Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

FireSight posted:

Skull with magos, face to face with Amacita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
skull magos, meat amacita

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

skull magos, meat amacita

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
A and D sounds like the way to go. We can outsource part of the investigation to the Magos and deal with Amacita face to face.

We can tell Limosa that we appreciate his offer but we have already taken our daily dose of nutrients for the day and invite him to join us tomorrow in our prayers and rituals to the Omnissiah but since he's not an initiate, he'll obviously need to wait outside for the several hours it may take.

LowellDND posted:

Speculatively, the thread is currently thinking Slaanesh cult

And how wrong they are.

I'm not sure if we should contact the Inquisitor just yet.

There's no need to jump to conclusions since this is obviously a fringe Imperial cult dedicated to serving the Emperor via improving on the frailties of the human body. Just as we and even other Space Marine Chapters recognise the weakness of flesh and augment ourselves with the purity of the machine, they have chosen to use a better cut of meat for the same purpose.

Who doesn't want to have better hearing to savour the words of the Imperial Truth? Or better eyes in which to gaze upon holy icons and his visage?

...Or a better sense of taste to devour his immortal essence?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Kegslayer posted:

And how wrong they are.

I'm not sure if we should contact the Inquisitor just yet.

There's no need to jump to conclusions since this is obviously a fringe Imperial cult dedicated to serving the Emperor via improving on the frailties of the human body. Just as we and even other Space Marine Chapters recognise the weakness of flesh and augment ourselves with the purity of the machine, they have chosen to use a better cut of meat for the same purpose.

Who doesn't want to have better hearing to savour the words of the Imperial Truth? Or better eyes in which to gaze upon holy icons and his visage?

...Or a better sense of taste to devour his immortal essence?

Well, crazy radical cults often cause more damage then actual honest outsider heretics.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kegslayer posted:

We can tell Limosa that we appreciate his offer but we have already taken our daily dose of nutrients for the day and invite him to join us tomorrow in our prayers and rituals to the Omnissiah but since he's not an initiate, he'll obviously need to wait outside for the several hours it may take.

No, don't be a dick. Limosa's probably a slimy poo poo but we must play the family game for now. Not going to this party is already going to come back and bite us, but not investigating what looks like a chaos cult will... probably be worse.

Go meet Amacita. Please don't meat Amacita, and if we do, be gentle, and remember to get clear consent.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Chantilly Say posted:

Go meet Amacita. Please don't meat Amacita, and if we do, be gentle, and remember to get clear consent.

http://i.imgur.com/6MDYxTQ.jpg? (slightly :nws:)

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

No, don't be a dick. Limosa's probably a slimy poo poo but we must play the family game for now. Not going to this party is already going to come back and bite us, but not investigating what looks like a chaos cult will... probably be worse.

Limosa's not going to take us up on our offer but there's no way we should completely ignore and decline his invitation without offering some sort of recompense.

We're a tech priest and anyone remotely familiar with the cult like the inner Family members will know the importance of the rituals as well as their secrecy. Being invited by a tech priest to attend supplication and maintenance rituals is a pretty big deal and is the equivalent of say being invited by a Space Marine to watch him clean his weapons.

It's a big honour but it's also going to be mind numbingly boring for the observer. It's the best way we can both thank and attack Limosa.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kegslayer posted:

Limosa's not going to take us up on our offer but there's no way we should completely ignore and decline his invitation without offering some sort of recompense.

We're a tech priest and anyone remotely familiar with the cult like the inner Family members will know the importance of the rituals as well as their secrecy. Being invited by a tech priest to attend supplication and maintenance rituals is a pretty big deal and is the equivalent of say being invited by a Space Marine to watch him clean his weapons.

It's a big honour but it's also going to be mind numbingly boring for the observer. It's the best way we can both thank and attack Limosa.

Okay, I misunderstood you. My bad, we should actually do this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Kegslayer posted:

Mean thing to do.

This a dick move and therefore has my approval. Let's do this.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

Imma go ahead and say you've been given the location of some one-time use dead-drops where you can leave information (in, of course, a one-time pad), that will eventually make their way to him. Probably.

Of course, this implies that there is someone else on this ship who a) has access to those drops, and b) has access to an astropath in some way.

Whether you've met said person yet, well :D

Oh god. The Lord Sire. He's either the inquisitor himself (who the gently caress has a centurion suit without being a chapter master?!), or the Maxilla to Kozilek's Eisenhorn, isn't he. :tinfoil:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Waci posted:

Oh god. The Lord Sire. He's either the inquisitor himself (who the gently caress has a centurion suit without being a chapter master?!), or the Maxilla to Kozilek's Eisenhorn, isn't he. :tinfoil:

Was wondering who would catch the centurion suit. Im not saying he's in the Inquisition, mind, but there is DEFINITELY a story behind it.

When you get into the Retinue, or even become the Trader yourself, you'll find out a lot of fun things :D

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waci posted:

I thought it was because he's Rich As gently caress.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Shadeoses posted:

I thought it was because he's Rich As gently caress.

