Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So it sounds kinda poo poo, can we use Blather as a kind of diplomacy? Or it just stalls people in nonviolent situations and makes then think we're drunk and/or retarded? Like if the now dead bone seller had tried to use it would it have helped him convince us he was legit, or just stalled us for a moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Outrail posted:

So it sounds kinda poo poo, can we use Blather as a kind of diplomacy? Or it just stalls people in nonviolent situations and makes then think we're drunk and/or retarded? Like if the now dead bone seller had tried to use it would it have helped him convince us he was legit, or just stalled us for a moment?

Its good as a distraction. You talk, and your allies/servitors move around him.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Japan Four

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Outrail posted:

Blather is filibustering, diplomacy is formal lengthy negotiations over contracts and treaties, charm is shorter discussions with people.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Voting for
Arms master (requires BS 30, basic weapon training, any two)
Basic Weapon Training (Pistol)
Pack Hunter

If I'm not mistaken we already have Pistol Training (Las)

Edit: Changed my vote to these 3 from Master Orator. Master Orator kinda sucks.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 30, 2014

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, aside from convincing people that the blithering idiot couldn't possible be responsible for the army of hybrid tyranid/demon servitors consuming the hulk I don't see much use for it.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Pistol Training (Las)

I didn't really want to take this class because I wanted to spend more of the game with intrigue rather than combat, but since that doesn't seem popular, we should take skills to improve our combat effectiveness.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm sad we aren't becoming a rigger. A pack of cyber-hounds and weaponized servo skulls sounded fun.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Obscil posted:

Pistol Training (Las)

I didn't really want to take this class because I wanted to spend more of the game with intrigue rather than combat, but since that doesn't seem popular, we should take skills to improve our combat effectiveness.

Well from what I can tell about the class, it's about killing, not combat. We can set up elaborate traps without ever having to see our victim. I say that's right up our alley when it comes to intrigue.

It was tough for me to choose, but given that we could take the murderbuddies class next, that makes for a glorious combination.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I usually don't get involved in the votes, but I do wanna point out a bit of optimization.

Your WS is your lowest score, and your BS is probably in the lowest quartile. Even worse, to advance them to simple is 250 XP, which could be a week or so worth of game time. If you are getting into a gun battle, you screwed up somewhere, at least at this stage of things. If you look through the posts, your shooting has either a) missed prone targets after you threw a grenade and fired wildly, or b) hit prone targets that had been affected by a grenade blast. A sharp shooter you are not.

Now, your new ability Cogs within Cogs allows you to manipulate Machine Spirits to a level that most people can't reach. You can put in timed delayed actions or redirect programming or other fun things. Cogs is based on Tech Use, which the next level of (+20) costs 100XP, and your Int intermediate advance costs 250XP. You do have 350XP on your character sheet.

What this means is that, option 1 might be BS simple advance, which puts it at 36%, while option 2) is Tech Use +20 and Int Intermediate for same cost, which gives you an astounding 72% on tech use skills. Which is your primary attack in the Mech-assassin model.

Not saying that tech use is your best trick, mind, but its definitely better than trying for BS or WS. You aren't a guardsman. You are a Priest of the Machine God! :awesomelon:

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

LowellDND posted:

I usually don't get involved in the votes, but I do wanna point out a bit of optimization.

Your WS is your lowest score, and your BS is probably in the lowest quartile. Even worse, to advance them to simple is 250 XP, which could be a week or so worth of game time. If you are getting into a gun battle, you screwed up somewhere, at least at this stage of things. If you look through the posts, your shooting has either a) missed prone targets after you threw a grenade and fired wildly, or b) hit prone targets that had been affected by a grenade blast. A sharp shooter you are not.

Now, your new ability Cogs within Cogs allows you to manipulate Machine Spirits to a level that most people can't reach. You can put in timed delayed actions or redirect programming or other fun things. Cogs is based on Tech Use, which the next level of (+20) costs 100XP, and your Int intermediate advance costs 250XP. You do have 350XP on your character sheet.

What this means is that, option 1 might be BS simple advance, which puts it at 36%, while option 2) is Tech Use +20 and Int Intermediate for same cost, which gives you an astounding 72% on tech use skills. Which is your primary attack in the Mech-assassin model.

