Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So it wasn't Hoser who bought it in California, not that it makes the loss of life any less tragic:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Pilot-killed-in-Yosemite-crash-was-veteran-at-5809564.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Heliosicle posted:

An F-15 just crashed in Lincolnshire (pilot is apparently safe)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-29544064

How long is the Air Force talking about flying the F-15C/D for? Until 2040?

poo poo I know my jet was as old as I am and it was a newer model F-15.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Nerobro posted:

Total engine failure on a V-22 is "bailout". Single engine failure is handled via a pair of gearboxes and a cross airframe driveshaft. So.. there's never a "asyemtrical thrust" situation. If there is, (eg, gearbox becomes metal slush) that too is a "bail out and pray" situation.

It glides. It also autorotates. How well? Who knows. Not as well as a real airplane sure, and not as well as a real helicopter. But a total power loss in any aircraft is a really bad day.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is "bail out" an actual option on a V-22? Do pilots carry parachutes and are there ejection seats?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

MrYenko posted:

I literally lifted this from the Karem website for their entrant, the "Optimum Speed Tilt Rotor."

I can't even tell if they're serious, or are just trolling the DoD.

At this point we should pretend to be contractors and come up with the most expensive looking picture to sell.

I'm thinking 10 V-22s daisy chained with an F-35 in tow.

e: B-2 needs to be in the picture as well

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 9, 2014

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Job Truniht posted:

At this point we should pretend to be contractors and come up with the most expensive looking picture to sell.

I'm thinking 10 V-22s daisy chained with an F-35 in tow.

e: B-2 needs to be in the picture as well

semperfi.jpg

Hank Killinger
Jul 13, 2008

ehnus posted:

semperfi.jpg

What's the fuel burn rate for the f35 to be in partial(?) vtol mode like that? Is what's happening in that image like some kind of aeronautical human centipede?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

ehnus posted:

semperfi.jpg

"But it's burning more fuel than it's taking in!"

"We'll just fly it attached. It'll have increased combat range!"

*news footage of f-35 bombing targets while attached to a V-22*

*cuts over a terrorist interview*

"The locals call it Dragon Fly"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Something like that. But realistically, there won't be a sixth generation fighter until probably a decade after that, if we start now. The program that resulted in the F-22 started in 1981. IOC was 2005 IIRC...and these things only get slower each time.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Hank Killinger posted:

What's the fuel burn rate for the f35 to be in partial(?) vtol mode like that? Is what's happening in that image like some kind of aeronautical human centipede?

Why don't they do it with the V-22 in normal flight so the F-35 doesn't have to have AB on?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

poo poo I know my jet was as old as I am and it was a newer model F-15.

Not sure what the current internal plans are. All I could find was 2025 on Wiki. As of a JUL2013 report to congress USAF F-35 IOC is supposedly between AUG2016-DEC2016.

https://www.f35.com/assets/uploads/downloads/12994/f-35_ioc_joint_report_final.pdf

Yeah, I'm sure they'll stick to those dates this time... Shockingly the Marines are trying to beat everyone to IOC. I'm sure the B model will be hunky dory by this time next fall. :rolleyes:

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Bob A Feet posted:

It glides. It also autorotates. How well? Who knows. Not as well as a real airplane sure, and not as well as a real helicopter. But a total power loss in any aircraft is a really bad day.

From what I've read it's a nightmare to get the flare timing right for auto rotation. Has that changed in the last year or two? I mean compared to a -60. I really hope you or anyone else will never have to give it shot for real.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Godholio posted:

Something like that. But realistically, there won't be a sixth generation fighter until probably a decade after that, if we start now. The program that resulted in the F-22 started in 1981. IOC was 2005 IIRC...and these things only get slower each time.

Given how stupidly expensive the F-35 has gotten, they should restart F-22 production (and allow Canada and Australia to buy it) to replace the 15's. It's not like there is anything else even on the drawing boards anywhere in the world (that I'm aware of) that can compete with it for air superiority.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Barnsy posted:

Why don't they do it with the V-22 in normal flight so the F-35 doesn't have to have AB on?

CS 6 doesn't support level flight mode yet. Supposed to be in the next patch.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

The Locator posted:

Given how stupidly expensive the F-35 has gotten, they should restart F-22 production (and allow Canada and Australia to buy it) to replace the 15's. It's not like there is anything else even on the drawing boards anywhere in the world (that I'm aware of) that can compete with it for air superiority.

We couldn't even if we wanted to. The whole "securing sales by spreading jobs" extends to partner countries as well. F-35 is a huge employer of engineers in Australia, Canada, UK and every other country that's buying it. That's why we're all buying it. Lock-Mart are evil, but they're not stupid.

