Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MisterZimbu posted:

Fantastic episode. Loving the season so far.

I found it odd that, in the beginning of the episode they still said you are playing for a total prize of $13,000 (or whatever the total garnet count was). I wonder what the twist is going to be that's going to put the garnets back in play.

I think they just sit there. Counting towards the final prize total but not owned by anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Huh? There's 15 garnets owned, and the prize is $15,000. Juri's garnets are completely gone from the game.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I may have miscounted. I was drunk when I watched it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

NowonSA posted:

I just showed my cousin some of the highlights of the Genius S1 (the Open/Pass episode, the Kong bean episode (he wanted to see the next episode after Open/Pass), and the 5:5 episode), and he really dug it. One hyung recruited to the cause!

Stuff he liked, for those curious:

-The incredibly attractive Korean women.
-Kyunran (probably messing up the spelling here, sorry) getting mad at everyone during the 5:5 game
-Jinho's Open Pass moment (This was particularly great, he flipped out nicely during the reveal).
-Jinho being awesome during 5:5, also Sangmin's in the moment questions to a lesser extent.
-Recognizing random music themes here and there

He definitely has mad respect for Jinho, in short. I've trained him well to be a Jinho fanboy like me.

To be fair, Kyungran got hosed over harder by non-players in the 5:5 game in a way that like, only the people in S2 who played the second variation of the animals/office workers game did (since the S1 people who returned like immediately helped out Sangmin).

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I liked Kyunghoon, he reminds me of Sunggyu for being someone you can't quite hate. Yongsuk is absolutely intimidating. He's someone that's honest and will help you if you ask him, but he's also the kind of person that follows through with threats. I don't really blame anyone for not wanting to gently caress with him. I'm guessing his strategy was trying to stay low-key and not actively draw attention to himself because he played the deathmatch well.

The main match just kind of fell into place for the civilian, the foreman order had 3 or 4 civilians in a row, and once they had a consistent civilian jury drawn they could've just repicked the jurors. Since there wasn't any reason for any civilians to veto the jurors, anyone that did/picked a different jury would've been outed. Hyunmin and Yeonjoo did play their roles really well though.

Cute n Popular fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 13, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Cute n Popular posted:

I liked Kyunghoon, he reminds me of Sunggyu for being someone you can't quite hate.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Also Kyunghoon was a fucker

Hunchie
Jul 28, 2006
So I just finished season 1 and just watched the first two episodes of season three. I got seriously hooked after Sangmin garnet switch play in the first episode
Man the caliber of the players in season three is just insane especially in round two with how Hyunmin and Yongsuk played. This show is just simply addictive

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'd say the players in Season 3 are actually probably the least clever so far, I think they're a way better cast than Season 2. But I don't think any of them have shown themselves to be particularly quick, or done anything super interesting with the games, well, not yet at least.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There isn't much for them to take apart until there's an equivalent of Open/Pass or the Dice Game. There's bound to be one sooner or later.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yongsuk, Dongmin and Hyunmin (that gently caress) definitely show promise. Hweejong always had it but may not be able to keep his foot out of his mouth for long enough for it to matter. There's potential for some big plays here.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Poker player shows promise imo.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

To be fair, Kyungran got hosed over harder by non-players in the 5:5 game in a way that like, only the people in S2 who played the second variation of the animals/office workers game did (since the S1 people who returned like immediately helped out Sangmin).

Yeah I thought so too. Kyungran didn't come up with tricks as clever as Jinho (or even Sangmin) but she still asked a greater number of correct questions than anyone else. It's just she got screwed over by people answering questions about their own name or own birthday wrongly or inconsistently . :psyduck:

Hat Thoughts posted:

I'd say the players in Season 3 are actually probably the least clever so far, I think they're a way better cast than Season 2. But I don't think any of them have shown themselves to be particularly quick, or done anything super interesting with the games, well, not yet at least.

