Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I forgot the key but you can unload weapons on the ground in DoomRL. Every bit of extra ammo helps especially in the higher difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Capital U, I think?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
^^^ Yeah that's it, I found it already

So how would I know what to use the assault/tactical shotgun on vs the super one? Assuming I find a super one early, is there one I should mod over the other? My build was TANx2, Badass, Reloaderx2, shottyman. I then decided not to go for wizkid and grabbed army of the dead.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

I still don't have enough HP

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The Super Shotgun is a ridiculously good weapon with Army of the Dead and a nano-shrapnel super shotty is right up there for one of the best weapons in the drat game since it never needs to reload and you can just infinitely fire cones of armour-ignoring hell at everything. Nothing can stand up to that poo poo for long.

The base weapon does require careful use due to the reloading time involved, but it utterly pulps low-armour enemies and can send tougher enemies flying backwards at close range.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

So how would I know what to use the assault/tactical shotgun on vs the super one? Assuming I find a super one early, is there one I should mod over the other? My build was TANx2, Badass, Reloaderx2, shottyman. I then decided not to go for wizkid and grabbed army of the dead.

I don't honestly remember if this is ever noted in the game - one of DoomRL's problems - but the super shotgun is a normal shotgun blast whereas the assault and tactical shotguns are a focused shotgun blast. Normal blasts are wider, but their damage drops off significantly faster. Focused has a tighter spread, but the damage carries better.

You also have to take into account that the super shotgun is a single huge blob of damage but takes 2 seconds to reload - twice the time of the combat shotgun reload and 10 times the 0.2 sec it takes to pump the thing. (I forgot: both assault and tactical shotguns don't need pumping, it's only the combat shotgun that does.)

If it were a normal character I'd say take the super shotgun and wait for things to get near rather than waste ammo at range. On an Army of the Dead character I'd take the tac/assault because the rate of fire is just so much better and you'll be armor piercing with it so the low damage isn't an issue. (This is by no means certain.) (e: as just got amply pointed out)

Angry Diplomat posted:

and can send tougher enemies flying backwards at close range.

e2: Depending what you're facing, this can actually be to your detriment. If an Arachnotron's wandered up to you and is weakly poking you in the face, the last thing you want to do is knock it back - especially if you do so at an angle where it can then shoot the poo poo out of you.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 11, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yes. Also: Mancubi and Arch-viles (they hit hard in melee but oh god gently caress deliberately eating their ranged attacks). Barons of Hell hit like trucks up close though and knocking them back is a very good idea. The only other "do not make this guy far away" thing I can think of is former commandoes and they typically just die outright to a point-blank super shotgun blast.

Shotgun knockback is also amazing for hurling things into acid or lava. Bonus: melted enemies can't be resurrected!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

Never played Ragnarok before, so I'm playing it now. First death was 20 turns in when I mixed two potions and exploded.

Rolled another guy with the same name and...

Ha! I get flak from Dungeonmans players because I don't let them use the name of a fallen hero, so this feels very satisfying.

Names in roguelikes are kind of weird. They are good identifiers for characters, but have a very roleplaying background to them. LiKe my Crawl score list is full of duplicate names, which only usually get changed when I'm using a different race/build. It helps with ghost ability identifying in practice, at least. But how important is each individual character? If I don't make it very far in a game where I have to start all over from the beginning every time it gets rough thinking of a new name every time. Especialky since I'm not the sort that can live with Bob, Boba, Bobb, Bobc, et cetera.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Potsticker posted:

Names in roguelikes are kind of weird. They are good identifiers for characters, but have a very roleplaying background to them. LiKe my Crawl score list is full of duplicate names, which only usually get changed when I'm using a different race/build. It helps with ghost ability identifying in practice, at least. But how important is each individual character? If I don't make it very far in a game where I have to start all over from the beginning every time it gets rough thinking of a new name every time. Especialky since I'm not the sort that can live with Bob, Boba, Bobb, Bobc, et cetera.

I just number my characters.

My first ToME winner was Number 70, and #102 tops the high score list in Dungeons of Dredmor.

It's not like most of them will live long enough to be worthy of a name :unsmigghh:

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I just name all of my characters some variation of Akket (because I once mispelled my name (Allen) that way).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Stelas posted:

e2: Depending what you're facing, this can actually be to your detriment. If an Arachnotron's wandered up to you and is weakly poking you in the face, the last thing you want to do is knock it back - especially if you do so at an angle where it can then shoot the poo poo out of you.

