Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Finding nothing is a little suspicious. I'm torn right now on whether we should attend our friend's party, or our enemy's. But regardless, as un-40k as it sounds, we should take care of our own first.

E: we also need to report to our actual superior in the Inquisition confirming the presence of the Enemy on the ship. But for that, we need a method of communication we can feel confident in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Outrail posted:

Loving this writing style.

Friends close. Enemies closer. But the help is more than games. Check up on Woodhouse.

But if we get the chance we should keep contacts with Amacita. She's a bookish confidant, and investigated 'something wierd' which is something we should get into.

Also, where are these names coming from? I'm picking up some Latin. Amacita (aka little friend).

Yup, all the names are Latin. Cruentus (bloody), Amacita (friendly) and Limosa (slimy/sour). The War40k universe likes their High Gothic (latin), and I like putting these little jokes in so I can remember their personality.

edit: I was looking at Limosa's first name, which I have as Viosus. Thats a typo and doesn't come up with anything. Virosus, though, is stinking or poisonous. :D

Also, thank you for the compliment :D I always like reading them.

Loel fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 12, 2014

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I'm bad at politics, because I just want to check up on a friend who may be in trouble and see what is up with Woodhouse. However, if I can just pick one, it would be Amacitia.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arkanomen posted:

D then C
Investigating around shouldn't take long and once the cleaners clean we'll lose whatever may or may not be there.

This is my reasoning as well. Ssounds like Woodhouse is taking the news of a Warp incursion pretty badly, we should really check up on him.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Another vote for D then C. Obviously Woodhouse needs our help.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Remember folks, Woodhouse is more than an underling: He's an asset.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Re: My dad, we'll have time for social calls later.
Right now we need to take care of official business.

The party is later. A few days later.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

That quote sets my PARANOIA sense a tingle.
It's very good to have a master that appreciates a suspicious mind.

I vote C - woodhouse might have stumbled on something important and relevant.

Nice eye, and yes, it is a Paranoia reference. I'm rather hoping we get heavy into that mentality as we go up the ranks :D

40 XP!

A
B x x
C x x x
D
D then C x x x

Loel fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 12, 2014

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lets check out the battle with this thing first while it's still fresh, and then make sure our rooms haven't been tossed through or some such thing. D -> C

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I forgot to ask: what's our physical condition? Do we require a stop at the nearest machine-temple?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I forgot to ask: what's our physical condition? Do we require a stop at the nearest machine-temple?

Just some fear effects mostly. I moved up your insanity a few points, but your physical health is fine.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Woodhouse is probably just high, you guys. Let's go see the not-at-all suspicious childhood friend in a sketchy out-of-the-way place!

A

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

LowellDND posted:

Just some fear effects mostly. I moved up your insanity a few points, but your physical health is fine.

What if we made a quick :tinfoil: for ourselves, the tin blessed by the Omnissiah of course.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

OK.
It'll still be a good idea to just pop over to the machine temple and quickly give thanks and prayer to the Omnissiah.

"Let your holy light show us to the leaking pipe, that we may replace it."
"Let your holy light show us to squeaking gear, that we may oil it."
"Let your holy light show us to corrupted code, that we may purge it."

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
D first. Just take half an hour to check the area. Messages can wait. Then C immediately after.

Woodhouse takes priority because he's our man, not just a connection but a tool.

A, schedule a meeting after Limosa's party.

B.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Before we leave, ask the Magos if there is a place or places aboard the ship where we can practice using the algorithm package he sent us without arousing suspicion.

Of course, our intent is to protect the secrets of the Mechanicum. We are in no way trying to deduce where we can start safely subverting the ship's machine spirits and subroutines to our whims, no sir.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

my dad posted:

Before we leave, ask the Magos if there is a place or places aboard the ship where we can practice using the algorithm package he sent us without arousing suspicion.

Of course, our intent is to protect the secrets of the Mechanicum. We are in no way trying to deduce where we can start safely subverting the ship's machine spirits and subroutines to our whims, no sir.

Yeah we should ask our Lord Sire for a secure communications package as well. You know, to report back to him.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Yeah we should ask our Lord Sire for a secure communications package as well. You know, to report back to him.

Well... no, not this, because if we ask him for a comms package we'll 100% get one he's listening in to and we don't know if he's one of the Enemy yet. And asking him for help on it makes us seem like we're incapable of standing on our own.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Besides, we're still low on the totem pole.
I figure it would seem very presumptive to ask for a direct line to Lord-sire.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Besides, we're still low on the totem pole.
I figure it would seem very presumptive to ask for a direct line to Lord-sire.

Precisely why it's a good idea. He'll love it.

Also he did tell us to contact him directly if we find anything suspicious.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
Just want to say that the awesome writing has convinced me that I can somehow find time for one more CYOA to be obsessed by.

A + C

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Thought for the day: 'Work earns salvation'

Voting for D and then C.

Meeting a childhood friend whom you hadn't seen for a while in a secluded place sounds like a bad idea while going to a public party held by Limosa (the witch sanctioned psyker who has a history of harrassing you) sounds like an even worse idea especially considering that we've been out of the Family gossip and comings and outgoing for so long.

Lets just focus on our work before checking up on our asset. We are still agents of his most Holy Inquisition and we have a duty to find out what's going on.

We should send a message over public comms to Limosa telling him we'd be happy to take up on his offer once our work is complete. We don't need to be at the party to convince Limosa that we're not a threat, we can just pretend we're a weird but completely boring tech priest more interested in work and efficiency dividends than climbing up the Family ladder right before.

