Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
What's more important, being mad at someone over a game, or a hot korean boyfriend...the answer may surprise you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Aww, I expected more from the main game.

I like that they had the completely wrong read on the cute chanel girl (still bad with names). "She's blushing and awkward and avoiding us, she must be the leader!", while Hyunmin went under the radar by interacting with the criminals a lot. Also, way to disprove 2/3rds of my tentative contenders list, psych dude and poker dude got played like a fiddle.

Yongsuk getting the foreboding dark music from Dexter while he threatened people was an inspired music choice. Still no Extreme Ways. Hopefully they're saving it for a mindblowing moment. I didn't see the draw play coming, but my brain spends most of the deathmatches figuring out how the players will react/if someone double-crossed them instead of thinking about the rules. I felt sorry for the guy that lost and his super-awkward crush on the announcer. That was the best segment of this episode, by the way.

I came out of E2 with a lot more respect for Hyunmin (so much that I remember his name now) and a lot less for all the dudes on the criminal team for the awful, awful play. Next week's game sounds interesting, I love the unique-skill games and it seems like Hweejong is slipping back to his jerk origins.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

What's more important, being mad at someone over a game, or a hot korean boyfriend...the answer may surprise you.
Surely she can do better than that squirrely bastard.

Really, I'm just upset because I think she's too good for him. :colbert:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 12, 2014

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
He's definitely good looking.

Also it's not really all of their faults it went the way it did. It's really all Yongsuk's fault. What else could they do, not go with him when he called them all away? The citizen leader already knew who they all were, and didn't they not know their own leader?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dias posted:

I think the criminals were disorganized. They weren't good at concealing themselves at first and then decided to go for a win by figuring out the leader rather than playing the larger game. Then they went about that process all wrong, essentially handing over information to everyone even when they didn't intend to. And after they're already heavily set up to fail, Yongsuk just hands victory to the citizens.

I wouldn't object to seeing this game come back in season four since it's almost a pure psychology game and has a lot of variability in how people play.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't under why Ahyoung was helping Kyunghoon. Sure, he has a crush on her, but surely she can't have a crush on him. He's a traitorous bastard who has no dignity, begging for help, and got mad and people who wouldn't help him. And it's not like he's especially attractive.

Yeah, I didn't think much of him when he took the win last week for no good reason and put a mark on his back. Then this week he was being a jerk when people wouldn't help him. The crush side story was really cute though, and he got some points when he said watching the Genius when he was in the US was the highlight of his week :3:

In the week since the first episode, Ahyoung either looked him up on a Korean social network or (more likely) Kyunghoon added her as a friend. But at least she remembered that there was a girl in his photo, so hey that's something

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 12, 2014

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Dias posted:

I like that they had the completely wrong read on the cute chanel girl (still bad with names). "She's blushing and awkward and avoiding us, she must be the leader!", while Hyunmin went under the radar by interacting with the criminals a lot. Also, way to disprove 2/3rds of my tentative contenders list, psych dude and poker dude got played like a fiddle.

Yeah, The only thing that I'm still curious about from the episode is why Yeonjoo started cackling like mad after receiving an ordinary citizen card. I was really expecting a cutaway revealing that Dogmin or somebody told her to do it.

As for the rest of the episode very solid, Lawyer Kang f'd up but managed to redeem himself immediately, Hyunmin proves to be on the ball, and I think the duo of Dogmin and Hweegong are playing very well in the meta game. What I mean about that is they playing safe while getting a reputation for honesty with being upfront with Lawyer Kang last week and this week in the deliberations for choosing who to send to the deathmatch it was all about who to help 'is there anybody you want to help?', as opposed to others who were more interested in who wronged them. Can't wait for next week

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
He's handsome, he just has really dumb pants.

So how awkward is watching this episode going to be for Ahyoung? :haw:

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

some credit has to go to Yeonjoo as well for throwing everyone off with her overacting.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The win condition for the main match was kind of strange. Any non-leader criminal wants to get on a jury and then vote NG, because it doesn't matter much if they get outed, as long as they can get to three wins. They want to stay as far away from the criminal leader as possible, too. That makes it a fairly tough 1-in-8 [or 7] guess for the citizens, although if the citizen leader claims one of the criminals can just counterclaim.

