Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Didn't Lotus shed a huge amount of good employees essentially because they weren't getting paid? McLaren may be slow at the moment, but at least the guys at the factory get a paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Riso posted:

Who is the idiot that said Alonso to Williams? Both their drivers have been confirmed.

Not if Felipe has an another "accident".

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Riso posted:

Who is the idiot that said Alonso to Williams? Both their drivers have been confirmed.

I said the rumours were that Alonso could be going to Willaims. Don't blame me, Sky commentators said that. And like Brundle always said, contracts are made to be broken.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 12, 2014

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Jenson fitting into Herbert's spot quite nicely here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I said the rumours were that Alonso could be going to Lotus. Don't blame me, Sky commentators said that..

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

There is a rumour he could be going to Williams too.

And while contracts are often broken in F1, it doesn't generally happen within six weeks of them being signed. Williams cannot afford to pay Alonso, and definitely not if they're having to pay Bottas or Massa to sit out at least one year as well.

E: Will Buxton is claiming on Twitter that Alonso has said he won't be in a car with a Mercedes motor next year. So not Lotus, not Williams.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 12, 2014

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That dodgy looking bloke next to Putin was the King of Bahrain.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Jedit posted:

And while contracts are often broken in F1, it doesn't generally happen within six weeks of them being signed. Williams cannot afford to pay Alonso, and definitely not if they're having to pay Bottas or Massa to sit out at least one year as well.

Hey now everyone, don't shoot the messenger, blame Crofty :(

learnincurve posted:

That dodgy looking bloke next to Putin was the King of Bahrain.

Im surprised kim jong un didn't turn up there.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 12, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Rosberg apologising for the first corner to his team was brilliant.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What a horrible race in a horrible country.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Wirth1000 posted:

What a horrible race in a horrible country.

The absolute best thing about this race, intentional or not, was Lewis blanking Putin. He was more bothered about his pubic hair than the wrath of the ex leader of the KGB.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jedit posted:

E: Will Buxton is claiming on Twitter that Alonso has said he won't be in a car with a Mercedes motor next year. So not Lotus, not Williams.

Well, not Williams which we know. Lotus does not yet have a Mercedes engine so it would depend on what exact language Alonso used.

edit: it's Buxton's information vs Ted's. I'm going to go with Ted.

edit: Just thinking about it, really, Alonso + Flavio + Ron Dennis is the more believable scenario for people? Seriously.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 12, 2014

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Im surprised kim jong un didn't turn up there.

From what I've been reading his sister has been running the DPRK while he's been sick in bed.

Of course, getting accurate information about the internal politics of the DPRK is a crapshoot at best.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Well, not Williams which we know. Lotus does not yet have a Mercedes engine so it would depend on what exact language Alonso used.

edit: it's Buxton's information vs Ted's. I'm going to go with Ted.

edit: Just thinking about it, really, Alonso + Flavio + Ron Dennis is the more believable scenario for people? Seriously.

p sure buxton actually interviewed alonso on tv whereas ted is just spitballing

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
you could just watch

"so obvious"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tnrGz-lvJU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
lol if you actually watched this poo poo race

what a lovely season

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

El Hefe posted:

lol if you actually watched this poo poo race

what a lovely season

The season has been awesome. This race was complete wank though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
? That wasn't up when I posted.

He said "I don't think so", that still does not mean he isn't lying and going to Lotus or that he's not leaving to give his cycling team a go.

*shrugs

I can see him buying Lotus/a backmarker team or giving his cycling team a go before he and Flavio worked with Ron again. It's not exactly a Wild and Crazy opinion given the history.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

? That wasn't up when I posted.

He said "I don't think so", that still does not mean he isn't lying and going to Lotus or that he's not leaving to give his cycling team a go.

*shrugs

I can see him buying Lotus/a backmarker team or giving his cycling team a go before he and Flavio worked with Ron again. It's not exactly a Wild and Crazy opinion given the history.

ok yeah i agree that the video of him being interviewed and making clear statements is equally valid as the guy from sky saying a thing

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
But he's not making clear statements is he, that's the point. He's gone all mind games on us. Which if you go all serious like is a good thing because the guy really took Jules accident very hard and it's nice to see him looking less like they had to drag him out from under the covers to the track.

Eb
May 6, 2003
So "not Mercedes" and "obvious" can't mean he's staying at Ferrari?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

But he's not making clear statements is he, that's the point. He's gone all mind games on us. Which if you go all serious like is a good thing because the guy really took Jules accident very hard and it's nice to see him looking less like they had to drag him out from under the covers to the track.

you twat, i don't give a gently caress how vaguely he words his answers, he's still standing there on video saying he's not going to a mercedes team, vs ted whateverthefuck just saying "HEY GUYS WOULDNT IT BE NEAT IF FERNANDO WENT CYCLING INSTEAD." it's actual journalism vs loving around on sky for giggles. one of those two is more legitimate.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The season has been awesome. This race was complete wank though.