:(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Captain Postal posted:

We couldn't even if we wanted to. The whole "securing sales by spreading jobs" extends to partner countries as well. F-35 is a huge employer of engineers in Australia, Canada, UK and every other country that's buying it. That's why we're all buying it. Lock-Mart are evil, but they're not stupid.

:(

I didn't mean to cancel the F-35, I meant to replace the F-15's in the air superiority role, not in the huge quantities that they are talking about for the F-35, but more along the lines of the original number that was authorized for the F-22, so that we'd have a credible air superiority force to protect the F-35's from getting strafed while they are on the runways burning.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Tremblay posted:

From what I've read it's a nightmare to get the flare timing right for auto rotation. Has that changed in the last year or two? I mean compared to a -60. I really hope you or anyone else will never have to give it shot for real.

Bailing out is not an option but yeah an autorotation is a worst of the worst case. Thankfully the plane has plenty enough brawn to fly on a single engine and we don't hang out in the helicopter mode either, which really reduces the likelihood.

It has low inertia blades so if you don't nail the autorotative entry its pretty hard (requires lots of all altitude) to regain that rotor speed. And because of that the flare has to be done high. We only have simulator models of it and tests dones to a simulated hard deck at altitude, so no one really knows. We do it in the simulator occasionally but to even properly enter it we have to put ourselves at altitude we'd never see in VTOL.

All engines failed is pretty bleak in any aircraft that doesn't have a pop top on it. I see lots of people hate on helicopters/tilt for it, but hell even in a fixed wing aircraft your chances are slim unless you happen to be over some nice pavement.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Barnsy posted:

Because that's photoshopped.

u-unless that's the joke

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

The Locator posted:

It's not like there is anything else even on the drawing boards anywhere in the world (that I'm aware of) that can compete with it for air superiority.

Yeah let's just go ahead and dust off my YF-23 love letters and fanfic.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

The Locator posted:

It's not like there is anything else even on the drawing boards anywhere in the world (that I'm aware of) that can compete with it for air superiority.

I know this thread likes to play the 'America #1 Rah Rah Rah' routine, but you have to at least admit that the Pak Fa is competitive to the F22, even if it does have some engine teething problems.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SybilVimes posted:

I know this thread likes to play the 'America #1 Rah Rah Rah' routine, but you have to at least admit that the Pak Fa is competitive to the F22, even if it does have some engine teething problems.

I guess I need to keep up on things better before commenting!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SybilVimes posted:

Is it really though? I mean, has the pak fa even reached a level of testing that would show that it might be competitive? I mean, it seems closer to a stealth eagle than an f-22 from what googling I've found (pak fa claiming to be 30 times stealthier than an su-27, versus an f-22 which claims to be 250 times stealthier than an f-117).

At least from the underside the pak fa even looks like an su-27 with some extra doors and new wings added on

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Bob A Feet posted:

"glides" Something tells me a V-22 glides like the space shuttle. Or a Leerjet with the thrust reversers on. They might be able to auto-rotate, but that's only useful if the gearboxes and driveshafts are intact. Something tells me if you need to auto-rotate, at least one of those gearboxes won't be functioning.

When I say "bail out" I actually mean "die."

Total power loss on most airplanes is "concerning" but not "really bad day."

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

SybilVimes posted:

Do we even know anything about the PAK-FA to make a claim like that?

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 9, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nerobro posted:

Rigid rotors fix the asyemtical lift issue.

Wait, what?

In forward flight, advancing blade has a higher airspeed than the retreating blade, and generates more lift than the retreating blade, which generates assymmetry of lift. That's with a rigid blade. That's specifically why you get away from rigid rotors and let the blade flap: the increased lift just causes the advancing blade to flap upward a bit, which reduces its AOA and its lift. Retreating blade does the opposite, flaps downward and increases AOA and lift, and all that together equalizes lift across the rotor disc.

Rigid rotors are the cause of lift assymetry, not the solution to it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's just nero, don't get mad

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
There's no way that an auto in the V-22 does anything more than slow your crash slightly. Those rotor blades have like zero inertia.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

A Melted Tarp posted:

There's no way that an auto in the V-22 does anything more than slow your crash slightly. Those rotor blades have like zero inertia.

Isn't that what all autos are for? To be able to walk or be carried away from the scene of the crash, right?

Except for autogyros, autorotating down isn't something you're doing on the regular.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Isn't that what all autos are for? To be able to walk or be carried away from the scene of the crash, right?

Except for autogyros, autorotating down isn't something you're doing on the regular.
No if you don't gently caress up it's a p smooth landing. It's something you can practice outside a sim in normal rotaries.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

evil_bunnY posted:

No if you don't gently caress up it's a p smooth landing. It's something you can practice outside a sim in normal rotaries.