I did like that Yeonjoo knew how to play the game as a citizen. Her comment revealed that she was aware the criminals know she's not one of them, and her every effort should be to make them think she's the citizen leader.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kangra posted:

The win condition for the main match was kind of strange. Any non-leader criminal wants to get on a jury and then vote NG, because it doesn't matter much if they get outed, as long as they can get to three wins. They want to stay as far away from the criminal leader as possible, too. That makes it a fairly tough 1-in-8 [or 7] guess for the citizens, although if the citizen leader claims one of the criminals can just counterclaim.

The thing for the criminal team is that it does matter if they get outed, though the players in the episode thought it didn't. For one thing, you're getting the citizens to lock you out of the jury since they have to be approved. Getting into a position where the citizen leader can give themselves away to say, "Get them!" doesn't work either.

Think about it this way. If you're the criminal leader and are about to be outed by the citizen leader, you still cannot be sure who the citizen leader is. You cannot pre-emptively say, "They're the criminal leader!" because if you don't say the citizen leader the citizen leader is going to speak up and say, "Nuh-uh!" and the game is up.

There really are two simultaneous games being played and the one that's good for the ultimate victory is much harder to win when you have to get it, assuming that the other team doesn't just hand you the answer.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Even without simply throwing the game like what happened, the game was still tilted heavily in the citizen team's favor. The citizen team effectively has all the information, and the criminal team doesn't have any. The citizen team also has the upper hand in terms of just numbers. The criminal team would have to pull their cards off right, and also hide the leader. That's going to be near impossible to pull off.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Asiina posted:

Yongsuk is all "of course I'll win if the game is about persuation" immediately followed by him threatening everyone. I'm surprised and disappointed anyone told him anything.

I thought it was hilarious and they lost an opportunity to frame Kan as a true criminal leader.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Even without simply throwing the game like what happened, the game was still tilted heavily in the citizen team's favor. The citizen team effectively has all the information, and the criminal team doesn't have any. The citizen team also has the upper hand in terms of just numbers. The criminal team would have to pull their cards off right, and also hide the leader. That's going to be near impossible to pull off.

Agree that the game seemed really stacked against criminal team. It depended a lot on the citizen leader, who could have played it smart (which happened) or played it really stupidly (which would take a complete imbecile to happen). Since citizen leader played it smart, they didn't even have a chance in the majority vote on jury members.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Even if the criminal team did gently caress up huge, Hyunmin's final strategy was still pretty awesome and it was really impressive how quickly he relayed his plan to the village and got them on his side.

Did anyone catch this following the reveal of his plan but before the village team had actually won? I mean, it was obvious village had won but this pretty much threw away all doubts that there was another turnaround by mafia. Nice job genius editors.

I can't believe more people aren't siding against Yongsuk for his threatening of all the team players, it left a really bad taste in my mouth. There was no bartering, no persuasion, just threats. What's more irritating is that none of the people he threatened thought, "gently caress this guy, threaten me and I'll gently caress you over", and then side with Kyunghoon or even just simply betray Yongsuk. Does he just get away with being a general arsehole outside of the show and then pulling poo poo like this cos he's an old guy in Korea? The same poo poo happened with Gura, he treated everyone like poo poo and then everyone cried when he got kicked off.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yongsuk is super cool because he's sort of playing the villain but an entirely honest one.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Also Kyunghoon was a fucker

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Factor Mystic posted:

Hyunmin for episode MVP for remembering how the Main Match ACTUALLY ends. Almost but not quite an Extreme Ways moment.

It could've been an Extreme Ways moment if he was snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, but snatching a 100% chance of victory from a 96% chance of victory isn't quite as dramatic.

I still think his play exemplary though. Tricked all the criminals, subtly nudged the jury towards a full field of citizens and then switched strategy immediately when he noticed the criminal leader. It was made easier by other people messing up, but still I think he played it the exact right way.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sharktamer posted:

Even if the criminal team did gently caress up huge, Hyunmin's final strategy was still pretty awesome and it was really impressive how quickly he relayed his plan to the village and got them on his side.

Did anyone catch this following the reveal of his plan but before the village team had actually won? I mean, it was obvious village had won but this pretty much threw away all doubts that there was another turnaround by mafia. Nice job genius editors.

