Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I'm really tempted to grab one of these even though I have no reason to. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I've never been a huge fan of portable gaming, but thanks to PS+ I have a bunch of interesting Vita games so I think I might get one of these then. Well played, Sony.

Also I never got around to playing Persona 4, so now I can just play Golden instead.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm definitely getting a Vita TV, since I mostly play mine at home and would much prefer a big screen and a DS4 for extended gameplay sessions. Then again I bought my Vita purely for P4G and not for the portability, so the Vita TV is a perfect fit for me. I just hope that Vita games working on it will be the rule rather than the exception.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beef Waifu posted:

Do we know if the Vita TV is region-free?

We don't actually know but will probably get a better idea closer to the release date. Currently it seems the Vita TV is blocked from connecting with a US account simply because the backend store for it isn't up; the Vita TV has its own store frontend to filter out incompatible games, and it's possible that once the backend store is up, everything will work. There's also the possibility that the whitelist could be region-specific (e.g. only US units can run US cards, or only consoles configured with a US account can run US cards) or some such thing, but it's probably more likely that the Vita TV will just get a firmware patch which includes an updated whitelist.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Is there any information up anywhere about transferring save games from a Vita to the Vita TV?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is there any information up anywhere about transferring save games from a Vita to the Vita TV?

I think the same way you transfer between Vitas now: either using the PS+ cloud, or using content manager on a PC (which works over a network and I think you can even use a double-ended USB cable to transfer with).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure if there's any truth to this, but apparently it will be possible to seamlessly swap the same card between the Playstation TV and an actual Vita if they're both bound to the same account. That's pretty cool if true.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

univbee posted:

Not sure if there's any truth to this, but apparently it will be possible to seamlessly swap the same card between the Playstation TV and an actual Vita if they're both bound to the same account. That's pretty cool if true.

According to this tweet it should be possible.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

AG3 posted:

According to this tweet it should be possible.

What I really wish for is multiple psn account login for PS TV akin to PS3. That way you could utilize Asian or Japanese PSN without reformatting.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

oblomov posted:

What I really wish for is multiple psn account login for PS TV akin to PS3. That way you could utilize Asian or Japanese PSN without reformatting.

Judging by that tweet I doubt it will be much easier than it is on the Vita now, considering the recommendation for the PSN IDs to match. The question is just what it entails when it's not "a seamless experience". I'm leaning towards it working like it does on the Vita now, or close to it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

Every time I've done it (From my Japanese Vita to Vita Tv), it had to reload the cards database, and all the folder contents got dumped. It did work though, so :shrug:.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If Sony was smart they'd release the Playstation TV bundle with Minecraft instead of The Lego Movie Game. A $130 Minecraft box would have sold like gangbusters to parents.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

If Sony was smart they'd release the Playstation TV bundle with Minecraft instead of The Lego Movie Game. A $130 Minecraft box would have sold like gangbusters to parents.

I said exactly this about the Vita itself a few months back, especially since portable options for that game have mostly been pretty lousy. Incidentally what might be the final code got sent off for certification to Sony, so we might be seeing it really soon (and owners of the PS3 digital version get it free).

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Maybe Mojang haven't wanted it to be a pack-in and strongly associated with any one console.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

elf help book posted:

Maybe Mojang haven't wanted it to be a pack-in and strongly associated with any one console.

Microsoft buying them could also play a role.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
According to someone on Twitter, after installation of system software 3.30, NA accounts can now be used on Japanese Vita TVs. univbee, want to check if this is true?

Same person also said the memory card got wiped. :ohdear: Be careful with that.

NA PS Store might not be accessible.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 2, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

According to someone on Twitter, after installation of system software 3.30, NA accounts can now be used on Japanese Vita TVs. univbee, want to check if this is true?

Same person also said the memory card got wiped. :ohdear: Be careful with that.

I'm in hospital for a while (wife giving birth) so it'll be a while before I can confirm, possibly even days. I'm curious if physical cards work from a Japanese-bound unit.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
:stare:
Oh! Well, congratulations!

I'll compile info from other places in the meantime.

