Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Len posted:

Hasn't that been in every SSB?

I never played the first one and it's been ages since melee so I really can't remember. I also basically skipped brawl. All I know is that it's adorable.

E: new page content, the Villager in the same game has a final smash that consists of the Nook family building a house around and opponent that proceeds to explode upon completion :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you've played Smash Bros. at all and Kirby's taunt isn't seared into your memory from constant use, you and your buddies haven't been doing it right, sorry.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Captain Lavender posted:

I have trouble doing precise little hops when I'm high up and trying to be stealthy, but yeah overall it's really good. I particularly appreciate how MANY surfaces he can climb. I remember AC: Brotherhood, and I just hated the cliff faces, most of which you couldn't really climb, that you'd have to go WAY out of your way to get around. It's also great how fast Talion climbs, without having to learn a new climbing move 2/3 through the game (ahem AC2).

Also, choosing not to implement fall damage was a fantastic and hugely fun-enhancing decision.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Moacher posted:

Also, choosing not to implement fall damage was a fantastic and hugely fun-enhancing decision.

Oh god, yes.

Shadow of Mordor is going right next to Halo for my examples of why games being derivative isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
This thread convinced me to get Shadow of Mordor. I, too, am loving the nemesis system.

One of my current nemeses is a captain with the nickname "The Whiner." When I happened to bump into him while doing an Outcast side mission, he complained about it, in a whining tone, even. "Now I'm gonna have to kill you! Then I'm gonna have to drag your body to show everyone!"

One of the others, I haven't yet encountered, but his nickname is "Plague Bringer," and he looks appropriately lumpy and diseased to boot.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arx Monolith posted:

He jumps what.. 12 feet in the air to grab the side of a flat clifface? Dude's a superhuman.

Well, yes, he is literally half ghost-elf.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you've played Smash Bros. at all and Kirby's taunt isn't seared into your memory from constant use, you and your buddies haven't been doing it right, sorry.

Sadly Kirby's tone as he says "HIIIIII" is nowhere near as infuriatingly insulting in the new 3DS game.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sadly Kirby's tone as he says "HIIIIII" is nowhere near as infuriatingly insulting in the new 3DS game.

I changed a less-than-tech-savvy friend's text message tone to Kirby's "HIIIIII." He ended up taking it into the store to get it fixed.

Which then got him Jigglypuff's singing.

I have no regrets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PJOmega posted:

I changed a less-than-tech-savvy friend's text message tone to Kirby's "HIIIIII." He ended up taking it into the store to get it fixed.

Which then got him Jigglypuff's singing.

I have no regrets.

What's really disappointing is that Kirby now always faces the screen to do it. He used to face back or forward depending on if he was facing left or right. Nothing better than waving as they fade off into the distance :allears:.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

My Lovely Horse posted:

My favorite part about this: In every Smash, it's always been a different voice clip for Kirby's 'hiiii!' The same goes for Ness' voice clips; they could recycle and nobody would mind, but they've recorded different 'hiiii!' and 'PK Fire/PK Thunder!' clips for four games straight.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The pitch changes for the smaller and larger Kirby taunts in SSBM were wonderful.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Cleretic posted:

My favorite part about this: In every Smash, it's always been a different voice clip for Kirby's 'hiiii!' The same goes for Ness' voice clips; they could recycle and nobody would mind, but they've recorded different 'hiiii!' and 'PK Fire/PK Thunder!' clips for four games straight.

I generally love that they do this, and I really like Kirby's recent clip, but I'm definitely disappointed that Dedede's new voice is just weird monster-y grunts rather than Sakurai making doofy Dedede noises. Also Fox's new voice is miserable, like holy poo poo how did this person ever find voice work bad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Heavy Lobster posted:

I generally love that they do this, and I really like Kirby's recent clip, but I'm definitely disappointed that Dedede's new voice is just weird monster-y grunts rather than Sakurai making doofy Dedede noises. Also Fox's new voice is miserable, like holy poo poo how did this person ever find voice work bad.

Fox's 'new' voice is actually his old voice; that's the original Starfox 64 voice actor, that they brought back for Starfox 64 DS. He's passable enough at straight, calm lines, but he has issues with sounding good when putting forward the energy required of a Smash Bros game. Falco's voice actor, also his original from 64, generally does better.

There are some exceptions to their no-recycling in Smash 4, sadly; I'm not sure how many there are, but Zero Suit Samus has the same VA, which is especially weird since everything else about her was revamped.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Cleretic posted:

Fox's 'new' voice is actually his old voice; that's the original Starfox 64 voice actor, that they brought back for Starfox 64 DS. He's passable enough at straight, calm lines, but he has issues with sounding good when putting forward the energy required of a Smash Bros game. Falco's voice actor, also his original from 64, generally does better.

