Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

rotor posted:

It'll be about 3 weeks drying before I get out there again, hope its dry enough.

Was it dry? :question:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

some was, some wasn't. put in about another six feet worth of deck, am now half done

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it was recently decided that we would pay an assload of money to put in an actual sewer system and build the next two cabins and also have power pulled in from the pole, so I think I'm probably done with DIY posts for a whole, look for my posts in the finance forum for things like "how do I feed a family of 4 on $3 a week"

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

rotor posted:

it was recently decided that we would pay an assload of money to put in an actual sewer system and build the next two cabins and also have power pulled in from the pole, so I think I'm probably done with DIY posts for a whole, look for my posts in the finance forum for things like "how do I feed a family of 4 on $3 a week"

Coolio, when's that going to happen?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

rotor posted:

So your wife didn't go for the outhouse + no electricity plan? Do you mean septic/water treatment plant (this is a thing now apparently) or are you actually hooking up to some crazy rural sewer system?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
The normal thing would be a rainwater collection tank and a septic tank, separate of course. I don't know about water treatment plants but electricity is probably the only thing that will need to come a long way

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fork bomb posted:

Coolio, when's that going to happen?

I have a contractor for the water tanks + septic, hoping I can get him to be the general contractor on the cabins & power as well. I should be meeting him this weekend if things work out. The reason I like him is that he can work weekends, which is the only time I can be up there, which violates my First Rule of Contractors, which is that You Must Always Watch Them Because Otherwise They Will gently caress Up Your poo poo.

PuTTY riot posted:

So your wife didn't go for the outhouse + no electricity plan?

no. Girls are so bad.

quote:

Do you mean septic/water treatment plant (this is a thing now apparently) or are you actually hooking up to some crazy rural sewer system?

septic tank + pump uphill to the leach field. Just the idea of a sewage pump fills me with horror. But oh my heavens ladies could certainly never just use an outhouse, they must poop delicately into a flush toilet just so.

bobbilljim posted:

The normal thing would be a rainwater collection tank and a septic tank, separate of course. I don't know about water treatment plants but electricity is probably the only thing that will need to come a long way

rainwater collection is nice but mostly we're payin a dude $200 to deliver 3000 gallons of potable water.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Rotor, your deck looks very nice.

Good luck with your girl poop project.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

rotor posted:

septic tank + pump uphill to the leach field. Just the idea of a sewage pump fills me with horror. But oh my heavens ladies could certainly never just use an outhouse, they must poop delicately into a flush toilet just so

Make a deal with her that you will teach her all about pumps so she can fix the septic pump when it invariably fails, or bait and switch a composting toilet.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

rotor posted:

septic tank + pump uphill to the leach field. Just the idea of a sewage pump fills me with horror.

:eng101: That'll be an effluent pump, not a sewage pump.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Make a deal with her that you will teach her all about pumps so she can fix the septic pump when it invariably fails

My personal experience is that it's the float switches that like to fail, rather than the pump.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Zhentar posted:

:eng101: That'll be an effluent pump, not a sewage pump.

My personal experience is that it's the float switches that like to fail, rather than the pump.

That's because they don't make 'em like they used to.

My first house in Norfolk, VA had a sump pump from back around the time electricity was invented. It was a hollow glass bulb with two contacts in it, half full of mercury. Water comes up, bulb floats, mercury hits contacts, pump comes on.

Yes, a light bulb full of mercury is BY FAR the easiest and most robust solution to this problem. It clearly worked like a charm, because it was still just fine nearly a hundred years later. The wire had been swapped with SO cord about an inch from the bulb and the pump was only about thirty years old, but that float switch will probably last as long as glass does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
They really must not make them like they used to.

I work in a plant with hundreds if not thousands of mercury wetted switches and reliability is the main reason for trying to get rid of them.

Then again you can fix a mercury wetted relay by giving it a gentle shake.

• Locked thread