Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

People were reporting that that Zotac 970 has coil whine. Out of curiousity I did some research and found this:

This is the Zotac 970 (the non-amp version) board:

Here is a reference 670 board:

Hmmmmmm. Anyway it seems the consensus is the whine can sort itself out if you run some nonstop benchmarks, or there might be a way to apply nail polish to the Yageo R22 chokes. I'll wait to see how mine actually behave when I get them.

I think people have been reporting that literally every card barring the MSI have coil whine, as that's what I saw in every review. I'm using the amp version of the Zotac so that might be why I don't have whine, but it seems a pretty widespread problem across most of the companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I guess you're right, looking on Youtube I can find a video of 970 coil whine from I think every single model there is, even Strix and MSI.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mr E posted:

I think people have been reporting that literally every card barring the MSI have coil whine, as that's what I saw in every review. I'm using the amp version of the Zotac so that might be why I don't have whine, but it seems a pretty widespread problem across most of the companies.

I'm pretty sure the Asus Strix is free of coil whine as well.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I thought worrying about card size was for pussies with micro itx cases and the like. Certainly not my hefty fractal define r3. Welp. My gigabyte 970 is about 5 mm too long. gently caress this gay earth. My options are now 1) trade in the card, 2) buy a new case, or 3) buy a dremel and remove part of the left side of the hdd caddy. I'm leaning towards 3.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Zero VGS posted:

Not a typo, I'm saying the reference 670 and the Zotac 970 (which might also be reference I dunno) are the same board, even down to components besides the GPU itself and the size of the ram.

And popping open the cover on the chokes and putting a drop of nail polish on them can with a lot of boards prevent the coil noise once the polish hardens, because it buffers the coil's physical vibration.

I see you fast-talked Microcenter into giving you Pre-Sequel vouchers when you know drat well they don't come with those cards :P

I would have done the same thing.

Actually I didn't even ask. I walked in and asked the dude if he was ready to make money today. Pointed at the cards and he's like "oh wait that comes with a game, be right back". :)

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Richard M Nixon posted:

I thought worrying about card size was for pussies with micro itx cases and the like. Certainly not my hefty fractal define r3. Welp. My gigabyte 970 is about 5 mm too long. gently caress this gay earth. My options are now 1) trade in the card, 2) buy a new case, or 3) buy a dremel and remove part of the left side of the hdd caddy. I'm leaning towards 3.

Depending on how much you need to knock off, a file might be a cheaper option.

...But don't let me talk you out of buying a dremel.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'd be more inclined to do (2). You'd have the added bonus of a much nicer case.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

I certainly haven't heard any from mine.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I have yet to hear any coil while from my ASUS 660Ti which is another reason I'm leaning towards the ASUS 970.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Okay - so it's not 100% foolproof, since not enough time has passed to confirm whether or not it was the culprit, but turning off Afterburner seems to have spared me OpenGL/driver-stoppage crashes in at least ONE of the applications that was giving me grief.

The downside of course being that my card is now doing the default 'roller coaster' up to the fan activation temperature rather than my being able to set it to run the fans all the time.

EDIT: Just suffered a crash in Hearthstone, so that's not fixed, but others have reported crashes with 9xx cards and Hearthstone as well.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 10, 2014

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
So i've noticed Zotac came out with 3 versions of the 970 - a standard, p minimalistic one, also small, a slightly OC version with 2 coolers - the AMP! Omega Edition and a slightly more OC version with 3 coolers - the AMP! Extreme Edition.
edit: Same thing for the 980 with 3 versions of them. They still look like solid boards, so my questions remains - why aren't they (as in zotac in general) talked about more? D:

Btw what in the world happened to Leadtek? My first gaming PC had one of their video cards and when i bought my last PC they were still known for some of the best nvidia video card makers out there, where did they go?

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 10, 2014

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Mr E posted:

I have seen reports of coil whine from the MSI. I haven't been able to detect any from mine however.

After quite a long time with no fan issues it returned. With how unpredictable it is I doubt the vendor will be able to confirm it and will likely refuse the RMA, so I have now set a custom profile with 30% as the floor, I still can't hear it so if that works I can live with it.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Hamburger Test posted:

I have seen reports of coil whine from the MSI. I haven't been able to detect any from mine however.

After quite a long time with no fan issues it returned. With how unpredictable it is I doubt the vendor will be able to confirm it and will likely refuse the RMA, so I have now set a custom profile with 30% as the floor, I still can't hear it so if that works I can live with it.

