Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Trip Daddy X posted:

4G: LTE 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600

Will this phone work on T-Mobile? I notice the 1700 band is missing.

Anyone know? Looking to buy a phone but want to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trip Daddy X posted:

Anyone know? Looking to buy a phone but want to make sure.

This might help:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2014/09/what-phone-works-with-which-operator.html

Looks like you'll really suffer when it comes to data connections since TMobile uses 1700 for 3G and primary LTE.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

This might help:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2014/09/what-phone-works-with-which-operator.html

Looks like you'll really suffer when it comes to data connections since TMobile uses 1700 for 3G and primary LTE.

Exactly what I needed, thanks! Glad I didn't spend the money yet.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
When you get a cellular iPad through tmobile, what happens once you go over your free 200mb? Does the internet cut out, or does it just slow down? I'm imagining it cuts out but I'd like to be sure.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

retpocileh posted:

When you get a cellular iPad through tmobile, what happens once you go over your free 200mb? Does the internet cut out, or does it just slow down? I'm imagining it cuts out but I'd like to be sure.

It stops after the free 200mb.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If I'm not happy with the storage capacity on my new iPhone (16gb), do I have any options for exchanging it and paying the difference? I'm kind of kicking myself for not ordering the 64gb.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

If I'm not happy with the storage capacity on my new iPhone (16gb), do I have any options for exchanging it and paying the difference? I'm kind of kicking myself for not ordering the 64gb.

You have 14 days to return it but will most likely be charged $50 for a restocking fee plus the $100 + tax difference.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I wish I had noticed that MLB At Bat is free for T-Mobile subscribers before the last day of regular season play. Love these extra little perks.

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
It's really disappointing that turning on wifi calling on an iPhone disables the ability to use an iPad to pick up calls.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You guys don't answer phone calls on a giant iPad, do you?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I imagine it'd be a speaker only sort of affair

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
With nothing attached, it's speaker-only, but it also works with headphones that have the little built-in mics (and, I assume, you could pair a bluetooth headset to an iPad). Handy when the phone is being charged in one room and I'm in another one. Come (probably) next month when the next major version of Mac OS comes out, you'll be able to share calls from your phone to your Mac, as well.

Anyway, my annoyance is that there are parts of my apartment that get zero cell signal on T-Mobile. So I'm having to toggle wifi calling and the phone handoffs on and off, depending on my use case at a particular moment. Fiddly and annoying.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

I wish I had noticed that MLB At Bat is free for T-Mobile subscribers before the last day of regular season play. Love these extra little perks.

Doesn't it go free every year this time?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

hotsauce posted:

Doesn't it go free every year this time?

At least on the last day of regular season, premium features like pitch-by-pitch and game-of-the-day live video still costed $4.99 on my wifi iPad.

When I tried the same things on my phone I got a popup that said "free on this device courtesy of T-Mobile."

I don't know what they do for postseason; This is the first time my team has made it there in 29 years.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

nougatmachine posted:

With nothing attached, it's speaker-only, but it also works with headphones that have the little built-in mics (and, I assume, you could pair a bluetooth headset to an iPad). Handy when the phone is being charged in one room and I'm in another one. Come (probably) next month when the next major version of Mac OS comes out, you'll be able to share calls from your phone to your Mac, as well.

Anyway, my annoyance is that there are parts of my apartment that get zero cell signal on T-Mobile. So I'm having to toggle wifi calling and the phone handoffs on and off, depending on my use case at a particular moment. Fiddly and annoying.