Oh, he's that too, but at that level of play, money doesn't matter. Its favors. Either the Rogue Trader, or some ancestor of his, did something so tremendous that one of the rare(r) suits of armor in a very rare army was worth the trade.

"War40k WIki posted:

A Centurion is a Space Marine who has been equipped with a powered exoskeleton worn over his normal suit of Power Armour known as a Centurion warsuit that allows him to serve a heavy ranged or close combat assault role between that of a normal Astartes and a Terminator. A Centurion warsuit enables a Space Marine to stride into battle with the firepower of a battle tank at his fingertips. Protected by thick ablative plates of ceramite, a Centurion warsuit renders its pilot immune to all but the most powerful of weapons. Named after the Space Marine Legion leaders of old, the Centurion warsuit design was unearthed in the aftermath of the Age of Apostasy in the 36th Millennium, and after sanction by the Adeptus Mechanicus, the suits found their way into the armouries of almost every Space Marine Chapter.

Centurion Assault Squads excel at storming enemy fortifications and advancing through the broken and crumbling terrain of an embattled city. They eschew long-ranged weapons completely, favouring close-range firearms and Flamers that they use for flushing enemies from cover. Instead of heavy guns, they wield Siege Drills -- heavy-duty tools of destruction that can swiftly shatter a building to rubble, tear a breach in a strong point's adamantium-reinforced walls or reduce a living opponent to a bloody mass of broken bone.

Assault Centurions are normally deployed in fortified battle zones where sight lines are too crowded to bring siege tanks to bear, and routes of advance too constrictive to deploy an Ironclad Dreadnought. Under such circumstances, Assault Centurions form the vanguard of the attack, using their breaching tools to tear through any obstacles in their path, while drawing the defenders' fire away from the Tactical Squads that follow in their wake

One useful side quest might be to find out what Chapter it came from, and if they are still around.

Loel fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 14, 2014

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So I guess the real question is does a centurion suit, like a battle tank, have a spirit? And if it does, does it want to make new friends?

And/or if a suit malfunctioned for some unspecified and unknown reason could it murder kill it's wearer?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

So I guess the real question is does a centurion suit, like a battle tank, have a spirit? And if it does, does it want to make new friends?

And/or if a suit malfunctioned for some unspecified and unknown reason could it murder kill it's wearer?

War40k wiki posted:

Power Armour is an advanced form of powered combat armour, worn primarily by the Space Marines and the Chaos Space Marines. It is a completely enclosed suit of combat armour composed of shaped Adamantium and Plasteel plates, encased in a Ceramite ablative layer. Each suit possesses a full suite of life-support functions for operation in hostile environments, an automated medicae system to provide some level of first aid to a wounded wearer and a highly advanced and fully integrated tactical targeting and threat analysis system known as Auto-senses. The suit would be heavy and cumbersome to wear but for the electrically motivated fibre bundles within the armour that replicates the wearer's movement and enhances his strength beyond its already considerable superhuman baseline (for Space Marines). Whilst Power Armour is most commonly associated with the Space Marines of the Adeptus Astartes, the Sisters of Battle and many Inquisitors also use powered armour of one sort or another. Typically, however, these armours may not contain the same strength-enhancing properties or life-support functions of Space Marine Power Armour, nor do they always provide the same level of protection.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
lol is that the baby carrier

how's our good rogue trader using that considering he's not spehss marine

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

lol is that the baby carrier

how's our good rogue trader using that considering he's not spehss marine

Thats a good question :D

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Outrail posted:

Insofar as a tech priest is concerned the answer to both is yes,
Secretly sabotaging the suit without leaving a trace could be a whole mini adventure in itself.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Secretly sabotaging the suit without leaving a trace could be a whole mini adventure in itself.

It's an incredibly old piece of tech that nobody understands. I'm sure malfunctions happen all the time. When we have time we should find out who looks after our Lord Sire's wargear.

Picking up the suit was a nice catch but I think we also missed one other clue. We're really playing Black Crusade here aren't we? :getin:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

If you're going to shoot at a king, don't miss.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kegslayer posted:

It's an incredibly old piece of tech that nobody understands. I'm sure malfunctions happen all the time. When we have time we should find out who looks after our Lord Sire's wargear.

Picking up the suit was a nice catch but I think we also missed one other clue. We're really playing Black Crusade here aren't we? :getin:

I may have those rules on my desktop also for some reason :getin:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

LowellDND posted:

I may have those rules on my desktop also for some reason :getin:

Watch out guys, make enough certain choices and ohone will turn her back on the corpse emperor and mankind weak cattle fit only for sacrifice and pledges herself to the ruinous powers the Glorious powers!.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

serious talk here we should confiscate his Warrant for being stupid enough to strap into one of these

jesus it's like an xzbit meme

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Watch out guys, make enough certain choices and ohone will turn her back on the corpse emperor and mankind weak cattle fit only for sacrifice and pledges herself to the ruinous powers the Glorious powers!.

found you

Loel fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 14, 2014

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nope.

