Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Are bears now the only enemy in the game that will flee naturally?

What have you got against bears that you must paint them so as cowardly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Oh man, I just suddenly remembered an ancient version of Crawl where most enemies fled when on low health. That made playing ^1 characters such a pain in the rear end, you had to corner them so they'd turn around and fight you.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Haha the Shatter Icon is broken xD

Awesome lil touch.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Brannock posted:

Oh man, I just suddenly remembered an ancient version of Crawl where most enemies fled when on low health. That made playing ^1 characters such a pain in the rear end, you had to corner them so they'd turn around and fight you.

yep! it was terrible!

scalded schlong posted:

Are bears now the only enemy in the game that will flee naturally?

What have you got against bears that you must paint them so as cowardly?

believe so, yeah. iirc, they got their "berserk when fleeing" mechanic shortly before everything else lost the "fleeing" mechanic; it was originally intended to paint them as more aggressive than most enemies... but then they kept the mechanic (since it was kind of unique & distinctive), so now they do end up looking kind of cowardly!

poor bears!

(pro tip: use ?fear on bears for Exciting Times.)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Realistically, wild animals will flee when injured. Gameplay-wise, everything should fight to the death. I like the bears though. Mixes it up. I've had them pull me into something more dangerous and then turn around all roided out to fight with their new buddy.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Got my first Demigod win, as well as my first Transmuter win!

code:
2056312 Floodkiller the Grand Master (level 27, 484/484 HPs)
             Began as a Demigod Transmuter on Sept 30, 2014.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Oct 11, 2014!

The game lasted 06:40:43 (95386 turns).

Floodkiller the Grand Master (Demigod Transmuter)  Turns: 95386, Time: 06:40:43

Health: 484/484    AC: 31    Str: 28    XL:     27
Magic:  43/44      EV: 41    Int: 17    God:    
Gold:   9600       SH:  0    Dex: 30    Spells: 10 memorised, 4 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis +       - Unarmed
rCold  + + .     Rnd*Rage +     a - melded +0 ring mail of Zin's Vengeance {+Inv rF++ rN+ MR++}
rNeg   + + .     SustAb   .     (no shield)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     o - +2 hat of the Bear Spirit {Spirit, +Rage rN+ MR++}
rElec  +         Spirit   +     I - +2 cloak
rCorr  +         Warding  .     s - melded +2 pair of gloves "Shrougoxe" {rPois rN+}
rMut   .         Stasis   .     c - melded +2 pair of boots {Stlth+}
MR     ++++.                    E - amulet of Vitality {HP+15 Regen}
Stlth  ..........               G - ring of see invisible
                                C - +6 ring of protection

@: mighty, agile, berserking, statue-form, resistant, very slightly
contaminated, hasted, deflect missiles, invisible, incredibly resistant to
hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: berserk 1, blink 1, blurry vision 1, cold resistance 1, poison resistance,
screaming 1, placid magic 2
a: End Transformation, Blink, Evoke Berserk Rage
0: Orb of Zot
}: 4/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, silver, [b]golden[/b]
I managed to get a +5 ring of protection early, as well as a +6 ring of protection in Orc, which made early game transmuting much easier. I also ended up getting the golden rune for my third rune because I wanted to get Haste castable, and what better way than to use Statue Form to punch a bunch of greater mummies to death. It actually made Tomb somewhat tolerable!

As for new content, I really love Demigods being able to assign their stats now; it meant I was able to shaft Int for early Dex, then strength for extra punching power in Statue Form. It seems that the innate sustain abilities wasn't working for me, though, so I had to use a ring for it for Tomb.

I never really swapped off my amulet of Vitality after I updated the game and converted it from a ring, but that's mainly because I found the hat of the Bear Spirit, which covered the only other amulet I wanted to wear.

For the Tomb changes, bennu are interesting, but they seem designed to target lichform casters rather than melee beasts, so I didn't have any trouble with it. Also, the change to greater mummies summoning emperor scorpions wasn't really noticeable with stairdancing, so they only came into play on the Tomb:1 hallway (in which I still punched my way through them pretty easily).

