Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

007: License to Fail - 007 Legends LP

Developed by Eurocom and Published by Activision, 007 Legends was released in 2012 on all platforms (PC, XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii U), the game revolves around several of James Bond's most famous exploits. In all, the game explores 5 different movies (With a 6th added via DLC): Goldfinger, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, License To Kill, Die Another Day and Moonraker (Skyfall is the DLC movie). The Skyfall DLC is no longer accessible because Activision lost the license to sell James Bond games and thus, anyone who didn't get the content (like me) is no longer able to download it.

The developers took liberties in the retelling of these stories, some more noticeable than others, as well as modernizing the stories to include more recent technologies or developments. I heavily recommend watching the movie versions of each segment that we will come across.

The game received mixed reviews and has settled at 16% and 26% rankings on gamerankings and metacritic, respectively. While it certainly isn't the worst game I've ever played, it doesn't deserve being compared to games like Big Rigs or Ride to Hell. The game was reviewed so poorly that Activision lost the license and it was eventually pulled from Amazon and Steam catalogs and as such is very hard to get a copy for the PC, whereas console copies are easier to come by.

But enough with criticism and text, join Chaos Argate and I on our failure adventure!

Mission 01: Goldfinger - Auric Enterprises

Auric Goldfinger

Oddjob :swoon:

Pussy Galore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Updates
---------------

Mission 02: Goldfinger - Fort Knox

Mission 03: Alpine Valley

Mission 04: Blofeld's Lair

Mission 05: Refinery Part 01

Mission 6: Refinery Part 02

Mission 7: Mountain Roads

Mission 08: Ice Hotel

Mission 9: Ice Lake and Graves' Cargo Plane

Mission 10: Space Port Part 1

Mission 11: Space Port Part Deux

Mission 12: Space Station

Mission 13: Skyfall DLC

Concept Art, Production and Gadget shots and other unlockables
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goldfinger

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

License to Kill

Die Another Day

Moonraker

Gifs, Fan Art
-----------------

Dance of Death by Kangra

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 25, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I would just like to point out that I've only watched Dr. No and I think Tomorrow Never Dies out of all of the Bond movies, so this is certainly going to be an experience for me. :v:

Edit:

Wikipedia posted:

007 Legends was nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Video Game Writing in the Writers Guild of America Awards.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 10, 2014

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Man, this game.

I'm a huge, huge James Bond fan. So, despite the reviews, I picked up 007 Legends based largely on the fact that it was built on the foundation of the quite good Goldeneye: Reloaded. What a mistake that was. The thing that blows me away is that you have a twenty-plus movies to draw from, many of which feature set pieces that are nothing less than iconic. And not only does this game manage to cherry pick some of the weirdest movies (Die Another Day over From Russia With Love? Really? And no Dr. No at all?), it actually manages to ruin many of the scenes it does attempt to recreate (The fight at Fort Knox essentially becomes Call of Duty Lite).

Really sucks, because I think it's kind of a novel idea to try to acknowledge the previous movies as being in some sort of canon. Like, if there was any sort of logic as to how the game was laid out, you could pay homage to the classic films while also doing something new. I mean, the From Russia With Love game from a couple of gens ago goes completely batshit crazy at the end, but still works as an adaption.

Also, holy poo poo, you really can't get the Skyfall DLC anymore? That's amazing. Because without it, the game has no structured ending.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Always wanted to see this, I kinda liked the idea they had with Goldeneye where they updated it with the Daniel Craig characterization of Bond. Not so sure how well it will work in this context, but I'm definitely curious enough to follow along, as well as see why the game was so maligned.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sef! posted:

Also, holy poo poo, you really can't get the Skyfall DLC anymore? That's amazing. Because without it, the game has no structured ending.

I find it would've been really hard to pick between Dr. No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger but, no matter what you pick, it would have some major issues. Personally, I'd really like the see a Dr. No game.

I never played From Russian With Love, maybe I'll get it someday... As for Fort Knox and later levels, I don't mind the Call of Duty-ness that much. It's disappointing that they never tried to make anything look unique like the HUD elements.

And one (or both) of us is going to get a console version to see if we can get the DLC.

Cyra posted:

I'm definitely curious enough to follow along, as well as see why the game was so maligned.

:suicide:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Likewise, I'm a gigantic Bond nerd (as in "marathon the series over several months and then decide to marathon it again with the commentary" nerd). Of course this game is a travesty, but it's interesting to see some of their interpretations of the settings in the 21st century.

