Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gorson posted:

Dude, that's a Camry SE, can't have people dinging it up!

We have a client that parks her Escalade exactly like that in their own lot every single day. Normally that wouldn't wad my undies, but one of the 2 spots she is straddling is a handicap spot. She is NOT legally handicapped, just in her 60's and 3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket. Every time I see it I am tempted to do something but she's a major client.

The other day I saw some jackass parked on that striped section between two handicapped parking spots, basically straddling it with one wheel on the edge of each handicapped spot and completely taking up their wheelchair loading zone. I was impressed, because he'd manage to block not one but two handicapped parking spaces at the same time. He was pulling out as I finished at the bank, hopefully after someone told him off because I'd hate to have him think that's an acceptable thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a guy I see all the time who has a silver Accord, always parks in the most distant remote corner of the parking lot. It's been this way for years.

I guess the dude really, really cares about his generic sedan.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

xzzy posted:

There's a guy I see all the time who has a silver Accord, always parks in the most distant remote corner of the parking lot. It's been this way for years.

either that or he recognizes that he's a terrible and dangerous parker and is doing us all a favor by staying the hell away from us, in which case I endorse this behavior.

Vovo posted:

A while ago I was filling up my car at a gas station, and a lady asked me if I could help her. I was a bit apprehensive 'cause I didn't feel like changing a tire or something. She was confused about why her headlights were on but the taillights were off. "Am I just overlooking something or are they broken or what?" So I turned on her lights for her, she looked pretty embarrassed.

This I don't quite understand. If you turned her lights "on" were the headlights not already on but she thought she saw them? Did she think the daytime running lights were the headlights or something? If the car has censors and automatically turn the headlights on when it gets dark don't the taillights come on too? I was leaving Baltimore Saturday night and it had recently gotten dark and this guy had no taillights on as I passed him on the highway, seeing he had tiny DRL's on. The semi behind him gave him a honk and sure enough he turned them right on. I wish I could say I wasn't ever guilty of that but driving my boss's van out of DC at sunset one day by the time I got to the beltway it was dark and someone had to flash me before I realized the lights didn't come on automatically. Technology has spoiled me.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 13, 2014

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

xzzy posted:

I do that all the time, with any vehicle. Partially because I don't want some fuckknob to box me in/ding my ride. Partially because I'm a fatass and can use the walk.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

davebo posted:

either that or he recognizes that he's a terrible and dangerous parker and is doing us all a favor by staying the hell away from us, in which case I endorse this behavior.

This I don't quite understand. If you turned her lights "on" were the headlights not already on but she thought she saw them? Did she think the daytime running lights were the headlights or something? If the car has censors and automatically turn the headlights on when it gets dark don't the taillights come on too? I was leaving Baltimore Saturday night and it had recently gotten dark and this guy had no taillights on as I passed him on the highway, seeing he had tiny DRL's on. The semi behind him gave him a honk and sure enough he turned them right on. I wish I could say I wasn't ever guilty of that but driving my boss's van out of DC at sunset one day by the time I got to the beltway it was dark and someone had to flash me before I realized the lights didn't come on automatically. Technology has spoiled me.

Our Suzuki Swift has the headlights on all the time but the rear lights only turn on when you turn the switch.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

My parking skills seem to have deteriorated over time; how can I best fix that?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

Eh, it is still probably his 1st or 2nd most valuable asset (I use asset loosely), why not protect it?
Also, in 20 years AI will be drooling over a pristine 2000 accord.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Practice. Also, when you park, walk around and check how you parked. Close to the line? Repark. Over the line? Repark, etc. I do this alot until I am centered in my space. It only takes a second to do. Just the simple act of checking your work will get you better.

I've recently gotten my girlfriend to get into the habit of parking in backwards. Because of this, shes told me her overall parking skills improved, especially when it came to parallel parking.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

The other day I saw some jackass parked on that striped section between two handicapped parking spots, basically straddling it with one wheel on the edge of each handicapped spot and completely taking up their wheelchair loading zone. I was impressed, because he'd manage to block not one but two handicapped parking spaces at the same time. He was pulling out as I finished at the bank, hopefully after someone told him off because I'd hate to have him think that's an acceptable thing to do.

One of the therapists here decided to park her sportbike dead-center in the striped wheelchair-loading zone here at work earlier this summer. She claimed "Oh, I didn't know that's what it was" when called on it, but I guess Facilities called her to move it rather than call for the tow.

Wish I had authority for calling tows. :unsmigghh: Or just could get Parking Enforcement to come out and paper all the assholes blocking the hydrant/parked all the way past the curve of the corner/parked right on top of the driveways.

Some goober in a brotruck has been running both passenger-side wheels up the curb here recently, as well - I can see doing that to be courteous on a narrow street, but it's an old-school downtown street that'd do three lanes plus parking. :smith:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Siochain posted:

I do that all the time, with any vehicle. Partially because I don't want some fuckknob to box me in/ding my ride. Partially because I'm a fatass and can use the walk.

