Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pham Nuwen posted:

Would it be going too far to start honking at people when I see them texting and driving? I wondered about that the other day as I cruised up past someone in the classic head-down position.

Nope. Anything to keep their eyes outside the car is fine. I have been SORELY tempted to ride up next to some idiot texting and slap the phone out of their hand.

I got behind some dude in a minivan who got a phone call at a red light. Light turned green and I honked a bit to get his attention and he drove off. I was prepared to be all pissed off because he's being an idiot and talking on the phone, but he then proceeded to drive PERFECTLY. Not weaving, indicating properly, checking blind spots, maintaining consistent speed within a couple MPH of the limit, not delaying at lights. Absolutely textbook driving, all while yammering away into the brick glued to his ear.

It was bizarro land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"No baby on board, but I want to live too" is a pretty solid sign that I've seen

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

Would it be going too far to start honking at people when I see them texting and driving? I wondered about that the other day as I cruised up past someone in the classic head-down position.

I've started yelling or honking at them sometimes, depends on if I think they'll respond positively or chase or shoot at me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

"No baby on board, but I want to live too" is a pretty solid sign that I've seen

Personally, I found my "Rabid Pitbull with Aids On Board" sign to be much more effective.

RIP Carlin

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bumper stickers are poo poo stop making your car look stupid. :colbert:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I've started yelling or honking at them sometimes, depends on if I think they'll respond positively or chase or shoot at me.

I honked at girl driving next to me who was on her phone once. She looked at me like I was an idiot then she looked up, hit the brakes, and switched into my lane. She didn't want to follow me, the lane she was in was turn only and she was going straight and only noticed when she finally looked up ~150 feet from the intersection.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

While on my motorcycle I've pulled up alongside people who were texting, gotten their attention, and given them the forceful two-fingers-out "HANG UP" gesture. So far everyone I've done it to has acted ashamed and refused to look at me at the next stoplight or whatever. If I keep doing it eventually someone's probably going to run me over.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I once honked at a guy on his phone and he dropped his phone on the road.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cakefool posted:

I once honked at a guy on his phone and he dropped his phone on the road.

How did that happen? Was he hanging his head out the window while holding his phone?

As for baby on board stickers, I do admit if someone is driving unreasonably slow I won't tailgate them if I see one of those signs. Of course sometimes I won't tailgate anyway and just assume they have poorly secured potted plants they're transporting.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Girlfriend and I were driving home the other day, just on the highway. I-25 to Denver, if anyone's curious (it's a lovely highway.) We're behind a Golf and suddenly this body panel piece just flies out from under their car and my girlfriend nails it before she can react. We pass them by and their bumper is flopping around and missing a large chunk.

How do you not notice your bumper shedding parts?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

davebo posted:

How did that happen? Was he hanging his head out the window while holding his phone?

As for baby on board stickers, I do admit if someone is driving unreasonably slow I won't tailgate them if I see one of those signs. Of course sometimes I won't tailgate anyway and just assume they have poorly secured potted plants they're transporting.

Some pillarless BMW, he was leaning his head out the window a bit. It broke, I laughed and didn't get chased down and killed, good outcome.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Protocol7 posted:

Girlfriend and I were driving home the other day, just on the highway. I-25 to Denver, if anyone's curious (it's a lovely highway.) We're behind a Golf and suddenly this body panel piece just flies out from under their car and my girlfriend nails it before she can react. We pass them by and their bumper is flopping around and missing a large chunk.

Maybe they knew. The other week I saw a newer Mercedes pull out of a drive in front of me and I could see that something was dragging underneath it. I pulled up to the guy at a stop sign and waved to get his attention, yelling "Hey man!" at him. He rolled down his window and I told him he was dragging something under his car.

Motherfucker just gave me the most stone faced stare I've ever seen and just goes "Yeah, I know." all annoyed.

I just cracked up as I drove away. Can't even get mad at that.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Don't text and walk. Awhile ago I was at a major intersection in my big truck waiting to make a right hand turn and there was a kid standing at the corner loving around on his phone. Light and walk turned green, and the kid did nothing, so I waited, waited, then I started to roll my truck, THEN the kid started to cross and without looking he flipped me off.

:what:

It took my a second to be like "OH HELL NO" laid on the loving air horn which caused the kid to almost jump completely out of his loving flip flops and he takes off loving running, almost drop kicks his loving cellphone a couple of time, while I'm half way out the loving window of my truck doing my best Red Deutsch* impression.

Good times, I really wish I got him to punt his own phone, I know he ripped half his loving toenails out doing a mad dash in flip flops.

