Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Insanely Sikh posted:

Bad thread, bad posts. For shame

Yeah i just came back to 30+ posts of absolute poo poo. What the gently caress, shut up you dumb nerds.

Also, I started listening to the new Gambon and gave up after five minutes. How anyone likes that guy is beyond me. You can say "the production is good" but that's a cop out.

Ferg said his new album is "not A$AP Ferg, just Ferg" so who knows where it's going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
gambon = gambino aka donglover?

wrist
wrist
wrist
wrist
wrist
wrist
REMIX
wrist
wrist
wrist
wrist
wrist
wrist

edit: poo poo I just realized this is not Real Hip Hop Rap AND I found it on a blog. shh dont tell anyone tho cause from what I understand about this "rap game" business it is all about respect. hope this doesn't harm my street cred itt cause honestly I am white as poo poo and I don't even know what that means.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 9, 2014

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
I really dislike Ab-Soul's verse on Lakers. It's not real rap enough for my white rear end

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

New Dj Quick is streaming About half way through and it's good. Production is up to his high standard.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Insanely Sikh posted:

I really dislike Ab-Soul's verse on Lakers. It's not real rap enough for my white rear end

"I'm from out there, so don't... go there" is so lazy I can't help but laugh every time

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Kenshin posted:

Owns.

I might buy the album because I love weird hip-hop like this.

Here's something even stranger (also owns, except I can't speak Mongolian so I've got no idea what they are singing about):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuVLjAhsw-w

Apparently hip-hop has been picking up a lot in Mongolia among young people as internet access has picked up. These guys decided their version of hip-hop needed to better represent their culture. So they added polyphonic throat singing.

Finally, I can have a niche genre all to myself!

But seriously that was a cool find.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

snyprmag posted:

New Dj Quick is streaming About half way through and it's good. Production is up to his high standard.

Been meaning to ask if somebody could do a "where to start with dj quik?" post. I always like what i have heard here and there from him.

For example, http://youtu.be/Ub0zVVIVJ2w

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

thathonkey posted:

edit: poo poo I just realized this is not Real Hip Hop Rap AND I found it on a blog. shh dont tell anyone tho cause from what I understand about this "rap game" business it is all about respect. hope this doesn't harm my street cred itt cause honestly I am white as poo poo and I don't even know what that means.
i was the guy arguing that there is no such thing as "real rap" and that blogs are good so im not sure who you're angry at!! also on the subject of where to start with dj quik just listen to the album he released before his newest one. it's really good and a great starting point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXznTzqKlH8

Insanely Sikh posted:

i heard this from so many loving people but about the mac miller verse on the closing track

Yuzenn posted:

Alright now we have something to discuss. I'm probably a bit older than some of the people on this thread, but outside of catchyness and entertainment certain artists (lets use the given examples of Waka Flocka, or a French Montana, or even sometimes in a 2 Chainz) I don't personally think their music adds a lot of value towards the art or for the culture most of the time. That doesn't mean that it can't be good, or entertaining, or fun!
I think entertainment and fun are perfectly valid things to add to an artform though! The cool part about rap is that literally anyone can use the medium to express themself without getting caught up on expensive instruments or music theory. I love the huge variety of voices in rap from "conscious" stuff like open mike eagle to trap stuff like waka flocka to some kid on youtube with 2k views that without rap never would have been able to express himself. I agree that stuff like waka flocka doesn't have a important message to tell or anything like that but him expressing himself by making music that entertains and is fun DOES add value to the artform. Part of the reason i hate the new gucci tapes is because they're soulless and have no heart put into them. Those are the kind of mixtapes i would say add nothing of value to rap music

Yuzenn posted:

I grew up on Biggie and Pac and Big L and Big Pun (golden era) but what those guys all had that an alarming amount of rappers lack is a knack for telling a story behing their raps. There are a lot of guys who have some great production or energy behind what they do but that's it. Even a guy I listened to non stop in Cam'ron changed his style very deliberately from a danger zone Big L style rapper into a nursery rhyme simplistic style of rap. Know what? Dipset was catchy and fun as all hell. I'll give you another example: Kick in the door, which is one of my absolute favorite rap songs, is definitely about some ignorant rear end poo poo but it tells a very specific and vivid story (albeit using some very negative depictions of gun and violence towards women). Pac was also one of those artists who on top of being an actual poet (if you havn't read his books you should) and a really powerful actor and rapper, penned some extremely powerful songs that really resonate to this day. Honestly me being a "Rap Purist" may be a function of being of the age when people tend to start families but I have no problem rationalizing what those rappers meant to me growing up and how they were important to society, but some of these other artists will be a little more difficult to be apologetic about.
While i agree that the stuff that gets played on the radio has moved away from storytelling there's still a TON of rap being made with "stories". You probably already realised that though! I'll be honest i'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here but i guess you think rap songs can't be powerful without amazing storytelling? This probably has to do with our (big) age gaps but i think rap music can be powerful and resonating without deep lyrics. Something like this rich kidz song is inspiring and powerful to me because you can hear the pure joy and determination in their voices (and the beat is just a explosion of colors. i adore it). I think production and energy are just as important as the art of storytelling especially for the modern youth.

