Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
This episode felt more like an episode from a mid season lull to me and not a premier, did anyone else get that kind of feeling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy8
Aug 27, 2003

bawk bawk
Ya I was kinda of expecting it to be a more epic of episode as a premiere but it was just kinda meh,oh no! Crowley made Dean into an rear end in a top hat...ok so what changed?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I'm surprised they showed that many women existing in Beulah, ND. It is close to hell though. Not many better places to hide if you just want to drink and fight.

This episode did feel like a mid-season lull episode though. Hopefully they can build on this new guy, but after 9 seasons I'm not sure the writers have it in them.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Shroomie posted:

We've done extraordinary things to triplets, I will treasure our Flickr albums forever.

There is going to be a terrifying amount of fanfiction written around that line.

Probably, but it was excellent. Best line of the evening.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Something just occurred to me, this show is one season away from being the longest running sci-fi/fantasy show in the US. If you don't count Dr. Who, the longest running prime time sci-fi/fantasy show ever.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

pentyne posted:

Something just occurred to me, this show is one season away from being the longest running sci-fi/fantasy show in the US. If you don't count Dr. Who, the longest running prime time sci-fi/fantasy show ever.

Wouldn't it have to go at least one more season to beat Smallville?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
If they do the standard 23 episodes this season, they'll beat Smallville by 1 episode.
22 and they're tied at 217 episodes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oroborus posted:

This episode felt more like an episode from a mid season lull to me and not a premier, did anyone else get that kind of feeling?

Especially since the trailers had Dean breaking down the door in a horror movie style. It's a very interesting sort of premier.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Did no one else notice the cereal the army-hunter's kid was eating?

Champies: Breakfast of Wheat Eaters

I laughed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I liked the pace of the premiere, myself. After ten seasons of existential crises and apocalypti, it's nice to take a breather and just work out some issues. Like your brother being a demon murder junkie.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

computer parts posted:

Especially since the trailers had Dean breaking down the door in a horror movie style. It's a very interesting sort of premier.

They'll oftentimes have stuff from the first few episodes in the trailers, so I imagine that's coming. Especially based on the preview for next week.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Demon!Dean seems to have hit new, incredible depths of self-loathing. That's pretty much how I know he's still Dean deep inside. Because the day that Dean was actually happy with himself would be the day he was gone forever.

Sam looks about one chorus of Heat of the Moment away from flipping the gently caress out, he looks worse now than when he was detoxing on demon blood.

Really, the only thing I took away from this episode was that The Demon!Dean and Soulless!Sam Show would have been the loving tits. All sarcasm and rear end kicking and absolutely no chick flick moments...except when Demon!Dean cries in the shower about how he sucks.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

empty sea posted:

Sam looks about one chorus of Heat of the Moment away from flipping the gently caress out, he looks worse now than when he was detoxing on demon blood.

When the camera first panned over to Sam, I said something very similar to my boyfriend. Sam's lookin' rough and I can't imagine being kidnapped by GI Joe is helping matters much. When he snaps it's going to be glorious and possibly very bloody.

I was convinced that Hannah was going to get gravely injured and Cas was going to grace suck her. I'm still not sure that isn't going to happen.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

cool kids inc. posted:

Probably, but it was excellent. Best line of the evening.

I preferred 'Does the Tin Man have a sheet-metal Willy?'. Also, that should be the new thread title.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't dig the opener much when I watched it, but then I realized that HOLY gently caress this is the first premiere that wasn't a virtual reboot of the finale.

poo poo happened in the end of season 9 that is still going on now, and will go on for a bit longer hopefully.

Normally Cas would be cured, Demon Dean would be back to regular rear end in a top hat Dean, and Sam would be off hitting another dog or something.

Instead, everyone is basically hosed and will stay that way for a while.

I'm lovin' it.

Also, got linked to this earlier and had to laugh.

http://imgur.com/a/omBN7

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I didn't dig the opener much when I watched it, but then I realized that HOLY gently caress this is the first premiere that wasn't a virtual reboot of the finale.

poo poo happened in the end of season 9 that is still going on now, and will go on for a bit longer hopefully.

Ehh, to be fair Seasons 6 & 8 both had finales that weren't immediately resolved (okay God Cas was but because he absorbed everything in purgatory that let the Leviathans out).

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

This was an interesting opening ep - it did feel odd, rather subdued. I have no problems with such a change of pace though, and I'm interested to see where they go from here.

Re: Bloodlines - it sucked, horribly. But I've said this before and I'll say it again - I would kill for the creators to follow it up with a big-budget official open-world co-op action game about Sam and Dean returning to Chicago and wiping out the monster families. The story setup really feels like it was tailor-made for a game in some ways, like how we have a single open location and a collection of different enemy types all ruled by higher-level, more powerful bosses.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

This was an interesting opening ep - it did feel odd, rather subdued. I have no problems with such a change of pace though, and I'm interested to see where they go from here.

