Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I drink my alcohol with crazy straws because I am young at heart and it makes drinking fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Any alcohol not taken from the bottle/intravenously is a sign of weakness

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Even though I've seen it at least twenty times, I recently caught something in Hot Fuzz that I hadn't seen before.

When Nicolas Angel is kicking the underaged kids out of the bar on his first night in Sandford, it's not just the fact that they're young-looking, have glinting braces, and have that puberty squeal that tip him off to their age. They're all drinking the beer with straws, the sign of the inexperienced.

I can't believe I just saw it now.

You don't think it's just a combination of all those things? it's not like he did a quadruple take.

http://youtu.be/XFMrBldVk0s?t=2m1s

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

strangeless posted:

You don't think it's just a combination of all those things? it's not like he did a quadruple take.

http://youtu.be/XFMrBldVk0s?t=2m1s

I was bitterly disappointed that you hadn't linked to the actual scene so here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2gLBMXfnuw

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
As a kid I 'learned' that you could get drunk faster if you sipped beer through a straw. Or was that :thejoke: ?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mng posted:

As a kid I 'learned' that you could get drunk faster if you sipped beer through a straw. Or was that :thejoke: ?

It was a joke. The quickest way to get drunk is as follows:

1. Pour glass of bourbon
2. Drop a straw full of water into it
3. Drink glass of bourbon
4. Repeat

A true drinksman can down several glasses in an hour.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Solice Kirsk posted:

It was a joke. The quickest way to get drunk is as follows:

1. Pour glass of bourbon
2. Drop a straw full of water into it
3. Drink glass of bourbon
4. Repeat

A true drinksman can down several glasses in an hour.

I gave up on glasses long ago. Quickest way to get drunk is to just pour the bourbon down your throat.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Take it to TCC you drunks

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
gently caress YOU, DAD!

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
The quickest way to get drunk is to never be not drunk.

So this thread is basically for cool subtle moments in otherwise accessible mainstream movies. What's the most impenetrable mainstream movie that you can think of? I'm talking a movie that many people may have had the opportunity to see, or even that did well, but makes absogotdamlutely no sense.

My favorite movie to poo poo on that I ever paid money to see was Pushing Tin with Billy Bob Thornton and John Cusack. The plot was "there's a really cool air traffic controller who is bad-rear end at air-traffic controlling and he has an air traffic controlling feud with someone who was equally good at air traffic controlling but professional and not cool but saves lives. There's a girl and they go to the woods for some reason and then they lay on the runway and unfortunately don't die. Even the marginally cool air traffic controlling stuff was only in the first maybe 15 minutes of the movie?

Did that piece of poo poo have anything to say at all, or was it literally the most subtle movie ever? What a fuckin waste of money and time. (I'm talking about the production itself.) Was Angelina Jolie in that? Christ, I'm getting a heading trying to think about it.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

strangeless posted:

Pushing Tin

I thought Pushing Tin was about golf? What movie am I thinking about?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arx Monolith posted:

I thought Pushing Tin was about golf? What movie am I thinking about?

Tin Cup with Kevin Costner.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Pushing Tin was based off of this NY times article which was pretty good

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/24/magazine/something-s-got-to-give.html

strangeless
May 8, 2007

Just as I suspected, an interesting profile of cool dudes with stressful jobs was turned into teary-eyed slap-fights in the woods and pissing-and-moaning about manhood and getting old. These days it would be a documentary, I'm guessing.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

strangeless posted:

Just as I suspected, an interesting profile of cool dudes with stressful jobs was turned into teary-eyed slap-fights in the woods and pissing-and-moaning about manhood and getting old. These days it would be a documentary, I'm guessing.

Series on Discovery narrated by Mike Rowe, duh.

"Air Gods", coming Sundays at 9.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

JPrime posted:

If Mike Rowe narrates it, I'll watch it, regardless of how brain-shatteringly stupid it is. I'd listen to that man read the white pages.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

JPrime posted:

It would be pretty great if actual Sky Deities had a braindead "reality" show on discovery.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Alternative pants posted:

If Mike Rowe narrates it, I'll watch it, regardless of how brain-shatteringly stupid it is. I'd listen to that man read the white pages.

Beard, S - 901-43...27. Ya know, if you have some white pages you'd like me to read, go over to discover dot com slash whitepages. We sure could use the help finding phone numbers to say on television, and it's a good way to get me, Mike Rowe.. to say your last name.

edit: Now I'm gonna binge watch Dirty Jobs and Deadliest Catch. Thanks.