The guy I linked confirmed NA PS Store is not accessible through Vita TV as of now. NA games have to be already installed on a memory card from a Vita handheld to play them on Vita TV.
He also only has one NA game on gamecard and it doesn't work (Neptunia Rebirth). :/

Another person confirmed EU accounts also work with Vita TV. The person is streaming Vita TV stuff right now. Right now, it's stuff from Persona 4 Golden.

From that stream, EU version of the first Danganronpa game really doesn't work, confirming its absence from the EU compatibility list. NA version is shown as compatible on the NA list.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

univbee posted:

I'm in hospital for a while (wife giving birth) so it'll be a while before I can confirm, possibly even days. I'm curious if physical cards work from a Japanese-bound unit.

oh poo poo, congrats dude!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yechezkel posted:

He also only has one NA game on gamecard and it doesn't work (Neptunia Rebirth). :/

That game doesn't even use the touchscreen aside from skipping dialog. I don't know why it shouldn't work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So my son was born fine, just getting that out of the way, and I had a chance to run some very quick tests.

The whitelist is updated so if your Japanese Vita TV gets updated to 3.30, you should be able to run physical cards on it with a Japanese account of compatible games. Note that the game has to show up on the English list, so unfortunately Ys Memories of Celceta doesn't work. However, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace works if you patch it. (Note I just got to the point where the games boot up). I confirmed that Dangan Ronpa 1 and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward are compatible games, at least.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Another update and still no sign of support for Sony branded headsets, or the headset port on PS4 controllers. That's just a ridiculous oversight if you ask me.

edit: and PSO2 doesn't support it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 4, 2014

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is coming out next week!
er... next week in the NA region. EU region won't get it until 14 November.

I put in my pre-order for it today. Hopefully a store won't put up a surprise deal with it a few weeks after I get it, like most other gaming stuff.

$100 doesn't seem like a bad risk, since I have spare controllers and memory cards for it.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 7, 2014

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Both NA and EU PS Blogs posted big FAQs about PSTV:

NA FAQ
EU FAQ

Notable answers that I don't believe have been covered in this thread.
For both regions:

quote:

Is a memory card required for gameplay?
PS TV has 1GB internal memory, which can be used for game saves or small-sized downloadable content. However, you will need a separate memory card for those games that require game saves or have downloadable content with larger data. A memory card isn’t required for streaming services like PS Now or Remote Play.

What is the difference between PS TV and PS Vita?
The following table highlights the feature differences between the two systems.

quote:

Applications
The following PS Vita applications are not available on PS TV:
- near
- map
- welcome park
- network operator
- Remote Play (for PlayStation 3)

The following applications are available on both PS TV and PS Vita, though with these differences:
- Photos cannot be taken on PS TV’s [photo] app (PS TV does not have a camera).
- When using voice chat on PS TV’s [party] app, users must use a separately sold Bluetooth headset (PS TV does not have a microphone).

Network Connection
PS TV supports both Wi-Fi and Ethernet.

Video/Sound Output
PS TV outputs video/sound to a TV via HDMI cable.

Controls
PS TV is controlled by DualShock 3 or DualShock 4.

The touch pointer feature allows users to use right/left stick on a controller (DualShock 3 or DualShock 4) to perform touch operations like you would on a PS Vita system. In addition, users can also use a touch pad on a DS4 to perform touch operations. Users can use this feature in supported PS Vita titles or PS Mobile titles.

[OPTIONS] and [SHARE] buttons on a DS4 will be assigned to [START] and [SELECT] button on a PS Vita system.

Speaker and Stereo headset jack on a DS4 are not supported on PS TV.

PS TV supports key input via Bluetooth keyboards (however, Sony Computer Entertainment does not guarantee compatibility with all Bluetooth keyboards).

Game Titles
PS TV supports different titles from PS Vita.

What screen resolutions will PS TV support?
PS TV will support 480p, 720p, and 1080i via HDMI output.

Will PS TV support 4K content for video or gaming?
No, the PS TV system does not support 4K output for games.

Does PS TV support analog video or audio output? Does PS TV support standard-definition TVs?
No. PS TV’s video and audio are transmitted using HDMI, a common digital connector found on most HD TVs. PS TV does not support standard-definition TVs.

How many SEN accounts can be connected to PS TV? (from EU FAQ, should be same in NA region)
As with PS Vita, only one SEN account can be connected to PS TV at once.