Me too - my silver sedan may be generic and somewhat dinged up already but that doesn't mean I want it to look any worse.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Siochain posted:

Exactly on both counts. I even had someone pull in 2 spaces away from me once and go "do you park out here to avoid dings?" And I was all "Yup" and he smiled and was like "me too". I still muttered under my breath that he was still too close to me.

In other news, some rear end in a top hat was doing 40 in a 45 down the road below, so 5 cars were stacked up behind him. I pulled into the middle lane just in time to catch him slam on the brakes to do a U-turn right in this exact "no U-turn" marked location, causing all 4 remaining cars behind him to panic stop and near-miss each other. If I had a camera I would have caught the whole thing, I will at some point.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Let Fingal drive :cabot:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
This doesn't have to to with driving a vehicle per se, more to do with properly maintaining it. I've started to notice what I think are quite a number of people puttering around Midtown Memphis in a vehicle that is pretty obviously not firing on all cylinders. It's Bizarre, you'd think they'd notice the drat thing being down on power but no..

It's not just one guy either, I've seen several different cars and trucks exhibiting the trademark put-put-put exhaust sound you get with a dead cylinder.

I know memphis is a shithole but god dammit people.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

One of those German bikes with 4 wheels...

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

xzzy posted:

Some people are OCD about their cars. My girlfriends dad drove a early 90's accord for almost 20 years and the thing was immaculate. I swear it still had the new car smell. He finally sold it a couple years ago when he got a e92 m3, which I swear he spends more time washing then he does driving.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Negromancer posted:

Some people are OCD about their cars. My girlfriends dad drove a early 90's accord for almost 20 years and the thing was immaculate. I swear it still had the new car smell. He finally sold it a couple years ago when he got a e92 m3, which I swear he spends more time washing then he does driving.

It won't clean itself. :colbert:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Negromancer posted:

I have an immaculate '94 Mercedes C220 except for the scrape I put on the bumper and the mirror I smashed. Oops. :smith:

Whoever had it before must have really loved it; it's a totally base model, not even with folding seats.

Vovo
Aug 12, 2005
Grand Luxe

davebo posted:

This I don't quite understand. If you turned her lights "on" were the headlights not already on but she thought she saw them? Did she think the daytime running lights were the headlights or something?

It was some cheap Skoda, which actually uses the headlights as running lights.

About parking cheap cars far away from anybody else: have you seen how many people just toss open their doors after parking, using another car as a door stop? Children especially. When I have a car that's not dinged yet I will park a bit further away too. But after a while I stop giving a poo poo because it ends up full of doordings anyway, especially with the small parking spaces in European cities.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

One of those German bikes with 4 wheels...

If it was a BMW he could at least have the bimmer/beemer excuse but that is just weak.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

If it was a BMW he could at least have the bimmer/beemer excuse but that is just weak.

I wonder if you can get a dollie that has only one wheel, that either the front or the rear of the car sits on. So you jack up the car, set the dollie under it, and let it back down; now it only has three wheels touching the ground and is a motorcycle.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sagebrush posted:

Audi owns Ducati so there is that...

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Your high beams + my mirrors

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Your high beams + my mirrors

Everyone needs a "gently caress you" mirror setting to shine that poo poo back in their face. I have a xenon Pelican PM6 in my center console that I hold out the window and strobe at high beamers until they get the idea.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Meanwhile in Belgium, video of a car accident back in August has surfaced online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0E2Nxtm6o

This is why you make sure you're in the right lane before the exit starts, and why you shouldn't move over two other lanes to make your exit in time. I see people try this poo poo pretty much every other day along with other rear end in a top hat behavior.

The driver survived, accompanying news article in Dutch including her response to the video being posted here.

Don't even bother with the comments as half of them seem intent on blaming the truck drivers that use the same road for causing an unsafe situation and making it impossible to drive in the right lane.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Smoke posted:

Meanwhile in Belgium, video of a car accident back in August has surfaced online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0E2Nxtm6o

This is why you make sure you're in the right lane before the exit starts, and why you shouldn't move over two other lanes to make your exit in time. I see people try this poo poo pretty much every other day along with other rear end in a top hat behavior.

The driver survived, accompanying news article in Dutch including her response to the video being posted here.

Don't even bother with the comments as half of them seem intent on blaming the truck drivers that use the same road for causing an unsafe situation and making it impossible to drive in the right lane.

Holy poo poo. I don't speak Dutch but I hope there wasn't anyone in the passenger seat.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Nope, she was driving alone. Here's an article from the day of the accident with photos of the aftermath. The driver is lucky to have survived that with just two broken vertebrae and a shattered hand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the hell is up with people who cross into oncoming traffic to get around obstructions (garbage truck, mailman, delivery van.. whatever) and then give ME a dirty look when I tap my horn at them for blocking me from traveling the other direction?

Listen shitfaces, that's my lane, not yours. The rules of the road don't change to give you the right of way just because something's in the way. You stop your dumb rear end behind the roadblock and wait for a clear lane before going. :colbert:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

xzzy posted:

What the hell is up with people who cross into oncoming traffic to get around obstructions (garbage truck, mailman, delivery van.. whatever) and then give ME a dirty look when I tap my horn at them for blocking me from traveling the other direction?

