Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Wow... apparently the dice gods really, really like the FP. 4 dice and 3 rerolls with a card needing only one hit to get a victory now; what a turnaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
SP uses a Character die to move Gothmog and two Nazgûl to Pelargir.

FP uses a Will of the West die to assault Barad-dûr.

FP plays Sudden Strike, attacking before combat.

Sudden Strike roll: 3 4 1
FP scores no hits!

FP Combat roll: 6 3 1 3 2
FP Leadership re-roll: 5 6 5
FP scores two hits!

SP Combat roll: 1
SP scores no hits!

SP eliminates a Regular in Barad-dûr. FP conquers Barad-dûr and now has four VPs.

FP Action dice:
SP Action dice:

SP, Action?

As a reminder, if the SP gets to 10 VPs, he wins.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Event die to draw a strategy card.

That will teach me to read my dice on the phone. I thought I had 1 more left.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Army Die: Move 2 elites + companions from Moria to Hollin, leave 1 regular behind. Move Gondor regular to Dol Amroth

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
SP uses an Event die to draw a Strategy card.

FP uses an Army/Muster die to move Boromir, Pippin and two Elites to Hollin, and a Regular into Dol Amroth.

FP Action dice:
SP Action dice:

SP, Action?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Army die. Ettenmoors to Trollshaws. Pelagir to Lamedon.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I cannot believe this worked. I think that's game.

With only 3 army actions (I'm assuming a ring use), I don't think the shadow can take two FP strongholds. The quickest path requires mimumum four: Move Ettenmoors to Trollshaws, move Trollshaws to Rivendell, drive Woodland Realm into siege, besiege and capture Woodland Realm.

You've got two possible longshots to keep the game going another turn by retaking Barad-Dur or Moria. Each will take 3 moves minimum: Lorien to Dimril, attack Moria into siege, besiege and capture Moria; or Minas Morgul and Morannon to Gorgoroth, attack Barad-Dur into siege, besiege and capture Barad-Dur. But the latter will require a perfect five hits on a 6, and the former will require a one-hit-one-kill without getting hit in return (and I can then spend my ring to retake it with my elven cavalry).

Maybe you've got an event that lets you move troops I'm not accounting for?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Pass. Have Rivendell. I wasn't using it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Nope. I horribly miscounted my dice on my tiny phone screen and I'm paying the price.

Army die. Trollshaws to Hollin. Card sent.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Play Shieldwall.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Welp.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I'd like to think I won this one with calculated risk taking. But I just lucked the hell out on some things, like the perfect Moria attack, or your buckets of eyes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
We also sped past some stuff that I would have done differently if we had caught at the time. Like, when I retreated into Minas Morghul and lost a regular. By the time it was pointed out, we were too far past it, but I'd have fought a round in the field rather than just lose a dude for no reason.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Retreating was actually probably the better idea. I don't know what you were holding, but Sudden Strike would have made that a very costly field battle, and might have given me Minas Morgul.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I wound up pulling Musterings of Long-Planned War the next draw which would have put 5 units each in Gorgonnoth and Nurn, which would have been a lot more relevant with enough dead units to play it and a weakend army to box in.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

So, calling it or playing it out?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Calling it. With the Shield wall, I cannot win, since you can just retreat into Moria.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, this seemed like a pretty good play at the time:

quote:

Use flaming eye to turn an army die into a character die.
Use character die to play "The Ringwraiths are Abroad".
Draw a card for the Witch-King ability.
"The Ringwraiths are Abroad": Move 4 Nazgul into Orthanc. Witch-King remains in North Dunland.
Use the granted attack from "The Ringwraiths are Abroad": Sortie with the combined forces of Orthanc and the Nazgul.
If I don't draw another playable combat card, play "Foul Stench" to cancel the FP leader re-rolls.

Let's check in with the booth to see how that one turned out:

Taran_Wanderer posted:

SP plays Foul Stench, cancelling the FP's Leadership re-roll
FP plays Heroic Death.

SP Combat Roll: 1 3 2 4 2
SP Leadership re-roll: 3 1 3 1
SP scores no hits!

FP Combat Roll: 6 1 4 4 3
FP scores one hit!

SP, how would you like to take your loss? Would you like to continue the battle?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

That's always the fun of this game. Things just become pretty funny. So the Armies of Gondor basicaly abandoned Minas Tirith to go and gently caress up Sauron where he lives, while Athel Loren burned, but Rivendel said 'gently caress it' and sent some armies to go clean out the mines of Moria. Oh, and part of the reason the assault on Moria was succesful was to use the One Ring in the assault.

Boromir is vindicated.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Good game, man. I thought I was dead when my Rohan rush shattered against Orthanc. Since I basically threw away any chance of a ringbearer victory to make it happen.

EDIT:

Shogeton posted:

That's always the fun of this game. Things just become pretty funny. So the Armies of Gondor basicaly abandoned Minas Tirith to go and gently caress up Sauron where he lives, while Athel Loren burned, but Rivendel said 'gently caress it' and sent some armies to go clean out the mines of Moria. Oh, and part of the reason the assault on Moria was succesful was to use the One Ring in the assault.

Boromir is vindicated.

Like I said,

Gutter Owl posted:

Boromir stuffed Frodo in a chest and ran off with the ring like five turns ago. Keep up, man.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
In that case, Gutter Owl is our victor! Congratulations!

Thanks for playing guys. Really interesting to see a FP Military Victory.

Gutter Owl posted:

Good game, man. I thought I was dead when my Rohan rush shattered against Orthanc. Since I basically threw away any chance of a ringbearer victory to make it happen.

Yeah, I was sure you were going to switch to moving the Fellowship before that happened. I'm still impressed by your early Aragorn, though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

blackmongoose posted:

Wow... apparently the dice gods really, really like the FP. 4 dice and 3 rerolls with a card needing only one hit to get a victory now; what a turnaround.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gutter Owl posted:

Yeah. Great game. I thought I had a couple of more turns and then... Moria.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. Great game. I thought I had a couple of more turns and then... Moria.

To be fair, there were three elites outside the gates, and I've been curating combat cards--I was holding Sudden Strike, Shield-wall, It is a Gift, Valor, and Mighty Attack. I was getting in this turn. The only question was how many elves would die in the process.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gutter Owl posted:

To be fair, there were three elites outside the gates, and I've been curating combat cards--I was holding Sudden Strike, Shield-wall, It is a Gift, Valor, and Mighty Attack. I was getting in this turn. The only question was how many elves would die in the process.

Right, but you didn't have any regulars to reduce them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Right, but you didn't have any regulars to reduce them to.

When Elites are reduced, Regulars can be taken from casualties!

• Locked thread