Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Metropolis posted:

It's bad in basically every way a show can be bad, except it's not boring.

That's why the ratings haven't tanked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well, this is being sent to die :

quote:

Syfy's announced that all six episodes of its alt-history space show Ascension will air in three days. Its release date has also moved from November to December 15, 2014. With two episodes airing every day, the miniseries will be gone by December 17

http://io9.com/this-bodes-ill-syfys-announced-that-all-six-episodes-o-1646028405

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What even is the point of doing this?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

What even is the point of doing this?

I could there being a larger order coming out of it. BSG did it the same way with the premiere over two nights if I remember correctly.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Edit: I'm dumb. I thought they were just burying it like Blood and Chrome or the last half of Caprica. But maybe they're... not burying it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

I could there being a larger order coming out of it. BSG did it the same way with the premiere over two nights if I remember correctly.

BSG was a 2 part miniseries.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DirtyRobot posted:

or will, at the very least, take a chance on something that isn't wrestling for the first time in basically a decade

You haven't been watching Syfy much have you? They have tons of genre appropriate programming.

Syfy is better recently than it has been in the past 10 years.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

bull3964 posted:

You haven't been watching Syfy much have you? They have tons of genre appropriate programming.

Syfy is better recently than it has been in the past 10 years.

I basically retracted that post, but my point was that they did seem to be turning it around and had been making good decisions both with recent new shows and other ones in the works, until I thought they were randomly burying this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SciFi was the best when it ran 7 hours of Stargate every day

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

For those who care, The Profit season premiere is tonight.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

SciFi was the best when it ran 7 hours of Stargate every day

Stargate and Twilight Zone.
And a power hour of Transformers and Robotech in the mornings. Would get up to watch that poo poo every day before school.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Sci-Fi Channel was at its best when it was Wonder Woman, Manimal, and The Prisoner marathons hosted by Harlan Ellison.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

xbilkis posted:

It really is remarkable. Seinfeld could get by despite Jerry being a terrible actor because everyone else was so good, but everyone on Mulaney is so over the top that it's unbearable. Nasim Pedrad is still acting like she's in a live sketch show for a sitcom, the drug dealer guy is basically "too much" personified, and the PA in yesterday's episode might be the worst actor I've ever seen in anything on the scale of a network television program.

It's like they set out to make a colorful cast but went ahead and gave every single person a heap of zany character traits. It's okay to let some characters resemble normal people on your television show.

You forgot how Mulaney once again went to the old gay man next door for advice. I mean, goddamn.

I actually listened to both of Mulaney's standup albums during a long drive last week and they were loving hilarious. Dude is legitimately funny as hell and clever, so I can't for the life of me figure out how the gently caress he's managing to make something as terrible as his show (and performance in the show, Jesus Christ) is. Again, I was left feeling like Mulaney is supposed to be a parody of multicam shows but all those elements got noted out of oblivion by the network and so we were just left with incredibly telegraphed jokes and plot elements.

Oh and that PA--holy poo poo, I haven't ever seen reads that bad on TV. Not in the most dire zero-effort loving Jim Belushi vehicle have there been actors that bad. I just... I don't understand what the gently caress is going on with Mulaney.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of Syfy, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are developing a series for them.

quote:

According to the press release sent out by Syfy, the new series Incorporated will take place in a future world where "corporations have seemingly unlimited power." And the story centers around one character who is trying to beat that system.

A world with all powerful corporations? Sounds pretty far fetched to me.

Also, how bad is OUAT now that it is apparently Frozen the TV show?

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

GraPar posted:

Hey, the first episode of The Affair was pretty drat good.

Yeah it was okay. Once you get past the fact that just about every character in Dominic West's family is an insufferable prick (which, given the narrative style, actually makes sense), it is a decent show, albeit predictable.

Really, I was ready to completely write it off until Part 2 of the ep. At least wait it out through the full episode before making a judgement call on it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Speaking of Syfy, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are developing a series for them.

A world with all powerful corporations? Sounds pretty far fetched to me.

So basically Continuum except set solely in the future.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Also, how bad is OUAT now that it is apparently Frozen the TV show?

I only watched the season premiere out of morbid curiosity, but you know...bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watched the first season of OUAT in my darkest days of Needing poo poo to Watch and well, that's a real bad show. Then I started reading about how all the Frozen poo poo has "ruined it" and well, I just can't conceive.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I stopped watching OUAT in the middle of last season, in which it was revealed that literally every single character is related somehow, and their great-grandpa is Peter Pan.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

I watched the first season of OUAT in my darkest days of Needing poo poo to Watch and well, that's a real bad show. Then I started reading about how all the Frozen poo poo has "ruined it" and well, I just can't conceive.