This. It's like dead-stick landings in fixed-wing, it's part of your standard training and you need to be demonstrate proficiency in them before you're even allowed to be a pilot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Even for V-22 sized rotor wings like a CH-53 or chinook?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Phanatic posted:

Wait, what?

In forward flight, advancing blade has a higher airspeed than the retreating blade, and generates more lift than the retreating blade, which generates assymmetry of lift. That's with a rigid blade. That's specifically why you get away from rigid rotors and let the blade flap: the increased lift just causes the advancing blade to flap upward a bit, which reduces its AOA and its lift. Retreating blade does the opposite, flaps downward and increases AOA and lift, and all that together equalizes lift across the rotor disc.

You're right that they'd have more asymmetry of lift, but what he meant they'd "fix" was the result of that asymmetry, the disks tilting opposite directions.

The fix for the asymmetry itself is the rotors going opposite directions and cancelling out each other's asymmetries.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

Is it really though? I mean, has the pak fa even reached a level of testing that would show that it might be competitive? I mean, it seems closer to a stealth eagle than an f-22 from what googling I've found (pak fa claiming to be 30 times stealthier than an su-27, versus an f-22 which claims to be 250 times stealthier than an f-117).

At least from the underside the pak fa even looks like an su-27 with some extra doors and new wings added on

It's pretty clear from that picture that the thing isn't anywhere near as stealthy as an F-22. The 22 maintainers have these electronic scanner tools that run along the surface and look for misaligned panels or tiny gaps on the order of <1mm. Everything is designed to fit perfectly flush and leave no unintentional radar reflections. It's amazingly smooth.

Meanwhile, the PAK-FA has visible rivets, louvers all over the place, gaps that you could get your fingers caught in and what appears to be a poorly executed stick weld all over the bottom of the fuselage.

Relevant comparison image:

Makes it all the more amazing that the YF-23 supposedly had an even smaller signature than the F-22 did. (and it was faster and looked way more wicked and probably would have been cheaper but that's neither here nor there, I'm not mad :argh: )

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

SybilVimes posted:

Yeah I've actually defended the PAK-FA in this thread (or the TFR one) before but putting it on the level of the F-22 is a major stretch because for the most part it's a Flanker+ with weapon bays right now. None of the major systems like the planned engine or the full radar suite are off the ground yet IIRC, and Russia is running into some real problems funding its buildup plans when oil prices are slipping under $80 a barrel.

It will probably be an improvement of the Flanker family, which is by all means a good airplane, but we're still far from knowing how good. The Flanker is very comparable to the F-15 family more so then the F-22.

What can probably be said though is that if it comes in around $100m+ with most of its promises, it will likely be a much more interesting G5+ export option then the F-35, at least for a lot of countries where Lockheed can't dig their claws deep or where they've sold well in the past.

That's also assuming Putin doesn't lose it and turn everything into molten glass by then or whatever.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 9, 2014

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Phanatic posted:

In forward flight, advancing blade has a higher airspeed than the retreating blade, and generates more lift than the retreating blade, which generates assymmetry of lift. That's with a rigid blade. *snip*

It was a comment specific to coaxial rotor systems. Rigid blades don't cross paths like rotors with hinges do.

Airspeed is the cause of lift asymmetry. Flappy rotor hinges stop the rotor heads from ripping themselves apart.

Modern (read composites) let you build stiff enough rotors to withstand the lift asymmetry, and with coaxial rotors your total lift is symmetric.

evil_bunnY posted:

The V-22 is not normal in any respect.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Neato, google is doing a new thing.

Narrow win for the F-22 there.

Anyway, had to read the wiki article on the F-22 again, it has some amazing facts.

quote:

In 2007, the F-22's radar was used as a wireless data transceiver during tests, transmitting data at 548 megabits per second and receiving at gigabit speed, far faster than the Link 16 system

Which is probably happening at some not-inconsiderable range as well! And...

quote:

The F-22's software has some 1.7 million lines of code, the majority involving processing radar data.

...it's only about half the size of a HP printer driver for Win XP.

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 9, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ola posted:

Assuming LockMart isn't shoving 500mb of advertisements for their other products in with the actual program. (They aren't, they send those directly to post-retirement-consulting-jobs@af.mil.)

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Ola posted:

quote:

The F-22's software has some 1.7 million lines of code, the majority involving processing radar data.

1.7 million lines of C++ rather than Ada :stonklol:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ola posted:

Anyway, had to read the wiki article on the F-22 again, it has some amazing facts.

Which is probably happening at some not-inconsiderable range as well

That's really really impressively fast. God drat.

1Gbps downstream is insane even for residential fibre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Range 5,500 km? Shenanigans.