Finally, I didn't get to mess around with Hydra Form because Transfigurations/Fen Folio just wouldn't spawn. The only reason I ended up getting Statue Form, in fact, was punching Roxanne to death. A bit disappointing, but them's the breaks.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 25, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Was that amulet of vitality my idea, PF?and is it just a regular drop, like warding?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

BigFactory posted:

Was that amulet of vitality my idea, PF?and is it just a regular drop, like warding?

It's just the unrand, ring of vitality.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

apple posted:

It's just the unrand, ring of vitality.

So the unrand ring of vitality is just an unrand amulet now? I assumed he had a ring of regen to start with.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Arghhhhh loving early manticores !!!!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

It seems that the innate sustain abilities wasn't working for me, though, so I had to use a ring for it for Tomb.

Ah, yeah; I didn't add save compat for that change, so demigods started before that commit don't get innate sustain abilities. (It'll show up on the A screen if you have it.) Sorry about that!

BigFactory posted:

So the unrand ring of vitality is just an unrand amulet now?

Yes.

BigFactory posted:

I assumed he had a ring of regen to start with.

I don't know what this means.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

Ah, yeah; I didn't add save compat for that change, so demigods started before that commit don't get innate sustain abilities. (It'll show up on the A screen if you have it.) Sorry about that!

Yes.

I don't know what this means.

He said his ring converted to an amulet after an upgrade. I assumed he had a pre-regen change save, and that the base regen amulet is now vitality, which would have been neat. This is not as neat.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

BigFactory posted:

He said his ring converted to an amulet after an upgrade. I assumed he had a pre-regen change save, and that the base regen amulet is now vitality, which would have been neat. This is not as neat.

Oh, I see. Sorry!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

Oh, I see. Sorry!

Make the amulet of vitality a regular drop, not a fixedart! It was a great ring, but it's only a so-so amulet. And it solves your tedium problem.

EDIT: Jivya temple is amazing, whoever put that in!

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 11, 2014

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I want to go on record saying I really like how all the unique enemies have titles.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Here PF, I saved this for you. Here is what entering Vault 5 looks like to an OctoHydra:

In other news, I can't play in Chrome anymore because after a few moves it puts this black box on the lower left corner. Shortly after tiles start duplicating all over the place.

I can't inspect it because that whole block is just a tiles map. Any ideas? I don't have hardly any addons loaded in Chrome and it's always worked perfectly.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Well, after many years of Crawling, finally have my first 15 rune win:

code:
        Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16-a0-1205-g505bced (webtiles) character file.

12250057 hito the Middleweight Champion (level 27, 354/354 HPs)
             Began as a Red Draconian Transmuter on Oct 4, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Oct 11, 2014!

The game lasted 18:26:44 (134654 turns).

hito the Middleweight Champion (DrTm)             Turns: 134654, Time: 18:26:44

Health: 354/354    AC: 49    Str: 39    XL:     27
Magic:  42/48      EV: 46    Int: 33    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   16530      SH: 33    Dex: 25    Spells: 15 memorised, 16 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis .       - Unarmed
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     (armour unavailable)
rNeg   + + +     SustAb   .     z - +2 large shield of Serendipity {rC+ Str+3 Slay-4}
rPois  +         Gourm    .     r - +2 hat
rElec  +         Spirit   .     W - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  .         Warding  +     X - melded +0 pair of gloves of Shuly {+Fly rElec Slay+6}
rMut   .         Stasis   .     Z - melded +2 pair of boots {Stlth+}
MR     +++..                    u - macabre finger necklace {Ward rN+}
Stlth  +++.......               l - ring "Klo Pryu" {+Fly rF+ MR+}
                                A - ring of Itocrip {rN+ Slay+3}
                                O - ring of Shaolin {EV+8}

@: statue-form, stone skin, very slow, extremely resistant to hostile
enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: (breathe fire), unfitting armour, horns 1, talons 1, camouflage 1, clumsy 1,
fire resistance 1, cold-blooded
a: End Transformation, Bend Time, Temporal Distortion, Slouch, Step From Time,
Renounce Religion, Evoke Flight
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: decaying, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark, gossamer

You escaped.
You worshipped Cheibriados.
Cheibriados was exalted by your worship.
You were very full.