I honestly can't hear my Gigabyte 970 at all, gaming or idle. Whether this is a testament to a lack of coil whine and quiet fans or the noise dampening of the H440, I couldn't say.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hamburger Test posted:

Contact MSI directly, they have a RMA department.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Richard M Nixon posted:

That's weird, the R3's specs say max gpu length is 290mm, while a GTX 980 is only 270mm?

[edit] Sorry, the 270mm is for reference 980, I don't know how long the Gigabyte ones are.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

That's weird, the R3's specs say max gpu length is 290mm, while a GTX 980 is only 270mm?

[edit] Sorry, the 270mm is for reference 980, I don't know how long the Gigabyte ones are.

"Gigabyte Spec Sheet posted:

Card size L=312mm, W=129mm, H=43mm

That is one long bloody graphics card.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

Yep that's it. There's a little bit more room than advertised, but not enough.

Of the 8 hdd bays, I'd have to take out enough of the left mounting rail to reduce the count to 5. The steel is thin but it's probably 6-8" long. I haven't done any hardware modding involving cutting poo poo apart before, so it's new to me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

uaciaut posted:

They still look like solid boards, so my questions remains - why aren't they (as in zotac in general) talked about more? D:

From what I understand, Zotac are the Nvidia branch of the cards known as Sapphire brand for AMD. They're both owned by the same company. I'm not sure what the strategic value is in splitting brands like that but there you have it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

BurritoJustice posted:

A good excuse as any to buy an obsidian 900D, 500mm of gpu space! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XPxLD0GNI

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 10, 2014

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

From what I understand, Zotac are the Nvidia branch of the cards known as Sapphire brand for AMD. They're both owned by the same company. I'm not sure what the strategic value is in splitting brands like that but there you have it.

This is a really weird thing. There's a press release from PC Partner Group 2011 saying that they "manufacture products for brands such as AMD and Sapphire" and "The Group manufactures and sells video graphics under its own brands, namely ZOTAC, Inno3D and Manli as well as and other PC related products such as mini-PCs and motherboards under its own brands, namely ZOTAC and Manli." However there are some pieces of news from 2006 indicating that Sapphire was a PC Partner "brand" at that time. Maybe Sapphire split off at some point or maybe they are still under the same umbrella but it's hard to find any concrete links anymore.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

We've had that discussion before. My brain's telling me "used to be partners, umbrella company has mad manufacturing capability and in-place relationships so much like AMD and GlobalFoundries, they're still tapped for mfg since it's easier than finding someone new to do it." But that could be simply misremembering. I did a lot of "why aren't more people talking about Zotac?" back when they first really jumped out, when nVidia launched the... uh... 560Ti/448 through them, I think? First time I noticed how close they'd been getting with nVidia.

Now that Greenlight ensures that the only common defects tend to be fundamental rather than something the mfgs have "added," basic construction isn't the question anymore so much as features and support. I was ready to recommend Zotac back in the Fermi generation, but they are weirdly low-key, especially around launch time, at least in the U.S.; could be like PNY and be huge elsewhere but relatively minor here.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Mine does not have any coil whine, half the reason I went with it was I couldn't find one report of it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Agreed posted:

We've had that discussion before. My brain's telling me "used to be partners, umbrella company has mad manufacturing capability and in-place relationships so much like AMD and GlobalFoundries, they're still tapped for mfg since it's easier than finding someone new to do it." But that could be simply misremembering. I did a lot of "why aren't more people talking about Zotac?" back when they first really jumped out, when nVidia launched the... uh... 560Ti/448 through them, I think? First time I noticed how close they'd been getting with nVidia.

Now that Greenlight ensures that the only common defects tend to be fundamental rather than something the mfgs have "added," basic construction isn't the question anymore so much as features and support. I was ready to recommend Zotac back in the Fermi generation, but they are weirdly low-key, especially around launch time, at least in the U.S.; could be like PNY and be huge elsewhere but relatively minor here.

You always see zotac cards in Australia - also gainward, galaxy and PNY, although PNY and galaxy are usually the cheapest, and normally reference cooled options. Pretty sure my 9800GX2s from back in the day were PNY.

Galaxy and zotac often use 3 slot coolers though.

edit: forgot Palit. They always seem to be on sale for less than anyone else.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Physx question: Would a gtx 560 physx co-processor be able to keep up with a gtx 970? I have seen a test where if the physx card is too slow it will drag down the FPS. Is there any formula for figuring out what cards would work together?

