Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this? posted:

Hugh Laurie's book is really good. It's basically a crime novel starring himself. IIRC how it worked out is that he was originally writing something explicitly about himself but decided his life was too boring and spiced it up.

Bruce Campbell did the same thing, but it's more alright than good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aphrodite posted:

You don't want any silly gimmicks in your superhero show.

Seems more like he just doesn't want silly gimmicks in Gotham.

Really though, on the list of things wrong with that show a guy that murders people with balloons rates surprisingly low.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

Hugh Laurie's book is really good. It's basically a crime novel starring himself. IIRC how it worked out is that he was originally writing something explicitly about himself but decided his life was too boring and spiced it up.

That actually sounds kind of cool! I'm too lazy to search for it on Amazon, would you happen to have a link handy?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

Seems more like he just doesn't want silly gimmicks in Gotham.

Really though, on the list of things wrong with that show a guy that murders people with balloons rates surprisingly low.

Nah, I'd have no problems with silly gimmicks on Gotham if that was what they show decided it wanted to be and it was consistent with that. But with Gotham you'll get a Gordon and Fish Mooney back and forth where Ben McKenzie is acting as if he's still on Southland and Jada Pinkett Smith is going full Adam West Batman in the same scene and it's just weird.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

That actually sounds kind of cool! I'm too lazy to search for it on Amazon, would you happen to have a link handy?
http://www.amazon.com/The-Gun-Seller-Hugh-Laurie/dp/067102082X/

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yeah, the AV Club just wrote an article about that Royal Pains clip, and the ubiquitousness of product placement/advertising in general.

Though they probably could have picked a better placement on their front page for it:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh...that was...ahem on the AV Club you say? .. I....I had no idea >_>;

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I wish they had gone meta and had her buy a Versa.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Walking Dead got an 8.7 demo rating last night. Unreal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Jesus Christ. At some point the ratings have to stop going up right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Jesus Christ. At some point the ratings have to stop going up right?

You would think. Last night did 17.3 million total viewers of which 11 million were in the demo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Meanwhile Bill Hader on SNL propelled it to its lowest ratings ever :smith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

Meanwhile Bill Hader on SNL propelled it to its lowest ratings ever :smith:

I used to watch SNL live but man I got better poo poo to do from 10:30 to midnight, so now I DVR and watch it Sunday. I wonder how many others do the same.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Their ratings literally cannot stop going up. And judging by goon consensus and the media reviews, it was one of the best TWD episodes yet and an absolutely amazing hour of TV in general. More people in the demo watch TWD then total viewers for most major network primetime TV.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's probably even more impressive is their numbers once piracy is considered.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Part of the reason why I watch TWD the same night is because of spoilers. You gotta watch that poo poo ASAP or avoid the internet until you do.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought TWD has been a bad show for a couple of season now. :confused:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see you' ve been reading the thread...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

That implies you thought it wasn't bad early on, so clearly you're wrong.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I mean it's not as good as Z-Nation but it still has it's charm.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

It's really inconsistent like that. You get really weak episodes, mediocre stretches, and then you'll get some of the best TV of the season. The Season 5 premiere was the strongest I've ever seen the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Y'all should really watch Transparent on Amazon Instant Prime Whatever. Critics are going apeshit over it, and for good reason, it's loving excellent.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, last night's episode was 100% awesome from top to bottom; I enjoyed the hell out of it. It felt more like a season finale than a premiere. Granted, every future episode this season can't possibly be as awesome as the first one, but I have high hopes. poo poo actually HAPPENED. And not just that, but a lot of poo poo happened in the span of 60 minutes.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

precision posted:

Y'all should really watch Transparent on Amazon Instant Prime Whatever. Critics are going apeshit over it, and for good reason, it's loving excellent.

That's next on my list once I finish Peaky Blinders. By the way Peaky Blinders is real loving good y'all.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Yoshifan823 posted:

Everyone on Mulaney is apparently incapable of acting without mugging for the camera or repeating their lines like a punchline of a joke, and only Martin Short pulls it off.