You were a stone statue.
dump

Statue Form is super great and I really had very few danger spots past the midgame. The exceptions were a.) going down a pan staircase face-to-face with Cerebov without any buffs or forms on and b.) a bit of a rough spot in Tomb (which luckily a lot of people helped me with). I still do feel like high AC characters have it so much easier than EV characters (well really I was both here but y'know) - I can't imagine doing that as someone wearing a robe or leather.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Araganzar posted:

In other news, I can't play in Chrome anymore because after a few moves it puts this black box on the lower left corner. Shortly after tiles start duplicating all over the place.

I can't inspect it because that whole block is just a tiles map. Any ideas? I don't have hardly any addons loaded in Chrome and it's always worked perfectly.

I have no idea what's happening. I have an unmodified Chrome too and I didn't have a problem with it yesterday; I only had time for a bit of playtime today but it wasn't doing it then, either. Is it just trunk or everything, and which server do you play on?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Singing Sword seems to have a thick russian accent.

e: which makes this terrifying

quote:

<minqmay> apparently there is a 0.000060672 chance of any one screaming sword scream being "LET'S FONDLE THE SPERM WHALES, FONDLE THEM!"

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

I have no idea what's happening. I have an unmodified Chrome too and I didn't have a problem with it yesterday; I only had time for a bit of playtime today but it wasn't doing it then, either. Is it just trunk or everything, and which server do you play on?

Someone in chat said they were having a similar issue. They said to uninstall and re-install Chrome and you won't lose any settings. So I did that and it worked.

edit: Spoke too soon. Here is what it looks like now. Hardly an improvement. This is CSZO Trunk. Also doing it on 0.15 and on CBRO. Deleted all extensions and cleared all cookies and history.

I have been thinking about writing special code for the Singing Sword if a spectral Singing Sword is on screen. That's pretty easy to read from the monster list and you could have flavor texts like the two swords singing a duet or having a Devil Goes Down to Georgia battle. Maybe the spectral sword would have a spooky voice or sing gloomy songs. Could even increase the sonic effects which frankly are underwhelming.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 11, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Singing Sword duets and musical duels sound amazing. The Singing Sword should also get really huffy and offended if you get mesmerized by a siren or whatever. Don't listen to that... that hack! You call that shriek an alto? My scabbard has a better singing voice!!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So I'm hopping on the transmuter train to try out hydra form, and I was wondering - is Int 100% of the time the best stat for anyone with spellcasting, like before? Not sure what to raise on my OcTm

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wolpertinger posted:

So I'm hopping on the transmuter train to try out hydra form, and I was wondering - is Int 100% of the time the best stat for anyone with spellcasting, like before? Not sure what to raise on my OcTm

If hydraform is your goal, I'd stick to dex. It's single school and spell power just affects duration. Dex will help a lot more. OcTms are particularly sucky.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do you open someone like a pillowcase?
Don't pillowcases slide off and stuff.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

amuayse posted:

How do you open someone like a pillowcase?
Don't pillowcases slide off and stuff.

It's implying cutting the pillowcase open with a knife, not sliding it off.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

It's implying cutting the pillowcase open with a knife, not sliding it off.

Who opens up a pillowcase with a knife, instead of sliding it off?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Arrhythmia posted:

Who opens up a pillowcase with a knife, instead of sliding it off?

Angry people with a sword, apparently.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FR: when you wake up from an enemy's sleep spell (e.g. Aizul), if you are still berserking at the time please log the message "You open your eyes like a pillowcase!".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"You open the box of beasts like a pillowcase!"