Re: Bloodlines - it sucked, horribly. But I've said this before and I'll say it again - I would kill for the creators to follow it up with a big-budget official open-world co-op action game about Sam and Dean returning to Chicago and wiping out the monster families. The story setup really feels like it was tailor-made for a game in some ways, like how we have a single open location and a collection of different enemy types all ruled by higher-level, more powerful bosses.

Not 100% what you're looking for, since it is a single player RPG. But you might want to check out Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. You basically play as a noob vampire doing quests given to you by other vampires higher up on the food chain.

Edit: It will probably go on sale on steam around Halloween. And you will need to install some fan patches to make it playable.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

Not 100% what you're looking for, since it is a single player RPG. But you might want to check out Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. You basically play as a noob vampire doing quests given to you by other vampires higher up on the food chain.

Edit: It will probably go on sale on steam around Halloween. And you will need to install some fan patches to make it playable.

Oh, I wasn't actually looking for a game specifically like that or anything. I just really do think that the plot Bloodlines set up feels like it would be great for a game, and that I believe it would be a legitimately good way to salvage that episode rather than hurling it in the trash, not to mention that I would just love to have an official Supernatural action game. I can't be the only one who wants to go kill monsters with a buddy as Sam and Dean in co-op.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

BreakAtmo posted:

Oh, I wasn't actually looking for a game specifically like that or anything. I just really do think that the plot Bloodlines set up feels like it would be great for a game, and that I believe it would be a legitimately good way to salvage that episode rather than hurling it in the trash, not to mention that I would just love to have an official Supernatural action game. I can't be the only one who wants to go kill monsters with a buddy as Sam and Dean in co-op.

Now I imagine it with the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor. I want a Supernatural adventure game from Telltale games too.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 10, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yaos posted:

Now I imagine it with the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor. I want a Supernatural adventure game from Telltale games too.

Yep. I honestly imagine the Nemesis System is going to be in a shitload of games from here on out, and it would own in a Supernatural game. Though it wouldn't work the same way without some constant resurrection element to the story. Probably just have it apply to monsters that escape from the player?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

BreakAtmo posted:

Yep. I honestly imagine the Nemesis System is going to be in a shitload of games from here on out, and it would own in a Supernatural game. Though it wouldn't work the same way without some constant resurrection element to the story. Probably just have it apply to monsters that escape from the player?

Play a monster constantly killing hunters that get resurrected because of *plot reasons*.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, one thing you can say about Supernatural, anyone who dies absolutely stays dead forever 100% of the time.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, one thing you can say about Supernatural, anyone who dies absolutely stays dead forever 100% of the time.

Sure, but those times generally had specific reasons that no longer apply. Like, the resurrections in S5 were due to the boys being important to the apocalypse, but that's over. Gabriel is dead. Demon deals wouldn't work due to the costs involved - remember, Shadow of Mordor's conceit is that every time you die you automatically resurrect in-story with no real cost. I know we all joke about how little death means in SPN, but I can't honestly think of a way that completely infinite in-story resurrections could be justified in a remotely decent way. Castiel maybe, but can he still do that?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Play a monster constantly killing hunters that get resurrected because of *plot reasons*.

Well, at least we know the correct way to do DLC.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BreakAtmo posted:

Sure, but those times generally had specific reasons that no longer apply. Like, the resurrections in S5 were due to the boys being important to the apocalypse, but that's over. Gabriel is dead. Demon deals wouldn't work due to the costs involved - remember, Shadow of Mordor's conceit is that every time you die you automatically resurrect in-story with no real cost. I know we all joke about how little death means in SPN, but I can't honestly think of a way that completely infinite in-story resurrections could be justified in a remotely decent way. Castiel maybe, but can he still do that?

Well, at least we know the correct way to do DLC.

You could have a guy who is immortal due to a curse or a spell, but still no stronger or smarter than an average human. Takes up hunting because reasons. Not sure how they'd tie in Sam and Dean though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

You could have a guy who is immortal due to a curse or a spell, but still no stronger or smarter than an average human. Takes up hunting because reasons. Not sure how they'd tie in Sam and Dean though.

Well, I'd want Sam and Dean to be involved. You could have this character team up with them somehow to bring down the Chicago monsters because plot. Have the player play as him/her (maybe even make the character customisable?) and have Sam and Dean as AI partners. Still, I imagine many people would prefer to actually play as the boys. Even if it was just fangirls rotating the camera around their chiselled next-gen abs.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Really its just the brothers (and Cas) that keep coming back.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BreakAtmo posted:

Well, I'd want Sam and Dean to be involved. You could have this character team up with them somehow to bring down the Chicago monsters because plot. Have the player play as him/her (maybe even make the character customisable?) and have Sam and Dean as AI partners. Still, I imagine many people would prefer to actually play as the boys. Even if it was just fangirls rotating the camera around their chiselled next-gen abs.