This game also clearly "borrows" a lot from the modern Call of Duty games. The laser-like accuracy and low recoil with iron sights, the longer reload with a totally empty gun but not tracking the +1 in the chamber, and the "Multiple" attachment message all come straight from the recent games.

The FRWL video game deviates heavily from the movie, but only to expand it to allow for gameplay. They even got Sean Connery to return as the voice (and he sounds little different from how he was 40 years beforehand) and it remains a fun game on its own merits throughout.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 10, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Now, I know gently caress all about James Bond but CoD-ification is something that'd probably happen if the movies were shot today too. It's a sign of the age.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Now, I know gently caress all about James Bond but CoD-ification is something that'd probably happen if the movies were shot today too. It's a sign of the age.

I think it's less the "CODification" and more the outright taking specific details from the series. Like the general CODification would be the arcadey fast-paced gameplay with regenerating health, the linear environments packed with enemies, the predominate use of iron sights for accurate aiming, and the limited ability to customize guns in single and multiplayer. What I find more interesting is how you can point out very specific things that are either emulating or outright copying parts of it. It's like they just took the engine and assets and made a lovely licensed FPS from it. Like if someone had made a James Bond total conversion mod for Call of Duty 4, but really badly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it's less the "CODification" and more the outright taking specific details from the series. Like the general CODification would be the arcadey fast-paced gameplay with regenerating health, the linear environments packed with enemies, the predominate use of iron sights for accurate aiming, and the limited ability to customize guns in single and multiplayer. What I find more interesting is how you can point out very specific things that are either emulating or outright copying parts of it. It's like they just took the engine and assets and made a lovely licensed FPS from it. Like if someone had made a James Bond total conversion mod for Call of Duty 4, but really badly.

This.

anilEhilated posted:

I actually like this game after having played it to completion and the CoD-ified portions of it aren't that big a deal. I think my main gripe is that it lacks any sort of style or unique look that differentiates it from the CoD games. I also appreciate the different things they tried but I wish the execution was better.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually watching the video, it's kinda funny that literally the first name you see when you start the game is "Albert R. Broccoli". Screw 007, there's a superhero name.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

Actually watching the video, it's kinda funny that literally the first name you see when you start the game is "Albert R. Broccoli". Screw 007, there's a superhero name.

Hey, respect the man! He helped give us James Bond since Dr. No.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

As someone whose only Bond films are the Dainel Craig ones, Goldfinger , Live and Let Die, and :sigh: Die Another Day (my folks had baaad tastes when I was a lad), I'm flying into this blind. Is that bad?

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

As someone whose only Bond films are the Dainel Craig ones, Goldfinger , Live and Let Die, and :sigh: Die Another Day (my folks had baaad tastes when I was a lad), I'm flying into this blind. Is that bad?

The game does a terrible job of explaining why and what is going on outside of some minor flavor text and what you pick up as you go through a level. Honestly, I think a lot of the novelty of what 007 Legends is would be lost on someone how is not familiar with the material. That it allows you to play through famous movie scenes is kind of its whole gimmick.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

VolticSurge posted:

Everyone shits on Die Another Day but Tomorrow Never Dies was worse :colbert:

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Jobbo_Fett posted:

there's no way this is true

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Tomorrow Never Dies is the Batman & Robin of James Bond movies. And it doesn't even have the benefit of Arnold Schwarzenegger acting like a lunatic.

EDIT: Whoops, I meant Die Another Day.

Sef! fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 10, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cyra posted:

there's no way this is true

Both are 57% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Tomorrow Never Dies had Dr. Kaufman

Die Another Day had Mr. Kil

Sef! posted:

Tomorrow Never Dies is the Batman & Robin of James Bond movies. And it doesn't even have the benefit of Arnold Schwarzenegger acting like a lunatic.

I probably wouldn't go that far myself, but compared to other Brosnan movies TND is probably my least favorite.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wait what makes Tomorrow Never Dies a bad bond movie? :ohdear:

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Both are 57% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I probably wouldn't go that far myself, but compared to other Brosnan movies TND is probably my least favorite.

I totally meant to type Die Another Day, there.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think we should all just agree that Tomorrow Never Dies Another Day is the worst Brosnan movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sef! posted:

Man, this game.

I'm a huge, huge James Bond fan. So, despite the reviews, I picked up 007 Legends based largely on the fact that it was built on the foundation of the quite good Goldeneye: Reloaded. What a mistake that was. The thing that blows me away is that you have a twenty-plus movies to draw from, many of which feature set pieces that are nothing less than iconic. And not only does this game manage to cherry pick some of the weirdest movies (Die Another Day over From Russia With Love? Really? And no Dr. No at all?), it actually manages to ruin many of the scenes it does attempt to recreate (The fight at Fort Knox essentially becomes Call of Duty Lite).