*for those that haven't heard the Tube Bar tapes, here is John DiMaggo and Billy West going on a rampage http://youtu.be/pAbqP14LYW0

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Nope. Anything to keep their eyes outside the car is fine. I have been SORELY tempted to ride up next to some idiot texting and slap the phone out of their hand.

Been there, done that. In my younger, (even) dumber days. I don't condone it, but it sure felt good at the time.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

How the gently caress can people just not notice it when they back into a thing? I tapped a cement post when I was learning to drive stick at well under walking speed (it turns out I was on a slight hill), and I immediately noticed and went out to see if there was any damage (nope -- not even a scratch). I can't fathom backing into a car and just driving away.

I backed over a random metal fencepost in my truck not longer after I got it. I didn't see it because it was the exact same green as the surrounding grass, shorter than my tailgate and not visible from my mirrors, and I didn't know until long after it occurred because it wasn't very deep in the ground and made no sound or resistance. It left a bit of green paint on the underside of my chrome bumper that rubbed right off, and left no mark.

I have yet to strike anything else with a motor vehicle, which is certainly something I'm proud of.

InitialDave posted:

Not twice. Hitting a good hump square-on in a leaf-sprung pickup, particularly an unladen one, is loving painful.

Front end, no problem. Glide over that poo poo because pickup front suspension has been gentrifying for nearly 70 years straight. But as soon as your rear axle (again, especially unladen) bounces over that motherfucker you will feel it in every inch of your spine. It's fuckin' brutal. There's a 1-inch drop where asphalt highway meets concrete street near me and it feels like a ten foot drop straight onto my pelvis if I go over it straight.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 10, 2014

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sbyers77 posted:

I actually don't mind these things when parents put them out when their kids are actually playing, but gently caress the people who keep them up 24/7.

In my friends neighborhood in high school there was a house that used to put one of those in the middle of the street basically, with cars parked on either side of the street right before a turn, I knocked that thing over so many times with my car/truck.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

nsaP posted:

Personally, I found my "Rabid Pitbull with Aids On Board" sign to be much more effective.

RIP Carlin

"Honk if your horn is broken." :smug:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

This happens to me pretty frequently around here and it pisses me off to no end. I'm in a pretty big Jeep so I can persuade people not to ram into me head on usually, but this twat didnt even look at me after I honked. Mr license plate LPJX8O went through half of my lane, had I not slowed down a lot he would've easily hit me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn90aAmbbso

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Protocol7 posted:

I've had something similar happen a couple years ago. Driving along I-270, getting out of St. Louis, when I come across a car with half it's bumper hanging off. The outside plastic shell was just flopping every which way in the wind. I pull up alongside and start honking. When I finally grab their attention, they just give me a look that says, "We know."

So you know your bumper is happily flopping away back there and you think that's OK?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Driving into work today on the highway at about 5:45am, and I nearly changed lanes into another ghost car. Who thinks it's a brilliant idea to take your black car, before sunrise, and drive down the highway, in the left lane, doing 50, with no lights on? As soon as I got over, I watched in my rearview as another person nearly hit this guy.

God I hate Eastside drivers

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tuna posted:

This happens to me pretty frequently around here and it pisses me off to no end. I'm in a pretty big Jeep so I can persuade people not to ram into me head on usually, but this twat didnt even look at me after I honked. Mr license plate LPJX8O went through half of my lane, had I not slowed down a lot he would've easily hit me.

This baffles me to no end because I see this happen every day at every left turn in every city I've been to. I don't get it. There are loving dashed lines on the ground that guide you how to turn. If you notice, some people in the outer turning lane cross the dashed line into the inner turning lane mid-turn... :psyduck:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Solar Coaster posted:

Driving into work today on the highway at about 5:45am, and I nearly changed lanes into another ghost car. Who thinks it's a brilliant idea to take your black car, before sunrise, and drive down the highway, in the left lane, doing 50, with no lights on? As soon as I got over, I watched in my rearview as another person nearly hit this guy.

God I hate Eastside drivers

They are unclecousins to the people who drive their white cars without headlights in a snowstorm, who are brotherfather/sistermothers to people who own silvercars who drive around without their lights on in fog/rainstorms.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Nothing like leaving early to try to get to work on time for once, getting stuck behind an 80s Civic going 35 in a 40 zone, and because of this getting to the turnoff onto the only road (2-lane undivided) into town just in time to watch a big truck full of dirt go past going 20 under the speed limit with two dozen cars stacked up behind it :argh:

he maintained this slow speed all the way into and through the first several towns. I took the long, slow route and managed to get in front of him at a light.

why wouldn't he pull out??