It really is remarkable. Seinfeld could get by despite Jerry being a terrible actor because everyone else was so good, but everyone on Mulaney is so over the top that it's unbearable. Nasim Pedrad is still acting like she's in a live sketch show for a sitcom, the drug dealer guy is basically "too much" personified, and the PA in yesterday's episode might be the worst actor I've ever seen in anything on the scale of a network television program.

It's like they set out to make a colorful cast but went ahead and gave every single person a heap of zany character traits. It's okay to let some characters resemble normal people on your television show.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

Not surprising. Any actor/actresses have written decent scifi books?

I haven't personally read it but apparently LeVar Burton's sci-fi novel is decent?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It should also be said that the first 5 minutes of the new Walking Dead was quite possibly the most brutally violent thing i've ever seen on a basic cable program.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

GreenNight posted:

Part of the reason why I watch TWD the same night is because of spoilers. You gotta watch that poo poo ASAP or avoid the internet until you do.

I stopped watching since season 2 and I have literally no idea what happens after I stopped watching

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It turns out humans are the real monsters and not the zombies

Also if you have a collection of zombie heads in your house women will still sleep with you

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you're a useless goony goon, just make up a good story and big muscley guys and hot girls will protect you.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lycus posted:

If you're a useless goony goon, just make up a good story and big muscley guys and hot girls will protect you.

*takes furious notes*

and...how do i get..."the snatch", again???

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Toxxupation posted:

*takes furious notes*

and...how do i get..."the snatch", again???

It's simple, you watch Jane the Virgin which is on right now!!! And then you post in my thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3669958

We even have our own pedophile. :coolfish:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Oh no did Aatrek rereg?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadpool posted:

Nah, I'd have no problems with silly gimmicks on Gotham if that was what they show decided it wanted to be and it was consistent with that. But with Gotham you'll get a Gordon and Fish Mooney back and forth where Ben McKenzie is acting as if he's still on Southland and Jada Pinkett Smith is going full Adam West Batman in the same scene and it's just weird.

I thought it was pretty true to the newer comic books.

e:You'd have commissioner gordon being all dark as hell, and then the joker shows up and it's two completely different tones. I like it because the contrast fits really well with my idea of what Batman is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Turtlicious posted:

e:You'd have commissioner gordon being all dark as hell, and then the joker shows up and it's two completely different tones. I like it because the contrast fits really well with my idea of what Batman is.

Everyone reacts to Joker as if he's crazy though. In Gotham all the ridiculousness is never treated that way at all. That's where the disconnect is.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

I actually appreciate that too. I like little teases of the lunacy from the original Adam West Batman mixed with the grittier modern storytelling motifs. I'm okay with them not sticking to one or the other.

Not to say that Gotham is a great show, but it's doing what it needs to keep me entertained.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

zoux posted:

Is it still bad?

It is quite bad yet for whatever reason the ratings didn't insta-tank after the pilot. I remember Agents of Shield came out, was bad, and the episode after the series premiere had 2/3rds the viewers of the premiere. Then Gotham comes out, is bad, yet retains a pretty good chunk of its audience. Seems to be steadily declining but I'm surprised people are giving it a chance since it's such trash. Tonight's episode was probably the worst episode so far.

It's bad in basically every way a show can be bad, except it's not boring. Mostly because of how ridiculously stupid and trashy it is. I watch it, and am going to continue to watch it, but I would not recommend it to anyone except maybe a film student as an example of what not to do. If you want something ridiculous with familiar source material, try Sleepy Hollow.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

Bruce Campbell did the same thing, but it's more alright than good.

JCVD did it better

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The greatest crime of Jeff Bridges winning the Emmy instead of Kevin Spacey for the first season of House of Cards is that we've been robbed of a legitimate EGOT winner. Spacey has 2 Oscars and 1 Tony and could easily win a Grammy for a spoken word album at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I lost any interest in Gotham when I heard what they were doing with Montoya (in fact, from what I've heard, the show's women are pretty universally awfully handled). I think it's a symptom of that Burton or '66 esque campery, though. They want to make the city SO corrupt and heightened that the notion of anyone but Jim and Bruce starting off as decent people is unfathomable.

• Locked thread