Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Chainsawdomy posted:

I'm going to fly in the face of popular opinion and say that not only am I glad they didn't bust out Extreme Ways without a good reason, but that Mi Mi Mi is the best new addition to the soundtrack.

I'm definitely rooting for Hweejong, Dongmin and Yoohyun so far. I can't say why, but Hyunmin rubs me the wrong way.

And I'm curious to see whether Yeonjoo comes out of the woodwork as the game goes on, or just gets kind of brushed aside and off the show early on.

I agree with this post. Extreme Ways must not be applied too liberally or it loses its effect. I enjoyed the Mi Mi Mi song and I also don't really like Hyunmin for no particular reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
It might be the way the first episode was edited, but Hyunmin rubbed me the wrong way as well. It's likely because it looked like he is putting his hands into every jar available that may be advantageous to him. A couple more episodes might reveal his personality, but as it is now he's just Poong without the personality.

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
I think playing the field like he did, especially in the first challenge, just makes both sides less likely to trust you in the future. I'm glad he shook things up like that but I don't know if it was the smartest thing to do. And moreso since he got the Token from the winner, who's also not making many friends.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
One season they really need to make nuna dealer a contestant :colbert:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Who would introduce the games then? (My working theory is that she is Bandage Sniffer.)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The S1E11 cut scene is still the best :3:

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

CeeJee posted:

PYF Extreme Ways moment:

"I should have backstabbed as well"
"How Could You !!!"
:smug:

Kyungran: "ooooooooh"
Jinho: "that was a meaningful result"

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I just finished watching the first episode, and I have to say the ones that stand out to me the most are Dongmin and Hweejong. Dongmin's pretty funny (especially in the BTS clips), and I like how Hweejong did a complete 180 from how he was before.

Looking forward to seeing Kyunhoon getting picked for the deathmatch next week, man that was a terrible move at the end: two garnets for a total loss of trust among the rest of the cast. Lawyer-dude had the right idea, he's also pretty cool.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Lawyer dude = season 3's Junghyun??

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Subyng posted:

Lawyer dude = season 3's Junghyun??

Nah Junghyun was a rad dude I'd want to have a beer with. Lawyer Kang is supposedly the Korean Jeremy Clarkson or something, though he does seem nicer in this than Crime Scene.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I like his TV Personality but it really bugs me that he is apparently a scumbag in real life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kang_Yong-suk

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like Hweejong and all but now that the first episode is over I hope he gets over his deep fear of getting eliminated.

unless this is part of his tactics idk

Superrodan posted:

I like his TV Personality but it really bugs me that he is apparently a scumbag in real life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kang_Yong-suk

Yeah, I don't know what Zythrst is talking about though, he seemed like a nice dude in Crime Scene.

By the way, Dongmin is in the first episode of Abnormal Summit so if anyone wants to see more of him for some reason... He seems like an ok guy, I'm not sure why people were automatically assuming he was sleezy like Hongchul. Must be the comedian aura... Or maybe it's something about Abnormal Summit, Gura from the first season of The Genius was in one episode and he sounded like a pretty different guy.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I liked Lawyer Kang helping the watermelons that came to him, and I didn't think he was a jerk on Crime Scene, but he did come off on Crime Scene as really rigid, you know, like a guy who takes himself too seriously, and who doesn't have much of a sense of humor.

Also, I'm with the thread consensus on Hweejong. I loved seeing him fall first in S2, but I'm happy to see him given another chance and think, whether he reverts into S2 Hweejong or not, he'll be an interesting player.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The women who went to the death match both kind of deserved it. Juri for telling a group she was going to change her tag to join them, and then randomly bumping into some other people and joining them instead... that's not a betrayal, but it's odd social play. And Ahyoung for being way too afraid to play the game and just telling that traitor dude she'd trust him all day. The traitor guy made such a short-sighted move, by the way, to win that game, as several people have pointed out. Hm, also, I get the feeling Ahyoung was taking ridiculous amounts of time in that death match, did anyone catch if there was any time limit?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

I liked Lawyer Kang helping the watermelons that came to him, and I didn't think he was a jerk on Crime Scene, but he did come off on Crime Scene as really rigid, you know, like a guy who takes himself too seriously, and who doesn't have much of a sense of humor.

I think we can safely say that anyone who sues a comedian over a joke doesn't have much of a sense of humor.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Fast Luck posted:

T The traitor guy made such a short-sighted move, by the way, to win that game, as several people have pointed out.

Yeah the only way I can figure it is if he thought he'd be picked for the deathmatch.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I really like Sujin going by the first episode, high hopes for her this season. Kyunhoon is a chumpo, doctor guy has good reaction faces and I look forward to seeing more of them.

