Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for doom poo poo that incorporates the rhodes or whatever a keyboardist in a cool way? I hear the rhodes is kind of common in doom but I don't think I've ever really heard/noticed much of that action. My knowledge of the genre really only consists of what I assume are basically the casual pothead staples(satan worshipping doom, dopesmoker, belzebong etc).

Some of the older italian doom bands like Black Hole or Paul Chain had very prominent keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
drat, Danava didn't make it across the Canadian border. I was looking forward to seeing them more than Uncle Acid, so hopefully the show tonight isn't a disappointment.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I missed Windhands show :(

After having my mind blown by Elders Dead Roots Stirring and checking out their other stuff....uhhhh, what?

the first album is like some weird 90s local dumb metal band-vibe stuff that is just boring, but makes sense as a finding their feet sorta scenario.

then you have DRS, which is incredible on every level. the band matured.

after that, Spires burn/release and its sorta 60/40 split between the feel of the first album and DRS but no where near as impressive.

I dont think I have ever come across a band with such varying styles between releases.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
any recommendations like Fall of Efrafa? I love all three albums and can't get enough :v:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

drat, Danava didn't make it across the Canadian border. I was looking forward to seeing them more than Uncle Acid, so hopefully the show tonight isn't a disappointment.

Super jealous of you northwestern folk. Those guys never make it down south, and I can only imagine how face melting they are live.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Uncle Acid were pretty boring, actually. They played a solid set, but most of their songs sound very similar, and they didn't vary them at all from the album versions. "Uncle Acid" himself did a great job of copping Iommi's tone and licks, but the rest of the band seemed uninspired.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Skilleddk posted:

any recommendations like Fall of Efrafa? I love all three albums and can't get enough :v:

Try Light Bearer. It's Fall of Efrafa's vocalist's new band.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Uncle Acid were pretty boring, actually. They played a solid set, but most of their songs sound very similar, and they didn't vary them at all from the album versions. "Uncle Acid" himself did a great job of copping Iommi's tone and licks, but the rest of the band seemed uninspired.

I went into it kinda hoping it would be on point to the album's sound so I was pretty happy. The only thing that bugged me was the drummer's sound, it was way too "arena rock" for a band like that. Ah well, I still had a great time and Black Wizard never fails to bring it.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

http://www.desertfest.be/ , starting tomorrow :getin:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
No mention of Orange Goblin's new album yet? What the gently caress guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aHhv-zE7Kg

Demon Blues takes it back to The Big Black for me, which is the last OG album I really felt connected to, then Heavy Lies The Crown is like straight out of Frequencies/TTB era. Stoked. This album's pretty drat good so far.

I'm always amazed at how quickly full albums get posted to youtube and not taken down. Let's see how long this lasts.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 10, 2014

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Handen posted:

straight out of Frequencies/TTB era

That’s all I need to hear.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up for interested people: Bongripper's going to have represses of the Miserable vinyls up today at 10:00 AM CST, along with some shirts and stuff. Finally going to get my goat shirt :hellyeah:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Shakenbaker posted:

Just a heads up for interested people: Bongripper's going to have represses of the Miserable vinyls up today at 10:00 AM CST, along with some shirts and stuff. Finally going to get my goat shirt :hellyeah:

Wow! Thanks for the tip, I didn't know the represses were coming around. The marble grey looks fantastic! Alas, no goat head shirts and limited sizes of the others.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Wow! Thanks for the tip, I didn't know the represses were coming around. The marble grey looks fantastic! Alas, no goat head shirts and limited sizes of the others.

The quality of the original Miserable pressing (black) was excellent, didn't have any warping and the mastering was better than some of the big name doom vinyls I've gotten recently, so if they've kept it the same you'll definitely be pleased!

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.
Any doom goons going to Desertfest UK in April? They just announced Red Fang as one of the headliners, alongside Sleep and Orange Goblin.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but the new Godflesh is out and it kills. Has anyone else heard it yet?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Friends Are Evil posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but the new Godflesh is out and it kills. Has anyone else heard it yet?

Of the billion comeback albums of the year it's by far the best.

I'm listening to the new Orange Goblin right now and it's cool too.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Yeah, saw that. Bummed about the no goat shirts but glad you got some use from the tip at least.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

I saw Uncle Acid and Danava in Montreal and I found every Danava song sounded the same which was a little grating after 30 minutes (the drummer was awesome though), I guess different strokes? The crowd was way more into Uncle Acid, and the band was into it so maybe it was an off night where you were, I dunno.

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
Same experience in Denver. Danava was tight, better than the last time I saw them but they're so boring after a few songs.

Uncle Acid was great but I'm primarily a Blood Lust fan. Either way, great show.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Roark posted:

Any doom goons going to Desertfest UK in April? They just announced Red Fang as one of the headliners, alongside Sleep and Orange Goblin.

Kinda tempting, I'd really love to see Sleep again and Red Fang and Orange Goblin are both decent. I don't really want to have to go to London though, guess it depends who else is on the lineup.

Pretty sure I'll be going to Temples Festival in Bristol though.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

God, this Inter Arma track rips.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Somehow I got on Inter Arma's mailing list because I've gotten e-mails from them a few times before, but I can't remember ever listening to them before :confused:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

oversteps posted:

God, this Inter Arma track rips.

You're not kidding. I think this may top Sky Burial for me.

Pre-release listen for anyone interested; it's a single 45 minute track: http://pitchfork.com/advance/567-the-cavern/

And don't forget to pre-order/support them if you like it: http://interarma.bandcamp.com/

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Holy crap, that's immense. I put that on yesterday thinking eh I'll listen to it, maybe get some work done and ended up staring at the wall for 45 minutes.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Today brings new: Today is the Day, the Melvins, Kayo Dot, Inter Arma, MoE, Arabrot, and a bunch of cool stuff that's a little off of the thread's topic (notably Rings of Saturn and Septycal Gorge)

And a band called "Weed is Weed" that I'm not really digging so far.

(also the new Bongripper EP finally showed up on Spotify)

:D :D :D

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Been meaning to check out the new Today is the Day and I had no idea there was a new Melvins album.

Rings of Saturn are terrible.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
They remind me of Archspire; it seems fun

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I cannot fathom a less appropriate thread to discuss RoS haha

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

nerve posted:

I cannot fathom a less appropriate thread to discuss RoS haha

RoS shouldn't be allowed in any thread.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
New Melvins is pretty dope, this is the album featuring Leary and Pinkus from Butthole Surfers. Some parts of it are the poppiest stuff the Melvins have done in awhile and others are classic sludge

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Blast Fantasto posted:

New Melvins is pretty dope, this is the album featuring Leary and Pinkus from Butthole Surfers. Some parts of it are the poppiest stuff the Melvins have done in awhile and others are classic sludge

I've listened to it 2 or 3 times now. Being a fan of both Melvins and Butthole Surfers, I can easily determine which songs Leary and Pinkus contributed to. I just wish there was a little more of a true collaboration. Still, a classic Melvins release with classic Buzz riffs. Wish I was getting to see the tour this fall.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Saw Fu Manchu yesterday and had an awesome time. They seem to be still going strong, and had great energy throughout. Beers were drunk, heads were banged etc.
I was really impressed by the opening act, Bloodnstuff, who I hadn't heard before. They might not quite fit into this thread (more of a postrock/progressive/poppish sound I guess) but they played really well, super tight and had a loving massive sound, especially coming from a guitar+drums duo.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Possibly Chicken posted:

RoS shouldn't be allowed in any thread.

Wish I could empty-quote this forever.

Anyway: Roadburn tickets go on sale tomorrow? Any other Goons heading for Doom-Mecca?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Saw Fu Manchu yesterday and had an awesome time. They seem to be still going strong, and had great energy throughout. Beers were drunk, heads were banged etc.
I was really impressed by the opening act, Bloodnstuff, who I hadn't heard before. They might not quite fit into this thread (more of a postrock/progressive/poppish sound I guess) but they played really well, super tight and had a loving massive sound, especially coming from a guitar+drums duo.

I just came back from seeing this lineup. The Fu were cool and played some classic tunes, but I thought Bloodnstuff were pretty boring. Now for a few hours sleep, then I head north for Urfaust/Bölzer/Cult Of Fire/etc.

nomapple posted:

Anyway: Roadburn tickets go on sale tomorrow? Any other Goons heading for Doom-Mecca?
Oh yes, 2015 will mark my fifth consecutive year of chilling at the 013.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

big scary monsters posted:

Kinda tempting, I'd really love to see Sleep again and Red Fang and Orange Goblin are both decent. I don't really want to have to go to London though, guess it depends who else is on the lineup.

Pretty sure I'll be going to Temples Festival in Bristol though.

It's really tempting. I live Stateside now, but I'll be back visiting family for two weeks in April. A trip over to London to see Sleep might be needed to break up two weeks in rural rear end Northern Ireland.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

ElectricWizard posted:

Oh yes, 2015 will mark my fifth consecutive year of chilling at the 013.

Fifth year for me too! Scored my tickets, now I just need to get that accommodation locked down. Then, Temples not long afterwards... truly the doomiest time of the year.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Pallbearer worth a late night? They're here in November, but it's the middle of the week and they seem like the sort of band that would go on at midnight because DOOOOOM.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

hatelull posted:

Pallbearer worth a late night? They're here in November, but it's the middle of the week and they seem like the sort of band that would go on at midnight because DOOOOOM.

Yes.

Also, gently caress everyone that saw Pallbearer and YOB. gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Yes.

Also, gently caress everyone that saw Pallbearer and YOB. gently caress you.

No, gently caress you. gently caress you for not seeing them.