Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Pendergast posted:

Was anyone else bothered by the fact that everyone (or well.. mainly Ryan and Esposito because they were there first) just stood and watched while Beckett scrambled down the embankment to Castle's car and then as she flopped down to the ground in despair and got soaking wet from the hose? Yea, car on fire, but still.. seems like they would have gone after her.

Plus the doubting Castle. I would have doubted Beckett but not him.

I had a really hard time with Beckett's inability to believe in Castle. Kind of pissed me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What bothered me the most was how nonchalant everyone was about everything, from the accident scene to after they figured out (accepted?) Castle was telling the truth about having no memory of the last two months. Add in the broken ribs, gunshot wound, and dengue fever thing, everyone should have had a huge wtf look on their face. Castle should have been in complete overdrive conspiracy theorist mode.

But no, sip some champagne on a couch and have Beckett be in doubt of their relationship.

Again.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm thinking conspiracy-theory Castle will be in full force next episode. Right now the poor guy's just trying to get his bearings.

As for the doubting Thomases, I think Beckett's doubts came from the fact that every day she deals with people every day who insist that "I know so-and-so and they would never do something like this" and surprise, so-and-so did do that thing. Also, she had a hard time believing his memory loss because she has lied about not remembering things. For the purposes of the show, I buy it.

Except for Esposito. He was being a dick.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hijinks Ensue posted:

As for the doubting Thomases, I think Beckett's doubts came from the fact that every day she deals with people every day who insist that "I know so-and-so and they would never do something like this" and surprise, so-and-so did do that thing. Also, she had a hard time believing his memory loss because she has lied about not remembering things. For the purposes of the show, I buy it.

Yeah, this is my reasoning too. I sometimes imagine how soul-crushing being a detective must be, as evidence of people's capacity to lie to their loved ones and those loved ones' capacity to believe those lies is shoved in your face day after day.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, this is my reasoning too. I sometimes imagine how soul-crushing being a detective must be, as evidence of people's capacity to lie to their loved ones and those loved ones' capacity to believe those lies is shoved in your face day after day.

Yeah, I would believe that but, and if they had played it more like that I would have been more forgiving. But they are like "oh that's Castle in the video dropping off the money, clearly not under duress, what a piece of poo poo" as if you can tell someone is under duress in a video...

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
They'll eat their words when it turns out he had a bomb strapped to him or something.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hijinks Ensue posted:

They'll eat their words when it turns out he had a bomb strapped to him or something.

Well, he never made it to the wedding. They could have easily told him after he woke up from the car wreck that they had Beckett hostage. It would have been easy for them to furnish some "proof" of this because they seem to have a lot of resources. Also, he could have been playing along, and put a cellphone or something in the drop bag in order to find out what was going on. Remember, he didn't necessarily know what the money was for. He had the cash and Castle has never been afraid to part with cash for a good reason.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Snak posted:

Well, he never made it to the wedding. They could have easily told him after he woke up from the car wreck that they had Beckett hostage. It would have been easy for them to furnish some "proof" of this because they seem to have a lot of resources. Also, he could have been playing along, and put a cellphone or something in the drop bag in order to find out what was going on. Remember, he didn't necessarily know what the money was for. He had the cash and Castle has never been afraid to part with cash for a good reason.

The camera footage was from before he entered the car. So he made the cash drop and went on with his usual buisness without saying a word to Beckett. That is certainly suspicious, so they had reason to doubt him.

EDIT: Okay, I misremebered that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 4, 2014

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Actually, I'm pretty sure the cash drop was after the car crash. That confused me at first but on a second viewing i caught it - the cash drop was after the crash.

I still think the FBI guy is part of the conspiracy.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The cash drop was indeed after the car crash, but he withdrew the money before the incident.

So either he just so happened to withdraw the exact amount for his honeymoon as it would cost to get the car crushed, he was aware of the plans before the crash or the writers wrote themselves into a bad spot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cyks posted:

The cash drop was indeed after the car crash, but he withdrew the money before the incident.

So either he just so happened to withdraw the exact amount for his honeymoon as it would cost to get the car crushed, he was aware of the plans before the crash or the writers wrote themselves into a bad spot.