Listen shitfaces, that's my lane, not yours. The rules of the road don't change to give you the right of way just because something's in the way. You stop your dumb rear end behind the roadblock and wait for a clear lane before going. :colbert:

God drat is this the dumbest poo poo ever. "Oh, there's something blocking my lane, guess I'll drive into oncoming traffic!"

So loving stupid. Has to be one of those dangerous things I see on the regular. In general, people driving into oncoming traffic is probably 90% of the issues I see out on the roads here. The other 10% is people driving the same direction changing lanes without checking, tailgating, or road raging.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I regularly get honked at for not crossing into the oncoming lane to go around a delivery truck or whatever. gently caress you buddy, there's oncoming traffic.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

revmoo posted:

God drat is this the dumbest poo poo ever. "Oh, there's something blocking my lane, guess I'll drive into oncoming traffic!"

So loving stupid. Has to be one of those dangerous things I see on the regular. In general, people driving into oncoming traffic is probably 90% of the issues I see out on the roads here. The other 10% is people driving the same direction changing lanes without checking, tailgating, or road raging.

I deal with this every single morning, as the road I take into work ALWAYS has trucks completely stopped in the middle of the road, and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I always make sure it's clear before going into the other lane, but you can't always see if the stopped vehicle is gigantic. Sometimes another car will be coming in the opposite direction, but never close enough to even give a dirty look or hinder the other driver in any way. Some people just like to pull out immediately without even attempting to see if its clear, never did understand the logic behind that.

Speaking of driving in the wrong lane, why do people swerve completely out of the way when a bicycle or motorcyclist is sharing the lane? I see people swerve over to the shoulder in the fast lane all the time when a motorcycle approaches. These also tend to be the same people that don't notice the motorcycle until the very last second. What is so difficult about making a slight adjustment to keep to the left side of the lane, rather than almost swerving into the center divide?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

joe944 posted:

Speaking of driving in the wrong lane, why do people swerve completely out of the way when a bicycle or motorcyclist is sharing the lane? I see people swerve over to the shoulder in the fast lane all the time when a motorcycle approaches. These also tend to be the same people that don't notice the motorcycle until the very last second. What is so difficult about making a slight adjustment to keep to the left side of the lane, rather than almost swerving into the center divide?
People have no idea how much space their vehicle takes up, and are also bad at judging how much space is really between them and other stuff on the road.

See also: People who swerve way away from cars parked on the side of the road, even when there's plenty of room to stay in their lane.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Also see also: People who swerve right to make left turns.

And that side of the car (for LHD, anyway) is clearly visible out the goddamn window.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Smoke posted:

Nope, she was driving alone. Here's an article from the day of the accident with photos of the aftermath. The driver is lucky to have survived that with just two broken vertebrae and a shattered hand.

Thank god, because I'm pretty sure I saw some small gym bag and what looked like a children's backpack, which made it really scary :ohdear:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Smoke posted:

That's too bad, she's probably going to keep driving and kill somebody who matters.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Haifisch posted:

See also: People who swerve way away from cars parked on the side of the road, even when there's plenty of room to stay in their lane.

Not sure of what all this encompasses for you, but in Arizona it is a law that if there is a vehicle stopped on the side of the road with flashers on (whether that be a dude with his hazards on, or an emergency vehicle with the lights going), you must either change lanes out of the bordering lane to pass, or slow down to some nebulous and arbitrary 'safe speed' to pass them. I just hit the turn signal and get out of the lane.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

The Locator posted:

Not sure of what all this encompasses for you, but in Arizona it is a law that if there is a vehicle stopped on the side of the road with flashers on (whether that be a dude with his hazards on, or an emergency vehicle with the lights going), you must either change lanes out of the bordering lane to pass, or slow down to some nebulous and arbitrary 'safe speed' to pass them. I just hit the turn signal and get out of the lane.

There's a law like this in Texas, you have to slow down twenty mph or get over a lane for police, emergency, and TXDoT vehicles. Lots of people interpret it as "freak the gently caress out and swerve over or slow down to twenty".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

There's a law like this in Texas, you have to slow down twenty mph or get over a lane for police, emergency, and TXDoT vehicles. Lots of people interpret it as "freak the gently caress out and swerve over or slow down to twenty".

We have that here, except people think that every lane needs to slow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EightBit posted:

In most places I've been, even people in oncoming traffic will jam on the brakes when they see a lit car. Doesn't matter if there's a huge concrete barrier or it's an 8 lane highway or whatever, I guess they feel like they gotta go 20 under the speed limit in case the officer decides to give up on whatever they're already doing and flip around to pull someone else over.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
The problem is when people slow down when the accident is on the OTHERSIDE of the highway across the big concrete barrier. Nothing to see assholes, keep moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PaganGoatPants posted:

The problem is when people slow down when the accident is on the OTHERSIDE of the highway across the big concrete barrier. Nothing to see assholes, keep moving.

Yeah, we can't just have 1 accident anymore. It's got to be a cluster of 5 or 6 from idiots trying to get a picture with their phone to post on facebook "OMG i almost died to day look at this accident i was almost in"