Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Does a USB 3.0 slot require a USB 3.0 extension cable to operate at full speed? I've got a few generic (unlabeled) extension cables, so I'm hoping I can use them instead of buying a 3.0-specific cable.

There are two 3.0 slots on the back of my PC and none in the front, which is why I need the extension. Trying to google this quesiton only brings up places to buy a 3.0-specific cable.

Thanks!

Edit-- I'm dumb, and didn't read the thread. The last few posts on page 3 answered this, there are extra pins on 3.0 that wouldn't be there on an older extension cable.

CloFan fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CloFan posted:

Does a USB 3.0 slot require a USB 3.0 extension cable to operate at full speed?

Yes

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a general trend/focus in components to reduce energy use? In newer CPUs and GPUs I'm seeing that they use less energy while delivering more performance. Is this an effect of a concentrated effort to reduce power consumption or is it just a side effect of changing technology?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Massasoit posted:

Is there a general trend/focus in components to reduce energy use? In newer CPUs and GPUs I'm seeing that they use less energy while delivering more performance. Is this an effect of a concentrated effort to reduce power consumption or is it just a side effect of changing technology?

Concentrated effort, definitely. As laptops, tablets, and phones have increased in popularity, the priority has shifted towards doing more within a fixed budget for heat and power.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Factory Factory posted:

Massasoit posted:

Concentrated effort, definitely. As laptops, tablets, and phones have increased in popularity, the priority has shifted towards doing more within a fixed budget for heat and power.

Which in turn results in a longer battery life for those types of devices. :science: There's also the big push for enterprise to virtualize as much as possible onto the most power-efficient setups possible to save money.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have an old PC (HPZ600 Workstation, 1st generation Nehalem processor) that I want to add more storage to. Some questions:

1. How do I know if it's subject to the 2.2TB limit? It's a SATA-II chipset if that's a big clue.
2. If it's subject to to the 2.2TB limit, will there be any issues installing larger drives other than some of it is inaccessible?
3. If it's subject to the 2.2TB limit, can I get around this by using a 3rd party controller?

Thanks in advance.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a headset with mic for under $60? Everything on Newegg is pretty similiar and all the reviews cite the same durability / comfort issues.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hey guys, I have an AMD HD6570 video card, and all of a sudden a few minutes ago my computer shut down by itself. Opened it up, something smelled a little burnt - powered it off, vacuumed everything, and on boot I noticed the video card fan isn't spinning. I can't seem to find info on whether it should spin automatically, but I suspect it should - what can I do about it? I was Hearthstoning away when it happened and now I'm afraid to fire it up.

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Injuryprone posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a headset with mic for under $60? Everything on Newegg is pretty similiar and all the reviews cite the same durability / comfort issues.

I would tend stay away from microphone headsets. You would get better for less by buying a headphone and microphone individually.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Mr Underhill posted:

Hey guys, I have an AMD HD6570 video card, and all of a sudden a few minutes ago my computer shut down by itself. Opened it up, something smelled a little burnt - powered it off, vacuumed everything, and on boot I noticed the video card fan isn't spinning. I can't seem to find info on whether it should spin automatically, but I suspect it should - what can I do about it? I was Hearthstoning away when it happened and now I'm afraid to fire it up.
The fan may have gotten jammed by a cable or something and burned out. Did the PC get to BIOS when you started it up? If it won't even POST it may be the card, board, or the PSU. If the PC POSTs properly it's probably just the fan, and your options are pretty much to replace the GPU cooler with something like one of the Arctic Cooling mono kits or just replace the card altogether. Just about anything from a gtx 650 on up will outperform it.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Could anyone recommend a good external hard drive for a macbook in the ~$100 range?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
My current setup is this:

240GB SSD: C: Windows OS
500GB HDD: D: Data

If I get a 1TB SSD, can I use imaging software to put both drives onto it and not have the OS freak out? I am probably going to use Clonezilla.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I would not try to do that automatically. You can image the SSD over, then just copy the contents of the hard drive, though.

If you SSD has NTFS junctions or symlinks, different programs will treat them differently. Clonezilla, I think, isn't aware of them, so if you have a symlink to a file on another drive, Clonezilla will copy the file, not the link. But I'm not sure this is consistent behavior and I wouldn't recommend relying on it.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I don't know if this'll sound a bit off or not, but are there any currently recommended models/brands of webcams and printers? For webcams, I just assume Logitech, but I don't know if buying an actual video camera would be a better investment? As for printers, I have no drat clue.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Injuryprone posted:

I would avoid the computer gamer market of headset/mic stuff. Corporations buy from outfits like Plantronics or Jabra. They're typically more expensive, but you can find older models for a reasonable price, and they're far more reliable/durable. They're also lightweight and ergonomic. They're used in call centers so they're designed to be comfortable to wear continuously for an 8-hour shift.