Is there a limit to how many PS TV’s I can activate on my SEN account? (from EU FAQ, should be same in NA region)
You can activate up to three PS Vita or PS TV devices. For example you could activate 2 x PS Vita and 1 x PS TV, or any combo of the above.

If I have purchased PS VITA from Japan or PS TV from North America, can I use my European SEN account? (from EU FAQ, should be same in NA region)
From a customer services and compatibility point of view, we recommend that you purchase PS TV in the country you are based. (The answer is yes, but EU PS Store may not be available on PSTV until November)

Are games region locked? (from EU FAQ, should be same in NA region)
Gamecard and downloadable versions of games are not region locked. However, we would like customers to buy games which are sold in your country from a customer service and guarantee point of view. Also, there is a possibility that some of third party games may be region locked.

Can I use my PS Vita memory card with PS TV or do I need to purchase a separate memory card? (from EU FAQ, should be same in NA region)
You can use the same memory card if you have the same SEN account on your PS TV as on your PS Vita.

Will Gold Wireless Headset and PULSE wireless stereo headset – Elite Edition work on PS TV at launch in North America? What about other wireless headsets?
PS TV will not support the Gold Wireless Headset, Silver Headset, and Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset – Elite Edition. PS TV generally supports Bluetooth headsets, speakers, and keyboards.

Can I use my PS3 remote control on PS TV?
Yes, PS TV supports BD remote control (CECH-ZRC1).

Does PS TV support the PlayStation Move motion controller?
No.

Does PS TV support external HDMI-based game capture devices?
PS TV supports HDCP (copy protection). HDCP cannot be turned off.

Is it possible to charge a DualShock 3 or DualShock 4 controller via my PS TV when I’m not playing?
Yes, you can charge DualShock 3 or DualShock 4 wireless controllers when PS TV is in standby mode.

Can two people use my account’s content on two different PS TV systems at once?
Yes, this is supported.

What features will be available with PlayStation Plus on PS TV?
The following benefits will be available only to PlayStation Plus members on PS TV:
Instant Game Collection – Access to a regular, curated selection of titles made exclusively available to PlayStation Plus members at no additional cost.
Discounts – Members will have access to exclusive discounts on PlayStation Store.
Online Game Save – Members may automatically (or manually) upload game save files to Online Game Save Storage for safekeeping. Up to 1GB of cloud storage will be allocated to your PS TV save files.
Other benefits – Early access to exclusive game content, automatic game patch downloads and installation, and more.

Is PlayStation Plus necessary for multiplayer gameplay on PS TV?
No.

Does my Plus membership for PS4, PS3, or PS Vita systems still count for PS TV?
Yes. One PS Plus membership will continue to grant benefits for your PS4, PS3, and PS Vita system, even after you pick up a PS TV.

Will I be able to play MP3s on PS TV?
Yes. PS TV can play MP3 music that is stored on the memory card.

NA region specific:

quote:

Will PS TV require a system software update at launch in North America? How will system updates work post-launch?
Upon the North American launch, PS TV will require a system software update to add several new features. After you connect to the internet, you will need to sign into PSN, where you will receive a notification to update the system software. Click here for step-by-step instructions.

When will PlayStation Now launch on PlayStation TV?
PlayStation Now’s Open Beta for PS TV is scheduled to launch on October 14, 2014 to consumers in North America. It is also scheduled be available on PS Vita at this time. Service not available in all areas. See us.playstation.com/playstationnow for details.

What games will be available on PlayStation Now for PS TV?
The Open Beta will launch with over 150 PS3 titles. See the games library page for the latest updates.

What do I need to play PS Now on PS TV?
Users will need a steady broadband internet connection ranging between 5-12 Mbps and a SEN Account and a DualShock 3 or DualShock 4 controller.

EU region specific:

quote:

When does PS TV come out in the SCEE region?
14th November 2014

What comes in the PS TV box at launch?
PlayStation TV system, HDMI cable, AC adaptor, AC power cord, printed materials, digital download voucher for three games – Worms Revolution Extreme, Velocity Ultra and OlliOlli.

