Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

lelandjs posted:

The latest episode was one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile. The kids continue to be some of the greatest child comedy actors I've ever seen and the adult cast remains fantastic as well. I'm not sure how I feel about Charlie, since characters like him have taken over lesser sitcoms and ruined them, but hopefully he'll just be in the occasional episode.

It's a fun show to read about online, too, because people keep going off on what the show should and shouldn't do. Depending on who you ask, the second episode was either a miserable failure because it didn't have enough black stuff going on or it was fantastic because it proved that a black family has the same issues a white family does.

I didn't give a poo poo either way because I thought the second episode was funny. Glad it got a full season pickup.

For sure. The two youngest children are amazing comedy actors for being so young. Especially the girl. They hit the jackpot on finding those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
black-ish is pretty funny, I do have to admit as well. Kinda hoping Fresh of the Boat does just as well when it comes into place in the mid-season, although I'm confused as to why they didn't have all them just airing in tandem after MF or whatever.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Wasn't feeling the Black-ish pilot but the other two episodes were excellent. I'm in for the first season.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Wasn't feeling the Black-ish pilot but the other two episodes were excellent. I'm in for the first season.

I wholeheartedly agree. I was pretty down on the premiere, but the show has gotten leagues better. I thought it was going to be all "gotta make my kids act black" hijinks but instead its Anthony Anderson getting weirded out when his son doesn't know a 'black' thing and later realizing its because his son is his own person with his own cultural identity not tied to his race.

Him inviting over the super eager black guy from work and it turning out the guys son was a huge nerd and instantly became friends with Andre was hilarious, especially because for a brief moment Anderson was getting pissed that his son wasn't making 'black' friends until realizing his son identifies more with 'nerds' rather then race and is happy in that group.

Edit: Speaking of TV, anyone here watching Stalker? I saw the second episode and it was literally the worst police procedural I've ever seen or heard of by far. The writing was atrocious and they try to make the lead detective do some weird CSI-style logic-ing to suddenly break the case. For example they're going over how a stalker entered a house, and then the guy asks for a floor plan and starts quizzing the other detectives about what you can see from where before ~flash~ "We've got the wrong victim..."

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 11, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

On Mysteries of Laura this week, they decided to bring out the "gamers, right?" trick out for a spin. It wasn't as egregiously bad as Life or NCIS's was, but it was still bad. Basically they needed to find some guy who plays this MMO too much so they got him to hack the webcam in the precinct to trace the location back to him. Some pretty cringeworthy lines in there but again, nothing as embarassingly bad as the other two from before.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Is anyone watching A to Z? It's super cute but the ratings suck so I'm not sure how long it will last.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It started out as a bad show, stayed a bad show for the bulk of its run, and it's almost certainly going to have a really rushed and lovely ending. What's even the point of getting into it now?

First season was weak, second season had big issues with a handful of excellent episodes, third season was amazing, fourth season continues to be amazing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Decius posted:

First season was weak, second season had big issues with a handful of excellent episodes, third season was amazing, fourth season continues to be amazing.

It's more for fans of the original. There's a lot of good to it before late season episodes ruin the potential. Season 1 started with a radical group advocating against bender opression, and for a while people thought Korra was going to do some super serious political stuff before it devolved into "bad guy is revealed, big fight". Season 2 was interesting, again more on the "ambiguous things going on that may or may not be evil" before outright going "Muahahaha I am a villain and I want to destroy everything!"

Season 3 was much, much better as a whole, and even if the run up didn't pay off as much as it could've the Red Lotus were the people introduced as genuine threats from the start as people with major philosophical differences about the Avatar's role in the world and prepared to use violence to achieve it.

Season 4 is their last chance to make Korra a relatively good show. Many extremely popular shows always have some downside, usually a weak first season or a weird turn in later seasons, but as a whole are still good for watching.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Is Parks and Rec season 6 good?

Not as good as the best seasons of Parks and Rec, but better than most TV. Worth a watch if you've done the first 5.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, agree. The season finale has me excited about S7.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's a big improvement over Season 5, but not as good as Seasons 3 or 4. I don't know if I'd rate it on par with 2 or slightly under.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I've been watching Chuck recently, mostly out of a lack of shows to watch that I don't have to pay too much attention to. This show is pretty much a decent Garfield comic where my reaction is "huh, alright. I get it."

I don't think I've actually laughed once, the "drama" is boilerplate, and anything focused on the ancillary characters is absolute death. Why do people like this show so much? Is it Miranda?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

That DICK! posted:

I've been watching Chuck recently... Why do people like this show so much? Is it Miranda?

It was for me.

Well, her and those delicious five dollar footlong Subway® sandwiches, available from your nearest Sandwich Artist. Thanks Big Mike!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

That DICK! posted:

I've been watching Chuck recently, mostly out of a lack of shows to watch that I don't have to pay too much attention to. This show is pretty much a decent Garfield comic where my reaction is "huh, alright. I get it."

I don't think I've actually laughed once, the "drama" is boilerplate, and anything focused on the ancillary characters is absolute death. Why do people like this show so much? Is it Miranda?

The answer you're looking for is great chemistry between everyone involved. It gives the show a certain charm that makes it watchable even in episodes when the material is not that great.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Adam Baldwin must be a loving saint while on set because he seems like the hugest right-wing douchenozzle when he isn't.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sober posted:

Adam Baldwin must be a loving saint while on set because he seems like the hugest right-wing douchenozzle when he isn't.
It's called being a professional.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Wandle Cax posted:

It's good, but not great. It has some good episodes and just ok episodes. However - the ending gives me hope that the show will wrap up nicely for Season 7.