If you get service in a single spot in your apartment, but not others, you can get a free signal booster. I get LTE near my window, but deeper into my apartment I got nothing, so I walked into a TMobile store, signed a paper that says I will return it or pay $500 and walked out. Works great.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Thank god for free calling with google hangouts. The quality alone is worth it. Its super HD voice, better than any cell phone call I have ever heard. Also it doesn't use any minutes and only a small amount of data, zero if I use wifi. I don't see the point in using tmobile's wifi calling, just doing them a favor by not using their network.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

I had a quick question about the ETF deal. The phones I trade in have to be from the carrier I'm leaving, right? I have a bunch of old T-mobile androids from 4 years ago, but the T-Mobile rep said I had to trade in any Verizon branded phones. Is this correct? The rep also said I could get the lines now (2.5 gb family promotion ends today), and figure out the ETF deal later.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Resonance22 posted:

I had a quick question about the ETF deal. The phones I trade in have to be from the carrier I'm leaving, right? I have a bunch of old T-mobile androids from 4 years ago, but the T-Mobile rep said I had to trade in any Verizon branded phones. Is this correct? The rep also said I could get the lines now (2.5 gb family promotion ends today), and figure out the ETF deal later.

You can trade any phone. Doesn't even have to turn on. If you purchase phones from a store you must do it at the time you purchase a phone. You can't doll do it later. Also the 4 for $100 with 2.5 gigs of data got extended till the end of October.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
If anyone is wondering about the free CellSpot router, which is essentially the very highly-rated Asus RT-68U, I posted my experience here.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

ryangs posted:

If anyone is wondering about the free CellSpot router, which is essentially the very highly-rated Asus RT-68U, I posted my experience here.

When it arrived in the mail, I was ecstatic. I was like, "Wait, they are giving out one of the highest rated routers on the market?"

Also, isn't HD Voice supposed to work over it? Because it hasn't yet.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
I have a family plan (Even More Plus for Families 750 Talk + Text + Web and 4G Web - Unlimited) with T-Mobile and my wife just switched to AT&T because her work pays for it.

I don't mind T-Mobile and have been with them since 2003, but I don't have a contract and my HTC One (original) is unlocked.

When I go online to try to switch my plan (my wife ported her T-Mobile number to Google voice), it won't let me and gives me an 1-800 number to call. Are there any "special" plans I should try to play hardball to get when I give them a call? The standard 3 GB plan (looks like it is $60/mo, is that how much I would pay as a current customer?) or even the "Simple Starter 2GB plan" ($45/mo) seem fine to me, but I didn't want to be a sucker and miss out on something better. I see there is free music streaming for certain apps, so that sounds awesome and would cut out a lot of my data usage (I wish it did TuneInRadio though). Thanks.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
They didn't transition you off of that? :psyduck:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is it universal that employees at T-Mobile stores are completely unempowered? I wanted to exchange my 16 GB iPhone 6 for a larger one, but they said they couldn't accept returns in store if I ordered the phone through that store, and said if I wanted to do the exchange I'd have to return the phone, wait for it to get processed, then order the new phone and wait for that to get shipped (even if the store or one nearby has one available). I decided not to bother.

I also had an issue where they screwed up some aspect of my iPhone 4 trade-in, so I never got a shipping label or record on my account for it. Their solution was "Return the iPhone 6, wait for it to get processed, then bring your iPhone 4 into the store so we can start over again and order you a new iPhone 6." All that just to get the trade-in credit. I ended up calling customer service and talked to a nice guy who noticed that the retail store had never set me as the primary account holder when I opened the account through them, so that meant I wasn't seeing the trade-in info like I should.

It seems like T-Mobile might as well replace their corporate stores with a loving vending machine and a telephone.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 4, 2014

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Has anyone figured out how to purchase a CellSpot WiFi router for $99? The sale page is no longer listed on TMo's website, and I don't want to have to activate a Prepaid plan if they're still only sending them to Postpaid customers for a $25 deposit.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

FordPRefectLL posted:

They didn't transition you off of that? :psyduck:

I'm on the Classic 1000 Minute plan and they can take it from my cold dead hands. $173 a month for four lines all with unlimited text/data.

I figure they can always force price changes on the current plans. Keeping my grandfathered plan forever.

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 6, 2014

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

goku chewbacca posted:

Has anyone figured out how to purchase a CellSpot WiFi router for $99? The sale page is no longer listed on TMo's website, and I don't want to have to activate a Prepaid plan if they're still only sending them to Postpaid customers for a $25 deposit.

