Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ddraig posted:

I didn't expect a chopper to be called when I attacked the military outpost :catstare:

The military is a lot more active in Faction Wars. They can send squads out from their base in Cordon, and they randomly do flyovers of other areas outside Cordon. The latter they always seem to time at the worst possible moment. Also if you attack their base they'll send a chopper after you. So it's a good idea to bring a few squads with you and have a RPG or two on hand.

quote:

I have no idea what I'm doing with Faction War. I guess there are these little circle areas scattered around that I can control somehow, but that doesn't seem to be explained anywhere; I also picked up a follower who I have no idea how to command. Tried to join Duty, but I have to do stuff for them first to get them to like me, which is not easy since I didn't start with a gun and even a poo poo gun costs 200 more rubles than I have.

If you read the readme it includes an instruction manual.

The long and short of it though is that yellow circles represent generic locations of no note. At most they're used as a checkpoint. Blue circles represent resource points - IE areas that a faction can use to tech up. When a faction gets enough of them the members get a new tier of gear when reinforcements spawn in. Light blue circles are bases, which are spawn points and increase your maximum faction population.

There's a few hotkeys for followers. They're in the keybind menu. Alternatively you can use a radio. Which you should get anyways when joining a faction since it lets you call the nearest base for help. You start out with no gear unless you join the mercs, which gets you their default package. Mercs are actually your default faction until you get a level since canonically you work for them. At which point if you stay a loner you'll switch to that faction once you level up. Incidentally this means that so long as you haven't gone loner you can rejoin the merc faction without needing to prove yourself.

You start off with cash too. So one thing you might want to try is to buy a fresh hunting rifle and some ammo from the shop of whichever hub you start in. Then go make some supplies for yourself. Alternatively, if you're in a dangerous area like the swamp there will be plenty of corpses and jobs to take that will let you get properly outfitted as a newbie stalker.

Keep in mind that faction wars adds in some new quest givers and shops as well. Certain loners set up shops in areas and act as brokers too. They'll be very useful early on, or if you're wanting to go on long term expeditions deeper into the zone.

Ddraig posted:

With the faction war I can't really see anything that I think I'd like to see added, to be honest. It's very well put together and he's covered a lot of bases with it.

There's a few things. Mostly i'd like to see some sort of expansion of the map. You'd need to scale up the factional stuff like population a little bit but it's possible it could be done. Clear Sky is supposed to represent a time when everyone is cramped in a small area of the zone together, but honestly TFW uses it's own little canon anyways so who cares.

Imagine if there were running ground wars going in Pripyat or the Bar. Especially with the mod makers new system that lets snipers and stealth squads run around being a nuisance. :getin:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

Basically my strategy at the moment is to pick people off at long distances with a bolt action rifle, then go in with a shotgun to clear out any stragglers. Worked mainly ok, until I went for the Duty building in Agroprom (the former stalker base) and an emission occurred half way through. Cue me running all the way to the railway tunnel because it's the only safe spot I could find...

Then when I get back, past the piles of corpses, some more assholes have turned up so I'm taking them out aswell.

A burer did manage to get in and cause havoc among them so that was a good time. I also found a Sako TRG in a stash so I've upgraded that and it's beastly.

I have got the impression that the Defiance faction is one of the easier ones, since they're basically radical loners (and loners tend to turn up and help you out anyway, so it's sort of like you've got the backing of two factions)

Definitely gonna try the mercs next time. They sound like a fun experience.

Right now I'm uploading a full version with the fixes applied and a few minor extras.

These are:

* Modified maps to include smart terrain names. These aren't accurate since TFW has changed a few
* Clear Sky Ambient Audio Overhaul
* Extra guitar tracks.
* Monolith suicide. I ported this to Call of Pripyat, I've since downloaded a few Clear Sky mods that have ported my port to Clear Sky, so why not.
* Tons of dialog spell checking.
* OGSM Mutant abilities. Cats will make you tired (and possibly kill you if you're already extremely sleep deprived), Poltergeists will have their COP Scan effect, Pseudogiants emit radiation, controllers have a sound aura and pseudodogs have their old build attack added in. The faction combat has been revamped, mutants haven't really been touched in TFW.
* Permanent clock on your hud. Just a small QOL thing.

It's quite funny that poo poo like this is a common occurrence, where stalkers just throw themselves into the meat grinder:

e: Here it is! https://www.mediafire.com/?k7fk9i32dcc14el

Okay so does this require TFW installed beforehand or is it good as is?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Acquire Currency! posted:

Okay so does this require TFW installed beforehand or is it good as is?

The version I uploaded is the Faction War complete with the fixes added, so you're good to go.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

The version I uploaded is the Faction War complete with the fixes added, so you're good to go.

Very cool, thanks Ddraig!