I can't believe more people aren't siding against Yongsuk for his threatening of all the team players, it left a really bad taste in my mouth. There was no bartering, no persuasion, just threats. What's more irritating is that none of the people he threatened thought, "gently caress this guy, threaten me and I'll gently caress you over", and then side with Kyunghoon or even just simply betray Yongsuk. Does he just get away with being a general arsehole outside of the show and then pulling poo poo like this cos he's an old guy in Korea? The same poo poo happened with Gura, he treated everyone like poo poo and then everyone cried when he got kicked off.

well, he has sued people for joking about him and he's in politics. people might just be afraid. i imagine it will end up costing him though. criminals were pretty dumb this match. the only one who even tried to do something smart was the comics guy.

yeonyoo's clothing was weird.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yongsuk is a loving boss. He's got his eye on the prize even if he hosed up on the main match. Kyunghoon was all sad and pathetic this episode and annoying. Sorry guys but the right man won.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yongsuk is super cool because he's sort of playing the villain but an entirely honest one.

William Shakespeare posted:

I had rather be a canker in a hedge than a rose in his grace, and it better fits my blood to be disdained of all than to fashion a carriage to rob love from any: in this, though I cannot be said to be a flattering honest man, it must not be denied but I am a plain-dealing villain. I am trusted with a muzzle and enfranchised with a clog; therefore I have decreed not to sing in my cage. If I had my mouth, I would bite; if I had my liberty, I would do my liking: in the meantime let me be that I am and seek not to alter me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Dongmin is officially my favorite because he plays Resistance: Avalon the exact same way I do :allears:

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

The criminals played like absolute poo poo in the main match, but the game itself was too heavily weighted toward the citizens anyway, I think- they had the greater numbers, so it would have made sense to leave out the criminal leader completely and just have the citizens playing to win the game. They just took Resistance: Avalon and kind of busted it to allow the citizens exploitative plays which eventually led to the game's outcome. It might have worked in practice if the criminals weren't playing so obviously and trying to cut deals, but I think the game was probably just busted from the start.

Also disappointed nobody tried sabotaging Yongsuk for his bald-faced threatening- I'd rather be going up against goober Kyunghoon than Yongsuk in main matches down the line.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
I agree with the general sentiment regarding the main match, the modifications made to The Resistance: Avalon used to adapt it for the show made it a bit of a weaker game overall. I suspected that the fact that people were allowed to have private conversation would come into play (in the card game all talk should be at the table), but admittedly, it didn't come into play in the way I expected. Still, the original game can be kind of swingy anyways, so it's not entirely unexpected that things ended up unbalanced. But the citizen team did have a few too many advantages.

As for the deathmatch, I was pleasantly surprised by it. Better than the analogous games from previous seasons (I'm mostly thinking of Sun, Moon, Star), I'd say. As good as this game ended up in practice, I still do prefer the straight 1:1 deathmatch battles.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Bobby The Rookie posted:

The criminals played like absolute poo poo in the main match, but the game itself was too heavily weighted toward the citizens anyway, I think- they had the greater numbers, so it would have made sense to leave out the criminal leader completely and just have the citizens playing to win the game. They just took Resistance: Avalon and kind of busted it to allow the citizens exploitative plays which eventually led to the game's outcome. It might have worked in practice if the criminals weren't playing so obviously and trying to cut deals, but I think the game was probably just busted from the start.

Also disappointed nobody tried sabotaging Yongsuk for his bald-faced threatening- I'd rather be going up against goober Kyunghoon than Yongsuk in main matches down the line.

I think the biggest problem was the drawing of lots to decide the order of the foreman who selects the jury. None of the criminals were foremen early on so they were locked out of any chance of influencing the jury selection since they both couldn't select a jury and were a minority who needed to convince two citizens to vote against a selection that was beneficial to them.

If things weren't like this then the leader of the citizens would have to do a lot more work to influence the jury selection and they would've had a bigger chance of being found out.

edit: forgot spoilers

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've always hated that monologue.