I guess they could go old school and if you die it is a game over. Restore to previous save point and try again. That would be better than Sam and Dean getting resurrected dozens of times.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

I guess they could go old school and if you die it is a game over. Restore to previous save point and try again. That would be better than Sam and Dean getting resurrected dozens of times.

The discussion was about how one could get the Nemesis System from Shadow of Mordor to work in the game. I don't know if you're familiar with it, but it basically works like this:

- You don't merely get a game over and start from the last checkpoint, your character is connected to a wraith and is actually resurrected in-story whenever you die.

- Any orc that kills you gains a name and is promoted, becoming a kind of mini-boss Captain that is more powerful, and becomes even more powerful every time they kill you. They even recognise you and comment on how they remember killing you, and you become well-known as the Gravewalker who seemingly can't die.

So basically, implementing the Nemesis System into a game requires enemies to be capable of fighting you and surviving to fight again in some fashion.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

BreakAtmo posted:

Castiel maybe, but can he still do that?

Cas can't even heal a busted shoulder. Bringing someone back from the dead is probably not gonna be possible for him anymore. He's gonna be lucky if after all the grace burns out he's human and not a burnt husk of dead former angel.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

BreakAtmo posted:

The discussion was about how one could get the Nemesis System from Shadow of Mordor to work in the game. I don't know if you're familiar with it, but it basically works like this:

- You don't merely get a game over and start from the last checkpoint, your character is connected to a wraith and is actually resurrected in-story whenever you die.

- Any orc that kills you gains a name and is promoted, becoming a kind of mini-boss Captain that is more powerful, and becomes even more powerful every time they kill you. They even recognise you and comment on how they remember killing you, and you become well-known as the Gravewalker who seemingly can't die.

So basically, implementing the Nemesis System into a game requires enemies to be capable of fighting you and surviving to fight again in some fashion.

Neither of those things are even a little bit necessary to have a Nemesis-like system of unique enemies that exist as part of a power structure that remember their previous encounters with you, though. You could still have 90% of what makes that system cool without including the "if they kill you, they get promoted" part. That's just one of like a dozen cool aspects of that system.

And hey, if you really want to include that aspect, you could still let the enemies defeat you. There's nothing that says every time a player is defeated, he has to die. There have been plenty of games where the player survives defeat.

If it really bothers you to imagine a vampire not finishing off a hunter, just give him some story MacGuffin where he gets teleported away, healed, or otherwise rescued when he's about to die or whatever. An angel support buddy could do any of those things easily and it would fit very well.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Wait, I thought you were specifically talking about orcs getting resurrected (which I think is also occasionally a thing in Shadow of Mordor?). If it's just the players being killed and you'd absolutely want to keep that element, it's loving easy to find a reason in the Supernatural "universe", which is really pretty loose and keeps changing and getting added to every time the writers feel like.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

richardfun posted:

I preferred 'Does the Tin Man have a sheet-metal Willy?'. Also, that should be the new thread title.

Really? Not a single 'second' for this as a new thread title?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Neither of those things are even a little bit necessary to have a Nemesis-like system of unique enemies that exist as part of a power structure that remember their previous encounters with you, though. You could still have 90% of what makes that system cool without including the "if they kill you, they get promoted" part. That's just one of like a dozen cool aspects of that system.

And hey, if you really want to include that aspect, you could still let the enemies defeat you. There's nothing that says every time a player is defeated, he has to die. There have been plenty of games where the player survives defeat.

If it really bothers you to imagine a vampire not finishing off a hunter, just give him some story MacGuffin where he gets teleported away, healed, or otherwise rescued when he's about to die or whatever. An angel support buddy could do any of those things easily and it would fit very well.

I know that, I already suggested above that they could make it so enemies run away when a battle isn't going their way. There are other ways, it just kind of snowballed into Supernatural Resurrection Chat.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bzsqan_IAAAjU1M.jpg:large

I just don't know.....

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

BreakAtmo posted:

fangirls rotating the camera around their chiselled next-gen abs.

I'm not gonna lie, this is the first thing I would do. Well, that and try to get enough power ups with demon blood that Sam can loving fly.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I was pleased with the season opening. They didn't fix everything. Having a hunter hunt Dean is kinda neat. Tonight's episode should be great. Though I would think that the men of letters would have something on the mark of Cain. Also who was Sam calling it sounded like Garth to me but I was watching on my tablet so the sound quality wasn't the best.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Is Supernatural airing on a different network in Canada these days?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Dean unleashed is so much fun. Unless your a bouncer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

drat, poo poo got dark in the last few minutes.