Yuzenn posted:

With that said, rap is intertwined with a whole lot of poo poo that isn't positive and is sometimes damaging, but at the end of the day that isn't always rap/hip hop/r&b's job. Music is perfectly fine about being just about enjoying it for whatever reason, for its ignorance, or how it makes you feel, or just to roll some weed up to...whatever. I can't get enough of ASAP Rocky, Pusha T, Slaughterhouse, Battle Rap etc etc etc, but at the same time I don't personally think some artists that make music right now are very talented either lyrically or in the content of what they say. For example, I'm not a Gucci fan but I know a lot of people in the thread are. I'm a Childish Gambino fan, and I know a lot of people don't like him on the thread as well, but the purpose of the thread is to expose each other to what we think is good and people can make their own decisions and opinions from there, no?
I completely agree with you on the first part. It's not hip hop's job to be positive or poo poo like that. People get mad at hip-hop for being a bad influence but it's not king louie's fault he was born in chicago and had a lovely life. most rappers rap about their experiences and maybe people should look at the reason these kids are rapping about nihilism and death instead of condemning them for being born in a place like Chicago. Anyways i don't think some of the artists making music right now are "talented" either but i think you don't need talent to make good music. Like i said earlier i love rap music for being very experimental and because it's a way for anyone in the world to express themselves no matter how poor or musically untrained they are. Something like young jefe's shy glizzy is way more enjoyable to me than technically impressive but shallow and boring stuff like legends never die. I agree that the thread should be about sharing music you love and i'm not trying to suppress that or anything. I'd just like more discussions like well...the one between us right now! I apologise for the aggression i showed in earlier posts though

Yuzenn posted:

All and all I just want rappers to put together coherent pieces of work and stories again, and if possible tell about how they see the world positive or negative. I bought Joell Ortiz's album and I can't wait for Big KRIT's albums because I think they have unique and interesting views and things to tell about their lives and how rap is intertwined with it.

TLDR;

I will be blasting Hot Nigga in my car on the way back home but I know that it's not really indicative of the rap that I love. But gently caress it sounds great.

Sorry for being all old man Ebro here and seriousing up the thread, ill go back to sticking to linking after this post, I swear.
We both completely agree on wanting to listen to rappers share their views and how they see the world. I just think complex storytelling isn't needed for that. I think albums like ratking's so it goes and king louie's tony are dyed in the colors of their city and worldviews even though they aren't very "lyrical". Also don't apologise for being serious in the rap thread. I enjoyed reading and replying to your post because rap is the greatest genre in the world and you can never talk too much about it :D

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Insanely Sikh posted:

I just got that line on Ab-soul's Pineal Gland "we overseas back to back never wore Chanel" like a week ago

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

thathonkey posted:

gambon = gambino aka donglover?

Whoops autocorrect .though to be honest a mixtape by Michael Gambon would probably be better.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

quote:

What’s up with Madvillainy 2?
M: We got some songs (laughs).

D: I mean we got a lot of it done already, part of that’s why we’re meeting up now to discuss some of that. It’s in effect but it’s hard to pinpoint exactly when.

M: Can’t rush with this kind of thing, especially after the first one.

D: It’s the follow up, without over thinking it though, it’s a continuation, ain’t gotta’ be better or worse. Where y’all last left off at, next episode. We got a lot of songs done. Two or three more songs and it’s wrapped up.
:troll:

http://www.rappcats.com/madlib-doom-2014/
http://www.bonafidemag.com/cover-story-madlib-interview/

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yuzenn posted:

At least we can agree on something!

Alright now we have something to discuss. I'm probably a bit older than some of the people on this thread, but outside of catchyness and entertainment certain artists (lets use the given examples of Waka Flocka, or a French Montana, or even sometimes in a 2 Chainz) I don't personally think their music adds a lot of value towards the art or for the culture most of the time. That doesn't mean that it can't be good, or entertaining, or fun!