There are some exceptions to their no-recycling in Smash 4, sadly; I'm not sure how many there are, but Zero Suit Samus has the same VA, which is especially weird since everything else about her was revamped.

Did he forget the voice he used for Fox back in the 64 version? Cause the one in S4 is way more nasally than that one ever was, although I haven't played the DS remake so I can't say if he did just decide to go full insufferable.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In The Last of Us you're often being subtly guided by environmental signs that might say ONE WAY or EXIT. At one point you're trying to escape an area and have to go through a building, and once you unblock the entrance an EXIT sign stares you in the face, that sort of thing. (Granted, it could be I'm giving the environmental design too much credit, since you are looking for one literal exit or another most of the time, but I think it's deliberate.)

In the final sequence, you're escaping from a hospital and run through an ophthalmologist's office where the eye chart spells out RUN YOU ARE ALMOST AT THE DOOR.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Heavy Lobster posted:

Did he forget the voice he used for Fox back in the 64 version? Cause the one in S4 is way more nasally than that one ever was, although I haven't played the DS remake so I can't say if he did just decide to go full insufferable.

I'd say it's probably down to the massive gap between Starfox 64 and the 3DS/SSB4 versions so his voice had probably changed a lot since then.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Tesla posted:

I'd say it's probably down to the massive gap between Starfox 64 and the 3DS/SSB4 versions so his voice had probably changed a lot since then.

Not to mention that the original recording equipment was probably crap and distorted his voice a bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Even if you're not spamming it because it's funny, it's how you shed powers in the game so you have to use it a bunch.

Except when someone plays Captain Falcon, since you want Falcon Punch 24/7.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Aphrodite posted:

Even if you're not spamming it because it's funny, it's how you shed powers in the game so you have to use it a bunch.

Except when someone plays Captain Falcon, since you want Falcon Punch 24/7.
The best thing I remember about Brawling with friends was playing Captain Falcon and learning that if you time it correctly, you can start the wind-up for Falcon Punch and then swap the direction you're facing mid-move. Ganondorf could do it as well, it was the best way to make people quit. :allears:

I also loved Kirby in Melee and Brawl, he's one of those characters that beginners to the game can pick up relatively easily it seems.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Captain Falcon's knee.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

QuietLion posted:

The best thing I remember about Brawling with friends was playing Captain Falcon and learning that if you time it correctly, you can start the wind-up for Falcon Punch and then swap the direction you're facing mid-move. Ganondorf could do it as well, it was the best way to make people quit. :allears:

I also loved Kirby in Melee and Brawl, he's one of those characters that beginners to the game can pick up relatively easily it seems.

According to the loading screen tips on the 3DS, the turnaround Falcon Punch actually does more damage than regular.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Judge Tesla posted:

His voice is a little shakier now in the 3D recordings, but it's still fairly stable. It's probably just the Smash environment that he can't handle; Starfox 64's lines were all pretty neutral, calm sentences unless you're getting shot down, but in Smash he's yelling short clips in the middle of a fight. It's very different, and it's entirely possible that he just didn't quite get a handle on it.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I actually like Fox and Falco's new voices better. :ohdear:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Ryoshi posted:

Gamebryo is also used in both Rocksmith games. Anyone who claims the issues with Elder Scrolls/Fallout games stem from the Gamebryo engine are just missing the point entirely.

Eh, it's a colloquial term. When we say that something is a "steaming pile of Gamebryo", everyone is on the same page. It'd be less unfair towards the developer if we said "steaming pile of Bethesda" instead, but them's the breaks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Everybody posted:

Shadow of Mordor is really good

Well, poo poo. I think I have to buy this now.

How well does it perform on older machines (compared to, say, Black Flag)? My laptop's specs: Core i5-3230M 2.6GHz, Radeon HD 7670A, 6GB RAM.

I'd rather not have to buy a new gaming rig for one game...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LoonShia posted:

How well does it perform on older machines (compared to, say, Black Flag)? My laptop's specs: Core i5-3230M 2.6GHz, Radeon HD 7670A, 6GB RAM.

I think your video card might be a problem here. People got it running on some pretty poo poo computers but laptop video cards tend to be pretty awful. How is black flag running?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If I reduce all the graphical settings to Garbage, I get maybe 5 FPS.

And my graphics card is welded to the motherboard, so I'm SOL.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

LoonShia posted:

My video card is almost as old and it ran fine. Ugly though.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
My favourite thing about Shadows of Mordor so far is how customisable the "boss" fights are as to difficulty. You can take out a warchief's bodyguards so they don't unexpectedly turn up while you're fighting them, and also get information on their bonuses and maluses. But on the other hand, you can use the lesser bosses to send death threats to them, in which case when you trigger them they bring along a group of special enemies for you to have to deal with as well.