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Some crazy-how I run the game on max and my graphics card's temperature runs at like 45c instead of 70c.

Also how the hell did I miss this version of TFW. It's insanely improved over the version I was using. I think it was mislabeled 3.7 and it was actually version 2 or something. Not to mention all the little things you added are just loving awesome.

Again, It's awesome there's a good, if not great modder playing this game. I know what it's like to be playing through a good game and being able to fix something you don't like. I'm not going to fiddle with X-Ray unless I want to go insane.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

NeoSeeker posted:

Again, It's awesome there's a good, if not great modder playing this game. I know what it's like to be playing through a good game and being able to fix something you don't like. I'm not going to fiddle with X-Ray unless I want to go insane.

Modding basic stuff is still very straightforward - even when it's obfuscated in some other call, you can still usually find what the game is pointing at to do various stuff in the various files in your gamedata folder. I think it's a relatively recent Russian mod that uses a second method of hampering player carry weight, hidden in what appear to be unrelated scripts, haha.

Won't help with LUA scripting, or really screwing with the game's code thanks to the source leak, but there is a tremendous amount of stuff you can change without knowing dick about the behind-the-scenes of the engine. It is amazingly modular, and uniquely versatile thanks to there being a really brilliant foundation to the engine itself in terms of the ideas they absolutely wanted to convey in gameplay. I can see why some teams want to stop working on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games and produce original content, but it's simultaneously an amazingly fun game and a really ballin' devkit :v:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My only major complaint so far is the huge, bizarre, invisible radiation packets on the road back to the garbage from cordon that's making it impossible to get up there.

E: what do the huge loud yellow screen effects mean? Other than me being dead shortly

frank.club fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 9, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
DOes the goon-preferred TFW version also fix the unavoidable grenade thing? Cause if that's gone I might just buy CS for it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Vorenus posted:

DOes the goon-preferred TFW version also fix the unavoidable grenade thing? Cause if that's gone I might just buy CS for it.

I think they just removed enemies throwing grenades altogether because I've played a good 10 hours and haven't been blown up by a single grenade. I haven't even seen one been thrown.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

I think they just removed enemies throwing grenades altogether because I've played a good 10 hours and haven't been blown up by a single grenade. I haven't even seen one been thrown.

Yeah the clear sky grenade rain is gone. In all honesty TFW goon approved version is one of the best stalker experiences I've ever had.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
So what do I need to do to increase my max squad amounts? I'm playing as the Mercs, and have Yantar Scientist Camp, the purple point in Yantar (Lowlands w/ Artifacts), all four zones of Institute Building B in Agroprom (the three blue ones and the one split one), and the purple point in northern Agroprom (Old Encampment). But, I still have the same 18 total squads I started with? And I'm spread so thin, there's no way I'm going to able to capture the Duty base, which is my next mission. I can't just pull people from Yantar because the Military and Renegades occasionally spawn there. And if I try to attack the Duty compound, a helicopter tends to come and obliterate me.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Yeah the clear sky grenade rain is gone. In all honesty TFW goon approved version is one of the best stalker experiences I've ever had.

It's also one of the hardest. Cats almost put me to sleep, ran out of food so my stamina meter was nil, only survived because a random duty guy ran by me so I could buy some bread. And then I go to sleep and am killed by rats, lol.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Leif. posted:

So what do I need to do to increase my max squad amounts? I'm playing as the Mercs, and have Yantar Scientist Camp, the purple point in Yantar (Lowlands w/ Artifacts), all four zones of Institute Building B in Agroprom (the three blue ones and the one split one), and the purple point in northern Agroprom (Old Encampment). But, I still have the same 18 total squads I started with? And I'm spread so thin, there's no way I'm going to able to capture the Duty base, which is my next mission. I can't just pull people from Yantar because the Military and Renegades occasionally spawn there. And if I try to attack the Duty compound, a helicopter tends to come and obliterate me.

You don't need all the zones in a base. You just typically need one of them. Having guards at the eastern outpost and break in the wall gives you forewarning of an attack and helps keep the place under your control.

I'd suggest pulling people off of Yantar by ordering them to a rally point in Agroprom, then conducting an assault with the squads. The merc start is the hardest because of issues like this. You're going to have to do a fair amount of shooting yourself, but once your troops get there it'll turn into a proper bloodbath fight.

You only really need the resource point and base in Yantar. And you can always spend some time reclaiming the area if you lose it. Once you take Duty out you've essentially got a chunk of the map sealed off to most factional stalkers.

Duty's base is also a nightmare since if they start to lose ground they seem to be quite willing to pull back and reinforce the place in numbers. And it has proper guardhouses and defenses to boot. Sneaking in and assassinating the defenders before escaping if they do that is advisable. If only to lessen the difficulty of the main assault. Having a sniper rifle is useful for this and can even lure a squad or two out of the base to be ambushed due to them searching for the shooter.