I grew up on Biggie and Pac and Big L and Big Pun (golden era) but what those guys all had that an alarming amount of rappers lack is a knack for telling a story behing their raps. There are a lot of guys who have some great production or energy behind what they do but that's it. Even a guy I listened to non stop in Cam'ron changed his style very deliberately from a danger zone Big L style rapper into a nursery rhyme simplistic style of rap. Know what? Dipset was catchy and fun as all hell. I'll give you another example: Kick in the door, which is one of my absolute favorite rap songs, is definitely about some ignorant rear end poo poo but it tells a very specific and vivid story (albeit using some very negative depictions of gun and violence towards women). Pac was also one of those artists who on top of being an actual poet (if you havn't read his books you should) and a really powerful actor and rapper, penned some extremely powerful songs that really resonate to this day. Honestly me being a "Rap Purist" may be a function of being of the age when people tend to start families but I have no problem rationalizing what those rappers meant to me growing up and how they were important to society, but some of these other artists will be a little more difficult to be apologetic about.

See, I've talked about this a some before here and other places, but what you call the "golden era" was to a lot of dudes from the 80's a bunch of violent, gangsta bullshit. Like dudes in the early/mid 90's was hearing poo poo from dudes who grew up on KRS-One and PE and Brand Nubian and stuff about how all their music was just about bitches and guns and stuff.

And of the dudes you mentioned, none of them are dudes I'd consider really amazing rappers. Pac is one of the most overrated dudes ever in terms of his actual music-most of his import is actually due to his image and how he was marketed. His music is actually pretty simplistic usually, not much different than dudes like Waka or 2 chains. Biggie had one amazing, era-defining album, and one shiny-suited bloated mediocre album. And had dude not died, you just KNOW Puffy was gonna have that dude selling out more than Snoop. Big L is famous for dying, and Big Pun was purely a pop dude (who was also mostly famous for dying, and being really fat). Like a lot of your opinion is due to that being what you grew up with-separated by a little perspective there's nothing that special about the dudes you named besides them all dying.

Like the thing about most "rap purists" and rap vs. "hip-hop" discussions is they break down into what people 1) like and 2) grew up with. That's why I always talk about rap, and not hip-hop, and why when I poo poo on rappers I try to stick only to their quality, not some "authenticity" debate. As for import to society, I can easily rationalize the stuff that you talk down as being nearly as important (and really, it was only how Pac was built up in the media that makes a big difference).

quote:

With that said, rap is intertwined with a whole lot of poo poo that isn't positive and is sometimes damaging, but at the end of the day that isn't always rap/hip hop/r&b's job. Music is perfectly fine about being just about enjoying it for whatever reason, for its ignorance, or how it makes you feel, or just to roll some weed up to...whatever. I can't get enough of ASAP Rocky, Pusha T, Slaughterhouse, Battle Rap etc etc etc, but at the same time I don't personally think some artists that make music right now are very talented either lyrically or in the content of what they say. For example, I'm not a Gucci fan but I know a lot of people in the thread are. I'm a Childish Gambino fan, and I know a lot of people don't like him on the thread as well, but the purpose of the thread is to expose each other to what we think is good and people can make their own decisions and opinions from there, no?

All and all I just want rappers to put together coherent pieces of work and stories again, and if possible tell about how they see the world positive or negative. I bought Joell Ortiz's album and I can't wait for Big KRIT's albums because I think they have unique and interesting views and things to tell about their lives and how rap is intertwined with it.

TLDR;

I will be blasting Hot Nigga in my car on the way back home but I know that it's not really indicative of the rap that I love. But gently caress it sounds great.

Sorry for being all old man Ebro here and seriousing up the thread, ill go back to sticking to linking after this post, I swear.
You're 100% true that a lot of dudes making music right now aren't very talented lyrically or in content...but that's the case back in the 90's. Like, the best stuff ends up standing out, and also just gets built up over time. Flockaveli is flat-out a better album than Makaveli was, but Waka's still alive making EDM to appeal to white dudes and Pac got shot playing gangsta when dudes who didn't buy into their own hype were wisely chilling with that poo poo (i.e. Snoop). Waka has all that story stuff entwined in his stuff if you listen, it's not just presented the same way. 2 chains does too (French is garbage).

