Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I spent 9.70 of my card money to get a level 5 badge

*gazes wistfully towards the azure horizon*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think the lesson here is, if you want to support SE releasing more games on PC, buy FF4.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Varance posted:

Escape does instantly kill the program, which is pretty hilarious.

Evil Fluffy posted:

What was the last FF game SE ported to PC and didn't have it run like total rear end?

The last PC port was Final Fantasy VIII, and y'all should be happy with your escape-to-quit-anywhere because in the FFVIII port, there was no option to quit at all.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

She really does. His Batman fit the description "dude who uses gadgets, hand-to-hand fighting and intimidation to take down criminals" and I think he looked cool. This looks way more generic.

On the other hand, it's not like Catwoman ever had a good design.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Mega64 posted:

I think the lesson here is, if you want to support SE releasing more games on PC, buy FF4.

Apparently that's an emulated port of the Android version, which runs at 20fps and god only knows what resolution.

If you support SE releasing more games on PC, buy... Sleeping Dogs, FFXIV, and Tomb Raider, I guess. Honestly, I think their interest in releasing more of their own games on PC comes from the success of their published western games on Steam.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

Apparently that's an emulated port of the Android version, which runs at 20fps and god only knows what resolution.

If you support SE releasing more games on PC, buy... Sleeping Dogs, FFXIV, and Tomb Raider, I guess. Honestly, I think their interest in releasing more of their own games on PC comes from the success of their published western games on Steam.

That is a really good point.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

There is no satisfactory resolution to Final Fantasy XIII.

This is a good post.

I'm curious about what people think was the motivation for FF14:ARR. Was it "Wow, all these people are buying our completely lovely game, and we're making an absolute fortune from long-term subscriptions! Thanks to all their support, we can finally make the game good!"?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Sunning posted:

The PC port was a side effect of the Dive-In cloud service rather than a PC focused initiative. The quality of the port shouldn't have been too much of a surprise.

How about Catwoman, then?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/09/final-fantasys-tetsuya-nomura-redesigns-catwoman

I think she looks like a Digimon.

I think that looks badass as hell

Varance posted:

The res is locked, but you can remap (some) keys. It's in settings.

Escape does instantly kill the program, which is pretty hilarious.

Controller settings are setup for a 360 pad.

Not changing resolution is dumb but can't you force rendering modes via gfx control panels?

Mega64 posted:

Actually, with the recent remake on PS3, how likely is it we'll get X/X-2 on PC?

I'd wager pretty high. The HD versions are not the same sort of low-effort trash they've done with other ports so I'd like to imagine that they wrote the updated engine in such a way as to allow this. Even better if they can share save games with the other two by linking your PC with your PSN account.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I will buy FF13, I will not buy FFXHD because they still haven't added a skip cutscene button.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

seizure later posted:

But yes, it's everyone else's fault that nowhere before launch did they say "by the way you're pretty much getting the same experience as an emulator".

Emulators have save state, frame skip, and filters to make game look smoothly (hello hq4x). I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the FF13 port has none of these and ask that you not slander emulators and their usefulness. :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

That loving Sned posted:

There is no satisfactory resolution to Final Fantasy XIII.

I'unno, the trash dump is the best resolution it could possibly hope for.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Emulators have save state, frame skip, and filters to make game look smoothly (hello hq4x). I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the FF13 port has none of these and ask that you not slander emulators and their usefulness. :colbert:

Well the port at least uses most of your computer's resources instead of just small part of it, so that's a bonus.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Durante working on FFXIII already.

http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_first_working_run_of_ff13_gedosato_plugin-zqllcqGKENBBKi6p_en.html

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Durante being Mr. DSFix?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Spiritus Nox posted:

Durante being Mr. DSFix?

Yep.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a good post.

I'm curious about what people think was the motivation for FF14:ARR. Was it "Wow, all these people are buying our completely lovely game, and we're making an absolute fortune from long-term subscriptions! Thanks to all their support, we can finally make the game good!"?

Probably "this game is bad enough to hurt the brand"?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a good post.

Didn't XIV initially sell horribly and the reason SE scrambled to fix it because they spent millions on it that wasn't being returned to them? The original director of the game left the company. That's...not monetary success, dude.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a good post.

To make more money which is the same thing we want SE to be thinking about when they consider whether or not to release future AAA titles on PC.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
No don't you get it man he's making fun of my purchasing decision see, because I am stupid and its SUPER funny. So much material to mine out of that one.

Himuro posted:

You need to chill, man.

yep I'm done *exits thread*

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 9, 2014

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
You need to chill, man. That said, I'm getting XIII trilogy on steam just to tell them I want more of their products on the platform. There's something wrong with this now? Plus, I haven't played 13-2 or LR.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Bought and will buy any square game on steam if by chance they see the light and bring everything to the pc for more profits. I might actually replay ff13, never finished ff12-2, and hahaha LR yea right. Maybe I should of let them have their 3rd swing but they already struck out twice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a good post.

