Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tiggum posted:

Every other character is voiced though. All the dialogue options you can choose result in context-appropriate, fully-voiced dialogue from whatever NPC(s) you're talking to. Obviously those don't all need to be unique, sometimes the same response will work either way, but compared with all that, how much extra is it to give the player character a voice?

Well yes, they are. But adding an avatar, each with a specific "personality," to then inflect on every line of dialogue those characters respond to is adding a fuckton of actors who all have the exact same lines. That's 30 actors with a full games worth of dialogue to read, and they're paid by the word. Dragon Age already reused a ton of actors to play major and minor characters; Cullen and the original Anders are the same dude. If you added dialogue for every single bark set you have to take whatever they paid Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale to do Mass Effect and multiply it by 15. At minimum.

If it's any consolation, Dragon Age Inquistion will let you pick Male/Female + American/British.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lotish posted:

Well yes, they are. But adding an avatar, each with a specific "personality," to then inflect on every line of dialogue those characters respond to is adding a fuckton of actors who all have the exact same lines. That's 30 actors with a full games worth of dialogue to read, and they're paid by the word. Dragon Age already reused a ton of actors to play major and minor characters; Cullen and the original Anders are the same dude. If you added dialogue for every single bark set you have to take whatever they paid Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale to do Mass Effect and multiply it by 15. At minimum.

If it's any consolation, Dragon Age Inquistion will let you pick Male/Female + American/British.

I was just talking about having one male and one female player character voice, not 30 actors. :confused:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I was just talking about having one male and one female player character voice, not 30 actors. :confused:

It still costs a lot and limits what responses and possible mannerisms a protagonist can use, more so then when the silent protagonist responds to voiced characters. I would assume this is one of the main reasons for keeping the protagonist silent throughout development.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I'm playing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and the save points in the game are really far apart and arbitrary. Why can't this game just let the player save when they like? I've been forced to repeat every loving stage of this game at some point so far because life stuff comes up and I need to quit before I manage to trigger a save. It's really sucking the fun out of the game for me, and I normally love slow rear end, meandering mystery games.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Rick_Hunter posted:

On topic: I'm about 3/4 through Sleeping Dogs and I wasn't getting enough Triad (Evil) XP, so I looked online to find people complaining about the lack of Triad XP in missions and that the only way you could get more is by replaying main story missions. Even then you only get a marginal increase because you're just overwriting your previous record. You can buy clothing that increases the XP gain during missions but the Triad XP is so finely tuned that you pretty much have to get a perfect Triad score for every mission to reach Level 10 and get the achievement.

Unless you buy the $2-3 DLC that will surely put you over level 10. :argh:

This is in stark contrast to the fact that the other 2 XP types in the game are given more than enough missions to fill them out. I finished both of the other ones by about halfway through the game.

I had to buy the silver pack (or what ever it's called) wasn't so bad since the game was free on PS+. The illegal side missions such as stealing cars for Tran, or street racing, really should've rewarded Triad XP as well as Face xp.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tiggum posted:

Sorry, I thought when you said picking a voice didn't then lead to all that character's lines being voiced you meant you wanted the voice you picked to be the one voicing all the lines, which would mean 30 actors for all the voices between all races, genders and personalities available at character creation.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Oct 8, 2014

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
re: Steve Blum

My friends and I play a version of Start To Crate, and that's Start To Blum, or how long it takes from the opening credits to the first time you encounter Steve Blum.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Accordion Man posted:

Steve Blum has a lot of range, he's just typecasted as hell.

he was a great starscream

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

slingshot effect posted:

re: Steve Blum

My friends and I play a version of Start To Crate, and that's Start To Blum, or how long it takes from the opening credits to the first time you encounter Steve Blum.

I had this thread in mind as I started playing Shadow of Mordor. And I was thrilled that, 9 hours in, I hadn't heard him. But then the "Dark Lord" showed up in a cinematic, and there you go. It hit me like a dart on his first spoken syllable.

Blum's Law: If there are voices in a video game, one of them must be Steve Blum's.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Dark Souls II... literally everything about the Blue Sentinels. God, it is just the worst. I've played about seven different characters to the endgame, and probably clocked at ~least~ a hundred hours total (blind guess, I'm bad at math). And yet, to this day, I have only ever gotten summoned as a blue phantom once. Three times, if you count two other occasions where I used blue cracked eye orbs to invade someone. But that was back near launch. As of late, I can't even seem to get that to work either. I've tried going to every area in the game just to pop an orb, and always get "unable to find a world to invade" immediately.

And yet, to complete the covenant, I have to rack up 500 victories. Compared to something semi-reasonable like the Dragon Remnants, who only have to do 50 or so. So yeah, I'm literally never going to get that off my checklist.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Diablo 3's drop system bugs the poo poo out of me, and it quickly saps my desire to continue playing. There's no specificity to anything: maybe that monster will drop a item, but there's an equal chance of it dropping everything else besides what you're gunning for.