Like what you like of course, and I'm not gonna say things are entirely the same w/r/t content and delivery but it's not nearly the big gap you seem to indicate.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

alansmithee posted:

See, I've talked about this a some before here and other places, but what you call the "golden era" was to a lot of dudes from the 80's a bunch of violent, gangsta bullshit. Like dudes in the early/mid 90's was hearing poo poo from dudes who grew up on KRS-One and PE and Brand Nubian and stuff about how all their music was just about bitches and guns and stuff.
I don't think anyone in this thread thinks like this but yeah ton of dudes have this misconception that the 90s was some kind of super positive, deep and spiritual golden age for rap when in actuality the subject matter wasn't really all that different than what dudes rap about now. Obviously since it's a while ago there were tons of differences in style and what they actually rapped about but rapping about things like bitches and guns isn't some kind of new occurrence.

alansmithee posted:

And of the dudes you mentioned, none of them are dudes I'd consider really amazing rappers. Pac is one of the most overrated dudes ever in terms of his actual music-most of his import is actually due to his image and how he was marketed. His music is actually pretty simplistic usually, not much different than dudes like Waka or 2 chains. Biggie had one amazing, era-defining album, and one shiny-suited bloated mediocre album. And had dude not died, you just KNOW Puffy was gonna have that dude selling out more than Snoop. Big L is famous for dying, and Big Pun was purely a pop dude (who was also mostly famous for dying, and being really fat). Like a lot of your opinion is due to that being what you grew up with-separated by a little perspective there's nothing that special about the dudes you named besides them all dying.
I agree with all of this. I'm not a fan of Pac,Biggie or Big L to be honest. The only reason they've become mythical is because of their deaths. If Lil Wayne (who i personally think is way better than any of the old "legends") or hell even someone like Birdman had died before like 2009 they would be considered "legends" too. I also think it's just people glorifying the music of their youth.

alansmithee posted:

Like the thing about most "rap purists" and rap vs. "hip-hop" discussions is they break down into what people 1) like and 2) grew up with. That's why I always talk about rap, and not hip-hop, and why when I poo poo on rappers I try to stick only to their quality, not some "authenticity" debate. As for import to society, I can easily rationalize the stuff that you talk down as being nearly as important (and really, it was only how Pac was built up in the media that makes a big difference).

Yeah the music people like Waka Flocka or Drake make have a huge impact on society and the way people act. Also I agree that no one should poo poo on a rapper because of their "authenticity". I think people like Rick Ross have some great albums despite not being "real" but like how does that impact the quality of the music he makes? Do people seriously think Freddie Gibbs is some kind of Thug God that commits a felony everyday? (The answer is Yes as seen in the previous thread when some dude argued with me that Gary is actually some kind of trap god paradise where everyone is Gucci Mane and Freddie Gibbs despite the fact that he had never been there and i grew up around there.)

alansmithee posted:

You're 100% true that a lot of dudes making music right now aren't very talented lyrically or in content...but that's the case back in the 90's. Like, the best stuff ends up standing out, and also just gets built up over time. Flockaveli is flat-out a better album than Makaveli was, but Waka's still alive making EDM to appeal to white dudes and Pac got shot playing gangsta when dudes who didn't buy into their own hype were wisely chilling with that poo poo (i.e. Snoop). Waka has all that story stuff entwined in his stuff if you listen, it's not just presented the same way. 2 chains does too (French is garbage).

Like what you like of course, and I'm not gonna say things are entirely the same w/r/t content and delivery but it's not nearly the big gap you seem to indicate.
And this is one of the points i was making too. Flocka and 2 Chainz aren't "storytellers" or "lyrical" but they are definitely sending out stories and messages with their music. Just not in the same way as old rappers because it's 2014 and not 1994. The spoken word intro on So It Goes addresses this issue perfectly. Rap music hasn't become more shallow or worse...it's just different and there's a large generational gap.

....also i liked excuse my french :eng99:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I disagree with everything posted above me, for the record, as a real rap man.

Today, everyone is Snoop. People actually wrote rhymes on paper and performed in them in a studio booth in 90s. They thought about the words that were recorded on songs.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

shut the gently caress up u fags im trying to listen to thrift shop

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Crumbletron posted:

"I'm from out there, so don't... go there" is so lazy I can't help but laugh every time

I don't like Ab Soul but you know that's a biggie line right? Not that it makes it any less lazy

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I don't like Ab Soul but you know that's a biggie line right? Not that it makes it any less lazy

I did not but I'm also not a huge Biggie fan v:shobon:v

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
drat I saw 50 new posts and I though Spark Master Tape dropped a new mixtape.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

temple posted:

I disagree with everything posted above me, for the record, as a real rap man.