Actually they didn't charge a monthly fee for FFXIV for the longest time (even while still charging for FFXI) because they realized it was lovely. They worked really hard to make it better because a ton of people did buy it, and they saw all the potential if those people would actually stick around instead of dropping sub overnight. I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Not to mention comparing MMO games (with subscriptions and social environment) to boxed non-MMO games is pretty stupid.

Seriously dude you've stated your obvious stupid point like 10 times and nobody cares anymore, stop repeating yourself.

You seem to think that nobody bought FFXIV and they charged a monthly fee for it, and somehow that means that FF14 ARR was something Square just felt like doing for no reason?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 9, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Tenzarin posted:

Bought and will buy any square game on steam if by chance they see the light and bring everything to the pc for more profits. I might actually replay ff13, never finished ff12-2, and hahaha LR yea right. Maybe I should of let them have their 3rd swing but they already struck out twice.

Well it was the best of the lot, so yeah. Unfortunately, nobody bought it because the other two games were bad.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
FF14 was like 6-7 dollars for a sub at release. If you paid like 3 months or something you now have veteran status(10? bucks a month, but no bulk discounts, cheaper then bulk but cant buy ahead) and already own FF14ARR. I'm pretty sure didn't fix the game because people were playing it, they tried to fix it because it was released and instantly flopped.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Yoshi-P talked about this. He mainly re-did FFXIV to restore faith in the FF brand among the fanbase.

Initially there was a pervasive "gently caress it they'll swallow any FF poo poo we serve up" among the dev team. Not helping matters was Tanaka, who is the dictionary definition of an ivory tower developer. So you had lovely game mechanics, combined with an :effort: dev team with no experience with MMOs, no player-dev communication and an engine that isn't fit for MMOs. Unsurprisingly, it was poo poo.
Yoshida wanted to reverse all this. He thought about jumping ship, but decided against it because of how much XIV damaged SE's reputation. It as a gambit that paid out in the end, XIV is like the most profitable thing SE ever did.

Say Sunning, don't suppose you have any info on Tanaka? What was up with that guy? Did MMOs kill his parents or something?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Himuro posted:

You need to chill, man. That said, I'm getting XIII trilogy on steam just to tell them I want more of their products on the platform. There's something wrong with this now? Plus, I haven't played 13-2 or LR.

The only thing you're telling SE by buying a lovely rushed port is that you'll buy any poo poo they shovel in your trough. By all means buy a game if you actually want to play it but giving away money to a multi-billion dollar company so they might perhaps in the future not do such a poo poo job is actually really pathetic.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Remember XIII's only minigame? Someone needs to make a mod where you just storm through the entire game with Hope's mech.

Although I'd settle with having all the battle mechanics unlocked from the start, and whenever the game gives you a two-character party the third slot is filled with another Sazh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a good post.

I'm not sure if you were in a coma or what but when the game came out SE knew that it was an unmitigated disaster that would be empty inside of a few months if left unchecked, and they'd eat a huge loss if that happened. Even when YoshiP was put in charge the mindset was largely one of "hopefully we can recouple enough for it to survive" though it still amazed me that as many people bought FF14 at launch as they did. Even at gaming conventions the FF14 setup was unfun as hell and looked terrible. It was a pure brand name sale and SE couldn't really afford to let FF14 crash and burn as one of the worst game launches in history.

They got extremely lucky that their employees were able to work miracles.

Plus FF14 has a $10 a month sub option. You only get 1 character per server but the game is made for you to only need one character since you can level every class/job on it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The only thing you're telling SE by buying a lovely rushed port is that you'll buy any poo poo they shovel in your trough. By all means buy a game if you actually want to play it but giving away money to a multi-billion dollar company so they might perhaps in the future not do such a poo poo job is actually really pathetic.

Fister Roboto really didn't say this enough, I'm glad you're repeating it a few more times for him. That's sweet.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm not sure if you were in a coma or what but when the game came out SE knew that it was an unmitigated disaster that would be empty inside of a few months if left unchecked, and they'd eat a huge loss if that happened. Even when YoshiP was put in charge the mindset was largely one of "hopefully we can recouple enough for it to survive" though it still amazed me that as many people bought FF14 at launch as they did. Even at gaming conventions the FF14 setup was unfun as hell and looked terrible. It was a pure brand name sale and SE couldn't really afford to let FF14 crash and burn as one of the worst game launches in history.

They got extremely lucky that their employees were able to work miracles.