Not saying that tech use is your best trick, mind, but its definitely better than trying for BS or WS. You aren't a guardsman. You are a Priest of the Machine God! :awesomelon:

Thanks for the advice. I don't really understand this system. Most of what I'm doing is based on knowledge of other systems, so things like this really help.

I'm changing my vote from this:
Pistol Training (Las)

To this:
Tech Use +20
Int Intermediate Advance

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

That does sound fantastic.

Switching from:
Blather
Search
Shadowing

To
Tech Use +20
Int Intermediate Advance

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OK, I'll guess we'll have to rely on our murderbuddies in a more indirect way.

Tech Use +20
Int Intermediate Advance

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Obscil posted:

Thanks for the advice. I don't really understand this system. Most of what I'm doing is based on knowledge of other systems, so things like this really help.

I'm changing my vote from this:
Pistol Training (Las)

To this:
Tech Use +20
Int Intermediate Advance

Changing my vote to THIS as well. Because I don't know poo poo about mechanics and just follow whoever seems more experienced.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

-cracks knuckles- Okay, the system.

Your stats are on a percentage scale. Int is 47%, whatever. What this means is that, 47% of the time, on a Challenging (+0) difficulty, you will succeed.

Depending on what you are trying to do, I will give a bonus/penalty to your roll. So, talking to people who respect you as a Tech Priest and Family, you might have an Easy challenge, or +30. So you roll your Fellowship (which is 35 or something), and your skill for this challenge is 65. With me so far?

Now, some tests, its binary success or failure. Sometimes, though, I want to see how goddamn awesome you are, and that involves degrees of success. Ie, you roll a 05, and your goal is 65, you have 6 degrees [(65-5)/10] of success. Which is goddamn amazing, you diplomat you.

Occasionally I will have opposed checks, where my monster rolls as well, and whoever has the most degrees of success wins.

In your particular build, Int and Tech Use are both super cheap to level up, so cunning plans are best when they use those. If we had done some sort of shooter, it would be easy to level up WS and BS, which the accompanying change in tactics. Follow?

Edit: In the same way, some of my mobs are just goddamn terrifying, and they might give you a -20 or -30 (or the worst, -40) to your willpower roll. You see what happened when you failed that - you failed by like 7 degrees of failure or something awful, and ended up hiding under a dump somewhere. Za'keriah, on the other hand, did even worse, going into a seizure/chew off his own tongue fugue state.

Edit twice: After a "session", I go through all the posts, see what skills were rolled and on what challenge, and give out XP. Challenging or Very Hard give more XP then Easy challenges, so if you want to optimize for getting XP, you'll do plans that have skills you are optimized for. What this means is that the system is built for you to increasingly do crazy insane over the top stunts.

Edit thrice: Which plays into how fate points work. You can "spend" them to reroll (I used all three that way in the race), and they get recovered at the end of the session. Alternately, you can "burn" them permanently, which lets you survive what would otherwise kill you. Going one on one with the creature in the last post would have probably ended in that.

Edit fourth: Now, your skills (tech use, diplomacy, whatever) play off your stats. So in our case, we would have Tech Use +20, which adds to our awesome Int 54. If you don't have a relevant skill, you don't get that nifty bonus. there might be something about a penalty for not having a relevant skill, but I haven't found it yet

Edit five: Ive found this link helpful http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?294401-Dark-Heresy-Sell-me-on-Tech-Priests

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 30, 2014

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Tech Use +20
Int Intermediate Advance

It is! Optimize away.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Tech Use +20

Int Intermediate Advance

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

paragon1 posted:

Tech Use +20

Int Intermediate Advance

Ok then.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Tech Use +20

Int Intermediate Advance

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
Tech Use +20

Int Intermediate Advance

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

FireSight posted:

Tech Use +20

Int Intermediate Advance

Sure.

Death by spirits ahoy.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Let's never shoot things again and just hack the ship to kill them. Smashy doors, firebreath suppression systems, old void fields flickering to life at the worst possible moment, grav plates making jelly of our enemies, power conduits overloading, steam vents opening on unsuspecting victims and all other manner of things that can go wrong on a ship.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Grognan posted:

Let's never shoot things again and just hack the ship to kill them. Smashy doors, firebreath suppression systems, old void fields flickering to life at the worst possible moment, grav plates making jelly of our enemies, power conduits overloading, steam vents opening on unsuspecting victims and all other manner of things that can go wrong on a ship.

