Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Hey guys, Joe Buck will be calling US Open golf next year. :suicide:

Oh god, the subdued boring guy is going to drain all of the excitement out of professional golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mahoning posted:

You would rather have Chris Berman?

Buck is a boring white guy and golf is a sport for boring white people. It's a match made in heaven.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ball.

hit.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Golf is a drinking game, not a spectator sport

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Benne posted:

You would rather have Chris Berman?

BACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACK ALL THE WAY OUT TO <nearby town/city>

Chris Berman calling golf would loving own.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

MrChips posted:

BACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACK ALL THE WAY OUT TO <nearby town/city>

Chris Berman calling golf would loving own.

He called ESPN's portion of the US Open until this year

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Vertical Lime posted:

What, seriously?! I imagine he wasn't as hilariously awful and over the top as he is doing football/baseball HRD, which is kind of a shame

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

commy gun posted:

Buck and Aikman are loud and annoying but at least they don't lull me to sleep. Nantz and Simms are the worst.

This. Thom Brennaman is slow and dull and mispronounces names so often its mind blowing.

My favorite Thom Brennamoment ever was last year when he was calling a Rangers/Reds game. IIRC the game was tied with a man on first and the Reds hitter hosed up his first two bunt attempts so the Reds let him swing with two strikes. Dude then hits a dinger but Brennaman spent the whole rest of the game bitching about that guy not being able to get that bunt down.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Wasn't Berman at the US Open more like the home base/MC type guy and they let Tirico do the hole-to-hole PBP?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Mahoning posted:

Joe Buck and golf deserve each other.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Golf is the sport he should have been calling all along.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you are lame enough to watch loving golf you deserve whatever you get

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
This NLCS sabermetric simulcast is terrible. The game is permanently spiltscreened with analysts staring at their TV.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Webber is really good at talking about basketball and actually explaining in real words why this or that happened. Instead of relying on lovely cliches that can be applied to any situation. He's my favorite nba tv talky person.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

If you are lame enough to watch loving golf you deserve whatever you get
I've accidentally come across golf on the radio before. I...why?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

My favorite Thom Brennamoment ever was last year when he was calling a Rangers/Reds game. IIRC the game was tied with a man on first and the Reds hitter hosed up his first two bunt attempts so the Reds let him swing with two strikes. Dude then hits a dinger but Brennaman spent the whole rest of the game bitching about that guy not being able to get that bunt down.

Thom Brennaman (and his dad) are the most grit hustle announcers ever. What you just described is a regular thing and it doesn't help that the Reds have been terrible at bunting for pretty much forever. Both father and son will bitch about a player not running out a ground ball or not being able to move a runner over until they are blue in the face.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

I've accidentally come across golf on the radio before. I...why?

I'm kinda curious how this would even work.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Sash! posted:

I'm imagining a monotone voice reading the leaderboard over and over again.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Niwrad posted:

It is a travesty that we don't have Gus Johnson calling NFL games each weekend.
I've watched him do a couple college games and I really didn't like him

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

Better yet: turned out that it was the LPGA Skins game.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Vertical Lime posted:

He wanted to call The Masters more than anything in the world but Augusta told ESPN if they let Berman call one hole they would refuse to sign the contract giving ESPN Thursday and Friday coverage.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

He wanted to call The Masters more than anything in the world but Augusta told ESPN if they let Berman call one hole they would refuse to sign the contract giving ESPN Thursday and Friday coverage.

God bless.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I've watched him do a couple college games and I really didn't like him

Gus Johnson's only tone is "shout" instead of "drone" and that makes people think he is a great announcer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Godzilla07 posted:

Gus Johnson's only tone is "shout" instead of "drone" and that makes people think he is a great announcer.

This is way better than drone and downright awesome when the moment warrants it. He's so so at football (which he does call every week for FS1) but he was perfect for march madness. Sports are supposed to be fun and exciting and he can at least convey that.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

MourningView posted:

This is way better than drone and downright awesome when the moment warrants it. He's so so at football (which he does call every week for FS1) but he was perfect for march madness. Sports are supposed to be fun and exciting and he can at least convey that.

Yeah, Johnson was seemingly tailor-made for the NCAA tournament. Which, of course, he hasn't done since 2011. :sigh:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
UFC announcer Mike Goldberg called today's Lions-Vikings game.

It went...poorly. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/10/12/6966049/mma-news-twitter-reacts-ufc-announcer-mike-goldberg-nfl-on-fox-debut

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Maybe next time they can give him an actual game to call.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
He's got Vikings-Bills next week so nope!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

^^^ It's all about FOX Sports synergy!
Just ask Pam Oliver about how all of that works.

Ribsauce posted:

Augusta National is known for harboring many disgusting ideologies but this is one I'm full on board of. Hell, I'd rather the Thursday/Friday rounds go to The Golf Channel and I hate the NBC crew.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 13, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Mike Goldberg calling NFL games means that like 90% of players are "explosive"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NBA has now finally confirmed/admitted they'll have ad space sold on jerseys, going along with the new TV deal

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ugh. This was one thing I thought North American sports did better than soccer - keeping the uniforms clean. Of course, it makes sense for business to exploit all revenue streams, and god knows we aren't going to stop watching, so it's probably inevitable.

Looking forward to rooting for the New York Goldman Sachs.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Do jerseys they sell to us fans have those ads? If so I'll probably not buy one...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If it's like soccer jerseys then yeah.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Or WNBA jerseys

What team is this? Who knows????

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Really loving lame

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'll meet soccer halfway here. I can accept ads on soccer jerseys because there aren't any commercial breaks aside from halftime. Basketball has 10,000 timeouts though so that's gonna get old really fast.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
I can't wait to get my hands on a Cleveland PROGRESSIVE AUTO INSURANCE or Boston DUNKIN DONUTS jersey for Christmas.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gonna buy so many PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE Cavalier jerseys.

Edit: Beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Eh, they weren't going to ignore that potential revenue stream forever. I get why people don't like it but I imagine they'll get over it pretty quickly. At some point I'm sure people were mad about ads all over the court too, but with time everyone stopped noticing. It'll just become part of basketball. Eventually only the crotchety old dudes who get mad about rap music and t-shirt cannons will still be complaining and everyone else will just shrug.