I think you can just go into a store and do it.

I just called customer care and they sent me one. They waved the deposit too! I didn't even ask.

But either method should allow you to purchase one.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I'm an idiot, wrong thread.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Last time I went to the store, they physically had them but had no way to ring them up and sell them. I called customer care and they waived the deposit and sent me one for free. Should be here in a few days.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

MycroftXXX posted:

Last time I went to the store, they physically had them [WiFi CellSpot Router] but had no way to ring them up and sell them. I called customer care and they waived the deposit and sent me one for free. Should be here in a few days.

Customer service transferred me to 3 different departments before telling me they're in-store only.

I called my local store, and they said the same thing -- had them in stock but something about serial or barcode numbers prevented them from ringing them up. They could order them for ship-to-home but he didn't know if they could order them for prepaid customers.

UnCarrier changes and promotions are really shaking things up, but they need to improve their training and customer service.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I don't suppose there's an ETA for Google Music being added to the list of streaming services besides vaguely later this year? I'm giving Spotify a go but the music organization is clunky at best, and artist radio is kind of terrible.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

hope and vaseline posted:

I don't suppose there's an ETA for Google Music being added to the list of streaming services besides vaguely later this year? I'm giving Spotify a go but the music organization is clunky at best, and artist radio is kind of terrible.

The rumor somewhere else was that they're still trying to figure out how to differentiate Google Music traffic from everything else coming out of Google.

No proof to back that up.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Considering the partnership with the MLB At Bat app, I am surprised they didn't offer free data for streaming of the game audio feeds.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

The rumor somewhere else was that they're still trying to figure out how to differentiate Google Music traffic from everything else coming out of Google.

No proof to back that up.

I always thought the music only was silly-- they should just up the throttled speed to 256k, enough to stream audio.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Qwijib0 posted:

I always thought the music only was silly-- they should just up the throttled speed to 256k, enough to stream audio.

Google Music is encrypted and comes from the same Play cloud as the other services. There's no way to detect what is music and what isn't, whether for throttling or something else. Modifying the app or Android to detect it that way isn't an option either and even if it was people would figure out in about 10 minutes how to basically make everything unlimited. That's the problem with Play Music.

Any word on when we might hear a release date on the Xperia Z3? I want to switch to T-Mobile and I want that phone.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Qwijib0 posted:

You're suggesting rather than not metering music streams, they just make it so once your data limit is reached, then your throttle connection is still sufficient to stream?

What if I use up my data with Spotify in a week, then the rest of the month EVERYTHING is stuck at your hypothetical 256k? That sounds less than ideal.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
Or you could just pay for unlimited everything and not worry about it

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Uncle Lizard posted:

Or you could just pay for unlimited everything and not worry about it

I mean, sure. That's what you and I do. But some people are poor, only able to afford the most basic of service on their futuristic pocket computer that connects them to the akashic record.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

You're suggesting rather than not metering music streams, they just make it so once your data limit is reached, then your throttle connection is still sufficient to stream?

What if I use up my data with Spotify in a week, then the rest of the month EVERYTHING is stuck at your hypothetical 256k? That sounds less than ideal.

But music would still be unlimited. :yayclod:

The essence of my argument is that they want to let you use unlimited data for 'normal' things like music, web, email, social and whatnot but prevent some jerk using it for his home connection. There's some throttled speed where once you've burned through your high speed it's still not painful for someone with no intent to use a mobile wireless service as a fixed service. Maybe it's 1 megabit? Picking winners and losers for streaming music seems like more work than it's worth.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
FYI T-Mobile is shipping out the Note 4 preorders early. I just got my tracking number and UPS has the shipment information already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Has anyone else found that iTunes Radio streaming is being erroneously counted against their unthrottled data cap? This has been my experience for a while now. I called customer service, was transferred to tech support, and went through a whole rigamarole with the tech. He concluded that, yes, iTunes Radio usage is erroneously counting towards my cap, but he couldn't give me an answer, or even an ETA as to when it might be fixed.