Dedicated PhysX Card Experiment - How Powerful Does it Have to Be? Linus Tech Tips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I haven't seen the game yet that can bring my 650Ti PhysX card over about 22% utilization. I'd imagine that very substantially lower bandwidth might affect things, and I am not sure how legacy support for much older cards works with PhysX.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Welp, thanks to the 970's causing AMD to drop prices I just bought a MSI 290 for the same price I bought this 280X for. Now I need to find a buyer for a used 280X with brand-new MSI-installed fans. It was fun for a few months, but it didn't end up being fast enough for me coming from a 6970. :confuoot:

Definitely glad I got one with a transferable warranty though since it doesn't seem to have impacted resale value that much at least.

edit: Tight fit- good thing the PCI-E plugs point to the side of the case.
VVV

future ghost fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 10, 2014

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Looks like I had nothing to worry about with fitting the Gigabyte Gaming 970 in a Fractal Define R3. The specs said it shouldn't fit and I believed it, but the card came today and it fit! I had to turn the card to actually get it inside the case, but it does install just fine. Check out that clearance...

Sorry for the mess, I'm in the middle of rewiring and dusting as long as I'm in there.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Newegg has the gigabyte 970 gaming card in stock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684

I ordered mine.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

Newegg has the gigabyte 970 gaming card in stock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684

I ordered mine.

Just came here to post that, ordered one as well. Wanted an MSI but with no tax, this is cheaper than the MSI on amazon.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Richard M Nixon posted:

Looks like I had nothing to worry about with fitting the Gigabyte Gaming 970 in a Fractal Define R3. The specs said it shouldn't fit and I believed it, but the card came today and it fit! I had to turn the card to actually get it inside the case, but it does install just fine. Check out that clearance...

Sorry for the mess, I'm in the middle of rewiring and dusting as long as I'm in there.

Hmmmmmmm. I have the same case and this post really makes me want to pick up some 970s :)

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
When people are saying the MSI 970 throttles when you overclock it, what does that mean?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Duck and burger posted:

When people are saying the MSI 970 throttles when you overclock it, what does that mean?

Its what happens when the card exceeds their TDP power limit, voltage or temp. Apparently they have a lower power limit.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

quote:

As the MSI and ASUS cards approach clock speeds higher than 1501mhz, they will continue to throttle due to the power limit even if voltage and temperature requirements are still met safely.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
I know i've seen it somewhere, but how does the 970 compare against the 980? I've got money coming in this week that would let me afford either one.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Smegma Princess X posted:

I know i've seen it somewhere, but how does the 970 compare against the 980? I've got money coming in this week that would let me afford either one.

970 is most of the 980 for way less than the actual performance difference. If you must have modestly higher performance, you can buy it, but we're talking barely an improvement to merit double digits - and the 970 overclocks like fuckin' crazy so far and seems to make up most of the difference in the process.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Smegma Princess X posted:

The 980 is something like 10-15% more performance for ~210 bucks more. If you're absolutely dead-set against SLI and want the best single-card solution, the 980 is preferable if you're running 2560x1440+. Otherwise, you will get more value getting a 970 and buying a second to SLI later on when the fervor's died down. SLIed 970s will also be viable for 4K.

Also, you'll hear an 8GB 980 is rumored to be out before the end of the year. If you would be inclined to wait for that, keep in mind that a very large chunk of the cost in the current cards is the GDDR5. So tacking on another 4GB of that will very likely add something like 150-200 dollars on top of what a 980 costs now.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 11, 2014

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 980 is something like 10-15% more performance for ~210 bucks more. If you're absolutely dead-set against SLI and want the best single-card solution, the 980 is preferable if you're running 2560x1440+. Otherwise, you will get more value getting a 970 and buying a second to SLI later on when the fervor's died down. SLIed 970s will also be viable for 4K.

Also, you'll hear an 8GB 980 is rumored to be out before the end of the year. If you would be inclined to wait for that, keep in mind that a very large chunk of the cost in the current cards is the GDDR5. So tacking on another 4GB of that will very likely add something like 150-200 dollars on top of what a 980 costs now.

The most I have a tendency to run is two 1080s with one running a game and another doing something else. I'm never thinking of doing SLI.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Stop buying so many 970/980's you guys, you delayed the 960!

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/nvidia-postpones-release-of-geforce-gtx-960-graphics-card/

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
alternatively; they are so effective at producing these cores that they don't have enough to cut down.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Well that means I'm buying a 970 then that is if the ASUS model ever comes back in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've never bothered with overclocking before but kind of want to give it a try with my new MSI 970. Is there a guide somewhere or some tips to get me started? I tried using this guide, but managed to crash the drivers once using their recommended settings and then ran into the throttling thing earlier when I tried overclocking without changing the voltage. Following a crash my framerate about halved until I rebooted my computer. While I feel like I probably shouldn't be loving around with this stuff I'd like to get the most out of this card!