Limosa is a threat to us but we need to fight him in areas where we can win. There's no need to try to beat him in Family politics when the Inquisition suddenly denounces him as a heretic or the life support in his mysteriously locked room suddenly fails to work.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

D then C

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Althair posted:

Just want to say that the awesome writing has convinced me that I can somehow find time for one more CYOA to be obsessed by.

A + C

Thank you! I'll try to keep your interest :D

Current Vote because people like making me work hard

A x
B x x
C x x x
D
D then C x x x x x x
D C A B x
A + C x

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

D first. Just take half an hour to check the area. Messages can wait. Then C immediately after.

Woodhouse takes priority because he's our man, not just a connection but a tool.

A, schedule a meeting after Limosa's party.

B.

This

We can't just ignore the probably heir when he extends a request for a social engagement. We have to play the game, same as everyone else, or the rules of polite society stop applying to us... and that means assassins in the dark.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
D then C but we absolutely have to attend one of those parties. Our fellow competitors just asked us to pick sides, I think.

I have to wonder if Amacita is sorta incompetent and non-threatening, or just wants to appear that way.

We should secretly meet with both if we can.

Edit: Oh, and Woodhouse is probably just high on space heroine.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

FireSight posted:

This

We can't just ignore the probably heir when he extends a request for a social engagement. We have to play the game, same as everyone else, or the rules of polite society stop applying to us... and that means assassins in the dark.

I think this is why we shouldn't be going to the party and playing the game at all. We've been away for far too long and as a Tech Priest, we're always viewed with suspicion and mistrust due to our worship of the Emperor as the Omnissiah. Going to a social function hosted by our mind read Nemesis who has spent the last several decades at the heart of the family and cultivating relationships is not going to go well for us.

Rogue Traders need to be aware of the rules of polite society but the rules don't apply to them because they're Rogue Traders not to mention that our Patriarch expects us to break those rules and think outside the box.

We don't need to follow the rules of meat, we just need to prove our worth with our actions. It's the only logical choice.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

I think this is why we shouldn't be going to the party and playing the game at all. We've been away for far too long and as a Tech Priest, we're always viewed with suspicion and mistrust due to our worship of the Emperor as the Omnissiah. Going to a social function hosted by our mind read Nemesis who has spent the last several decades at the heart of the family and cultivating relationships is not going to go well for us.

Rogue Traders need to be aware of the rules of polite society but the rules don't apply to them because they're Rogue Traders not to mention that our Patriarch expects us to break those rules and think outside the box.

We don't need to follow the rules of meat, we just need to prove our worth with our actions. It's the only logical choice.

We play along until there is an advantage to us NOT playing along. Not playing along for the sake of not playing along gains us nothing and could cost us a lot. Play along, find out what the dudes angle is, and THEN we can start snubbing him.

Never give up a chance to gain intel at little personal risk. A public venue/event means little chance of assassination attempts (other than poisoning, so we just don't drink or eat anything).

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kegslayer posted:

Minor quibble - the Family and inhabitants of the ship worship a triumvirate - God Emperor, Omnissiah, and Ching Shih as highest ranking saint. Tech Priests are about equal to Missionaries in a lot of ways on the ship, and the Magos is second only to the Lord-Sire, and that's only because the Captain is god on his ship. So that won't hold you back, but going to your Nemesis' party on his own ground with his people and his ability as a Telepath might.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
D and C Let's get a sample of what they were brewing in those cadavers.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
A Telepath?

Preemptively voting to think only in Binary around him.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A Telepath?

Preemptively voting to think only in Binary around him.

Do you mean B? A is friend from childhood, B is telepathic probable heir

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If it's possible to say it without spoiling us on the abilities of people involved, how much did the success of our conversation with the Lord-Sire depend on our rolls, and how much did it depend on our choice of words?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

If it's possible to say it without spoiling us on the abilities of people involved, how much did the success of our conversation with the Lord-Sire depend on our rolls, and how much did it depend on our choice of words?

He was predisposed to help you, as Creuntus had very publicly done what he had been explicitly told not to do. The words were the thing, he wanted an excuse to remove a liability and reward an asset.

edit: In addition, Creuntus had developed a reputation of being too focused on murdering (particularly allies) and not focused enough on actually winning.

If you ever did end up in combat with him, you would have learned he actually was pretty kick rear end when it came to fighting, but he had no chance at all against a decked out Rogue Trader.

Loel fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 12, 2014

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

LowellDND posted:

Do you mean B? A is friend from childhood, B is telepathic probable heir

The letter A had nothing to do with the vote choices, was just bolding that there's a telepath to worry about.

How's the wrist btw

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The letter A had nothing to do with the vote choices, was just bolding that there's a telepath to worry about.

How's the wrist btw

-checks posts- Ah, gotcha.

Wrist is good. Ive got some weird respiratory thing going on that Im watching, some weird combination of sleep apnea and asthma or something. I'm hoping the docs can figure it out and magic up some tasty delicious oxygen.

Texas air pollution is going to kill me I swear.

A x
B x x
C x x x
D
D/C x x x x x x x
D C A B x x
A + C x

Loel fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 12, 2014

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
C, and be stern. Woodhouse shouldn't be imbibing in whatever is slurring his speech and making him space out. It is an affront to the Imperium.

Good writing, by the by.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

None of these things are mutually exclusive, so why not do them all?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Tossing in another D/C vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
D, then C.