Well I can't say I didn't see this coming:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fxs-archer-changes-name-of-spy-agency-because-its-called-isis/

All that ISIS merchandise...

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 11, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Haven't you ever been in a work situation and found out somebody you sit next to believes in psychics or ghosts or poo poo? Most people believe insane things, but they keep quiet about it because you're all there to work. Most of them are even respectful and friendly too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wandle Cax posted:

I liked it a lot more than most, and most people liked it more than season 5, I think. It's a weird season because Andy disappears for big chunks of it (because Chris Pratt was off doing movies) and they push the plot forward in several comfort-zone-breaking ways. It's one of the weakest Ron Swanson season because there were a few too many cartoonish jokes involving him ("But you don't even know where my bacon is", etc).

But it has some pure gold like (ironically enough) Eagleton Ron, in fact the whole several episodes with Eagleton at the beginning are awesome. And then later on you get some of Leslie and Ben's best character growth. And the finale is definitely amazing and season 7 will most likely be a fantastic last season for a fantastic show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Him and Nick Searcy are the two huge hardcore conservatives that the medium of twitter has brought to light, but both of them come off as professional as poo poo when they're getting paychecks and doing their job. Searcy was misquoted/trumpeted as red-blooded conservative unafraid to speak his mind if it cost him a role but his actual quote was more along the lines of "You might not get an acting job because of your opinions, or maybe because you remind a casting director of a bully from his childhood. Maybe it's your politics, but its just as easily not, so there's no point in making a big deal about it"

Twitter has created this odd paradigm where famous people expressing controversial opinions over it suddenly make the public believe that said famous person is incapable of not bring it up in their daily life and effecting their ability to work as actors.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Nielsen admits months of ratings were wrong: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102070644

Finally the mystery of how NBC became the first place network is solved.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, agree. The season finale has me excited about S7.

I had no idea there was going to be a S7. When I watched S6 on the Netflix, I totally thought that was a series finale.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Parks and Rec finale was great because they finally recognized and addressed the lack of meaningful character growth and challenging of the status quo in the most direct way possible. It would have been better if they spent the past 2 years advancing and growing organically instead of treading water and then doing a time jump but, eh, what are you going to do.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

time jumps are great

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Anyone watched Cadfael with Derek Jacobi? I remember watching a couple episodes of that a while ago. Any good show set in the (early) Middle Ages?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Nobody could ever guess Daredevil is blind!!

Also the trailer for the stupendously awful looking Powers adaptation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P02QmncDOzM

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't see anything terrible in that, I dunno.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Made a thread for Black-ish

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

MrAristocrates posted:

I didn't see anything terrible in that, I dunno.

It's only a promo so it's hard to say how it'll go, but it looks more like a well-funded fan video than a real TV production.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

It's only a promo so it's hard to say how it'll go, but it looks more like a well-funded fan video than a real TV production.

I think it's Sharlto throwing everything off; he's straining under the weight of keeping his New York accent consistent, so he sounds more like a parody of a tough guy than a guy who's frustrated and impotent after losing his powers. But I think he earns his place in the cast with that final moment.

We'll see if he can overcome it, but I'm re-upped for PS+ this year, so I'm in.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Who does this chin belong to? Is it Richard Alpert?

Ravane fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 12, 2014

radlum
May 13, 2013
It looks like a generic cop show. Also, like a show produced for a gaming console rather than for actual TV. I hope it's good, I don't mind the PS being used for series.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Sharlto Copley is a delight. Like, I love the man in the way that people were drooling over Nicolas Cage a few years ago. He's always the best thing about whatever thing he's in so a show with him as the lead is something I can't not watch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kurtofan posted:

Anyone watched Cadfael with Derek Jacobi? I remember watching a couple episodes of that a while ago. Any good show set in the (early) Middle Ages?

Years ago, yeah. Read a bunch of the books too. Can't really recommend any shows though, sorry.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sharlto Copley is a delight. Like, I love the man in the way that people were drooling over Nicolas Cage a few years ago. He's always the best thing about whatever thing he's in so a show with him as the lead is something I can't not watch.

I thought his character in Oblivion Elysium was one of the biggest problems with the film, and his role should have been massively cut down.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 12, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought his character in Oblivion was one of the biggest problems with the film, and his role should have been massively cut down.

Sharlto Copley wasn't in Oblivion.

Or was that "whoosh" over my head something significant?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DivisionPost posted:

Sharlto Copley wasn't in Oblivion.

Or was that "whoosh" over my head something significant?

I got Oblivion and Elysium mixed up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ravane posted:

Who does this chin belong to? Is it Richard Alpert?

It's Charlie Cox, from Boardwalk Empire.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kurtofan posted:

Vikings. Not at all like Cadfael obviously (12th century isn't early Middle Ages btw.).

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Jane the Virgin premieres tomorrow! Come check the thread out, it's booming, we have 6 comments (and only two of them are from me)! :cool:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669958

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It started out as a bad show, stayed a bad show for the bulk of its run, and it's almost certainly going to have a really rushed and lovely ending. What's even the point of getting into it now?
Some of the best animation of any show. Studio MIR are beasts.

• Locked thread