Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

spoon0042 posted:

I remember liking the single malts from Connemara and Tullamore though I really should try them again. (Tullamore's is pretty cheap, which is nice. :)) Basically I don't get the whole "triple distilled" thing which I have trouble seeing as anything but killing interesting flavor. Tullamore's standard offering isn't bad when I'm feeling cheap, too.

The more neutral spirit that serves as the base for Irish whiskeys is great for showcasing the effects of things like peat smoking, barrel aging and finishing. Connemara and Tullamore 10 Single Malt are basically canvases for peat and oak, respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

spoon0042 posted:

I remember liking the single malts from Connemara and Tullamore though I really should try them again. (Tullamore's is pretty cheap, which is nice. :)) Basically I don't get the whole "triple distilled" thing which I have trouble seeing as anything but killing interesting flavor. Tullamore's standard offering isn't bad when I'm feeling cheap, too.

Interesting, I like the cheap tullamore, might hve to pick up the single malt. Thanks.

rahven
Jul 25, 2003
I tried Black Maple Hill at a bar this past weekend and loved it.

I've been on a quest to find it since then with no luck.

Does anyone know the best bet to find it in or near NC?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I live in Cincinnati (relatively close to Bourbon country), and I have a hard time tracking it down around here. Your best bet for finding it may be online...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

spoon0042 posted:

Distillation happens before aging, it removes unpleasant flavors.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The style of Irish whiskey in general is lighter and more subtle than it's Scottish counterpart. This is to a large degree due to the triple distillation.

You could argue it removes flavours (it does) but it's just part of the style and tradition of Irish whiskey so it's not a bad thing at all.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

wormil posted:

Distillation happens before aging, it removes unpleasant flavors.

Also pleasant flavors.

Apparently John Powers is $34 for a 750 now in California? That's silly. For that price I'll pay the extra 8-10 bucks for Redbreast or Bushmills 10.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

GEEKABALL posted:

Also, you were right about the Black Bottle, it is gone and I did not stock up :negative:

It's a shame the new one isn't in the same class. I've still got a few bottles of the Black Bottle 10 y/o which is all kinds of awesome. I guess my go to Blend now would be Baillie Nicol Jarvie but that's not especially cheap.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

biglads posted:

It's a shame the new one isn't in the same class. I've still got a few bottles of the Black Bottle 10 y/o which is all kinds of awesome. I guess my go to Blend now would be Baillie Nicol Jarvie but that's not especially cheap.

Ballantines is a good go-to blend also. But again it's not that cheap.

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
black bull 12 is a great blend as well as anything that compass box makes.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

If money is no object then I'd probably go for the Hibiki 30.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

If money is a little bit of an object, all of the Hibiki or Taketsuru (Nikka) blends are fantastic.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I really like Nikka Whisky from the Barrel.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Wachter posted:

I really like Nikka Whisky from the Barrel.

I've heard a lot of good things about it, especially for something blended with grain whisky.

They had a bottle of Chichibu "The First" at Binny's a few weeks ago, and I was pretty tempted, even at $220. I'm hoping we can get a wider range of Japanese stuff in the states soon.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

How exactly am I supposed to find out if the BTAC is going to come to Ohio/Michigan? Really want to track down some Saz 18.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

good jovi posted:

They had a bottle of Chichibu "The First" at Binny's a few weeks ago, and I was pretty tempted, even at $220. I'm hoping we can get a wider range of Japanese stuff in the states soon.

I don't think I've had that Chichibu, but all of the ones I have had are good. I especially liked Chibidaru.
EDIT : All the Hanyu I have tried was good too, but the prices are going crazy now.

biglads fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 3, 2014

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

I've got some friends over for my birthday weekend to help me kill off some bottles I just can't let go of. The Supernova was definitely the star of the show (so to speak). Nine hours and a different whisky later, I can still taste it. Obviously super peaty, but with this parallel current of sweetness that made it surprisingly drinkable. Just spectacular stuff.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
This month's sale purchase is Clyde May's (Alabama Style) Whiskey. Distilled in Kentucky so may actually qualify as Bourbon, who knows.

Like the label says, tastes oddly of apples. Pretty good.

e: vv yeah I tend to forget that Bourbon can technically be distilled anywhere. They bother to mention Kentucky on the label though.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 4, 2014

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
So long as it meets these requirments, it's Bourbon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey#Legal_requirements

My budget mixer, Cougar (an Australian/New Zealand-only export brand) is distilled in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Not really one for sipping neat, but makes for a decent cocktail.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So my roommate and I wound up going to the liquor store and went on a small spending spree a week or so ago. Please note the Peeps in the background.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

I'm super excited today because I found a single remaining bottle of pre-relaunch Black Bottle at a local liquor store.