Really sucks, because I think it's kind of a novel idea to try to acknowledge the previous movies as being in some sort of canon. Like, if there was any sort of logic as to how the game was laid out, you could pay homage to the classic films while also doing something new. I mean, the From Russia With Love game from a couple of gens ago goes completely batshit crazy at the end, but still works as an adaption.

It's picking one film per Bond, and honestly, each choice is pretty representative of that actor's tenure. The game, however, is bad when it could get away with bland, and bland when bad would at least be entertaining.

It's pretty amazing, as GoldenEye Reloaded was actually pretty fun.

E: Die Another Day does have one of my favourite Bond villain plans: A satellite death ray... used to blow up the minefield DMZ between the Koreas. It's amazingly dumb.)

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

It's picking one film per Bond, and honestly, each choice is pretty representative of that actor's tenure.

I get that, but Die Another Day is not like, normal bad. It's really bad. Obnoxiously, so. It's almost like someone was tasked with developing a cartoon interpretation of what a "James Bond" film should be. I get that it's in the game because Goldeneye was off the table and it has the most bombastic elements of Brosnan's run, but I honestly rather see The World Is Not Enough used for a couple of levels. You'd have the MI6 attack, the missile silo shootout, and the submarine fight with a nigh-invincible Robert Carlyle to use to your advantage.

Robert Carlyle!

Edit: and you could make more use of Judi Dench, given that she's a major part of that particular movie's plot.

Sef! fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 10, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sef! posted:

I get that, but Die Another Day is not like, normal bad. It's really bad. Obnoxiously, so. It's almost like someone was tasked with developing a cartoon interpretation of what a "James Bond" film should be. I get that it's in the game because Goldeneye was off the table and it has the most bombastic elements of Brosnan's run, but I honestly rather see The World Is Not Enough used for a couple of levels. You'd have the MI6 attack, the missile silo shootout, and the submarine fight with a nigh-invincible Robert Carlyle to use to your advantage.

Robert Carlyle!

Edit: and you could make more use of Judi Dench, given that she's a major part of that particular movie's plot.

Though TWINE (I love the acronyms that we pretty much have to use because of the title lengths) already got itself a decent FPS -- technically two because the N64 and Playstation versions were completely different games -- whereas DAD has been left in the dust. And both preceding Craig films got themselves a single Quantum of Solace video game to cover both.

I personally think the game would have been much more fun if (along with being made competently) the game had no connection to the rebooted Bond and was instead just a greatest hits compilation of moments from every Bond film. Because really, every Bond film has had content that would be great in video game format but very few of the films could handle a faithful full on adaptation.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 10, 2014

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Heh. I was just thinking a few days ago "boy I wish there was an LP of this game".

Honestly, the premise sounds really cool - seeing movies from the first four Bond actors given the same treatment as the GoldenEye remake seemed interesting. At the same time, this is somehow a Bond game, of all things, that was so bad it killed its developer and caused its publisher to give up the rights to make any more Bond games. I can't really pass up a chance to see that poo poo first-hand, but really didn't have the chance because my only other options to do so would be pirating it (and probably getting a piece of poo poo that wouldn't run on my system) or dropping $200+ I don't currently have into replacing my PS3.

As for blowing their budget on getting Judi Dench and Daniel Craig - Bond is actually a sound-alike in this game :v:

EDIT: who in the loving hell thought any of this control scheme was a good idea

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 10, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kadorhal posted:

As for blowing their budget on getting Judi Dench and Daniel Craig - Bond is actually a sound-alike in this game :v:

Yeah, I found that out not too long ago. What surprises me is that they have a sound alike, yet had Daniel Craig voice himself in the other recent James Bond games. :psyduck:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kadorhal posted:

The Craig sound-alike is Timothy Watson, who is also Goldfinger and was in several other Bind games before this, but never as the lead himself. He also did Metal Face in Xenoblade. :v: Also another fun fact: they managed to get Craig's likeness AND voice for the Goldeneye remake, which is a fact that broke Jobbo temporarily when I found out.

Edit: :argh:

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Kadorhal posted:

Holy poo poo.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sef! posted:

Holy poo poo.

They still had to pay to use his likeness.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

The Craig sound-alike is Timothy Watson, who is also Goldfinger and was in several other Bind games before this, but never as the lead himself. He also did Metal Face in Xenoblade. :v: Also another fun fact: they managed to get Craig's likeness AND voice for the Goldeneye remake, which is a fact that broke Jobbo temporarily when I found out.