What could be a fight against a guy that ends in two seconds when you stealth/snipe them in one movement could be a twenty minute battle of you fighting off the boss, his special goons, the usual troops, plus one or two subbosses into the bargain.

Plus there's unexpected battles. I just found a random captain on my way to a story mission, decided I might as well take him out, only for three other captains to decide this was definitely the very best time to come and ambush me, two of them death threated.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I still play Forza 4 because I'm a sucker for racing sims, and I noticed the other night while playing that if you are using the cockpit view on most standard road cars, the dashboard clock will use system time. It's something I barely noticed until doing a series of races in the same car and noticing that the numbers were changing every time. Checked my phone at the start and yep, it uses the right time on the dash clock. Such a tiny detail but pretty cool.

It might not be a small thing since that's the entire point of a racing/driving sim, but every time I pull out Forza 4 I can tell that the team took some insane level of care with each car. They appear to be recreated down to the stitching on the seats and it just blows my mind every time. I have to pull myself back from buying an XbOne because the only thing I'd use it for would be Forza 5 and Horizon 2.

I'm easily impressed, is what I'm saying.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
I just met a captain in Shadows of Mordor who didn't say anything. We crossed swords, and he just stared intensely at Talion for five or six seconds and then clicked his teeth together at him. Very unexpected and cool.

That, and I managed to guide a level 20 captain into a warchief spot whose name was Durok the Brain-Damaged. He's very bad at making sentences. Love that little guy.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

heckyeahpathy posted:

I just met a captain in Shadows of Mordor who didn't say anything. We crossed swords, and he just stared intensely at Talion for five or six seconds and then clicked his teeth together at him. Very unexpected and cool.

That, and I managed to guide a level 20 captain into a warchief spot whose name was Durok the Brain-Damaged. He's very bad at making sentences. Love that little guy.

I think I had that same guy. One of my favorites was "(Name) the Friendly". When we met, he said, "I've no hate in my heart. So if you throw down them weapons, we can stop this fight altogether!" Of course I couldn't, and we fought. I died, and he was pretty cordial about it.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 11:09 on Oct 11, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

I think I had that same guy. One of my favorites was "(Name) the Friendly". When me met, he said, "I've no hate in my heart. So if you throw down them weapons, we can stop this fight altogether!" Of course I couldn't, and we fought. I died, and he was pretty cordial about it.

Get him to Warchief. Something amazing about having a Warchief be a pacifist.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Get him to Warchief. Something amazing about having a Warchief be a pacifist.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Art imitating life, Shadows of Mordor delivers on the hard-hitting political commentary. :golfclap:

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
After seeing many references for it and having a friend of mine recommend it, I picked up and started Persona 3 FES. I've played many video games that are from Japanese developers that have a setting in Japan but when the localization team gets ahold of it to translate it into an American/English friendly game a lot of settings, locations, and even cultures/customs get changed to relate more to an American audience. The Phoenix Wright series is a big offender of this and it makes it just seem off.

Not Persona 3, this game is Japanese and anime as all hell. Obviously the game is English translated but a lot of the naming mannerisms, currency, culture, and environments seem quite Japan. I'm not too into anime/otaku (says the SA account user), but I really appreciate this detail because it helps with :qq: MY IMMERSION :qq:

:japan:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Edward_Lapine posted:

After seeing many references for it and having a friend of mine recommend it, I picked up and started Persona 3 FES. I've played many video games that are from Japanese developers that have a setting in Japan but when the localization team gets ahold of it to translate it into an American/English friendly game a lot of settings, locations, and even cultures/customs get changed to relate more to an American audience. The Phoenix Wright series is a big offender of this and it makes it just seem off.

Not Persona 3, this game is Japanese and anime as all hell. Obviously the game is English translated but a lot of the naming mannerisms, currency, culture, and environments seem quite Japan. I'm not too into anime/otaku (says the SA account user), but I really appreciate this detail because it helps with :qq: MY IMMERSION :qq:

This is probably because Atlus' first attempt at localization, the very first Persona title, actually did try to localize the whole thing into an American setting (and it was just as Japanese as the later Persona games, just for the record).

Not only did they fail miserably at that, but it took so long for them to try that they didn't even finish translating/localizing the whole game. They cut a very substantial sidequest from the American release, that probably amounted to a quarter to a third of the game, because they just didn't have time to tackle it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Edward_Lapine posted:

Man, goons aren't going to bust through your door and bite you even if you enjoy something Japanese or write "immersion" normally.

It's okay to like things, there's no need to try so hard.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I will, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

scarycave posted:

Captain Falcon's knee.

We nicknamed it the Knee of Justice and decided that he was always so twitchy from his constant need to dispense justice.