The only awesome thing about this season is Vettel finally being exposed as the fraud that he is

loving hell Webber was poo poo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

The only awesome thing about this season is Vettel finally being exposed as the fraud that he is

loving hell Webber was poo poo

ricciardo literally tried to do a "fernando is faster than you" on vettel today, it owned

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Three countries represented on the podium that Russia has been enemies with in the recent past (and still hate).

So is Putin a shortarse? He only seemed an inch or two taller than Bernie. Maybe they swapped tips on Short Man Syndrome and being evil dictators.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Haha don't you say this every race?

No :confused:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

serious gaylord posted:

Goons loving love to complain about everything and say they'll never watch it again just to do the entire process all over next time.

hahah those loving rascal goons

good thing I'm not one

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

I thought it was you who says almost every race 'Why did I get up so early to watch this poo poo because (insert reason here).

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Currently watching the British Touring Car Championship on ITV4 (my missus hates race weekends) and my god do I love me some Brands Hatch action. Best track in the world IMHO.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I thought it was you who says almost every race 'Why did I get up so early to watch this poo poo because (insert reason here).

I probably said that once or twice during one of the lovely races at China or something, they're all a kind of blur anymore.

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"
I thought Hamilton was making a strong political point by being the only driver not to shake Putin's hand at the weigh-in, but no, he was just anxious to check his hair in the reflective plastic sign on the wall first.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Buggerlugs posted:

I thought Hamilton was making a strong political point by being the only driver not to shake Putin's hand at the weigh-in, but no, he was just anxious to check his hair in the reflective plastic sign on the wall first.

Putin would have crushed him with his iron withering stare. Hamilton had no choice but to wimp out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Currently watching the British Touring Car Championship on ITV4 (my missus hates race weekends) and my god do I love me some Brands Hatch action. Best track in the world IMHO.

I love me some Colin Turks and I'm glad he won the title.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
lol, all those rumours about how McLaren shareholders are now trying to oust Ron out by increasing their own shares in the team is starting to get tasty. Mansour Ojjeh and the Bahraini scum are the ones trying to push it through and I can't help but think that Alonso is the one influencing this coup. Not to mention that Honda would absolutely love to have Alonso onboard as well so they'd just as well go with it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm going to stick with my lotus/own team be it cycling or racing theories, because however wrong it may turn out to be, they are the first original theories (see: yesterday, before the german press and ted thought of it) I've ever had in my life god drat it so I'm going to stick with it till the actual announcement is made.
I also don't mind nailing my colours to the wall and saying that Alonso to a Ron based McLaren is a stupid idea for all concerned and I don't want Jenson to be given zero time to either try and find a seat in a lovely backmarker team for next year or retire.

Anyway, I'm going to wash the lovely taste of this GP out of my mouth with the 2000 German GP and 1998 Belgian GP.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Wirth1000 posted:

lol, all those rumours about how McLaren shareholders are now trying to oust Ron out by increasing their own shares in the team is starting to get tasty. Mansour Ojjeh and the Bahraini scum are the ones trying to push it through and I can't help but think that Alonso is the one influencing this coup. Not to mention that Honda would absolutely love to have Alonso onboard as well so they'd just as well go with it.

McLaren would never see Ron leave especially as he was one of two people that built it to be what it is today. He is also one of, if not (next to Bernie) the most shrewdest and intelligent of businessmen in the paddock.
Never underestimate Ron Dennis.

e:also it must be stated that I am not by nature a McLaren fan. I support them only because of Are Jense, and it will be the only time I have ever supported them since I first started watching F1 way back in 79/80.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

McLaren would never see Ron leave especially as he was one of two people that built it to be what it is today. He is also one of, if not (next to Bernie) the most shrewdest and intelligent of businessmen in the paddock.
Never underestimate Ron Dennis.

Never underestimate business.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Wirth1000 posted:

Never underestimate business.

That's what I said?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Last time anyone got one over on Ron Dennis he sat back nice and quiet like in the road car department and waited and waited, then totally hosed over Martin Whitmarsh so hard he is now less employable in F1 than nelson piquet jr.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sad to say, this is Ron's Hundred Days, looks as if soon Alonso will get his revenge by putting the old fraud away for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How much does Ron still own of the McLaren group?

• Locked thread