For those not in the know, Black Bottle was a tasty, reasonably priced Islay-based blend that used to be universally beloved around these parts. About a year ago, however, the company behind it relaunched the brand as a Speyside-based blend (in other words, a JW Red clone/competitor, most likely because stocks of young cheap Islay whiskey are becoming harder to come by), and it kind of sucks now.

Has anyone else seen the old bottles around?

E: Durr there was apparently a discussion on the last page that I missed.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The owner at my local liquor store says he'll custom order from his Gordon and McPhail distributor. Any recommendations on good G&M bottlings out there at the moment? The peatier the better.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Caddrel posted:

The owner at my local liquor store says he'll custom order from his Gordon and McPhail distributor. Any recommendations on good G&M bottlings out there at the moment? The peatier the better.

G&M had a pretty decent stock of aged Ardbegs from memory. You better have a deep wallet.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Caddrel posted:

Check out the new Benromach expressions (the ones with the really ugly bottles). They're not G&M bottlings, but G&M owns Benromach. It's Speyside, but apparently back in the the day, Speyside stuff was all peated, so they're trying to bring that back.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I'm super excited today because I found a single remaining bottle of pre-relaunch Black Bottle at a local liquor store.

For those not in the know, Black Bottle was a tasty, reasonably priced Islay-based blend that used to be universally beloved around these parts. About a year ago, however, the company behind it relaunched the brand as a Speyside-based blend (in other words, a JW Red clone/competitor, most likely because stocks of young cheap Islay whiskey are becoming harder to come by), and it kind of sucks now.

Has anyone else seen the old bottles around?
I tracked down a few this week...

... I may have gone a bit overboard.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Good man.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My wife has been reading the Outlander books and is now sniffing around my scotch collection. However, I largely drink Isleys and that is very much not her thing (yet anyways.)

Anyone able to make a recommendation for something a bit more subtle or suitable for a beginner? Would like to find something she does not want to mix with fruit juice, forcing me to file for divorce.

I was thinking of starting her with Jameson or Glenlivet, but was interested if there was a better starting point.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

ocrumsprug posted:

My wife has been reading the Outlander books and is now sniffing around my scotch collection. However, I largely drink Isleys and that is very much not her thing (yet anyways.)

Anyone able to make a recommendation for something a bit more subtle or suitable for a beginner? Would like to find something she does not want to mix with fruit juice, forcing me to file for divorce.

I was thinking of starting her with Jameson or Glenlivet, but was interested if there was a better starting point.

Glenlivet 15 French Oak is my standard recommendation. Glenfidditch 12 if you can't find that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Big difference between Jameson and Glenlivet, go with the latter, much smoother.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

Balvenie Doublewood is a good one as well as the other recommendations

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

biglads posted:

Seconding this.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

It looks like Outlander mostly takes place in the highlands, so maybe get something like a Glenmorangie to really play up the connection. That said, Glenlivet and Balvenie are speysides, which is within the highland region, so you could totally just fudge it and say its from the same area.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

biglads posted:

Was going to suggest this as well.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I was thinking of getting a bottle of the new Dark Origins for my brother for Christmas as he's a huge Highland Park fan -- is it any good?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can we talk bourbon here? I normally drink mine neat, but my wife got me a bottle of Bookers and it's 130 proof. Obviously I need to cut it with something, so I suppose I can just water it down, but is there a higher and better use than that?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can we talk bourbon here? I normally drink mine neat, but my wife got me a bottle of Bookers and it's 130 proof. Obviously I need to cut it with something, so I suppose I can just water it down, but is there a higher and better use than that?

Nobody's gonna give you poo poo for adding a splash of water to a high-proof whisky. Even at 40%, a little water is sometimes nice. As for adding anything other than water, well...it's your booze.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Sounds great. Add just enough water to tame the burn so that you can taste the bourbon. Room temp distilled water for :spergin:, or let some ice melt if you're a heathen like me.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

just use some bottled water

i use tap water but ours isn't chlorinated or fluoridated

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I toss in a cube and ease into the melt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Bunk Rogers posted:

I toss in a cube and ease into the melt.

At 65% I'd use more than one, personally, and start drinking it more quickly once it starts to get amazing.