Keep in mind the audio quality is intended for good sound for IP telephony rather than listening to music: if you want hi fidelity headphones then Titor has it right, get separate headphones and mic. If you want hands-free IP telephony like with Skype, or you want to yell curse words at online people while you play MMOs, then a Plantronics or Jabra headset is a good choice.

I've been using a Plantronics GN2000 for about six years with no complaints.

Here's a $30 set on Amazon that has excellent reviews.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Touchfuzzy posted:

As for printers, I have no drat clue.

People tend to recommend Brother. I have one myself. $100 bucks for a full duplex networked laser printer is good to me. If you want to print photos, go to walgreens.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Jago posted:

People tend to recommend Brother. I have one myself. $100 bucks for a full duplex networked laser printer is good to me. If you want to print photos, go to walgreens.

I was going to say a Brother Laser. I have an ancient HL2070N and it's been flawless for like a decade now. I briefly had a job rolling out POS terminals and their backend systems and restaurants would have a similar Brother laser printer covered in years of fryer grease residue and still trucking along under a counter somewhere.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Touchfuzzy posted:

I don't know if this'll sound a bit off or not, but are there any currently recommended models/brands of webcams and printers? For webcams, I just assume Logitech, but I don't know if buying an actual video camera would be a better investment? As for printers, I have no drat clue.

I'd say a Logitech c920 and Brother 2270dw. Of course those are the items that I own. If you can stretch your budget the c920 is really nice webcam otherwise any of the ~$40 Logitech webcams will be fine. The Brother is a great laser printer you can regularly find under $100

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Touchfuzzy posted:

The Printer Questions Megathread

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Leperflesh posted:

I would avoid the computer gamer market of headset/mic stuff. Corporations buy from outfits like Plantronics or Jabra. They're typically more expensive, but you can find older models for a reasonable price, and they're far more reliable/durable. They're also lightweight and ergonomic. They're used in call centers so they're designed to be comfortable to wear continuously for an 8-hour shift.

Keep in mind the audio quality is intended for good sound for IP telephony rather than listening to music: if you want hi fidelity headphones then Titor has it right, get separate headphones and mic. If you want hands-free IP telephony like with Skype, or you want to yell curse words at online people while you play MMOs, then a Plantronics or Jabra headset is a good choice.

I've been using a Plantronics GN2000 for about six years with no complaints.

Here's a $30 set on Amazon that has excellent reviews.

Thanks! I do in fact want to yell at my friends.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Factory Factory posted:

I would not try to do that automatically. You can image the SSD over, then just copy the contents of the hard drive, though.

If you SSD has NTFS junctions or symlinks, different programs will treat them differently. Clonezilla, I think, isn't aware of them, so if you have a symlink to a file on another drive, Clonezilla will copy the file, not the link. But I'm not sure this is consistent behavior and I wouldn't recommend relying on it.

Dang, I didn't think/know that Clonezilla had issues with junctions and symlinks. I've imaged my SSD before but never restored it, so I guess I wouldn't have found out. Luckily, my cross-drive junctions are all Steam games, so I could just uninstall and reinstall them if necessary.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

In terms of 7.1 gaming headsets, the Logitech G930 is number 1 on Amazon. Is that the one to get?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I have one and it's pretty awesome, but I got it a year ago on sale from amazon or newegg for like $90, not sure I'd pay $110 for it, that seems a little steep and there might be other competition at that price range? I just knew there was no way anything would beat it at the sale price.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Alan_Shore posted:

In terms of 7.1 gaming headsets, the Logitech G930 is number 1 on Amazon. Is that the one to get?
That sounds like more of a question for Inspect Your Gadgets. Note that 7.1/surround sound aren't real features when it comes to headphones, you only have two ears and your source will be able to generate stereo or do smart downmixing for you.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Alereon posted:

That sounds like more of a question for Inspect Your Gadgets. Note that 7.1/surround sound aren't real features when it comes to headphones, you only have two ears and your source will be able to generate stereo or do smart downmixing for you.

Not only has positional audio simulation via DSP been a thing since the 90s, but some headphones actually do have full sets of surround drivers in them.

We only have two ears, yet they are nevertheless capable of hearing position in 3D space. With control of the source and environment (e.g. in a closed earphone cup) you can do the same thing with the source that the receivers do.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

7.1 refers to three drivers on each side, one in the center front, and a subwoofer. I don't think headphones can possibly be 7.1, even if they have multiple drivers on each side, because they cannot have a single central channel.

They can simulate a 7.1-like experience, perhaps so well that a listener couldn't tell the difference, but if headphone makers are using 7.1 as a descriptor that's kind of stupid.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Factory Factory posted:

Not only has positional audio simulation via DSP been a thing since the 90s, but some headphones actually do have full sets of surround drivers in them.