Today, everyone is Snoop. People actually wrote rhymes on paper and performed in them in a studio booth in 90s. They thought about the words that were recorded on songs.

They do that now too.

It's much easier to hear about a much wider variety of music now. Before, you pretty much had whatever stuff bubbled up to a national level, plus your local scene (if you had one). That meant that there was typically going to be a higher level of polish to whatever music was heard. And even then, I don't think anyone's gonna seriously say stuff like "Tootsie Roll", "Rump Shaker", "Jump", "U Can't Touch This", "Informer", etc etc were some amazing rap that's just not made today (because those were all from the "golden age" and were played all the loving time). I think MC Hammer still has like 2 of the top 10 selling rap albums of all time, both from the 90's.

I'm probably the oldest dude here, and tbh the late 90's/early 2000's shits all over the early/mid 90's in terms of quality music. Like if I were to pick a "golden age" it would def be 2000-2005 or so. But I wouldn't do that. Hell, I'd put the last 2 years up against pretty much any period in rap. Honestly the biggest difference to me between music now and in the 90's is the production, not the lyrics.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

alansmithee posted:

I'm probably the oldest dude here, and tbh the late 90's/early 2000's shits all over the early/mid 90's in terms of quality music.
Hello El-P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzW8691K-Fk

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Rap today is pretty good, in my opinion. However, I would love if most rappers would concentrate a bit more on the content instead of having the hook come up every ten seconds.

One of the reasons Kendric is one of my favorites today.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Budget Cop posted:

I think entertainment and fun are perfectly valid things to add to an artform though! The cool part about rap is that literally anyone can use the medium to express themself without getting caught up on expensive instruments or music theory. I love the huge variety of voices in rap from "conscious" stuff like open mike eagle to trap stuff like waka flocka to some kid on youtube with 2k views that without rap never would have been able to express himself.

dap

here are some real rap pro-clicks of young dudes on the come up i've been listening to recently

Philly rapper Eric Jamal murdering Both Parents in the back of a car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnhRtO4RASI

Chicago rapper K.O The God because that drillbop poo poo never gets old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TR8ek3g8x0

BX rapper King Ceazar has something special with this flow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuwN6llBGIk

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Smh what's with the big l hate in this thread. Dude rapped circles around essentially anyone and also made great songs which is something so many rappity rap dudes fail at. Yeah he is more known for dieing but that doesn't discount the music he made before that. He was the best rapper in arguably the 90s nyc rap crew with the most raw talent besides wutang

Edit: I would rank life stylez ov da poor & dangerous as a classic to the same extent of ready to die or the infamous.

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 10, 2014

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Excited for the new Party Supplies record. Loved Blue Chips 1, didn't care for Blue Chips 2. Ideas why that could be, I can't put my finger on it?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Profondo Rosso posted:

Smh what's with the big l hate in this thread. Dude rapped circles around essentially anyone and also made great songs which is something so many rappity rap dudes fail at. Yeah he is more known for dieing but that doesn't discount the music he made before that. He was the best rapper in arguably the 90s nyc rap crew with the most raw talent besides wutang

Edit: I would rank life stylez ov da poor & dangerous as a classic to the same extent of ready to die or the infamous.

I like biggie. I think everyone is just tired of him because he has a relatively limited amount of music and has been gone for a long time (you dont hear much about, eg, tupac here much either)? I dont listen to his music anymore mostly because i have heard it all a million times and that certainly doesnt make it bad. I hope the reason is along those lines, at least, cause he was a great rapper and like you say also made many many great songs unlike lots of other technically skilled guys.

Edit: \/\/\/ i am an idiot nvm

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 10, 2014

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

thathonkey posted:

I like biggie. I think everyone is just tired of him because he has a relatively limited amount of music and has been gone for a long time (you dont hear much about, eg, tupac here much either)? I hope, at least, cause he was a great rapper and like you say also made many many great songs unlike lots of other technically skilled guys.

I like biggie too but try rereading my post

Big l and biggie are two different dudes lol

http://youtu.be/pAhIoC9UnzU

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 10, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Hahaha omg i thought it was an"i" that you accidentally spaced out. Thats what i get for posting from my phone like 2 min after waking up. Welp. Your post makes way more sense now though :downs:

Edit: big L taught me
http://youtu.be/7WmYjNreVj4

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 10, 2014

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

It's cool lol.