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

xergm posted:

I've had something similar happen a couple years ago. Driving along I-270, getting out of St. Louis, when I come across a car with half it's bumper hanging off. The outside plastic shell was just flopping every which way in the wind. I pull up alongside and start honking. When I finally grab their attention, they just give me a look that says, "We know."

So you know your bumper is happily flopping away back there and you think that's OK?

I can one up that, a while back I saw a work truck (I have no idea for what, I wasn't paying attention to that, just that it was a some sort of commercial straight truck) dragging it's exhaust.

Literally, it's entire exhaust was just dragging on the ground, making the most godawful scraping noise. I have no idea how the gently caress it got as far as it had without getting pulled over.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The worst dragging I've seen was the oblivious driver in a big, black SUV dragging a bright orange cone under the front bumper.

Though the person who lost a muffler that jammed under the rear end and pole vaulted the back of the car was amusing. The muffler broke off during the maneuver and, no, they didn't stop.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Today I saw someone change their mind about entering a highway mid-onramp. Stopped on the ramp, then went across the grass island to get onto the off ramp. I can't really complain since he did this all fairly quickly and smoothly, and didn't cut anyone off getting onto the off-ramp, but still, that poo poo's not kosher.

Bonus: There's an off-ramp 1/4 mile down the highway there that would have put him right back where he came from if he'd just had a bit of patience.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

On I-40 West, beebopping along behind the lead truck of a utility crew convoy doing 65 in the right lane. Safe distance between us.

Utility truck driver slows to 60, 55, I've got my left turn signal on looking for an opening to go around. Then he brake checks me, and then flips me off as I go around him.

Back at 65 and he rides my bumper for the next 20 miles.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 11, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

tuna posted:

All too common.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rorac posted:

I can one up that, a while back I saw a work truck (I have no idea for what, I wasn't paying attention to that, just that it was a some sort of commercial straight truck) dragging it's exhaust.

Literally, it's entire exhaust was just dragging on the ground, making the most godawful scraping noise. I have no idea how the gently caress it got as far as it had without getting pulled over.

When I was 16/17 and driving one barely functioning shitbox after another, I got a teeny, tiny, little bit of joy from looking in my mirrors and seeing my car leaving a trail of sparks. :black101:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
When the exhaust fell off my 50hp Polo I did the only thing any sane driver would do; ragged it around every roundabout on my 5-mile drive home, pinging off the rev limiter and heel-toeing every downshift. In my 18-year old head it sounded awesome. :rock:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

When the exhaust fell off my 50hp Polo I did the only thing any sane driver would do; ragged it around every roundabout on my 5-mile drive home, pinging off the rev limiter and heel-toeing every downshift. In my 18-year old head it sounded awesome. :rock:
That is the correct approach.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I've seen a van driving about that was dragging it's FWD pumpkin across the ground

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

What's that?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

What's that?

Opposite of a RWD squash.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Second weekend in a row I-40 West has come to a dead stop for 1/2 hour in the middle of nowhere Arkansas. For no reason.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alriiiight totally just witnessed a single-car accident.

Was riding home with my sister, according to her this SUV was in the right lane (we were in the center lane), then for no apparent reason cut across all lanes and bounced off the barricade; I caught a glimpse of it in the side mirror, it did at least a 360 while I was watching, probably more. We had been in a pack of traffic, but after about a mile we were the last car on the road; this thing blocked a few lanes.

I say single-car, but there might have been subsequent collisions. As it was we were lucky, the truck was only a couple car lengths behind us. Us being me, both my sisters, a friend of theirs, and my 2-month-old niece. :stonk:

cats
May 11, 2009
Saw a beautiful example of a Masshole last Friday while leaving work. In the left lane there were three cars waiting to turn south. The light is changing to red and the Equinox that's third in line swerves around the two cars in front of him, which were already pretty far into the intersection, and makes a left turn very much on red from the middle lane.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

illest parking job

Vovo
Aug 12, 2005
Grand Luxe
A while ago I was filling up my car at a gas station, and a lady asked me if I could help her. I was a bit apprehensive 'cause I didn't feel like changing a tire or something. She was confused about why her headlights were on but the taillights were off. "Am I just overlooking something or are they broken or what?" So I turned on her lights for her, she looked pretty embarrassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Goober Peas posted:

illest parking job

Dude, that's a Camry SE, can't have people dinging it up!

We have a client that parks her Escalade exactly like that in their own lot every single day. Normally that wouldn't wad my undies, but one of the 2 spots she is straddling is a handicap spot. She is NOT legally handicapped, just in her 60's and 3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket. Every time I see it I am tempted to do something but she's a major client.