I'm thinking more that at the high level meeting where the Lord Sire is announcing that this Psyker is his heir he stops and makes a weird noise before reaching up and twisting his own head off. His power armor then hands us his head while we announce that we have the entire hulk rigged with cyclone torpedoes, have united the Deeps who now stand behind us and have full control over all life support functions which are about to pump nerve gas into the bridge and why are you not on your kneeling before your new lord and could someone please toss that loving psyker out the airlock?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

serious talk here we should confiscate his Warrant for being stupid enough to strap into one of these

ah, see, the picture I was using was

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Outrail posted:

Nope.

I'm thinking more that at the high level meeting where the Lord Sire is announcing that this Psyker is his heir he stops and makes a weird noise before reaching up and twisting his own head off. His power armor then hands us his head while we announce that we have the entire hulk rigged with cyclone torpedoes, have united the Deeps who now stand behind us and have full control over all life support functions which are about to pump nerve gas into the bridge and why are you not on your kneeling before your new lord and could someone please toss that loving psyker out the airlock?

Enormous amount of work needed, and possibly some shortcuts. :cthulhu::hf::devil:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

No, that's a Dreadknight. Only Grey Knights get those. What he's got is a Centurion which is...well, not much better, actually.

LowelDND's got the right pics.

e: And hell, since I found the pic:

A Devastator (long range) Centurion as opposed to the Assault Centurion that LowelDND posted.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 14, 2014

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current polling:

A
B
C
D
E
A/D x x x x x x x x x x
(skull with magus)
B/D x
DCA x
ABD x

Vote still open, A/D is nicely in the lead

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I haven't really kept up to date with the fluff but what's the difference between the centurion suit and terminator armour?

Is terminator armour still the premium in protective armour or is centurion a step up?

If centurion armour is so rare, would a tech priest like us even be able to begin to understand and modify it? Would we even be able to recognise what it was?

Planning for the future, I'm not sure if we should even try taking on the Rogue Trader at all. His suit isn't going to be his only layer of protection and if he has the resources to even acquire the suit in the first place then who knows what else he has up his sleeve. Our best bet to take the warrant is still probably going to be nominated as the designated heir when our Lord Sire ascends to glorious daemonhood retires peacefully.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

LowellDND posted:

<image>
found you

You might want to rehost this.

Please give me a second while I make the appropriate rite of gently caress OFF, CHAOS for this occasion.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I forgot to vote, but since A/B is going to win I'll vote X (Dissect and eat Woodhouse) just because.

But seriously, we should stick Woodhouse through a grim dark MRI machine and check no one's implanted our man with some ecstasy secreting organs.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

You might want to rehost this.

Please give me a second while I make the appropriate rite of gently caress OFF, CHAOS for this occasion.

Ah, thanks

You only need like 80 or so insanity or corruption before I get to break out the Black Crusade rules :devil:

Outrail posted:

I forgot to vote, but since A/B is going to win I'll vote X (Dissect and eat Woodhouse) just because.

This guy's got the right idea!

Loel fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 14, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kegslayer posted:

I haven't really kept up to date with the fluff but what's the difference between the centurion suit and terminator armour?

Is terminator armour still the premium in protective armour or is centurion a step up?

If centurion armour is so rare, would a tech priest like us even be able to begin to understand and modify it? Would we even be able to recognise what it was?

In game terms, the Centurion increases your Toughness but lacks the Invulnerable Save that Terminators get. What that means is that a Centurion is actually harder to kill with infantry weapons like lasguns and bolters and the like, but easier to kill with dedicated anti-tank weapons like lascannons and melta-guns.

Centurions carry bigger guns than Terminators, but since Centurions are piloted by regular marines as opposed to elite veterans the way Terminators are, Terminators are arguably better in hand to hand combat than Centurions. Certainly Assault Terminators will probably crush Assault Centurions in a hammer vs drill fight.

In short, Terminator Armor probably is rarer and more elite than Centurion Armor, as indicated by the fact that only veterans and officers get to wear Terminator suits while they'll put any old Marine in a Centurion.

As far as recognize it? We'd be able to recognize it, sure. You've never heard of them because they've only been added to the game in the last few years, but retroactively, Centurions have been around for centuries. Understand and modify? That's a whole different kettle of fish, and would probably require us moving farther down the Tech trees as opposed to the infiltration unit direction we've been heading.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Can't wait for LowellDND to break out the Halo Devices.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

jng2058 posted:

As far as recognize it? We'd be able to recognize it, sure. You've never heard of them because they've only been added to the game in the last few years, but retroactively, Centurions have been around for centuries. Understand and modify? That's a whole different kettle of fish, and would probably require us moving farther down the Tech trees as opposed to the infiltration unit direction we've been heading.

Which is why you want to have some heretekaly minded guys on your retainer, just far enough from you that you can deny ever knowing them when the grox leavings hit the rotating oscillator.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Green Intern posted:

Can't wait for LowellDND to break out the Halo Devices.

Brb giving one to an Eversor http://pastebin.com/kPxgsEes

Courtesy of Daeren of SA, not my work.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I'll add another vote to the majority.

However, should we check our guy to make sure he just got the chemical version, and doesn't have a gland implanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Does our Lord Sire sport an Iron Halo to go with his suit of incredibly powerful armor? It's the sort of thing he'd need to really deal with a demon.