The helicopter isn't necessarily a duty thing. I forget if they're allied with the military in TFW but I don't think so. So if you're good at stealth you can sneak around the compound by staying out of the helicopter's line of sight. No duty member will fire on you while a military helicopter is doing a fly-by, so you can walk up to enemies and pop them.

Just don't be in the middle of a group of living duty troops when it leaves. You'll get gunned down so fast you'll probably wonder what happened.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 11, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monolith. posted:

It's also one of the hardest. Cats almost put me to sleep, ran out of food so my stamina meter was nil, only survived because a random duty guy ran by me so I could buy some bread. And then I go to sleep and am killed by rats, lol.

Picked up an 800 rub contract to clear out a nearby checkpoint, no prob prolly some dogs.
Or as it turned out to be 2 bloodsuckers and a pack of pseudo dogs.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Bloodsuckers behave kinda odd in TFW. They just run around in circles at shotgun range until shotgunned, then limp straight at you to get shotgunned again.

At night though, holy poo poo. 2 of them chased me across an entire map, making scary noises until I got shotgunned by bandits hanging out at the map exit. :v:

Damegane fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 11, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I swear, out of anything that scares me to the point I'm shaking it's hearing a bloodsucker, or worse, multiple bloodsuckers. Someone should have got a huge bonus for making that noise

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Does anyone remember that death animation the bloodsuckers caused?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Bloodsuckers don't seem too bad in TFW. I killed a pair that ambushed me and my merc homie outside Agroprom, and he got a third somewhere along the way. Upgrading to a pump or semi-auto shotgun seems to really do the trick (6 shells is pretty safe); when you've only got two shots at a time though it's loving terrifying.

On the other hand, there was something (I didn't ever see what) that flew through the air and one-shot obliterated me as I was coming up on a camp. Definitely wasn't a Snork, I'm guessing maybe it was a Chimera. I just heard an awful growl, then died basically instantly.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

NeoSeeker posted:

Does anyone remember that death animation the bloodsuckers caused?

The one where the NPC gets kicked up into the air? I get that myself from time to time sniping from distances. Sent one over the gutted building in Rostock where Mercs like to perch. If you crouch all the way down on top of that rail above the underground electric anomaly area in the same map and a pseudodog tries to bite you from underneath it'll launch you a decent distance too, though these might just be glitches with my game.

Leif. posted:

Bloodsuckers don't seem too bad in TFW. I killed a pair that ambushed me and my merc homie outside Agroprom, and he got a third somewhere along the way. Upgrading to a pump or semi-auto shotgun seems to really do the trick (6 shells is pretty safe); when you've only got two shots at a time though it's loving terrifying.

I hear people say shotties are the best for them, but I've never had much luck that way. I normally get them into an area where they need to run straight at me with no turns and use a rapid fire weapon to headshot till they drop. That is when I can't just get up somewhere out of reach and take my time.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Leif. posted:

On the other hand, there was something (I didn't ever see what) that flew through the air and one-shot obliterated me as I was coming up on a camp. Definitely wasn't a Snork, I'm guessing maybe it was a Chimera. I just heard an awful growl, then died basically instantly.

Sounds like this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FAqM_yjAus

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Not that animation. It may have just been something in a pre-release video but it was a really freaky animation that had the bloodsucker right up in your face then your view gets swallowed by tentacles.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

is the complete mod still recommended for a clear sky mostly vanilla run through?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

ethanol posted:

is the complete mod still recommended for a clear sky mostly vanilla run through?

I used complete on my last CS playthrough, and the spawner was fun, when bandits keep re-appering, throw a bunch of red barrels around their spawn point and go about your business, then, when they appear out of nowhere again, a couple of shots to the barrels wipes them out.

Thanks Ddraig, as well, I just started the Faction War.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Now that my buttholes unclenched I can say TFW rules. Been doing bitchwork trying to get accepted into the tunnel snakes Bandits and it's been a blast so far

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

The bandits are awesome. I just wish I wasn't forced into attacking freedom every time I play them. I'd rather go after a small time faction. Or just be able to dick around and not have to directly attack any particular faction. Though this is experience gained playing way older versions.

When you capture an enemy base you get their engineer and trader right? Is that changed in this version? Because previously it just made the faction die. A lot seems to have changed and admittedly I'm not playing the version you guys have been. Factions never came back for their bases and such. I had a pretty bare bones experience.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 13, 2014

Damegane
May 7, 2013
In TFW, do other factions level up as you capture bases or something? I started as Defiance, took out Clear Sky, Bandits, and Duty in that order, and the equipment and squad sizes of enemy factions seemed to increase as I progressed.