My wife likes that awful show, and I don't think anything this season has "ruined" it any more than it already was.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Once Upon a Time is a bad show, and has always been a bad show, that still manages to scratch an itch you never knew you had. It's campy and ridiculous and silly and stupid and your IQ lowers 20% for the next 24 hours after watching an episode, but despite all that it's still fun.

I don't get the Frozen complaints. The show isn't doing anything different with this than they have with a half dozen other fairy tales they've introduced, from Peter Pan to Snow White to Wonderland.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Been watching The Trailer Park Boys the entire Columbus Day weekend and that poo poo is addictive. Its not a laugh a minute thing, kind of you gives you those wry smiles you'd have watching a Guest mockumentary, but once in a while you'd just erupt into guffaws at a new bit of ridiculousness. The characters and the ongoing story is what keeps you watching though, their stupid goals and the ensuing shitstorm at the end of each season, and how they kind of rise from the ashes, like some sort of poo poo bird, from a poo poo slide, from a Pompeian poo poo-calapse (I LOVE Jim Lahey).

What I'm trying to see is watch it already, ya pricks.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Kitties aren't s'posed to smell like cigarettes, they're s'posed to smell like kitties.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

"What's an aptitude test?"

"Suitability test, Ricky."

"Well I'll wear a suit if I have to."

It's the simple things.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jack Gladney posted:

The Sci-Fi Channel was at its best when it was Wonder Woman, Manimal, and The Prisoner marathons hosted by Harlan Ellison.
Quantum Leap reruns

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wrong, when they had new episodes of MST3K. I still haven't forgiven them for canceling it :argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do yall ever watch Lawrence Welk reruns on Saturday Afternoons? That is some weird poo poo.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Manos del Sino posted:

Once Upon a Time is a bad show, and has always been a bad show, that still manages to scratch an itch you never knew you had. It's campy and ridiculous and silly and stupid and your IQ lowers 20% for the next 24 hours after watching an episode, but despite all that it's still fun.

I don't get the Frozen complaints. The show isn't doing anything different with this than they have with a half dozen other fairy tales they've introduced, from Peter Pan to Snow White to Wonderland.
A fair assessment, but it is at least fun to watch.

The only thing different about them using Frozen this (half)-season is that they pretty much had to jump through a bunch of hoops from Disney - so they keep the movie as the origin story instead of inventing their own - and presumably whatever arcs they wanted for the characters they could put their own spin on it but still needed approval from Disney. Other than that there's nothing really offensive about it at all. Also, instead of anthology-style flashbacks which they normally do the flashbacks are linear and currently pertain to the Frozen cast moving onward from the movie and the other characters they added for the half-season. It's pretty good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Do yall ever watch Lawrence Welk reruns on Saturday Afternoons? That is some weird poo poo.

That was running on tv at the same time as All in the Family and MOD Squad and stuff, too.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

James Woods Fan posted:

Also the trailer for the stupendously awful looking Powers adaptation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P02QmncDOzM

It's not as bad as it could be given it is written by Bendis maybe the worst comic author working today.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's not even the worst comic book writer whose middle name is Michael.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

It's not as bad as it could be given it is written by Bendis maybe the worst comic author working today.

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

You heard it here folks Jeph Loeb > Bendis.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sbaldrick posted:

I like how you say this when Bendis has written some amazing stuff, and Powers is a really good comic. There are also much much worse writers out there, like Scott Lobdell and Mark Millar

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You've made powerful enemies this day sbaldrick.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Sober posted:

A fair assessment, but it is at least fun to watch.

The only thing different about them using Frozen this (half)-season is that they pretty much had to jump through a bunch of hoops from Disney - so they keep the movie as the origin story instead of inventing their own - and presumably whatever arcs they wanted for the characters they could put their own spin on it but still needed approval from Disney. Other than that there's nothing really offensive about it at all. Also, instead of anthology-style flashbacks which they normally do the flashbacks are linear and currently pertain to the Frozen cast moving onward from the movie and the other characters they added for the half-season. It's pretty good.

I basically agree with what you're saying except that for some reason it doesn't click for me anymore. But that's not from the Frozen stuff, I also quit last season during the Peter Pan crap. My only real complaint about the Frozen material is Christoff looks awful. Thanks for lampshading it instead of casting someone cute, I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sbaldrick posted:

Now that's funny.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The worst you can say about Bendis is he's sorta bland and writes plots that frequently don't go anywhere.

This is an industry where John Byrne has written about Superman being mind-control raped, JMS tried to turn Superman into John Galt, and Mark Millar... gently caress, Millar's Superman story is actually okay so I can't keep that theme, but he's loving Millar.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
House of M for the win, maybe the only storyline worst then that is One More Day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sbaldrick posted:

House of M for the win, maybe the only storyline worst then that is One More Day.

Someone needs to read the 90s comics or even some DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like House of M.

• Locked thread