Fast Luck posted:

The women who went to the death match both kind of deserved it. Juri for telling a group she was going to change her tag to join them, and then randomly bumping into some other people and joining them instead... that's not a betrayal, but it's odd social play. And Ahyoung for being way too afraid to play the game and just telling that traitor dude she'd trust him all day. The traitor guy made such a short-sighted move, by the way, to win that game, as several people have pointed out. Hm, also, I get the feeling Ahyoung was taking ridiculous amounts of time in that death match, did anyone catch if there was any time limit?

Juri's lie about not thinking there were any other melons was hilarious. If you're not making a move to betray, swapping into a bigger group seems pretty ridiculous.

On that note, why did none of the watermelon people swap to other fruits (grapes, melons) that were chugging along steadily at $5 after Dongmin swapped strawberry to watermelon? I felt like the swaps were underutilized, especially since Juri's seemed kinda pointless.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Fast Luck posted:

I think she was trying to game the game a little bit, i was confused as to why the hell she was writing her numbers so wierd as if she was trying to intentionally trick the camera, but someone here pointed out that there was no privacy screen and it could have been a level of misdirection towards her opponent.

If thats true at least she was doing SOMETHING, Juri just went full steam ahead and drove herself over a cliff for no reason? I didnt quite understand either of thier plays.

Power of Pecota posted:

On that note, why did none of the watermelon people swap to other fruits (grapes, melons) that were chugging along steadily at $5 after Dongmin swapped strawberry to watermelon? I felt like the swaps were underutilized, especially since Juri's seemed kinda pointless.

You can only Secret or Change, not both. And they all blew thier Secrets in rounds 2 and 3.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ah, I forgot about those secrets because they didn't really do anything besides give the strawberry people a smokescreen to boost up Dongmin. Yeah, it wouldn't have been worth it to back out on the watermelon agreement to swap.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Juri miscalculated real hard in the deathmatch, geez. Guess it was nerves and a bit of overthinking her situation.

Also, people trying to get a reaction out of nuna dealer is still the best thing in the show.

Couldn't get much of a read on the cast for this first episode - and yeah, I also have the same problem as some of you do and I call people by their profession/what they did for the first four episodes or so. My tentative picks for people going far are the psych webcomic dude, Dongmin (he has dong in his name it's easier to remember okay) and poker dude.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think Dongmin is easy to remember because he's such a charismatic dude.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Dongmin is this season's Hongchul.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The REAL Goobusters posted:

True, but the dong helps. I remembered Juri because of SF4, actually. I could blame Korean for the confusion, but it takes me a while to memorize names in both English and my native language.

Josh Lyman posted:

Dongmin is this season's Hongchul.

That's why I think he's going far, I see some similarities between the two already.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Episode 2 is up

http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/98041031323/the-genius-3-subbed

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Such a sick play in the deathmatch, I caught on to it and hoped it would happen one minute before it actually happened. Welcome back The Genius.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You're a loving idiot, Yongsuk. I was rooting for you but you hosed it up.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Actually, Yongsuk is still insanely cool and powerful

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Hweejong confirmed to be

the Hulk.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thoughts while watching...

The black garnets don't count as garnet currency. I thought they'd be too valuable to spend that way, but they're explicitly removing it as an option.

It's like playing Super-Mafia/Werewolf. Definitely a game for the psychological players. Lots of opportunities for bluff and counterbluff. There's some evil moves to be done in this game and I can't even talk about strategy since there's a lot of flexibility.

And just like the zombie game, one player blows it immediately. His best bet is to try to convince the citizens that he's the criminal leader. (In fairness, I've done this in a game of werewolf, but I had also been up for twenty-two hours when I did it. :v:)

Al Pachino is their go to reference for subtle acting?

There's definitely at least one criminal in that first approved jury. Probably two.

Sticking with the same jury isn't a bad idea from the citizen perspective. The second round is stacked against them and forcing a criminal to act openly is a good option. And hey, they might get lucky.

Like they did. That's some risky playing on the criminal team's part. There's two games going on here and guessing the leader is a lot riskier than getting the trials.

Sirens of doom! And a smooth manipulation of the rules to dominate the rest of the match!

The criminal team hosed up badly. Hyunmin played it smoothly, but the criminals were incautious and they did more damage to themselves than anything.

Come on guys, you're explicitly not trying to pick off the weakest player when selecting a target for the death match; you want the guys who played well to get eliminated early.

It seems the real strategy is going to be in the betting rather than the playing on the deathmatch. I like how this one eliminates the "everyone gangs up on one player" effect that other selection games have had. You can take advantage of allies to win the play, but the betting is where the real money can be made so knowing when to intentionally win or lose is going to be a big part of this.