Clear Sky had a few dudes hanging around with SMGs and hunting shotguns. Bandits had loads of guys, with Mosin snipers covering heavily-armoured shotgunners. Duty had a crapton of guys with all the nice 9x39mm guns and sent out big multi-squad forces to recapture areas they lose.

Or is it just CS being chumps and Duty being badass as usual? :v:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

NeoSeeker posted:

Not that animation. It may have just been something in a pre-release video but it was a really freaky animation that had the bloodsucker right up in your face then your view gets swallowed by tentacles.

And it isn't the first-person animation that CoP introduced where the Bloodsucker grapples you with it tentacles (after it comes up behind you/charges you)?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got loving swatted so hard by a pseudo giant at the entrance of the freedom area map that I landed near the edge. Was funny as poo poo. Once I reloaded my save I waited to see where he had come from and watched him waddle over the part of the road where he had swatted me and took a nap.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Quick poll: Which do people prefer - SGM 1.7 or SGM 2.0+ ?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

ethanol posted:

Get Arsenal Overhaul for CS. http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul-clear-sky

It includes the improvements from Complete, fixes combat and weapons, removes grenades spam and introduces a lot of high quality weapons.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Edit: Yup, complete solved the main quest bug, I'm guessing the military npc died early and bugged the quest.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 13, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

And it isn't the first-person animation that CoP introduced where the Bloodsucker grapples you with it tentacles (after it comes up behind you/charges you)?

Exactly this. Exactly. I forgot about the part where it has to sneak up on you. Except I remember it being in SHoC...

Ddraig posted:

Quick poll: Which do people prefer - SGM 1.7 or SGM 2.0+ ?

SGM is way too kitchen sink for me. If you're thinking what I think you are (adding some sgm features to TFW) may I suggest to stray away from adding a whole bunch of poo poo and just stick with the awesome core mechanics it adds. A bit of the sink wouldn't hurt, but it may put the mod at risk of being a bit too scatterbrained and cluttered.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 13, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Robot Randy posted:

Now that my buttholes unclenched I can say TFW rules. Been doing bitchwork trying to get accepted into the tunnel snakes Bandits and it's been a blast so far

Yeps, I'm just roaming around doing random odd jobs until I decide who to work for, some guy got wrecked by pseudodogs in Agro, so I got a decent gun (upgraded bizon) then some zombies spawned near me and added to my boomstick collection. duty seem to like me, as I slogged around for them, loners have a sliver of respect for me as well.

Bonus tip, instead of running to the guy on a new game, head north and pick up some junk and food from a "table" tree stump, in the "Far Farmstead", just wandering around is occasionally very rewarding, also, get a knife asap to break into those little cases.

Also, I last played sgm 2.0 I don't remember 1.7

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The nugget is hecka good in TFW. The rounds are reasonably common and it's easy enough to get one in full condition. Decent amount of zoom and the rounds often 1 shot the defiance shitheads I'm tasked to kill.

Been mostly rolling with that and a super shorty. Found a suppressed fort-12, got exmags and a 9x19 rechamber and it pops dudes like no other

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
The nugget? Is that supposed to be the Bizon?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Moist nugget. 9x19mm parabellum bizon.

I like it, just the animations are a tiny bit wonky.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

NeoSeeker posted:

Exactly this. Exactly. I forgot about the part where it has to sneak up on you. Except I remember it being in SHoC...

The Bloodsuckers in SoC have no ability to 'kiss' at all, if it's in it's because a modder added it in.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

staberind posted:

Yeps, I'm just roaming around doing random odd jobs until I decide who to work for, some guy got wrecked by pseudodogs in Agro, so I got a decent gun (upgraded bizon) then some zombies spawned near me and added to my boomstick collection. duty seem to like me, as I slogged around for them, loners have a sliver of respect for me as well.

Bonus tip, instead of running to the guy on a new game, head north and pick up some junk and food from a "table" tree stump, in the "Far Farmstead", just wandering around is occasionally very rewarding, also, get a knife asap to break into those little cases.

Also, I last played sgm 2.0 I don't remember 1.7

I guess the Far Farmstead is where some traders set up, I think? Hog and his crew. Don't seem to be part of any faction, I guess they're there if you piss everyone off.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Holy poo poo TFW is amazing, thanks for the modified upload Ddraig. The stalker loot script can be really annoying though, I always have some pack of loners wander into the middle of a firefight so I have to avoid shooting them AND avoid getting trapped in their "hey that's mine" loot dialogue in the middle of the fight if I want any loot at all. I think it's a great feature for a variety of reasons, I just wish it could be scripted a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I think TFW makes Clear Sky my favorite game of the series. All of the maps and atmosphere of ShoC but with the updated mechanics of CoP. That and the nugget is one of the most satisfying vidya game guns I've used. There's just something magical about how it sends dudes flying backwards.