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

"Zipper" should be in randart names for daggers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

resistentialism posted:

"Zipper" should be in randart names for daggers.

"Laundry day"

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I was going through a bunch of old Crawl things I had on my computer and tripped over this ancient screenshot which is also one of my most favorite:

I think it was one of the first times I ran into Nikola and I decided I could sneak up on him and stab him. This ended poorly.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

BigFactory posted:

"Laundry day"

You gently fold and put the enemy away like a pillowcase...!!!!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

quote:

The minotaur wields the +9 dagger of Chilly Death {freeze, rPois rF- rC++ MR+}.
It glows with a cold blue light! The minotaur closely misses you. The minotaur gores you!
Evoke which item? (* to show all) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You reach into the bag... ...and things crawl out!
The minotaur unwields the +9 dagger of Chilly Death {freeze, rPois rF- rC++ MR+}.
The minotaur wields an uncursed longbow.
The minotaur shoots a poisoned arrow. The poisoned arrow hits you!!
Ouch! That really hurt!
You die...
You motherfucker :argh:

cheetah7071 posted:

"You open the box of beasts like a pillowcase!"
http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=implemented+bad+ideas Number 6.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 12, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

man that really sucks, chilly death is awesome.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

BigFactory posted:

If hydraform is your goal, I'd stick to dex. It's single school and spell power just affects duration. Dex will help a lot more. OcTms are particularly sucky.

Wait, is it no longer the case that you pump str on transmuters because unarmed has insane scaling?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

nrook posted:

Wait, is it no longer the case that you pump str on transmuters because unarmed has insane scaling?
Unarmed has insane scaling with skill level, I believe. The huge str/dex scaling is on blade hands.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Got troll leather armor on an ogre berserker early and had the time of my life up to having to pick up my first rune. My fuckoff +7 antimagic giant spiked club was fantastic and could just about twoshot anything and everything, but that doesn't matter at all when you lose two thirds of your 200 hp the moment something looks at you. I should have gone with the large shield I found early but twohanding a huge weapon sounded too amazing to pass up on. I have learned a lesson on ignoring defensive skills.

How would you guys level up a stabby type character? Pump stealth first then worry about weapons? I did okay with a demonspawn once but by the time I was picking up rune 3 even something like 20 stealth meant I at best got one or two turns before things woke up around me, and once they got to me all those levels in stealth meant nothing :saddown:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Maxmaps posted:

Got troll leather armor on an ogre berserker early and had the time of my life up to having to pick up my first rune. My fuckoff +7 antimagic giant spiked club was fantastic and could just about twoshot anything and everything, but that doesn't matter at all when you lose two thirds of your 200 hp the moment something looks at you. I should have gone with the large shield I found early but twohanding a huge weapon sounded too amazing to pass up on. I have learned a lesson on ignoring defensive skills.

How would you guys level up a stabby type character? Pump stealth first then worry about weapons? I did okay with a demonspawn once but by the time I was picking up rune 3 even something like 20 stealth meant I at best got one or two turns before things woke up around me, and once they got to me all those levels in stealth meant nothing :saddown:

being stealthy lets you get in a free kill or two a lot of times, but if you want a dedicated stabber, you need to incapacitate your foes. Blinding, stunning, nets, wands of confusion or paralyzing, etc. A lot of things open monsters up to stabbing besides getting the drop on them. High stealth is fantastic for encounter management, but you can't really be Solid Snake in this game.

E: I'd worry about weapons and defenses first. You could always leave stealth on as a slow trickle so you don't ignore it while levelling other things. Dithmenos will get you all of the stealth, if you want to go that route. That's how I got as far as I did with my FeFi.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

being stealthy lets you get in a free kill or two a lot of times, but if you want a dedicated stabber, you need to incapacitate your foes. Blinding, stunning, nets, wands of confusion or paralyzing, etc. A lot of things open monsters up to stabbing besides getting the drop on them. High stealth is fantastic for encounter management, but you can't really be Solid Snake in this game.

Sure you can, EE of ashenzari.

• Locked thread