FWIW, if you are ever forced to guess in a life and death game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, throw paper. Psychology makes rock the most likely one to be selected and scissors the least likely. Or, as Bart Simpson put it, "Good ol' rock. Nothing beats rock."

I think the betting would be more interesting if the person playing had to lay down their card face up.

Neither player seems to understand the snowball effect that betting instead of playing can have.

If you're playing you should be intentionally drawing, especially if you have the lead in chips.

I wrote that previous line in round three, FWIW. I am good. :v:

Excellent games this time.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
Oh man, the opposing leader hosed up big time by making a sudden decision to meet up after the vote instead of making an observation. Why do the editors have to make it sad every time someone gets eliminated :smith:

I was concerned about Dongmin at first when he was announced for Season 3, but he has grown onto me because of his active participation in the games and not being a huge goofball. I really want to see a BTS of Yongsuk having a talk with the other cast because holy poo poo.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Random Stranger posted:

Thoughts while watching...

It's like playing Super-Mafia/Werewolf. Definitely a game for the psychological players. Lots of opportunities for bluff and counterbluff. There's some evil moves to be done in this game and I can't even talk about strategy since there's a lot of flexibility.

(second spoilered line, regarding the identity of the main match)

It's The Resistance: Avalon with Merlin and Mordred, except Merlin can also assassinate Mordred. (And some other small variations--especially, "citizens" wouldn't be allowed to vote "not guilty" ever.)

Max Peck fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 12, 2014

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Alright we are back at the right show. That death match was great, but I don't want it to be played again during this season.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
The love line package totally cracked me up. Totally foreshadowed Kyunghoon's incoming loss as well.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I do not like this Deathmatch, because I don't like the ones where winning relies on getting info out of the other players. Even though in this particular case, the winner devised a superior strategy.

Hyunmin for episode MVP for remembering how the Main Match ACTUALLY ends. Almost but not quite an Extreme Ways moment.

Fuoco posted:

The love line package totally cracked me up. Totally foreshadowed Kyunghoon's incoming loss as well.

I was laughing through that whole bit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nexal posted:

Alright we are back at the right show. That death match was great, but I don't want it to be played again during this season.

If they play with an open card on the player's part and allow betting on draw (still at a 2:1 return, though), I think it would change the dynamics enough that it would be interesting for a second match.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Some of my thoughts as I was watching.

Dongmin is rolefishing! Such a no-no!

I don't think this guy claiming to be the citizen leader actually is, but I don't think it's Dongmin either.

Wow, Hyunmin owns. The criminals were extra stupid (especially Yongsuk) for forgetting the rules of the game in that moment, but Hyunmin was a great leader. I loved his little lightbulb moment as they walked off, but also he was awesome at completely dispelling any sort of suspicions.

I felt bad for Yongsuk being picked, but honestly he deserved it for handing victory to the other team. What a dumb.

I do like the idea of honourable guy from Match 1 vs the nonsense betrayer from match 1.

I don't really like that they're just taking old death matches and making them more complicated. The death matches have always been weak compared to the main matches and this one was always one of the worst.

The music is much better this week. This little love story is adorable.

Yongsuk is all "of course I'll win if the game is about persuation" immediately followed by him threatening everyone. I'm surprised and disappointed anyone told him anything.

Everyone calling a draw a mistake, but draws would be useful if you end up ahead and don't want to risk your lead.

Man, Kyunhoon putting his chips down and running away reminds me of this very scary scene in a scary movie called Spoorloos where a guy psyches himself up to taking what is probably poison by running around in circles first.

Called it!

I actually ended up liking this game. It sounded stupid at the beginning, but it was pretty interesting in the end.

Kyunhoon :( :( :( He did a stupid thing last week, but he was funny and his tearful goodbye was really sweet. I really like this cast.

The music remained strong throughout. Hopefully they'll never use that Mi Mi Mi song again and keep it up with appropriate music.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I hope they'll always use the Mi Mi Mi song.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
S3E2: Bit weak main match because of the criminals becoming dummies fairly quickly. Liked the death match, also saw the draws coming from Yongsuk in the later term to guarantee his lead.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't under why Ahyoung was helping Kyunghoon. Sure, he has a crush on her, but surely she can't have a crush on him. He's a traitorous bastard who has no dignity, begging for help, and got mad and people who wouldn't help him. And it's not like he's especially attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't under why Ahyoung was helping Kyunghoon. Sure, he has a crush on her, but surely she can't have a crush on him. He's a traitorous bastard who has no dignity, begging for help, and got mad and people who wouldn't help him. And it's not like he's especially attractive.

He's good looking, friend.