I think it just takes a little time for people to adjust to the games, that's all. I mean if you look at S1E1 pretty much everyone played the main game wrong, and S2E1 pretty much everyone missed the minutiae of the rules.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't know. There weren't a lot of people in season two actually capable of playing the games well, and the broadcaster alliance worked hard to force them out. I've got a better feeling about the players in season three so far, even if a large chunk of them completely blew the game this week.

Also, so far the games seem designed to not allow a strong bloc to form. For example, the main matches have had teams form out of the game play and trying to cross teams was a problem. And the death match this week let you use an alliance, but the other player could use knowledge of that alliance against you for greater effect.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 13, 2014

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Random Stranger posted:

Also, so far the games seem designed to not allow a strong bloc to form. For example, the main matches have had teams form out of the game play and trying to cross teams was a problem. And the death match this week let you use an alliance, but the other player could use knowledge of that alliance against you for greater effect.

Not to mention the amount of WIFOM the death match had in the betting parts.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Elite posted:

Yeah I thought so too. Kyungran didn't come up with tricks as clever as Jinho (or even Sangmin) but she still asked a greater number of correct questions than anyone else. It's just she got screwed over by people answering questions about their own name or own birthday wrongly or inconsistently . :psyduck:

What killed me about that episode was that Kyungran handled the pre-5:5 announcement time/first round way better than Jinho/Sangmin and the people screwing up basic information about herself lost the lead she built up there - her questions weren't as dead simple as what people were wearing and stuff, but they were easy enough that competent people could answer them no problem.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, Kyungran got screwed in 5:5. "Oops I accidentally gave the wrong date for my birthday!" is still one of the dumbest things I've ever heard anyone say ever. Like, I'm still not sure I understand how that even happened, the whole certification date thing was just... such a weird thing to give when it had nothing at all to do with what was being asked.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, Kyungran got screwed in 5:5. "Oops I accidentally gave the wrong date for my birthday!" is still one of the dumbest things I've ever heard anyone say ever. Like, I'm still not sure I understand how that even happened, the whole certification date thing was just... such a weird thing to give when it had nothing at all to do with what was being asked.

She had bad luck those last few episodes. I really wish she won Hap Gyu too because she was way better than Jinho at it but her teammates were dumb. Jinho did deserve the overall win but not like that.

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations
Haven't been the biggest fan of mr Dong so far but this clip is pretty fantastic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ZmXA7RvUE

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

SebastianK posted:

Haven't been the biggest fan of mr Dong so far but this clip is pretty fantastic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ZmXA7RvUE

Clip of the series right there.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SebastianK posted:

As I said before, the best part of The Genius is people trying to crack up dealer nuna. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Dongmin is the best. :allears:

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Can someone tell me the name of the song in the background after the deathmatch ends? I know it's an acoustic version of another song, but I love it.

edit: nevermind, found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0bS-YnLf4s

Dancing Peasant fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 15, 2014

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
Just started following this show... I can't seem to find S1 or S2 from the tumblr posted on the first page of this thread. Are the first two seasons archived anywhere?

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

bouncyman posted:

Just started following this show... I can't seem to find S1 or S2 from the tumblr posted on the first page of this thread. Are the first two seasons archived anywhere?

They are linked on that tumblr, you just have to scroll down a bit. About halfway down the page.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

bouncyman posted:

This is the post you're looking for on that tumblr.

http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/69603754319/the-genius-1-2-subbed

You can find that by scrolling halfway down the main page or using the #TheGenius tag on the left side.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
Awesome! Thanks guys! Got lots of catching up to do

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

SebastianK posted:

Dongmin is a way better Hongchul than Hongchul.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Shakugan posted:

Dongmin is a way better Hongchul than Hongchul.

Yeah he seems like a better game player too.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I don't know why you would even compare them, they fill the same role but their styles are totally different.
also, I couldn't stand Hongchul but Dongmin is awesome.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

CHiRAL posted:

I don't know why you would even compare them, they fill the same role but their styles are totally different.
also, I couldn't stand Hongchul but Dongmin is awesome.