I'm spoiled by World Of Warcraft's drop system, I suppose. I like compiling a list of items I want, and know that if I attack specific enemies enough, I will get those items.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

MisterBibs posted:

Diablo 3's drop system bugs the poo poo out of me, and it quickly saps my desire to continue playing. There's no specificity to anything: maybe that monster will drop a item, but there's an equal chance of it dropping everything else besides what you're gunning for.

I'm spoiled by World Of Warcraft's drop system, I suppose. I like compiling a list of items I want, and know that if I attack specific enemies enough, I will get those items.

To be fair, if every boss in Diablo 3 had a loot table like in WoW, people would very quickly be done with the game, like other dungeon crawlers, Diablo relies upon random drops to keep people hooked, and even when legendaries do drop, you have to cross your fingers that it's any good to start with. :v:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Judge Tesla posted:

To be fair, if every boss in Diablo 3 had a loot table like in WoW, people would very quickly be done with the game, like other dungeon crawlers, Diablo relies upon random drops to keep people hooked, and even when legendaries do drop, you have to cross your fingers that it's any good to start with. :v:

And really the gambling system has really trivialized the "randomness" of the game. Sure there are some highly sought after items but with 1-2 hours of play a night at most I've got 4 characters in their full T6 capable gear.

The gear grind is also severely reduced if you're running with a party. I'm pretty sure I've giving other DH's full pieces of M6 over the course of a few hours.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Judge Tesla posted:

Diablo 2 worked liked that and it's not like people didn't log a billion hours into that game.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

Diablo 2 worked liked that and it's not like people didn't log a billion hours into that game.

D2 didn't exactly have loot tables but certain mobs and smaller ones based on their levels. You could farm pindleskin for days and not see the item you wanted even though he had a better chance to drop it.

Also, ZOD runes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

m.hache posted:

Also, ZOD runes.

Oh god no why did you have to remind me. :can:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

Oh god no why did you have to remind me. :can:

I think blizzard realized they needed bots in that game to make it last. Was probably more work to change drop rates than it was to just ban wave thousands of bots then sell thousands of more CD keys for $5 a pop.

All in all a good business model.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Generic American posted:

And yet, to complete the covenant, I have to rack up 500 victories. Compared to something semi-reasonable like the Dragon Remnants, who only have to do 50 or so. So yeah, I'm literally never going to get that off my checklist.

It's even worse than that...you have to essentially have a "positive" rating of 500. Every loss (meaning you or your host dies,) brings you back down...so even if you get 500 victories, but 100 losses, you're actually only at 400 and still haven't "finished" the covenant.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been told the blue sentinels are really a ng+ covenant, and that has a huge impact on your blue invasion rates. Doesn't make the 500 rating thing any less bullshit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lotish posted:

I've been told the blue sentinels are really a ng+ covenant, and that has a huge impact on your blue invasion rates. Doesn't make the 500 rating thing any less bullshit.

I think you can get everything they offer from NG++ vendors or killing their faction NPC. I don't know whether there being no unique reward for that insane grind is a good thing or not.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

The Moon Monster posted:

I think you can get everything they offer from NG++ vendors or killing their faction NPC. I don't know whether there being no unique reward for that insane grind is a good thing or not.

I think you can only get the armor set from grinding ranks, but yeah, almost all the covenant rewards can be earned without actually doing what the covenant is designed to do.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really wish there was an option in the Assassin's Creed games to opt out of the modern sections. I seriously could not care less about some stupid, already dated as hell END OF THE WORLD 2012 garbage. Also Desmond is astonishingly boring. 4 was okay and actually interesting at first but then within a couple trips to the modern world you realize exactly where it's going and where's it's going to end.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Oct 10, 2014

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's even worse than that...you have to essentially have a "positive" rating of 500. Every loss (meaning you or your host dies,) brings you back down...so even if you get 500 victories, but 100 losses, you're actually only at 400 and still haven't "finished" the covenant.
That's only the brotherhood of blood, thankfully. Sentinels are just straight up wins.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Rick_Hunter posted:

On topic: I'm about 3/4 through Sleeping Dogs and I wasn't getting enough Triad (Evil) XP, so I looked online to find people complaining about the lack of Triad XP in missions and that the only way you could get more is by replaying main story missions. Even then you only get a marginal increase because you're just overwriting your previous record. You can buy clothing that increases the XP gain during missions but the Triad XP is so finely tuned that you pretty much have to get a perfect Triad score for every mission to reach Level 10 and get the achievement.

Unless you buy the $2-3 DLC that will surely put you over level 10. :argh:

This is in stark contrast to the fact that the other 2 XP types in the game are given more than enough missions to fill them out. I finished both of the other ones by about halfway through the game.