Edit: :argh:

During the publicity for GoldenEye Reloaded, they pulled the usual "Oh, Daniel's a bit of a gamer, so he jumped at the chance" shtick, but I wonder if there might've been some truth, they let him play an early build of this one and he smiled, nodded, and immediately called his agent.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best Bond movie is Goldeneye and I am outta hereeeeeeeeee

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Gaz-L posted:

E: Die Another Day does have one of my favourite Bond villain plans: A satellite death ray... used to blow up the minefield DMZ between the Koreas. It's amazingly dumb.)

I haven't seen this movie in a very long time but I swear he used the destruction of the DMZ as a way to flex the might of Icarus seeing as one of the next exchanges between the villain and the Korean general was "the US will send nuclear warheads" "Icarus will swat them like flies out of the sky :geno:" so I'm preeeeeetty sure they would've used the death ray for more than just blowing up mines :v:

poo poo I'm surprised I remember that much from that movie FUUUCK

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crane Fist posted:

The best Bond movie is Goldeneye and I am outta hereeeeeeeeee

As if that's even up for debate :smuggo:

Goldeneye is and will always be the best Bond movie.

Aces High posted:

I haven't seen this movie in a very long time but I swear he used the destruction of the DMZ as a way to flex the might of Icarus seeing as one of the next exchanges between the villain and the Korean general was "the US will send nuclear warheads" "Icarus will swat them like flies out of the sky :geno:" so I'm preeeeeetty sure they would've used the death ray for more than just blowing up mines :v:

poo poo I'm surprised I remember that much from that movie FUUUCK

They actually use Icarus to shoot down ballistic missiles en-route to blow up the satellite. They never try to shoot more than 1 missile, and from opposite directions.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 02: Goldfinger - Fort Knox

The Evolution of Felix Leiter

Jack Lord

One of the best portrayals of Felix Leiter came in the first movie he was featured in, Dr. No. I've never read any of the books, but Wikipedia is quick to point out that Leiter was never part of the original story which makes his inclusion special and even though he doesn't do much in the movie, he still manages to stand out and definitely looks the part for a CIA version of Bond.

Cec Linder

Cec Linder played the version of Felix Leiter in Goldfinger and looks nothing like Jack Lord. Apparently, Jack Lord demanded more screen time and a higher pay which is why he didn't reprise his role. To me, Linder always looked out of place as Felix but I think that of about half the actors who played that character :v:.

Rik Van Nutter

For Thunderball, Felix Leiter was played by Rik Van Nutter. Felix plays a bigger part than previous iterations, directly helping to find the stolen nukes alongside James Bond. He looks the part, except for maybe being 10 years too old.

Norman Burton

Felix Leiter was played by Norman Burton in the movie Diamonds are Forever. Burton doesn't look the part at all and his character never seemed to be competent. That and, you know, it's Diamonds are Forever.

David Hedison

David Hedison was the first person to play Felix Leiter twice, although not consecutively. He first starred in Live and Let Die and returned for License to Kill. Moore and Hedison were friends, which helped him get the part as they could better work off of eachother. All in all, Hedison's a pretty good Felix Leiter.

John Terry

The most forgettable Felix Leiter was played by John Terry in a very brief appearance. I don't have anything to say about this Leiter.

Jeffrey Wright

One of the best Leiters, in my opinion, and definitely a great showing in Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace. Now excuse me while I go watch Casino Royale for the umpteenth time.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Video is set to private.

Edit: All good now

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 12, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Canopus250 posted:

Video is set to private.

My bad, thought I changed it. Fixed now.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So you're setting these plots in the Craig continuity and modern times and yet you make Leiter a white guy again. Real classy, Eurocom.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Overflight posted:

So you're setting these plots in the Craig continuity and modern times and yet you make Leiter a white guy again. Real classy, Eurocom.

I would've loved to have seen either Jack Lord or Jeffrey Wright's likeness. Demetri Goritsas (Felix in this game) is cool and all but I guess I would've preferred an established Leiter, especially since we don't see him too often.

007 Legends is very inconsistent on who's likeness they get and who's they don't. The next video will be a good example of who they managed to get.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

My question for this game is "How did Bond find a silencer for his shotgun?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

My question for this game is "How did Bond find a silencer for his shotgun?"
The most baffling 007 gadget of them all. I don't think I've ever seen that in a game.
Except, perhaps, for the Bond-proof glass that lets bullets through without breaking.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 12, 2014

• Locked thread