Anyways I didn't like this song when it dropped a week ago but the more I hear it the more I like it. Tentatively looking forward to futures mixtape later this month
http://youtu.be/NjVvTod8SB0

Also I never see audiopush love here they've been dropping bangers lately. See this month old video: http://youtu.be/m4RsXmDp_yI

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 10, 2014

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
video is 3 days old but whatever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4WwcJUhkXs

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Tremendous Taste posted:

Excited for the new Party Supplies record. Loved Blue Chips 1, didn't care for Blue Chips 2. Ideas why that could be, I can't put my finger on it?

i feel the same way. I think that in blue chips 1, the production meshes perfectly with the rap, but on a lot of blue chips 2 it sounds like party supplies and bronson are competing for the spotlight. the louder and wackier the background track, the louder action bronson screams over it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah agreed, good point. That Party Supplies song featuring Bronson i posted last page or two is good because it is assured in its identity as a Party Supplies song, complemented by a rap verse. That being said, I still liked Blue Chips 2 though not as much as the first. Contemporary Man is a really cool song.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3EATLTuJ2A

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 10, 2014

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Also this is the best thing in hip hop in 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmBb_Sx7goQ

temple
Jul 29, 2006

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Also this is the best thing in hip hop in 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmBb_Sx7goQ

God bless you. I remember seeing that but almost farted it out my memory. Bobby Shmurda deserves his contract for that dance alone. The day you see black men stop dancing, worry.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
^^ Yes to the above 100 times, I get souped every time he does the hat throw....

There is a lot to type about but I'm going to keep it short since this has been eluded to: my rap tastes are mostly molded because of where I live and am from and the styles of the guys from when I was growing up. Just like everyone else I am a product of my environment. With that said, if you like a certain artist then they've done their job and its cool that you like it but I'm going to be just like B. Dot and pretty much hate a ton of the content coming out.

The only thing I will specifically note is that I very much disagree about Big L and Biggie and Pac and Pun being only known for being dead, those are some of the best rappers who ever walked this earth. It's silly to have a top 5 because of its subjectivity but outside of Eminem, Rakim, Jay-Z, Ye and Nas I'm not even close to putting anyone near those guys.

There is more than just that though, I stood in line to buy the CD's for Ryde or Dye Volume 1 and Diplomatic Immunity AND Lord Willing and Get Rich or Die Trying so I just don't wanna keep going back to the Mt. Rushmore of hip hop to talk about people I think are supremely talented. Like I said before there are specific people who come out with music right now that are really great at it, but there are so many more who I think just don't make very good music at all. Not everyone needs to go destroy 5 fingers of death for me to like them, but it sure as gently caress helps me to know whether they can rap or not. Even with that I think that guys like Oun- P, King Los, Astro, and Logic who can all REALLY rap won't make very albums or sell a whole lot. For me they fall into trap a lot of "lyrical" guys do and outrap every beat that they hop on and they don't have that "Radio Hit" kind of music making ability (and you need it). I really loving hate the radio anyway, but they have been and are going to be for the near future a driver of what people determine is "hot".

Basically what I want to get across is that there is no way I'm getting excited about anything a lot of the guys that I don't think are talented are doing while there's some really awesome stuff on the horizon : I mean, a DJ Premier/Royce Da 5'9" and a Run the Jewels 2 album coming out soon! I want to see more of Cyhi Da Prynce and Flatbush Zombies at the same time as wishing that Andre 3 stacks would drop a REAL solo joint. I think that we all agree about what makes rap great (or else we wouldn't post in this thread) but we are just going to have to disagree on who makes it great for us individually.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

LunaSky posted:

A friend of mine showed this to me it's really good. It reminds me of some old school rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Cy1Knyu6A

This is not what I was expecting at all and really good.

I was just reading an article about some Latino MC, and that went into a little about Latino rap stuff and w/e. And I couldn't help but think how I hate most of the cultural-specific rap stuff that those dudes put out, yet I definitely dig the above track. And I'm pretty sure the biggest reason is that dude here sticks to English. Rap in non-English just sounds horrible. The...rhythms or something aren't right.

Budget Cop posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread thinks like this but yeah ton of dudes have this misconception that the 90s was some kind of super positive, deep and spiritual golden age for rap when in actuality the subject matter wasn't really all that different than what dudes rap about now. Obviously since it's a while ago there were tons of differences in style and what they actually rapped about but rapping about things like bitches and guns isn't some kind of new occurrence.