Also, the super shotgun technically fires two blasts in a row. The knockback from the first hit is calculated before the damage from the second hit, so if you're at long ranges you might actually knock enemies outside of your max range and end up doing half damage.

This is more of a big deal for the double shotgun, which has half the range of the super shotgun (but the same damage).

Oh yeah, also: there's no reason to ever care about reload times on a shotgun. Just get shottyman, and you'll reload it instantly whenever you move.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Super Shotgun is a ridiculously good weapon with Army of the Dead and a nano-shrapnel super shotty is right up there for one of the best weapons in the drat game since it never needs to reload and you can just infinitely fire cones of armour-ignoring hell at everything. Nothing can stand up to that poo poo for long.

The base weapon does require careful use due to the reloading time involved, but it utterly pulps low-armour enemies and can send tougher enemies flying backwards at close range.

Doesn't shottyman fix the reload time issue? I have no idea about the time various actions take, wish there were a display of like, the delay of the last action like crawl has.

e: guy above just said that

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 11, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jeffrey posted:

Doesn't shottyman fix the reload time issue? I have no idea about the time various actions take, wish there were a display of like, the delay of the last action like crawl has.

e: guy above just said that

You can press @ to get a list of stats including move speed, reload speed, etc.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can press @ to get a list of stats including move speed, reload speed, etc.

Ahh thanks that helps.

Wait how can I get both a nano shotgun and army of the dead? Doesn't army of the dead block finesse and thus whizkid? Do I have to waste points getting wizkid first and then losing the finesse ranks?

Sorry to spam the thread with noob questions, this game is good but not exactly transparent.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You cannot get both. The super shotty is fine without nanoshrapnel if you have AotD because it ignores armour anyway!! Just carry a shitload of shells and you're golden.

Shottyman definitely obviates reload speed a lot but be careful if you're in red armour or some heavy rare poo poo. You'll still get shot a lot with your slow-rear end movespeed. At least you can dodge.

E: to clarify, you CANNOT under any circumstances have both a master trait and one of its blocked traits. If you take a blocked trait, you are permanently locked out of any master traits that block it! So pay attention and plan your trait selections out in advance.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 11, 2014

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
in keeping with the IVAN chat, i just packed it into a boxer app. How do you get a character off the ground?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

andrew smash posted:

in keeping with the IVAN chat, i just packed it into a boxer app. How do you get a character off the ground?

Just enjoy the ride. Any IVAN round that doesn't end with you passed out in a pool of your own bodily fluids is miserable failure :colbert:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

In terms of Names I tend to use the same ones, but retire them once they ascend. I keep this list across all games so for easier games, DoD or the like, I'll use more obscure ones.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Oh yeah, also: there's no reason to ever care about reload times on a shotgun. Just get shottyman, and you'll reload it instantly whenever you move.

As mentioned, armor slowing you down is still a problem, especially as most Shotgun builds aren't going to be touching Hellrunner. You can get through an entire clip of combat shotgun in the time it takes you to Shottyman that super shotgun. e: I forgot firing time but still, I just generally like having the ability to throw out a ton of rounds real quick.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 12, 2014

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Hey Unormal I've been catching up with the thread and I see you're updating CoQ again. Is there a link to a windows version of the updates or are you just updating for linux or something?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

madjackmcmad posted:

Never played Ragnarok before, so I'm playing it now. First death was 20 turns in when I mixed two potions and exploded.

Rolled another guy with the same name and...

Ha! I get flak from Dungeonmans players because I don't let them use the name of a fallen hero, so this feels very satisfying.

Naming your dude is half the fun.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Blackray Jack posted:

Hey Unormal I've been catching up with the thread and I see you're updating CoQ again. Is there a link to a windows version of the updates or are you just updating for linux or something?

The link I posted earlier was the windows versions. Crazy goons are just doing black magic to get it to (barely) run on Linux.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vlkzatq58yqkdl5/AAAybqz-6WaBp4NxZysLq2A8a?dl=0

Unormal fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 12, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

I just number my characters.

My first ToME winner was Number 70, and #102 tops the high score list in Dungeons of Dredmor.

It's not like most of them will live long enough to be worthy of a name :unsmigghh:

You know, that's not that bad of an idea. I was thinking putting numbers sounded pretty dumb, but if you think of it like "attempt at ____ number _____ " instead of Sally the Fortieth, it sounds way better.