Hongchul was fine, but he was doing too much 'this is variety!' kind of thing. Which doesn't fit well with this show.

CHiRAL posted:

I just found his style jarring in general but this is 100% a matter of personal taste.

I can see that, but it makes more sense if your goofy variety show tasks.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 16, 2014

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Zythrst posted:

Hongchul was fine, but he was doing too much 'this is variety!' kind of thing. Which doesn't fit well with this show.

I just found his style jarring in general but this is 100% a matter of personal taste.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hongchul was silly when he wanted to be, and serious when he needed to be. I enjoyed him up until the very end.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hongchul was okay but always very manic and loud and silly. Dongmin is a funny charismatic guy, but he's also a strong strategic player and leader. I like Dongmin a lot.

Here is me IMing Propaganda Machine while watching that episode

10:49 pm
ok im still watching it but wtf
the 5 criminals went into a room to strategize together
the town leader would at that moment know exactly who the godfather is
town could self-sabotage and vote not guilty all the rest of the verdicts
and select the criminal leader
at end

10:53 pm
omg that's exactly what they juts did
such a stupid criminal move

Using a draw in the death match to block the other player from betting chips was a good move that I also thought of, but I didn't realize that apparently that lets you choose your role again the next round? That's just bad game design

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

A super funny move would have been for a criminal to whisper to some random townie, "Hey, me and the other criminals want to make a pitch to you a little later." Then say "come on let's go" and all walk off together, framing that guy as the criminal leader. Real mafia leader stays behind. If the rest plays out like in the episode, town then begins losing on purpose with the wrong person in mind for criminal leader, or, even if the town catches the mistake and stops the intentional not guilty votes, the mafia leader now knows who the town leader is.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So I guess the people who didn't like Hongchul aren't Infinite challenge fans?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Fast Luck posted:

Using a draw in the death match to block the other player from betting chips was a good move that I also thought of, but I didn't realize that apparently that lets you choose your role again the next round? That's just bad game design

He didn't choose his role back to back. Kyunghoon was trailing by two, so he wanted to bet and put all of his chips on what he thought the opponent would choose, which he assumed would be winning. Then it would be up to Yongsuk to choose to bet on his round to catch up, and Kyunghoon was probably thinking of doing a mind game at that point about whether he would lose or win, or he might have realized he could draw and try to do that.

Anyway, Kyunghoon chooses to bet so Yongsuk is the player, and he draws. Then Yongsuk chooses to play when the choice switches to him and he draws again.

At that point in the game though his only chance was to choose to play, then pick lose, since winning is the obvious choice, and hope Yongsuk puts 2 or more pieces on the winning side. Yongsuk's smartest play in that situation, I think, would be to put 1 chip on winning, so if his opponent picks lose he's up 10-9 and can draw, and if he picks win they're tied going in to the last round.

I was actually hoping for more mind games on whether your opponent picked lose to make you forfeit your bet, but that didn't end up happening. It was fun to see the "wasted" round spent drawing come back and be the key to victory though, that was very much like the Genius there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Except that's not what happened.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well that's why I put a ? there because I wasn't 100% sure but didn't want to watch it again. Anyway that's still kind of a flaw to me. I guess the trailing player would have to choose to play instead of bet, which kills the chance of a big comeback, but which still can claw back a few chips at least.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

sharktamer posted:

So I guess the people who didn't like Hongchul aren't Infinite challenge fans?

I didn't watch that show yet and I'm sure I'd enjoy him in another variety like Running Man, but his style didn't mesh well with The Genius IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

CHiRAL posted:

I didn't watch that show yet and I'm sure I'd enjoy him in another variety like Running Man, but his style didn't mesh well with The Genius IMO

I just found him too fake. It felt like he was acting a role the entire time rather than acting naturally which most other players seem to default to.