Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Why didn't mance just have the thenns hold the top of the wall while hundreds of wildlings climbed up after them, then walked along the wall to castle black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Iggles posted:

Why didn't mance just have the thenns hold the top of the wall while hundreds of wildlings climbed up after them, then walked along the wall to castle black?

Drama

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Iggles posted:

Also choke point issues...it's narrow and there's nowhere to go and the crows did patrol at least some of the wall...once they were outed it's not hard to set up a few ballistas and play impale the then.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

Also choke point issues...it's narrow and there's nowhere to go and the crows did patrol at least some of the wall...once they were outed it's not hard to set up a few ballistas and play impale the then.

I could opine on the rate of fire of a ballista, that number's relation to the multitudes of wildlings and the accuracy of medieval technology shooting at man-sized targets 400 feet in the air, but then I remember that GM is an Absolute Fucker.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

AtAt-de-fay posted:

I could opine on the rate of fire of a ballista, that number's relation to the multitudes of wildlings and the accuracy of medieval technology shooting at man-sized targets 400 feet in the air, but then I remember that GM is an Absolute Fucker.

I imagine there would already be large weapons on top of the wall. But your later point stands. He is indeed a fucker.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Mance had giants that he did nothing with. Giants. Creatures that could probably swing a 2-300 pound mattock.

I get that the wall is ~magical ice~ but unless Mance actually thought that digging a hole would mean the Others could get through too even if they sealed it, the only reason he wouldn't do this is because:

A. He's retarded.
B. Martin is an absolute fucker.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
why didn't they just go around it again? I mean isn't there some point where you can just hop on a small boat and sail the 500 feet around the loving thing?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
This is addressed in the books. Mance gambled on a quick decisive victory because he knew that any kind of protracted siege or maneuvering would allow the Others to kill more of his people.

quote:

Mance ran a hand along the curve of the great horn. “No man goes hunting with only one arrow in his quiver,” he said. “I had hoped that Styr and Jarl would take your brothers unawares, and open the gate for us. I drew your garrison away with feints and raids and secondary attacks. Bowen Marsh swallowed that lure as I knew he would, but your band of cripples and orphans proved to be more stubborn than anticipated. Don’t think you’ve stopped us, though. The truth is, you are too few and we are too many. I could continue the attack here and still send ten thousand men to cross the Bay of Seals on rafts and take Eastwatch from the rear. I could storm the Shadow Tower too, I know the approaches as well as any man alive. I could send men and mammoths to dig out the gates at the castles you’ve abandoned, all of them at once.”
“Why don’t you, then?” Jon could have drawn Longclaw then, but he wanted to hear what the wildling had to say.
“Blood,” said Mance Rayder. “I’d win in the end, yes, but you’d bleed me, and my people have bled enough.”
“Your losses haven’t been that heavy.”
“Not at your hands.” Mance studied Jon’s face. “You saw the Fist of the First Men. You know what happened there. You know what we are facing.”
“The Others . . .”
“They grow stronger as the days grow shorter and the nights colder. First they kill you, then they send your dead against you. The giants have not been able to stand against them, nor the Thenns, the ice river clans, the Hornfoots.”
“Nor you?”
“Nor me.” There was anger in that admission, and bitterness too deep for words. “Raymun Redbeard, Bael the Bard, Gendel and Gorne, the
Horned Lord, they all came south to conquer, but I’ve come with my tail between my legs to hide behind your Wall.”

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
e: Nevermind. He's got text.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

In It For The Tank posted:

This is addressed in the books. Mance gambled on a quick decisive victory because he knew that any kind of protracted siege or maneuvering would allow the Others to kill more of his people.

then why did he attack the gate in the first place?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
... because he wanted a quick decisive victory where he overpowered the "cripples and orphans" defending Castle Black.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

... because he wanted a quick decisive victory where he overpowered the "cripples and orphans" defending Castle Black.

I think his logic for not going around the wall was poo poo. I'm pretty loving confident that they could have marched their merry little troop the whole way and just moved right into castle black from the northern side.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

They did send a troop around, it was beaten at the Bridge of Skulls which for some reason happened entirely off-focus and was briefly told to Jon in like two sentences.

Meanwhile, twenty chapters of Arya walking in circles.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

And sending giants to an abandoned castle a few weeks earlier, like when Jon climbed the wall with the wildlings, is more than his apparently otherwise sharp mind could consider. The reasons Mance gives seems almost like a GURM cop-out. He could've overrun the bay of seals and then Castle Black with those forces to open the gate but he instead sends a crow he just recently met to help a small band maybe take Castle Black.

Mance is an idiot. But we won't see any more of it because no more books are going to come out.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

They did send a troop around, it was beaten at the Bridge of Skulls which for some reason happened entirely off-focus and was briefly told to Jon in like two sentences.

Meanwhile, twenty chapters of Arya walking in circles.

will take 20 chapters of arya walking around in circles all angry and sociopathlike over 20 chapters of bran being bran any day of the week.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

ActusRhesus posted:

I imagine there would already be large weapons on top of the wall. But your later point stands. He is indeed a fucker.

But remember these castles were terribly unmanned and no one cared about the wall for years. I imagine the weapons are beyond disrepair, if there are any, and if they aren't what are the chances they have ammunition for them? Or anyone knows how to operate them.