No, whoever abducted Castle also planned to frame him for this. With the level of planning that went into it, it would have been easy for them to get him to use the money he took out for his honeymoon (that's what he told Beckett the money was for) for the drop.

edit: I hope that it's all of the villains they've put away working together. Like 3XK got in touch with that senator and whoever else they all conspired to ruin Castle and Beckett for good, not settling for killing them but instead turning them into enemies. It's dumb, but not dumber than any of the "serious" high-stakes two-parters and it would be cool to bring all the villains back for the final season.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
A Derrick Storm TV series seems a bit on the unnecessary side.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

that is incredibly odd and I will watch it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"What the hell was I doing in Montreal?"

Because it's cheap to film there for a road trip episode.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Better episode than the opener. Best line was "I don't need your permission to go...that being said can I PLEASE go to Montreal?! It's Canada, how much can happen?"

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I really liked it. I'm very interested to see where they're going with this storyline, not least because we finally get a look into some of Castle's backstory (I've no objections to Beckett's character in general but I've never found her all that interesting). Not sure I buy that he was voluntarily brainwashed. There's way more going on here. And I'm especially intrigued by this mysterious event from Castle's childhood. Loved the video goodbye message - I wanted to bust through the fourth wall and give him a hug, he looked so scared and alone. :ohdear:

Calling it now: Castle will have some sort of trigger event that brings back his memories of the missing two months just in time for the February two-parter. Hijinks will ensue.

I'm also hearing that the wedding will indeed happen in a month. :

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why did that guy pull a gun on Castle if he had no intention of shooting him? Seems unnecessary.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Because Drama

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

The castle tie-in novels are EXTREMELY popular among old ladies. I've had conversations with quite a few about things like what will happen this season and what a handsome man Nathan Fillion is. I brought him up to one lady I saw buying the books and it turned out she doesn't even watch the show. :shrug:

EDIT: Did anyone notice that Computer Lady has a name now? Tori Ennis I think it was. They made a point of saying her first and last name, I wonder if she'll get five seconds or so of character development each episode.

The Red Queen fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 12, 2014

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I own all the Nikki Heat tie-ins. I read them during the summer hiatuses. The first was pretty lightweight (pretty obviously banged out in about a month after they found out they were getting a second season) but they've turned into enjoyable pulp.

I'm wondering: if time travel dude was right and Castle moves on to write serious fiction, will we get one of those books too? I'd read it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Red Queen posted:

The castle tie-in novels are EXTREMELY popular among old ladies. I've had conversations with quite a few about things like what will happen this season and what a handsome man Nathan Fillion is. I brought him up to one lady I saw buying the books and it turned out she doesn't even watch the show. :shrug:

EDIT: Did anyone notice that Computer Lady has a name now? Tori Ennis I think it was. They made a point of saying her first and last name, I wonder if she'll get five seconds or so of character development each episode.

Tory Ellis. I believe the fact that her name is Tory has been mentioned before, but this may have been the first mention of her surname.

I do wonder if she may be getting a bigger part or killed off since Maya Stojan now has what may be a recurring role on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

BreakAtmo posted:

Tory Ellis. I believe the fact that her name is Tory has been mentioned before, but this may have been the first mention of her surname.

I do wonder if she may be getting a bigger part or killed off since Maya Stojan now has what may be a recurring role on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Ah! Agent 33! I thought her face seemed familiar.

I liked the reveal this episode that Castle apparently asked for the memory wipe, plus the tease about some mysterious childhood event. It provided just enough answers to satisfy some of the questions, without giving away too much.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm intrigued as well. I wonder if his mom knows more than she's telling. She's been very "let's not delve too deeply" on this.

I'm betting that just in time for the February sweeps two-parter, Castle's going to see or experience something that sets off a big flashback to his missing time.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

"What the hell was I doing in Montreal?"

Because it's cheap to film there for a road trip episode.

Yea real cheap to film up there, what with all the very tight shots while in 'Montreal'.

Anyway, this show is OK sometimes but its like nothing has actually ever happened to anyone. Alexis is all rarin' to go to the next adventure after she was kidnapped.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea real cheap to film up there, what with all the very tight shots while in 'Montreal'.

Anyway, this show is OK sometimes but its like nothing has actually ever happened to anyone. Alexis is all rarin' to go to the next adventure after she was kidnapped.