Plus FF14 has a $10 a month sub option. You only get 1 character per server but the game is made for you to only need one character since you can level every class/job on it.

XI was a pretty drat popular MMO, especially internationally, and you can see how those MMO fans would just hop on the next ship without really asking too many questions. I loved me some XI.

Good thing I got into the beta for XIV so I realized immediately it was total poo poo and didn't buy it. ARR is pretty good stuff though, its pretty surprisingly how much they completely redesigned the game from within itself.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

XI was a pretty drat popular MMO, especially internationally, and you can see how those MMO fans would just hop on the next ship without really asking too many questions. I loved me some XI.

Wasn't XI one of the first cross-platform MMOs?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Shame about the lazy port, although it's kind of funny that Square is responsible for one of the best PC ports in gaming as well. Guess it comes down to the specific teams that work on things.

This is kinda funny in that the keyboard + mouse controls for FFXIII remind me a lot of the same controls for Last Remnant on PC.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Well, you kind of answered your question partly with the second part of that.

But largely it's subjective. I'm not going to write another screed about how much I hate Nomura in the FF thread that a handful of people will enjoy like Sunning but suffice it to say, I just tend to dislike his more "adventurous" character designs on a basic level. I also just flat-out hate the way he draws women in the same way that I hate how fashion designers design for models. His drawn characters are always tall with extremely long legs with clothes that could never fit or hang well on someone of an even athletic build. It's not game specific, but rather fashion specific and based on the ongoing sort-of joke that Nomura always wanted to be a fashion designer, I'm not the only person to notice this, though I may be one of the few who hate it in a very visceral manner.

Well I guess I wrote another screed.

I suppose I understand where you're coming from. I've never had the type of revulsion that some people seem to have with his artwork. I don't think I even knew that people did until I found out from people on the internet. Even certain designs that are brought up as "classic Nomura" (in the bad way) like the Musashi re-design with the crazy hair never set off any alarms for me. I'm not exactly sure why this is, maybe it's because the first Final Fantasy game I really got into hard core was Final Fantasy 8, which is probably the first time the classic "Nomura style" was used in a Final Fantasy game, so to me it was just the way Final Fantasy looked. Even poo poo that people like you probably think is weird like Donald's zipper-hat in Kingdom Hearts and a Mickey Mouse that looks like this:

was never off-putting to me because that's what I expected Disney characters to look like in a game put out by the same people who did Final Fantasy. Maybe to the people who were like obsessed with Final Fantasy 4 or 6 on the SNES and then got to see Nomura's ever growing presence after FF7 success things like that mean something different.

To be quite honest though the first Final Fantasy design I can distinctly remember people being up in arms about was Vaan from FF12, although maybe that's just because that's around the time I really payed attention to what people on the internet were saying about Final Fantasy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Wasn't XI one of the first cross-platform MMOs?

Yes, and to this day is still one of very few.

Its on PC, PS2, and Xbox 360. And you can play on the same servers.

You also play international on the same servers, so there's English speakers running around Japanese speakers, and there's a (limited) auto-translate function. Luckily most of the Japanese gamers speak pretty decent English too, so I got to meet some cool people I didn't even realize lived in another country until they switched to using moon runes to talk to each other.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I hate so much that I have to finish a quest to unlock a new one with all my cool new music in it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Fister Roboto really didn't say this enough, I'm glad you're repeating it a few more times for him. That's sweet.

Maybe because he was right?? :confused:

Sorry to interrupt the knowingly terrible purchase purchase support group.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just played some of the XIII port. It's certainly not a great port, but it's not quite as bad as some people are describing it. Not allowing different resolutions hurts and the insta-quit escape button is silly, but it's perfectly functional. I'd forgotten how much better XIII looks compared to 2 or especially LR.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
At the end of the day it runs well on most hardware and doesn't cap at 30FPS, which is the least you can ask for. The fact that they didn't both to offer resolution scaling is extremely lazy, but whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just played some of the XIII port. It's certainly not a great port, but it's not quite as bad as some people are describing it. Not allowing different resolutions hurts and the insta-quit escape button is silly, but it's perfectly functional. I'd forgotten how much better XIII looks compared to 2 or especially LR.

Wait XIII looks better than XIII-2 or LR? :confused:

I guess they spent like 10 years on XIII while XIII-2 and LR were more rushed out?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait XIII looks better than XIII-2 or LR? :confused:

I guess they spent like 10 years on XIII while XIII-2 and LR were more rushed out?

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or legitimate confusion, but yeah. I remember liking how 2 looked okay, but there were parts of LR that just looked like rear end to me - mostly in the two cities. Mind, there were parts that looked really nice, too - I really liked the Ark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't played XIII in years but I remember thinking it was pretty much the best looking game I had ever played

Until Lightning Returns came along at least: