Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Plugging in overnight is the best way to make sure that it never runs out unexpectedly because you never forget to do it. If you are worried about it reducing the lifetime of your battery by 0.2% then tell yourself to shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Hmmm and I wonder if manufacturers include some kind of computer machine chip that ensures batteries are not held at 100% while on the charger

Not until the 6S+, I hear.

But really, you don't have to worry about that anymore.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Also on the low end no phone made in the last 10 years actually lets you drain the battery to 0% unless you try. They'll shut off on their own well before then.

I have an iPhone 4 that's been left in a drawer for two years and when I plugged it into the charger the other day it was at 10%.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

beeman posted:

sorry if this has been discussed already. I have another year on my 5s contract. Is there a possibility Apple will keep updating its 4 inch screen iphone platform? just curious

No one knows but Apple.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Hmmm and I wonder if manufacturers include some kind of computer machine chip that ensures batteries are not held at 100% while on the charger

Yeah, right. Next thing you're going to tell me is this magical "chip" will do small micro charge and discharge cycles to make sure the battery never hits 100%. Or that the "100%" you see on the display is actually around 98% in terms of raw battery capacity.

Are there leprechauns and unicorns in your world?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I just got my 6 last night. Love it except it has a dead/stuck pixel near one of the corners. Guess I'll be paying a visit to an att store.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Is it just me or is the wifi slower with the latest iOS (iPhone 5)?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

Quite a few people are reporting issues with Wi-Fi and iOS 8. I saw no issues with my AEBS at home, but saw some spotty performance on university APs that used to work great for me. Since going to 8.1 beta I haven't had any issues at any locations, so my advice is to just wait it out. The same advice applies to those having issues with Bluetooth and iOS 8.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know we all had a little bit of a lovers quarrel earlier regarding iOS 8 bugs, but has anyone experienced iMessage banners that don't go away and/or when you go to a text via banner swipe or lock screen swipe it doesn't go to the bottom of the message screen where the most recently received message would be?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah, I get those and also sometimes notifications won't go away when I change orientation, or, actually, orientation will not change and the notification will still be there. Basically holding phone in portrait mode, notification pops down, turn phone to landscape, notification is stuck and phone still displays as portrait (or changes to landscape and notification stays in portrait mode, I don't remember). I'll have to actively swipe the notification up/left for it to disappear or hit the home button or something.

n4lrah
Jan 2, 2014

Herping ur derp

Rated PG-34 posted:

Completely messed up my Ipad Air 2, twitch and netflix not watchable

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

n4lrah posted:

Completely messed up my Ipad Air 2, twitch and netflix not watchable

How much will you sell me your time machine for?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any way to get rid of the recent added photos library?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Any way to get rid of the recent added photos library?
Wait for 8.1 when it's replaced by the old Camera Roll.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Molten Llama posted:

Theoretically, yes. MFP or any of a handful of apps should be an easy workaround for Fitbit's lack of HealthKit support.

Problem is that Fitbit's lovely API frequently fails to work, so the third-party app never gets any data, so nothing ever makes it to Health.

Also MFP's hooks into Healthkit don't include a "steps" option. So theoretically possible on the dev side, I guess, but not currently possible.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

My Withings wifi scale is working with Healthkit now. Awesome.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

the kawaiiest posted:

Highly unlikely. I think they're gonna keep the 5s around as the cheap phone next year, but I really don't think they'll be making small phones anymore. Everyone wants the bigger screens, I mean, they've never sold this many iPhones this fast before. I can't imagine why they'd spend the money to make smaller phones if only a small number of people will be buying them.

I'm more interested to see what the C line would be like for the larger screen phones. I love the thin aluminum on my 6+ but part of me will always love some good plastic. My favorite laptop ever was the unibody plastic macbook, and I love my girlfriends 5c.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
?

Ben Murphy fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 25, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

grady posted:

Like many others, I haven't had a single problem with my upgrade from a 5 to the 6+.

Ended up noticing the impressive bluetooth range in the oddest way when my girlfriend and I left from picking up my car from the shop. She was following behind me in her car, but I left my phone in her purse. It was tethered to my car's stereo and started playing the last Pandora station I had up. As long as she didn't get further than about 2-3 cars lengths away from me it would play fine. I was even able to use my car's HUD to call her phone from mine.
The call is coming from INSIDE THE CAR!!!!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
For those having problems with a lot of "Other" showing up after a failed music sync, use an app like iFunBox or iExplore and go to:
Raw File System -> iTunes_Control -> Music
Where you'll find a bunch of folders named F00, F01, F02, etc. which are full of audio files with randomised names.