This is what every episode feels like now:

Castle: This crimescene sure is wacky! I love it
Beckett: Is that what I think it is?
Laney: Yep, it sure is an evidence!
Ryan and Espo: Yeah witnesses saw a thing that might be a clue
Beckett: Okay you two follow up that lead, Castle and I will go drink coffee and stare at the whiteboard
Alexis: I'm having a problem because I'm too perfect for the world
Martha: I did something really inconvenient for everyone else
Laney: yeah that evidence checked out, and there was more evidence I can't explain
Suspect: I have an airtight alibi
Ryan and Espo: You guys need to see this
Beckett: but that means...
Castle: ...we have to stop them!

viewer: holy poo poo it was the only person who had access and motive and wasn't the main suspect.

This show has really taken a huge dive in quality, and now I feel like the character chemistry that once carried the show is gone. This last episode was so completely formulaic, it felt like 90& of the dialogue was just characters describing what was happening.

also Esposito and Laney got back together and we didn't even get to see it? bullshit.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Saved each other's life a few times, been to the brink of death together, spend all their time together.

But you know what? You really don't know someone until you find out what they did when they lost their memory. Marriage has to wait.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Snak, you forgot to use the word "canvas". It's always "canvas" and say it slowly and with emphasis. I even like saying it. Canvas. Caaanvas the area. Also, the first suspect is always the most guilty with Beckett telling them they are going DOWN. However, it's always the third person they talk to - not necessarily in the station or interview room, but the third person introduced to the episode.

Canvas.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Procedurals, amirite?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Procedurals, amirite?

Yeah, I know. But what kept me loving this show for so long was that I thought the characters were fun and I enjoyed their interactions. I didn't get that at all in either of the episodes this season. Last season wasn't great either. When it's just "Caaanvas the area/why couldn't it be vampires", that's not really enough to keep me watching. Plus I've been bitching for like two seasons that Espo and Laney's relationship should get more developement, especially since a lot of the Castle/Beckett poo poo has gotten old. And what do they do? "Oh yeah they patched it up off-camera" back to bullshit "Beckett's mad at Castle and he can't remember why" bullshit.

Tide posted:

Snak, you forgot to use the word "canvas". It's always "canvas" and say it slowly and with emphasis. I even like saying it. Canvas. Caaanvas the area. Also, the first suspect is always the most guilty with Beckett telling them they are going DOWN. However, it's always the third person they talk to - not necessarily in the station or interview room, but the third person introduced to the episode.

Canvas.

Holy poo poo I didn't realize this until you pointed it out but it's 100% true. Caaanvas the area. It's the new "pays bitter".

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I like that in the most recent episode I saw, they asked the computer expert to do something impossible and she almost couldn't do it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have no clue how they're going to explain this one.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Aphrodite posted:

I can only guess that there's a drug in the air or something and they're hallucinating. They're at the victim's apartment right? It could've been there and that's what got him too, made him freak out.

Still, this is a show that all but confirmed time travel, I'm fine with a real invisible man or creature showing up. Just swing into the curve.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Stealth Camouflage?

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 14, 2014

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Aphrodite posted:

Marine biologist friend of the victim?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmDTtkZlMwM

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did have functioning laser guns so it's possible they go there.

Yeah. The job of the girlfriend has to factor in. Pointless to even give her a job if not.

Edit: oh boy, video games and more impossible computer usage.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 14, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It's just like one of my Japanese Anime.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
"I mean, sure, we could go somewhere interesting with this, but why not just go to the Fatal Attraction angle."

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A good episode. Much better than the last. Whenever it's Serious Castle, it's just not very enjoyable.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Tide posted:

A good episode. Much better than the last. Whenever it's Serious Castle, it's just not very enjoyable.

Absolutely, I've been waiting for the CSI: Nathan Fillion vibes to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just catching up on the first episode of this season and holy poo poo people are quick to believe Castle was faking all this, without even remotely considering it was under duress. I mean holy poo poo, I don't know why the writers even tried that.

I don't know what happened yet, but.. sniper? Bomber? "I'll kill your loved ones." A million different things.

ED: Now they find him in the middle of the ocean with bullet holes in his loving boat and they are STILL blaming him? Holy poo poo. This feels so out of character.

ED: Well now I'm on to the 2nd episode and they're back at the not trusting him again. What the flying fuckballs, man. This is the dumbest plot arc. They've had fake witnesses, bullet holes, strange tropical diseases, getting shot across the ribs.. and they STILL are wondering if this was his plan? I mean the public, sure, I get that but really, all the main characters?

This is seriously the dumbest thing the show's done.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 14, 2014

• Locked thread