Edwhirl posted:

I just name all of my characters some variation of Akket (because I once mispelled my name (Allen) that way).

This is really cute

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I have a weird tradition that spread to other games I play.

Basically I started Crawl with a character named Estara. Crawl lets you repeat with the same name, and I died so much that I stuck with it.

Then I finally cleared, started a new character, and realized it didn't look right without the name.

So I compromised-I started the name with an E and a feminine end.

This became a baffling tradition for me. :v:

For DoomRL I just name everyone E though. :v:

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Potsticker posted:

This is really cute

It was actually IVAN that started that little tradition.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dis astranagant posted:

Just enjoy the ride. Any IVAN round that doesn't end with you passed out in a pool of your own bodily fluids is miserable failure :colbert:

also, getting a character off the ground usually ends up in you slipping around in your own bodily fluids anyways. at least, when it comes to the 'walk on glass until your legs fall off' phase.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
that's fine and all, i'm just not even dying in funny ways but just getting turned into grease spots by big hedgehogs.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So, Ragnarok. Decided to try the whole alchemist mixing potions thing.

I don't have legs anymore.

And therefore I can't walk or otherwise move, apparently.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

andrew smash posted:

that's fine and all, i'm just not even dying in funny ways but just getting turned into grease spots by big hedgehogs.

Let your puppy fight hedgehogs. Alternatively, wield the lantern you get at the start, it makes an alright shield. Hedgehogs will gently caress you up if you fight them unarmed and unarmoured.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RickVoid posted:

Yeah, don't go trying to mix potions you don't know the recipe for.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

Somebody had posted earlier the whole "Start an alchemist, mix all your potions, drink, hope for the best" start earlier, and I figured it'd be funny at least. Which it was, I literally couldn't do anything. I think the last time I played a version of Ragnarok was over ten years ago, it certainly didn't look like this (that I can remember, anyway). Looking the game over I noticed that it also tracks the number of eyes and fingers you have left. That's awesome.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh. Oh, yeah, if it's literally the first thing you do, nothing lost.

And "left"? You can get more of each in various ways. (Handy if you want to wear more rings, for one thing.)

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Zereth posted:

Oh. Oh, yeah, if it's literally the first thing you do, nothing lost.

And "left"? You can get more of each in various ways. (Handy if you want to wear more rings, for one thing.)

Weird fumes are the easiest way to get more fingers. I don't remember if they can give you eyes. But each additional eye gives you a boost to your chance to hit an enemy.

Edit: They can, they can also switch your gender (AFAIK this does absolutely nothing but change pronouns), and a few other things.

Edwhirl fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 12, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dis astranagant posted:

For hardcore players this is IRL

I used to name all of my non-online Crawl characters Robin for reasons unknown to me now. I name my Dredmor characters variations on "fucker" because I hate them and hate the game and wish I didn't want to play it :v:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
When I was a kid and cutting my teeth on a copy of Moria that my friends and I found in our junior high computer lab, I would name each sequential character after what had killed him the last time. So if I died to a bunch of rats, my next character would be Aldarion Ratbane or some such, and the goal of that play through would be more about exacting vengeance on rats and mice than worrying about the Blarog so much.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
In ADOM at two points later in the game you need to know what the first monster you killed was. So I made a habit out of renaming my characters to anagrams of their first kill.

Of course then lots of characters were named stuff like "Bolnig", "Tanig-Art", or "Clajak". Or once I got pro at the game, "Gabger" :getin:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Morholt posted:

In ADOM at two points later in the game you need to know what the first monster you killed was. So I made a habit out of renaming my characters to anagrams of their first kill.

Of course then lots of characters were named stuff like "Bolnig", "Tanig-Art", or "Clajak". Or once I got pro at the game, "Gabger" :getin:

the first thing i do is to KICK A BEGGAR TO THE DEATH!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Zereth posted:

Ok but someon--

RickVoid posted:

Somebody had posted earlier the whole "Start an alchemist, mix all your potions, drink, hope for the best" start earlier, and I figured it'd be funny at least.
Yeah exactly!! I don't know if I can handle these mixed signals. :colbert:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RickVoid posted:

See, at least if this was IVAN you could pray for new legs.

They'd probably be explosion legs or something, but that'd just mean you'd have sick-rear end rocket legs.

Until you got plastered into the dungeon ceiling. But the rocket legs would still be fine.

Rocket legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

RickVoid posted:

A blessed potion of curing will regrow lost legs.