I may be mis-remembering since it's been a long time but couldn't you participate in the temple fighting thing for Triad XP? I remember grinding that fight at the very least. I managed to platinum the game without spending a cent on DLC, at least.

Fake edit: Ah poo poo, that's this: http://sleepingdogs.wikia.com/wiki/Shaolin_Showdown which is DLC that was included in my version (ANZ Edition) of the game. Sorry!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, I didn't play the game until it went on sale with a bunch of DLC on offer, and there were a bunch of side missions like survival fights and riding shotgun on a drug run that gave me so much Triad XP I had that maxed out before I touched even 3/5s of the story. I had no idea it was so tight in the original release.

edit: Though that reminds me of one such drug run side mission where my AI driver took a wrong turn and got stuck next to a wall, and motorcycles kept spawning and coming up to attack us, and I kept popping people, and eventually we were completely smothered in mountains of motorcycles until finally they got off enough lucky shots to blow us all up.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 04:39 on Oct 10, 2014

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpExMj4N6Bk

It's actually pretty funny to watch afterwards, but currently being the victim of it is super annoying.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Related to the Super Metroid wall jump chat from a few pages ago:

That lemur laughs at your pitiful attempt at a wall jump.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm kinda in the middle of Games I Want To Play Obsessively, so I might have a lot of these to come:

I can't get into Borderlands 2 due to its moving-ruins-your-aim mechanic. I pretty much hate it in any game that uses it, unless it comes with a corresponding you-can-move-without-ruining-your-aim mechanic.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I didn't play the game until it went on sale with a bunch of DLC on offer, and there were a bunch of side missions like survival fights and riding shotgun on a drug run that gave me so much Triad XP I had that maxed out before I touched even 3/5s of the story. I had no idea it was so tight in the original release.

edit: Though that reminds me of one such drug run side mission where my AI driver took a wrong turn and got stuck next to a wall, and motorcycles kept spawning and coming up to attack us, and I kept popping people, and eventually we were completely smothered in mountains of motorcycles until finally they got off enough lucky shots to blow us all up.

I think you're confusing some of those missions with the Face and favor missions. Though most of them were for Triad activities, all they gave you was Face XP so you could get better food buffs and get discounts.

For what it's worth, I finished the game and reached Triad 10 before the last mission, but I find it kind of stupid the way I did it: Several of the later missions are cover shooter heavy, so the best way to max out Triad XP was to disarm then headshot the enemy. In a game trying to look like a Hong Kong action movie it made sense.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I looked it up, and what I was thinking of were the DLC Shaolin Showdown, Triad Highway and Death by a Thousand Cuts repeatable missions. And they gave Triad XP.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
APB: The restrictions of clothing for both genders and factions. I dunno, maybe I can understand faction clothing, but why is there gender restrictions? It has customization on par with saints row, and there are a few articles of clothing that would work great for my outfit, but can't cause I'm the wrong gender. I mean, I can have a dude run around in a thong and top hat, but I can't make him wear a skirt or let a woman wear a certain pair of shorts?

I'm sure the answer is cause they'll need to make secondary models for the opposite gender, to which I respond with "Get to work assholes, stop throwing out more overpowered weapons that one can only get with real life money"

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There this thing that I always find really distracting in all of the assassins creed games: Enemies run around exactly the same goddamned way you do. They'll climb over and around poo poo like you do, and a lot of them fight the same way too. I find it incredibly odd that Spainish soldiers and marines climb around on poo poo like a half drunk, plunder-and-murder crazed lunatic. Or that British and Spainish soldiers fight exactly the same, which is the same way that basically everyone fights. Even the assassins don't have any different styles that really stand out. There's different enemy types, sure, but those types are present across most groups of people.

I mean I know mocap is expensive, but c'mon, folks, put some effort in. Uncharted has different animation sets amongst the different characters, especially the major NPCs or groups. Sully doesn't climb the same way as Drake does, but Elena has a style similar to Drakes. Sully climbs like an old man, whereas Nathan climbs like a monkey. It has a fantastic effect.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

There this thing that I always find really distracting in all of the assassins creed games: Enemies run around exactly the same goddamned way you do. They'll climb over and around poo poo like you do, and a lot of them fight the same way too. I find it incredibly odd that Spainish soldiers and marines climb around on poo poo like a half drunk, plunder-and-murder crazed lunatic. Or that British and Spainish soldiers fight exactly the same, which is the same way that basically everyone fights. Even the assassins don't have any different styles that really stand out. There's different enemy types, sure, but those types are present across most groups of people.

I mean I know mocap is expensive, but c'mon, folks, put some effort in. Uncharted has different animation sets amongst the different characters, especially the major NPCs or groups. Sully doesn't climb the same way as Drake does, but Elena has a style similar to Drakes. Sully climbs like an old man, whereas Nathan climbs like a monkey. It has a fantastic effect.