Also GRRM is an absolute fucker.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hunky Joe posted:

But remember these castles were terribly unmanned and no one cared about the wall for years. I imagine the weapons are beyond disrepair, if there are any, and if they aren't what are the chances they have ammunition for them? Or anyone knows how to operate them.

Also GRRM is an absolute fucker.

Your last sentence is pretty much all that needs to be said.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I don't suppose he's said anything, anything at all about the next book?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Elman posted:

other than the released chapters and a lot of "gently caress you it will be finished when it's finished"? No.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Elman posted:

I just checked his website yesterday and the last update for Winds of Winter was a sample chapter from January 2013 :(

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

p.crestmont posted:

I just checked his website yesterday and the last update for Winds of Winter was a sample chapter from January 2013 :(

I wish he'd release more. Every sample chapter from WoW so far has been incredible

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

p.crestmont posted:

He probably hasn't had time to, since he's so busy writing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

various cheeses posted:

Writing all those :fuckoff: replies to fan mail takes time.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I cant english sometimes

kcroy fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 14, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

various cheeses posted:

He's contracted out the GoT writers room to finish the books for him. They alternate between writing a show episode and writing a book chapter while he just sits in a corner watching them, breathing heavily. :ssh:

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

He's contracted out the GoT writers room to finish the books for him. They alternate between writing a show episode and writing a book chapter while he just sits in a corner watching them, breathing heavily. :ssh:

They shouldn't have any problems with elaborate food descriptions with GURM serving as Pickman's Model.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So I have a quick question. I read A Game of Thrones, and really enjoyed it, but petered out on A Clash of Kings, and never picked it back up. I began to hear spoilers from the show just from cultural osmosis, and just decided to not even bother with it, as good as the first book was. Recently, I was discussing this with a friend who told me she thought that was for the best, because she believed the books were bloated, with little progression and the series never went further than the depth of the first book. To her, the TV show is better, simply because it has the editing and isn't as much of a time commitment. This all said, I hear such good things about the series, I often get tempted to try to get back in. So, given the major spoilers (The Red Wedding, Joffrey's death, etc) I have heard, and my apprehension, is this series still ultimately as good as people say? Is it worth the enormous time commitment?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So I have a quick question. I read A Game of Thrones, and really enjoyed it, but petered out on A Clash of Kings, and never picked it back up. I began to hear spoilers from the show just from cultural osmosis, and just decided to not even bother with it, as good as the first book was. Recently, I was discussing this with a friend who told me she thought that was for the best, because she believed the books were bloated, with little progression and the series never went further than the depth of the first book. To her, the TV show is better, simply because it has the editing and isn't as much of a time commitment. This all said, I hear such good things about the series, I often get tempted to try to get back in. So, given the major spoilers (The Red Wedding, Joffrey's death, etc) I have heard, and my apprehension, is this series still ultimately as good as people say? Is it worth the enormous time commitment?

Yes, but only for Strong Belwas.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
im pretty sure i can read the first three books in under forty hours but maybe im just a big fucker nerd who reads too fast

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is it worth the enormous time commitment?

Finishing the series is better than nothing, but not by much. If you have literally anything else to do with your time don't bother. But while taking a dump or waiting for a relative to get out of surgery then go to town.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
If you are going to read or you enjoy fantasy fiction you could do a lot worse than these books and should give them another go. Particularly as Clash being slow is a common complaint and the third is most lauded. If you enjoyed GoT it's more than likely you'll enjoy Storm.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
By the time I read CoK I was happy that it was moving so slow...I didn't want it to end because I knew it would be a while before I could pick up the next one and I was happy that more and more story was being crunched in before the big finale I knew was coming.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is it worth the enormous time commitment?

The time spent reading the books will seem like a blink of an eye compared to the time spent waiting for new books to come out.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

kcroy posted:

congratz on 9 years of suffering!

This is really one of the most magnificent things. The detail and cross hatching are awesome - who posted that originally? How much time did it take?

I mean look at this detail

It was forums user geno1173 who made it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hiro Protagonist posted:

pirate the audio books and listen them while exercising, doing chores and driving to work

Full-Bodied Flavor
Jan 8, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

it's worth reading up to the 3rd book atleast. you can just stop after that one and not miss out on much other than a gratuitous amount of food descriptions.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Full-Bodied Flavor posted:

it's worth reading up to the 3rd book atleast. you can just stop after that one and not miss out on much other than a gratuitous amount of many and more food descriptions.

They could skip the food descriptions except for the Manderly sections because Manderly owns

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

kcroy posted:

The time spent reading the books will seem like a blink of an eye compared to the time spent waiting for new books to come out.

Considering the series is only like 4.5k pages, reading the whole series should only take something like 30-40 hours.
The TV series is something like 45 hrs at the moment? And each audio book is between 30-40h.
Meanwhile it has been 100k+ hours since aCoC came out and we still haven't seen the end of Feast.

Also reading Wikipedia on ASOIAF I realize that GRRM implemented not 1 but 2 5 year jumps in the series. Just not in the storyline.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anders posted:

It was forums user geno1173 who made it.

Hrm, is that user still around? I don't have the fancy pants subscription that lets me do things like look up users or PM or archives or whatever.

Cardiac posted:

Also reading Wikipedia on ASOIAF I realize that GRRM implemented not 1 but 2 5 year jumps in the series. Just not in the storyline.

What do you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

kcroy posted:

What do you mean?

Two five-year gaps between books being published, presumably.