We are the ship. I like it.

E: the infestation of humans may eventually become problematic I suppose.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Sogol posted:

We are Titans Child?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sogol posted:

Ill be honest, that sounds like an awesome Quest of Knowledge. You've got literally thousands of compartmentalized systems that don't talk to each other, are built over several millennia, kludged together by technicians who don't know what they are doing, and that's just the primary stem of the ship. The rest of the Space Hulk is dozens of ships of radically different languages, species, and design specs, wired together without rhyme or reason, and a command staff that is plugged into it haphazardly (and who would notice major technical changes [and kill you for breaking the strictures on AI]).

Turning that mess into an extension of your body will be the work of your lifetime.

edit: Ive got midterms and my GF's birthday this week, so pace will be a bit slower, but Im plotting hilarious things nonetheless.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Sorry if anyone's said this before (I've just caught up and only read Lowell's posts plus the last three pages)

If, then, we're trying to avoid combat as much as possible--except for grenades, of course, grenades have served us well so far and we should get more of them--we need a secure base to operate from. We don't trust our quarters right now (though, we should examine them in detail when we get the chance, simply so that we know who is spying on us, for future reference) and we'll want, I think, two things:

1) We're becoming familiar with the Shallows, and as a place of transit they're a good spot to monitor for any signs of the enemies of Humanity. We want a secluded place here, a place we can rest when we're tired, store weapons and equipment we might need to access quickly, and use as a sort of monitoring station from which to commune with the ship's Machine Spirit in safety and secrecy.

2) We'll also want a deeper storage spot, somewhere we could hide something (or someone) even from the Family if need be. We already have some knowledge of Between...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So this weekend was occupied by a surprise roommate change, so it was a lot of moving boxes in and out. Now Im fighting a Nurgle daemon of some sort, and my meds have me a bit spicy. Hoping to see the docs soon, they said they'd call me back. Either way, lets hope to have a post in the next couple days. I have something funny planned, I think you'll like it.

Meanwhile, have a Culture/40k crossover fic: http://archiveofourown.org/works/649448/chapters/1181375

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I have no idea what I'm reading. I'm not even sure if I like it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If you can manage a short delirious fever dream update...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I have no idea what I'm reading. I'm not even sure if I like it.

The Culture is basically the opposite of 40k. Several species have united harmoniously under godlike AI Minds who manage everything. Everyone has everything they need, there is no violence, and the entire civilization lives on hundred kilometer starships because terraforming is rude. They are post singularity, can read and copy every human brain on a planet, and can use nanotechnology (or smaller) to make any object of any size almost instantly. The question of the linked fic is, what happens when they meet 40k?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Something to get back into the swing of things. Character sheet updated as per vote.

EVERYONE!!!!

“Milady? Are you alright?” The voice is tinny, distant. You lick dry lips, try to reply. Try again.
“Omega.”

There is silence on the other end, and then all the lights in your view dim to crimson. Indeed, every light on the ship dims to red. Under no training circumstances was that passcode said, nor was it ever said fraudulently. The penalties for a lie of that nature were …. severe.

Omega. Warp Incursion at my location.

Distantly, you knew, every non-essential person on the ship was returning to their homes. Food was left at it’s place, animals ignored, sports canceled, everyone exited the Grateful Burden, combat between mortal enemies stopped. Impeding a response team to Omega was a fate worse than death, and you knew that across the ship, a quarter million people were quietly praying for protection to the God-Emperor, the Saviour of Mankind. In the worst imaginable cases, there might be multiple Omegas, and most ships that happened to died.

Distantly, you could hear additional Geller fields being raised and activated. Usually an unnecessary precaution and drain on the ship, the many individual and compartmentalized hulls that made up the Space Hulk bringing up their independent defenses. They produced boundary lines of real-space, through which the Warp could not pass and survive. Ideally, this would contain the Warp creature to this section of the ship… trapped in with you.

Distantly, you could hear the march of troops. All units that could get to this location, would, with the most senior person on scene saying if more troops were needed or not. However, friendly fire was viewed as more acceptable than Warp Incursion, so the ship’s policy was to err on the side of caution. With an effort, you can hear units make contact… the screams are distant and nearly inaudible, but seem all the louder for sudden quietness aboard ship.