Will PS TV support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?
The Network Media Player (coming soon to PS TV and PS Vita) can be used to access media servers over a network. The Network Media Player can be used to view photos and stream music and videos from a media server located on your home network. You can also copy photos, music and video files from the media server to your system. (NA FAQ says there will be no support :raise:)

When will PlayStation Now launch on PlayStation TV?
PlayStation Now is not yet available in the PAL region. Further details will be confirmed at a later date.

Why are there differences between the regional compatible games lists?
While Sony Computer Entertainment is a global organisation, as a business we take every measure to provide for the local requirements of individual markets. As such there may be variations between game lists in different regions. (what a non-answer)

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 7, 2014

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just noticed Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time Vita version got an update that makes it playable on PS TV.

Has any other Vita games received PS TV support updates this week?

I read somewhere else that Killzone Mercenary got the PS TV support update as well.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 10, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Tales of Hearts R has been confirmed to work on Vita TV.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Yechezkel posted:

I just noticed Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time Vita version got an update that makes it playable on PS TV.

Has any other Vita games received PS TV support updates this week?

I read somewhere else that Killzone Mercenary got the PS TV support update as well.

i want to play silent hill, get on that poo poo konami

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any chance Gravity Rush or Uncharted will get patched? You figured they would been working when the Vita TV came out, but it still not changed. Sucks since I remember Gravity Rush's only had touch screen use on some a dodge roll.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rirse posted:

Any chance Gravity Rush or Uncharted will get patched? You figured they would been working when the Vita TV came out, but it still not changed. Sucks since I remember Gravity Rush's only had touch screen use on some a dodge roll.

Gravity Rush also uses the touchscreen for the Gravity Slide, where you press on both bottom corners to initiate it, then let go of one corner to drift. This would be fine if they assigned it to the L2/R2 buttons, but that would still leave the dodge roll unaccounted for. At that point the only buttons you could theoretically use would be the L3/R3 buttons, and that would be awkward at best.

Still better than it not being functional, though. :shrug:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

I'm really tempted to grab one of these even though I have no reason to. :(
I was the opposite. I bought a Vita to do PS4 stuff and then they announced this. :argh: Their decision to keep using their own stupidly expensive memory card format is going to cost them sales again though.

Knowing my luck I'll buy one to play PS1 / PS2 games, and then they'll announce a update to let the PS4 play them. :suicide:

No Soul Sacrifice though. :(

limited fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 12, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Soul Sacrifice is a compatible game in Japan (both vanilla and Delta) so maybe it'll get patched?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

univbee posted:

Soul Sacrifice is a compatible game in Japan (both vanilla and Delta) so maybe it'll get patched?
I think I'll wait for that first, rather than spending £85 on something I can't even play my favorite vita game on.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

limited posted:

I think I'll wait for that first, rather than spending £85 on something I can't even play my favorite vita game on.

Well, yeah, definitely don't buy it until the patch is settled.

I think I'm going to end up receiving mine late. Amazon :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Can anyone confirm/deny that the one that will be launched in North America is the same hardware as the Japanese one that I have?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny that the one that will be launched in North America is the same hardware as the Japanese one that I have?

Venturing a guess, I would assume it's the same except:

- A black case
- The Confirm/Cancel button assignment will be inverted

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Was Final Fantasy III on the PSP on the Japanese list? I noticed it missing on the official site list, which feels odd since you figured none of the PSP/PS1 games would have issues.

I do hope the Playstation TV does have the option to remap buttons on the PS1 games. I saw video of someone using the Vita TV with a PS1 game, and it had the lame PS3 options of "analog and digital".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rirse posted:

I do hope the Playstation TV does have the option to remap buttons on the PS1 games. I saw video of someone using the Vita TV with a PS1 game, and it had the lame PS3 options of "analog and digital".
I don't understand. PS3 and 4 controllers are almost identical in layout to a PS1 controller. Why would you want to remap?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't understand. PS3 and 4 controllers are almost identical in layout to a PS1 controller. Why would you want to remap?

For PS1 games with odd button layout and don't have analog support.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Did I misunderstand earlier in the thread or are PS4 games streamed to another TV elsewhere in the house really downgraded to 720p?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Did I misunderstand earlier in the thread or are PS4 games streamed to another TV elsewhere in the house really downgraded to 720p?

You're correct, they're dropped to 720p30.

• Locked thread