We only have two ears, yet they are nevertheless capable of hearing position in 3D space. With control of the source and environment (e.g. in a closed earphone cup) you can do the same thing with the source that the receivers do.

I have two or three old Aureal Vortex a3d sound cards. It was a great technology killed off presumably by people who want to sell more physical speakers.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Rexxed posted:

It was a great technology killed off presumably by people who want to sell more physical speakers. Creative Labs

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
What's a good model and price point for a used ipad? For kids playing games and wife doing recipes. Kids already have kindles, so wife probably primary user. Reading craigslist and amazon the prices seem all over the place. First-gens are still like $300 used? Really? Also I wifi only is fine/preferred. Do I need a 2 or 3 or "air" whatever that is (4?) or would a first gen handle basic web browsing and the reflex math app?

TIA

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

pr0k posted:

What's a good model and price point for a used ipad? For kids playing games and wife doing recipes. Kids already have kindles, so wife probably primary user. Reading craigslist and amazon the prices seem all over the place. First-gens are still like $300 used? Really? Also I wifi only is fine/preferred. Do I need a 2 or 3 or "air" whatever that is (4?) or would a first gen handle basic web browsing and the reflex math app?

TIA
Probably have better luck checking in IYG:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3587386

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

pr0k posted:

TIA

Don't, under any circumstances, buy a first - gen iPad.
They're stuck on some ridiculously ancient iOS version (5?) because Apple hamstrung the drat thing with 256mb of RAM. This results in many apps not being able to run, constant browser crashes and other fuckery.

My GF and my parents each have one and it's too bad about the RAM, 'cause otherwise they still look/work great. A second- gen example is a decent purchase on the used market, but I wouldn't pay more than about $250 for one, and it would have to be a cream puff to be worth even that much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wait 2 days in any case because the announcement of new ones is going to change the pricing.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

To clarify, because human beings have only two ears, stereo headphones provide perfect 3D audio. Adding additional drivers or surround processing destroys the 3D positional audio effect, it does not enhance it. Essentially what you're doing in that case is removing the 3D audio information that exists in the stereo signal and then attempting to simulate it by adding delay and reverb or piping it out of additional drivers, which is only a pale imitation of the information you threw away that already told your brain where the sound was coming from.

Here's an example of the kind of excellent 3D audio you can experience with stereo audio through headphones, close your eyes and you should be able to tell where around your head the match or matchbox is: (sorry to link an ASMR video, this is the best example of the match demo I could find)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2TGd6LvHpg

The way this actually works is that the shape of your head and ears subtly alters the sound you hear based on the direction it comes from. These subtle alterations are called Head-Related Transfer Functions, or HRTFs. These are taken into account to at least some extent when audio is rendered or mixed to stereo, so if you're listening to a good quality stereo audio signal from headphones you'll get an EXCELLENT 3D audio experience. This DOESN'T happen with surround sound, because instead we use separate drivers to actually produce the sound from somewhere near where it should seem like it is coming from. This can work okay enough with surround speakers, but when you're relying on cramming multiple drivers into headphones or doing simplistic reverb+delay processing on a DSP, you're giving up a lot compared to the audio you started with.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I can only hear the 3D audio positioned behind me, is it supposed to work in front as well?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

MrMoo posted:

I can only hear the 3D audio positioned behind me, is it supposed to work in front as well?
It's MUCH harder to get good center/front positioning because this is where the HRTFs have the smallest effect on the sound, the differences in HRTFs between individual people are the greatest, and the difference in signal each ear receives is minimal. It's actually hard for you to tell where real sounds are coming from without being able to move your head and body and notice how the sound changes.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Thank you all, this is exactly why I ask SA when I need reliable info.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I need a decent Flatbed Scanner that can scan plastic Microfiche in detail but also do the regular scanning jobs for under £100, cheaper the better really. Any recommendations?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Alereon posted:

surround processing destroys the 3D positional audio effect, it does not enhance it.

Head-Related Transfer Functions
I assumed he was already referring to the latter, because without any kind of "surround processing" all you have from stereo headphones is "left" and "right". I think you're saying it's stupid to further/reprocess something from a movie or game engine that has already taken these effects into account, but that should be a given... and basically in any situation I can imagine where that kind of processing would be useful (beyond what the source itself is trying to put out), the audio source is probably sloppy enough that there's no way you're going to have the proper positioning and environmental info anyway.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Wow, that got technical really fast! So it sounds like for the same price I should be looking at a stereo gaming headset instead, or that there won't be much difference in it either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Alternatively just get a good pair of headphones and a separate microphone - problem solved. It's too bad you can't buy the USB Logitech deskmics anymore as they were decent enough for skype and gaming usage for the price.