My point wasn't that dudes think the 90's was all great or whatever. It was that in the 90's, dudes who grew up on 80's rap was saying 90's rap was all guns/hoes/bling/gangsta poo poo because they grew up on KRS-One, PE, etc. Basically, they saw the "golden age" as the 80's and thought the 90's stuff was all a bunch of untalented thugs. Which tied into my point about how when people talk about "real hip-hop" they just mean "poo poo I listened to when I was younger". It's no different than rock dudes who say there's been no good rock after Zeppelin and Pink Floyd or w/e.

Also as an aside I think it was 3 or 4 years ago at some Oh No dj event from Stones Throw they had some snippets from new Madvillain songs. I know Madlib said the problem had been since then actually getting in contact with DOOM, so I'm actually mildly hopeful that there may be something since for those interviews they were actually in the same room.

Profondo Rosso posted:

I don't hate him at all. I was speaking more to his cultural impact (or lack thereof). I'm not quite as high on life stylez as you, but dude seemed to have talent for sure. I'm just always a bit leery of going too gaga about dudes with one good album, because lots of folks in rap seem to have amazing debuts then just fall off.

And I thought that future song was only meh. I think dude's too "pop" now or something and we'll never hear another Karate Chop or Sh!t.
This is really cool and I love this whole aesthetic. Makes me wonder why Clams hasn't done anything in awhile since his stuff really was the predecessor for a lot of this and had a similar vibe.

temple posted:

Hello El-P
El-P would likely talk up the 90's stuff tbh. And fwiw he got started in the early 90's (think funcrusher ep was 94, but can't remember for sure).

Also Gleesh is straight. Dudes got some cool songs. Yung Fresh also had some cool stuff over Zaytoven production but I haven't heard from that dude in a minute.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

alansmithee posted:

New thread title

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

^^ Yes to the above 100 times, I get souped every time he does the hat throw....

There is a lot to type about but I'm going to keep it short since this has been eluded to: my rap tastes are mostly molded because of where I live and am from and the styles of the guys from when I was growing up. Just like everyone else I am a product of my environment. With that said, if you like a certain artist then they've done their job and its cool that you like it but I'm going to be just like B. Dot and pretty much hate a ton of the content coming out.

The only thing I will specifically note is that I very much disagree about Big L and Biggie and Pac and Pun being only known for being dead, those are some of the best rappers who ever walked this earth. It's silly to have a top 5 because of its subjectivity but outside of Eminem, Rakim, Jay-Z, Ye and Nas I'm not even close to putting anyone near those guys.

There is more than just that though, I stood in line to buy the CD's for Ryde or Dye Volume 1 and Diplomatic Immunity AND Lord Willing and Get Rich or Die Trying so I just don't wanna keep going back to the Mt. Rushmore of hip hop to talk about people I think are supremely talented. Like I said before there are specific people who come out with music right now that are really great at it, but there are so many more who I think just don't make very good music at all. Not everyone needs to go destroy 5 fingers of death for me to like them, but it sure as gently caress helps me to know whether they can rap or not. Even with that I think that guys like Oun- P, King Los, Astro, and Logic who can all REALLY rap won't make very albums or sell a whole lot. For me they fall into trap a lot of "lyrical" guys do and outrap every beat that they hop on and they don't have that "Radio Hit" kind of music making ability (and you need it). I really loving hate the radio anyway, but they have been and are going to be for the near future a driver of what people determine is "hot".

Basically what I want to get across is that there is no way I'm getting excited about anything a lot of the guys that I don't think are talented are doing while there's some really awesome stuff on the horizon : I mean, a DJ Premier/Royce Da 5'9" and a Run the Jewels 2 album coming out soon! I want to see more of Cyhi Da Prynce and Flatbush Zombies at the same time as wishing that Andre 3 stacks would drop a REAL solo joint. I think that we all agree about what makes rap great (or else we wouldn't post in this thread) but we are just going to have to disagree on who makes it great for us individually.

See, I actually agree with a whole lot of what you posted here. My main point wasn't that you have to (or even should) like everything coming out, it was that stuff in general coming out isn't de facto worse than some idealized time in the past, nor is it any less "real hip-hop".

Also, because I love tearing down sacred cows, of the dudes you mentioned the only ones I'd even consider near the "best" would be Em, Nas, Rakim, and Kanye (not so much for his actual rapping ability, but his whole production/music making ability).