I told iTunes to not sync my music, then after applying that change went inside each of those folders and deleted all of the contents (not the folders themselves) and hey presto - the "Other" data is now back to a normal size of ~1GB!

I'm currently resyncing my music hoping that this will be some sort of fix for the syncing issues (currently 600 out of 7000 in and going okay so far), but if nothing else hopefully someone will find use of being able to clear out some space on their phone.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Any recommendations on apps to make your own dynamic wallpaper?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

blugu64 posted:

Any recommendations on apps to make your own dynamic wallpaper?

Did Apple open the format yet? I thought those were still proprietary.

It's basically html wrapped in some sort of container I thought.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

There is no way to make or obtain any dynamic wallpapers, I'm pretty sure. It's odd that they didn't at least make a few more for iOS 8, what's there are exactly what was there in iOS 7.

e: without a jailbreak.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hm, so how do you download songs to the local device with iTunes Match in 8? It will stream just fine, but the little cloud icon with the arrow is no longer visible...

edit: derp, nm, had to be on wifi.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 10, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Hm, so how do you download songs to the local device with iTunes Match in 8? It will stream just fine, but the little cloud icon with the arrow is no longer visible...

If you have unlimited data or you are rich, you can also go into Settings > iTunes and enable cellular downloads.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

AlternateAccount posted:

You don't have to be on wifi. That's a setting.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Quite a few people are reporting issues with Wi-Fi and iOS 8. I saw no issues with my AEBS at home, but saw some spotty performance on university APs that used to work great for me. Since going to 8.1 beta I haven't had any issues at any locations, so my advice is to just wait it out. The same advice applies to those having issues with Bluetooth and iOS 8.

This was true with iOS 7 too. It took them until 7.0.4 to patch the wi-fi issues.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You have GOT to be kidding me. #Hairgate? http://www.cnbc.com/id/102067058

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Dudes I posted about this pages and pages ago. I'm occasionally find little pocket stuff caught in the seam between the glass and the aluminum.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I just rubbed my iPhone 6 on my face both vigorously and sensually and nothing happened.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I've been shaving with my 6+ for weeks.

It's a feature.

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I just rubbed my iPhone 6 on my face both vigorously and sensually and nothing happened.

Same, also tested on the short and curlies, no issues to speak of

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Soon iPhone users will be easily identified by the bald spot on their temple.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

da weed wizard posted:

Same, also tested on the short and curlies, no issues to speak of

No issues with my rear end hair either.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
I also get little pocket lint thready things stuck in the seams of my phone. And then I remove them.

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:
Does the "wifi bug" tend to kill all data operations for anyone else?

Basically what happens to me is that I notice an app won't refresh. Wifi still shows as connected. So I disable wifi but even when on LTE still nothing will load. Once I reboot, I can use LTE or wifi just fine. I also tend to miss several iMessages per day because of this (they come flooding in after the reboot).

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
To be fair I'd noticed this the first day I got the 6+ and made a call to put Applecare+ on it. I've got a buzz cut and the only way it catches is if I move the phone up and down.

Now that I've gotten used to where the ear piece is on the phone this is a non-issue. Also I don't make that many calls.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
I know this has been asked before, but does anyone have an alternative to iTunes for Mac? It's really loving sad that nearly every version of the iPhone I've had I need to constantly restore and install the OS in order to sync music. I've had this issue since the iPhone 4 across multiple platforms. It's incredibly frustrating that I've only had this phone two days and so far I've restored it twice in order to get sync to function correctly. There also multiple threads on this issue in the Apple support forums with dozens of different options to fix it but the core issue still isn't resolve. I'm just loving ready to give up on iTunes and use something else if there is an option.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Lord Lilf posted:

I know this has been asked before, but does anyone have an alternative to iTunes for Mac? It's really loving sad that nearly every version of the iPhone I've had I need to constantly restore and install the OS in order to sync music. I've had this issue since the iPhone 4 across multiple platforms. It's incredibly frustrating that I've only had this phone two days and so far I've restored it twice in order to get sync to function correctly. There also multiple threads on this issue in the Apple support forums with dozens of different options to fix it but the core issue still isn't resolve. I'm just loving ready to give up on iTunes and use something else if there is an option.

I don't know if any of these will sync with an iPhone, but https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6446268?start=0&tstart=0 (third post down)

Personally I just pay for iTunes Match so I don't have to manage my music locally anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
iTunes Match is the best, until you're ready to graduate to spotify and leave notions of "library" behind.