You... have a very good point, and might explain why combat feels so dull and lifeless in the AssCreed games. At most there are what, three types of enemies (Light/Normal/Heavy)? With light really only being different in that they can run faster than you. Different styles might make the encounters at least a smidgen interesting beyond "stand in place, counter kill extend into kill chain, counter kill, repeat ad nauseum."

That and their free running being on par with yours makes it seem less significant. I get that it's a gameplay caveat or else you could escape almost any fight by going vertical but that doesn't make it any less true. Hell, you should be able to escape most fights, you're a ninja-assassin not a street brawler who can only end fights when there's dozens of bodies on the ground.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You can out run most of them, but i seem to remember most enemies were less good at parkour and mostly favor ladders and the like. That seems to have changed somewhat. I understand dudes being parkour crazy on ships, because it makes sense. But otherwise its just like wait what are they assassins too?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Yeah, that's always bugged me about the AC series. You've devoted your life to becoming an instrument of death, and you're marginally better at parkour than the contemporary equivalent of beat cops.

The problem with guards being too good at parkour is that it's pretty much the only workable solution to the design choices they made. They decided that parkour would simply be a matter of holding the parkour button and moving in a direction, which means that the very act of parkour is not engaging to the player, and this, I believe, is the critical mistake that belies the whole system. If parkouring from building to building is not in of itself a challenge, then some challenge must be introduced, since parkour constitutes the majority of playtime. Guards on rooftops introduces the necessary element of challenge, at the cost of devaluing parkour. If climbing and leaping required player skill, then you could get away with guards who can't keep up, because the very act of getting away would present challenge.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's super apparent in AC3, where the chubby british drumplaying soldiers were as agile and adept at parkour as the enormous, lithe man who has been doing it for the entirety of his life.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

DStecks posted:

Yeah, that's always bugged me about the AC series. You've devoted your life to becoming an instrument of death, and you're marginally better at parkour than the contemporary equivalent of beat cops.

The problem with guards being too good at parkour is that it's pretty much the only workable solution to the design choices they made. They decided that parkour would simply be a matter of holding the parkour button and moving in a direction, which means that the very act of parkour is not engaging to the player, and this, I believe, is the critical mistake that belies the whole system. If parkouring from building to building is not in of itself a challenge, then some challenge must be introduced, since parkour constitutes the majority of playtime. Guards on rooftops introduces the necessary element of challenge, at the cost of devaluing parkour. If climbing and leaping required player skill, then you could get away with guards who can't keep up, because the very act of getting away would present challenge.

Are you saying it should have been more like Mirror's Edge?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
It makes me sad that we live in a world where AssCreed was gradually improved and has yearly releases.

Meanwhile we have Mirror's Edge which after six years we have barely any info in regards to it's first sequel, even though it was announced a year ago.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Back to AssCreed Bro:

The final game section is just a series of story missions you have to accept, with no opportunity to gently caress around in the open world. And since the last collection mission for the ultimate armor and the first plot mission in the inescapable sequence leading straight to the endgame are right next to each other...

If you try to quit during the longass credit sequence, resuming will dump you right back into the final bit of gameplay. If you want to get to the postgame content, you have to allow the credits to play out.

(You can't actually hurry up and shank the poo poo out of the person in that sequence, no matter how much you want to)

There's a bunch of other minor stuff, but these things overshadow pretty much everything.

Ok, in more general complains: I actually stepped out of the animus this time around. There are little sequence that flesh out Desmond's team and make them slightly more bearable. I believe the current favorite theory is that all the Desmond stuff was trying to inject personality into him in order to make him palatable as the protagonist of his own game. But none of the current day stuff even tries to give him personality. His team is interacting and displaying their assholish personalities, and Desmond's input is basically the milquetoast generic equivalent of a JRPG "?". A prompt for more info, no more, no less.

So many little bugs. My favorite one - failing the courtesan mission where you're supposed to defend two mercenaries for two minutes several times in a row with no idea as to what I was doing wrong - until I stopped trying to kill people and just hung back. Apparently if you kill all the enemies before time runs out, the mission fails. Fun times.

One more ray of hatred towards stupid fixed camera angles. Goddamn are those annoying.

The map is terrible in general, but the ability to choose which icons are displayed is rather nice. Shame you can't disable treasure chests icons, even though those are going to be the most frequent and useless icon by a longshot.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

DStecks posted:

I remember early on when they talked about making the parkour really straightforward and simple because of how much parkour you'd be doing, having it be more complex would hinder gameplay. I think they shot themselves in the foot with that though, because they've sorta weakened it. I mean they could still have it work, with careful level design and making it so most dudes are only positioned on roofs with ladders and they prioritize normal climbing instead of parkouring, parkouring at lower speeds and with different animation set, but that would be work.