But if you're going to post if you might as well post it being delivered by an actor worthy of it.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I think Hweejong was bullseye when he said that Kyunghoon was being overly competitive (and thus kind of pathetic because of it).

sharktamer posted:

The same poo poo happened with Gura, he treated everyone like poo poo and then everyone cried when he got kicked off.

To be fair Gura was an interesting scheming bastard. He was a moody rear end only in the last episode he was in for whatever reason.

Even if it was a little uncomfortable given his reputation, I thought Kang made a good move with his "you're playing this game wrong, if I survive I'll get you" threats. He wasn't even asking for total loyalty, he just wanted them to be neutral (or in other words, not actively gently caress him). It's not much different than how Kyunghoon made Ahyoung uncomfortable the whole episode to be on his side really, Kang was just a heck more efficient about it.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Kyunghoon was the worst player of the bunch, good riddance

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Did anybody actually want Kyunghoon to survive? He was creepy and also a bad player all around.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I didn't think he was particularly creepy

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah he was real creepy the way he kept asking Ahyoung for favors. poo poo was just weird man, especially after he hosed her over in the last episode.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah he was real creepy the way he kept asking Ahyoung for favors. poo poo was just weird man, especially after he hosed her over in the last episode.

Got to say I thought it odd that he betrayed for no reason a girl he clearly had a crush on, and then ended up giving her the extra garnet his irrational betrayal "won" him anyway.

I enjoyed the episode. I generally hate deathmatches that are basically popularity contests, but this one at least had some interesting 1-1 strategy that could be (and ultimately was) employed. The main match was interesting enough, though I think it's time we get a game centered around individuals. "Extreme ways moments" happen a lot less in team matches, there's just too much reliance on alliances and betrayal.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I don't know if I would go as far as creepy, more along the lines of pathetic. It kinda felt like watching a retarded dog get kicked..

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Shakugan posted:

Got to say I thought it odd that he betrayed for no reason a girl he clearly had a crush on, and then ended up giving her the extra garnet his irrational betrayal "won" him anyway.

I enjoyed the episode. I generally hate deathmatches that are basically popularity contests, but this one at least had some interesting 1-1 strategy that could be (and ultimately was) employed. The main match was interesting enough, though I think it's time we get a game centered around individuals. "Extreme ways moments" happen a lot less in team matches, there's just too much reliance on alliances and betrayal.

He thought he'd betray everyone but give her the extra token, forgetting the fact that they were the only 2 with strawberry/melon so his betrayal was in fact 100% against her

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
He was talking to her most of the time because he was flirting because she was his bae (not hoobae)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

he wasn't creepy, just pathetic and terrible player and romancer. He would have never done anything interesting in the game

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I just showed my cousin some of the highlights of the Genius S1 (the Open/Pass episode, the Kong bean episode (he wanted to see the next episode after Open/Pass), and the 5:5 episode), and he really dug it. One hyung recruited to the cause!

Stuff he liked, for those curious:

-The incredibly attractive Korean women.
-Kyunran (probably messing up the spelling here, sorry) getting mad at everyone during the 5:5 game
-Jinho's Open Pass moment (This was particularly great, he flipped out nicely during the reveal).
-Jinho being awesome during 5:5, also Sangmin's in the moment questions to a lesser extent.
-Recognizing random music themes here and there

He definitely has mad respect for Jinho, in short. I've trained him well to be a Jinho fanboy like me.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 13, 2014

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Shakugan posted:

He never meant to gently caress her over in the first ep, he's just ultra terrible at the game. He figured he would take the win and give her the other immunity token, but he sucked at math. He even gave her a garnet this week for no reason as an apology.

I'm not particularly sad to see him go, though. He really sucks at these games and begging everyone around you seems like the worst strategy for success.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

qbert posted:

He never meant to gently caress her over in the first ep, he's just ultra terrible at the game. He figured he would take the win and give her the other immunity token, but he sucked at math. He even gave her a garnet this week for no reason as an apology.

I'm not particularly sad to see him go, though. He really sucks at these games and begging everyone around you seems like the worst strategy for success.

Unless your Boxer. Then you can use it for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Fantastic episode. Loving the season so far.

I found it odd that, in the beginning of the episode they still said you are playing for a total prize of $13,000 (or whatever the total garnet count was). I wonder what the twist is going to be that's going to put the garnets back in play.