Weakly, you smile at Megabite, trying to seek comfort in her presence. Her doggy face seems to smile back, even if she is hunkered down, submissively low to the ground, trying to become invisible to anything outside the debris mound. You probably look similar, given the circumstances. The screams have stopped, and all you can hear now are your breathing, and Megabite’s. And… a faint hissing.

Concealing a shudder, your internal fluids suddenly accelerating through your body, you lick your lips, slowly look to the sound. A large circle of superheated metal is forming on the wall, looking to all the world as if it were some sort of mining device. With a resounding CLANG, the meters wide circle is blasted away, spreading a massive cloud of smoke and superheated chemicals and steam. Focusing your mechanical eyes, you stare through the mist, observing a figure three meters high, flailing and tentacled. The figure steps into the courtyard, pushing aside debris effortlessly with their massive legs, and the form becomes clear. The Magos.

They stood in all their terrible majesty, combat servitors and specialized troops from the Forge World already filing in behind them. The Magos’ entire right side had been replaced by Hurricane Bolters, and every mechadendrite waved a plasma cannon or melta gun angrily. The holy language of the Machine-God tore through the air almost faster than you could understand it, and the Forge World troops deployed accordingly.

Even as they secured the chamber, other forces came in from the corridors you had passed through. Companies of mercenaries, wielding ad hoc weapons of varying cheapness. Your own House Troops, the Greycloaks, with drawn and active Powerswords or Flamers. The High Priest, chanting loudly in a high pitched voice, surrounded by missionaries and barely restrained flagellants.

And with a crack of dispersing air, the Lord-Sire, teleporting into the center of the room, wearing the Relic of his Rank and Purpose, a full suit of Power Armor, ancient and revered. Absently, you identify it as an Assault Centurion Model, worth more than some worlds. Your Lord Sire would surrender half the Family before even considering trading that Relic, and would be right in doing so. It is covered in blood and ichor, and your brain begins to process the Sacred Binary that is transmitting through the air.

<Contact made with Mercenary Company Walker’s Walkers. 100% casualties>
<Contact dispersed, contact dispersed. Lord Sire has been deployed to the anomaly>
<Are there any other sightings? Or was it just the one?>
<Only one observed at this time, the Lord Sire dispersed it.>
<The eternal death?>
<Unlikely, there were no Priests present. Similar reports suggest it can return if summoned.>

Lord-Sire turns to look at you, his voice transmitted through massive speakers built into the Armor. “Ohone. Congratulations on your survival. How did a Warp Creature get aboard my Ship?”

-

Okay, you *can* lie to him, and he’s expecting at least some lies, as any decent player of the Games would frame this to their advantage. He is better than you, though, so he will see through any lies, but is willing to play along with them. Just remember that if a somewhat plausible lie is found out, you’ll get punished twice. One for lying, and once for getting caught.

So… How do you want to frame this?

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
I say that we say that the serial killing cases that whats his face (the psyker rival) supposedly investigated were probably caused by a cult dedicated to that thing. You suspect that he may have purposefully tried to cover up the killings because he might be involved with this cult.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
We can say that we observed possible cult activity while doing routine checks of vidcasters in the area. Make up some technobabble that sounds plausible. Then the investigstions, the merchant, the fight with the cultists and then that creature of the Warp.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Keep it simple:
Serial killer case sounds not quite as closed as it's made to be.
Routinely interrogating that lowly corpse taker gets us at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Use our conversation skills to give the unstated impression we mostly came to dig dirt on our rivals.

Edit: Remember, Lord-sire expects at least some hidden maneuvering.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Obscil posted:

I say that we say that the serial killing cases that whats his face (the psyker rival) supposedly investigated were probably caused by a cult dedicated to that thing. You suspect that he may have purposefully tried to cover up the killings because he might be involved with this cult.

Not quite. If we say that we originally suspected a cult, and didn't convey this to the heads of the family, we'd end up in some deep poo poo.