Pac was an extremely average rapper. Like, he had some great songs but a lot of average/filler material. And it's almost impossible to separate his whole "Thug Life" mythology from his actual music output. Dude doesn't even have an album you can really consider "classic". Snoop in his prime was a much better rapper, but we also got to watch Snoop sell out about 20,000 times. Had he died around when Murder Was the Case soundtrack was released, he'd get the same type of treatment. You can say Pac is one of the greatest due to his impact or whatever, but based solely on music he's not even close to being at that level.

Big Pun was also pretty average. He's not even the best light-skinned fat puerto rican rapper. But again, Fat Joe didn't die so dudes don't talk about him in the same terms.

Ready to Die is arguably the best rap album ever. Life After Death was one really good album interspersed between a bunch of junk and pop cornball poo poo. Had he not died he'd be Ma$e (who when eh started was actually a decent rapper before the Bad Boy shiny-suit poo poo enveloped him).

Big L doesn't even deserve to be in the conversation with those dudes, and only reason dudes talk him up is because he's an east coast dude from that era who died. As I said, dude could rap his rear end off. But dudes like Danny Brown and Kendrick already have better careers than him, and rap better (honestly Kendrick's a better rapper than all these dudes-only Em or Rakim are touching him). Like imagine if Ras Kass got shot after Soul on Ice-that's Big L.

Dying early doesn't make your music better. It just means you had less time to make bad poo poo.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Dying early doesn't make your music better. It just means you had less time to make bad poo poo.

100% and this statement holds true across a bunch of creative mediums I think. I always figure Biggie's career would have been a lot like Nas' if he hadnt died when he did - lots of ups and downs but still respected as a great.

Edit: this is going off topic a bit but Ive always found it interesting that within the genre of rap, artists tend to start strong (see: all the great first albums of various rappers) and then get worse over time. There are, of course, exceptions but that is roughly the inverse of how other genre artists tend to progress (especially in the case of bands where multiple artists have to learn how to mesh and grow together which is obviously challenging).

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 10, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

See, I actually agree with a whole lot of what you posted here. My main point wasn't that you have to (or even should) like everything coming out, it was that stuff in general coming out isn't de facto worse than some idealized time in the past, nor is it any less "real hip-hop".

Also, because I love tearing down sacred cows, of the dudes you mentioned the only ones I'd even consider near the "best" would be Em, Nas, Rakim, and Kanye (not so much for his actual rapping ability, but his whole production/music making ability).

Pac was an extremely average rapper. Like, he had some great songs but a lot of average/filler material. And it's almost impossible to separate his whole "Thug Life" mythology from his actual music output. Dude doesn't even have an album you can really consider "classic". Snoop in his prime was a much better rapper, but we also got to watch Snoop sell out about 20,000 times. Had he died around when Murder Was the Case soundtrack was released, he'd get the same type of treatment. You can say Pac is one of the greatest due to his impact or whatever, but based solely on music he's not even close to being at that level.

Big Pun was also pretty average. He's not even the best light-skinned fat puerto rican rapper. But again, Fat Joe didn't die so dudes don't talk about him in the same terms.

Ready to Die is arguably the best rap album ever. Life After Death was one really good album interspersed between a bunch of junk and pop cornball poo poo. Had he not died he'd be Ma$e (who when eh started was actually a decent rapper before the Bad Boy shiny-suit poo poo enveloped him).

Big L doesn't even deserve to be in the conversation with those dudes, and only reason dudes talk him up is because he's an east coast dude from that era who died. As I said, dude could rap his rear end off. But dudes like Danny Brown and Kendrick already have better careers than him, and rap better (honestly Kendrick's a better rapper than all these dudes-only Em or Rakim are touching him). Like imagine if Ras Kass got shot after Soul on Ice-that's Big L.

I see what you are saying here, and definitely agree that I have no the idea what the gently caress happened to Ma$e (well I do know, it was the same dude that created Loon and G-Dep).

I will say that Capital Punishment by Big Pun is a pretty amazing album....there isn't really much else from Pun but Fat Joe isn't that great to me....

So Mr. Cee apparently is reading my mind and dropped this today http://www.hot97.com/news/dj-mister-cee/tbt-w-mister-cee-noon-mix-1092014-audiodownload :circlefap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I don't know where to jump in with the 90's discussion but the whole late 90-early 2000's thing is so wrong. From 84 till 97, hiphop got better every year. Anyone telling you otherwise does not love you.