Answer: (The main points, the whole answer to be formed by LDND depending on our rolls)
We (now) believe a cult was aboard the ship for the purpose of summoning and/or feeding that thing. After interrogating a false relic merchant, and seeing the butchered corpses the merchant was harvesting, we realized that we ran into something extremely dangerous. He confessed that he was dealing in false relics, and that many people were forced to remain silent about ongoing murders after our cousin killed the suspect. We stayed to see who the real culprit was, and saw that thing followed by a number of fake servitors. We fought them off to the best of our abilities, and warned the family of this terrible danger as soon as we got the chance to.

As for how we stumbled into this mess, well... We ran into a group of madmen that tried to kill us (those fuckers called us an Iron Man) thinking we were after some relic of theirs. A line of inquiry led us to the false relic merchant in this building.

As for why we ran into the madmen in the first place, we should sigh, and confess that we were suspicious about the murder investigation and decided to do some snooping on our own, hoping to gain favor with the liege and benefit the family if our suspicions prove true. (As far as I'm aware this is the truth, just not the whole truth)

If we're pressed about that thing trying to influence us, we'll admit that it tried, but our faith in the Omnissiah kept us strong, and our shots gave the thing and its lackeys a loud NO.
End of answer

We should try to frame this the way that benefits us the most, and let him draw the conclusions.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Obviously we don't know how it got onboard. We had rumor of a bunch of anti-technology zealots stirring up trouble, and came to deal with them, but that put you in the path of stuff that led you here.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Let's not try to appear to clever and claim to have all the answers, Important people like to draw our own conclusions.
We definitely should convey our emotions about that Thing though, It will help sympathize.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

my dad posted:

Not quite. If we say that we originally suspected a cult, and didn't convey this to the heads of the family, we'd end up in some deep poo poo.

Answer: (The main points, the whole answer to be formed by LDND depending on our rolls)
We (now) believe a cult was aboard the ship for the purpose of summoning and/or feeding that thing. After interrogating a false relic merchant, and seeing the butchered corpses the merchant was harvesting, we realized that we ran into something extremely dangerous. He confessed that he was dealing in false relics, and that many people were forced to remain silent about ongoing murders after our cousin killed the suspect. We stayed to see who the real culprit was, and saw that thing followed by a number of fake servitors. We fought them off to the best of our abilities, and warned the family of this terrible danger as soon as we got the chance to.

As for how we stumbled into this mess, well... We ran into a group of madmen that tried to kill us (those fuckers called us an Iron Man) thinking we were after some relic of theirs. A line of inquiry led us to the false relic merchant in this building.

As for why we ran into the madmen in the first place, we should sigh, and confess that we were suspicious about the murder investigation and decided to do some snooping on our own, hoping to gain favor with the liege and benefit the family if our suspicions prove true. (As far as I'm aware this is the truth, just not the whole truth)

If we're pressed about that thing trying to influence us, we'll admit that it tried, but our faith in the Omnissiah kept us strong, and our shots gave the thing and its lackeys a loud NO.
End of answer

We should try to frame this the way that benefits us the most, and let him draw the conclusions.

I like this. Sufficient rear end covering, sparks of truth and still throwing whats-his-name under the bus.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FireSight posted:

Obviously we don't know how it got onboard. We had rumor of a bunch of anti-technology zealots stirring up trouble, and came to deal with them, but that put you in the path of stuff that led you here.

I find lies are best when kept as close to the truth as possible.

We came down here to deal with a quarrelsome machine spirit in one of the blast doors. Upon investigating its logs to see what the problem was, we found evidence of group of people in purple robes tampering with the doors for some presumably nefarious purpose. Tracking them down we were attacked and blasphemed and after dealing with the grave insult, tracked their activities here. Then the demonhost came. From where, we do not know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Azhais posted:

I find lies are best when kept as close to the truth as possible.

We came down here to deal with a quarrelsome machine spirit in one of the blast doors. Upon investigating its logs to see what the problem was, we found evidence of group of people in purple robes tampering with the doors for some presumably nefarious purpose. Tracking them down we were attacked and blasphemed and after dealing with the grave insult, tracked their activities here. Then the demonhost came. From where, we do not know.

Stick with what is verifiable. We accessed the local machine spirits, observed everything, hunted down a bunch of religious zealots who called us an Iron Man, killed some, and sent the rest to become servitors. Their talk of a relic had us hunt down a relic merchant because *mumble mumble mumble*, and upon finding him, found this scene of carnage, which led to the discovery of the warp incursion.