Arx Monolith has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Oct 4, 2014

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

strangeless posted:

It would be pretty great if actual Sky Deities had a braindead "reality" show on discovery.

Amun: Tzacol just doesn't care about anyone but himself. One day, he's gonna get whats coming to him.

<weird sawblade sounding effect that goes BWRRRRRIIIIIING>

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Arx Monolith posted:

Beard, S - 901-43...27. Ya know, if you have some white pages you'd like me to read, go over to discover dot com slash whitepages. We should could use the help finding phone numbers to say on television, and it's a good way to get me, Mike Rowe.. to say your last name.

edit: Now I'm gonna binge watch Dirty Jobs and Deadliest Catch. Thanks.

Read this in his voice. I can hear every syllable. Every pregnant pause. It's beautiful.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Watching Galaxy Quest again thanks to the GBS thread. The human-disguised aliens move awkwardly, like puppets, because in their true form they are octopus-like with tentacles.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008
In The Skeleton Twins, Milo reignites an affair with Rich, his former teacher, that began when he was 15. Later on, either Milo or Maggie mentions that they were 14 when their dad committed suicide. I thought that was a nice subtle detail that helped explain why the affair meant so much to Milo and why it might have happened in the first place without having to call attention to it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Watching Hook just now and noticed that the voice over the intercom on the plane at the beginning of the movie is actually Captain Hook.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
When Peter comes home to find the kids missing, there's a long hook-scar running along the wall all the way through the house. It's just a little bit of color that I really like in that movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alaemon posted:

When Peter comes home to find the kids missing, there's a long hook-scar running along the wall all the way through the house. It's just a little bit of color that I really like in that movie.

That seems kind of obvious but idk. There's also the hook shaped window latch.

Because you guys talked about it so much I'm watching it for the first time in years and the part where Tinkerbell is dragging Peter to neverland in a bedsheet but the pixie dust is spilling on the couple making out on the bridge and they're floating (because of happy thoughts) was also nice. Not terribly subtle but nice.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Because you guys talked about it so much I'm watching it for the first time in years and the part where Tinkerbell is dragging Peter to neverland in a bedsheet but the pixie dust is spilling on the couple making out on the bridge and they're floating (because of happy thoughts) was also nice. Not terribly subtle but nice.

What is subtle about that moment is that the couple is played by George Lucas and Carrie Fisher.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

syscall girl posted:

It is to some people; I've also discussed the movie with a fair number of people who've never noticed it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Alaemon posted:

It is to some people; I've also discussed the movie with a fair number of people who've never noticed it.

And I thought you were just being a smartass as people often do in this thread. I guess I'm not one to judge how subtle something is in that movie though since I saw it about a million times when it first came out.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I ended up watching Coherence thanks to a post in the Irrationally Irritating thread and something that made sense to me (though this may just be my own interpretation colouring things) is:

So I feel like on a re-watch the exchange at the start where Mike and Laurie are getting things wrong about each other is due to Laurie and Amir coming from a different reality, the native Laurie actually being a yoga instructor whose version of Roswell didn't star Mike.

That in turn makes it kind of make sense how so many other houses (the ones who made the boxes with the Ping-Pong paddle, the oven mitt, the stapler and the napkin) end up putting their boxes together so early that groups of Amir and Hughs keep picking them up - maybe the night starts with more than one Amir and Laurie showing up late to the dinner in those houses?

Anyway I thought the first bit was non-speculative enough to fit the thread.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I rewatched Kung Fu Hustle, and I noticed that the hallway leading up to The Beast's cell has a bunch of frogs. On first watch, they're just a way to show that this dude's cell is pretty much a dank dungeon, but then I realized that it foreshadows his Toad Style martial arts.

Not a huge thing, but a neat detail.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Not a movie, but I've been rewatching some old How I Met Your Mother, and I've noticed there are usually a few discretely placed ashtrays on the set. This ties in with the episode where it's revealed the gang all smoked on and off, makes for a nice little touch.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

And I thought you were just being a smartass as people often do in this thread. I guess I'm not one to judge how subtle something is in that movie though since I saw it about a million times when it first came out.

It's not a subtle movie moment but my cousin was Michael Eisner's son's nanny. He said he spent most of his time taking the kid to hockey games, which kind of parallels the thing where Peter can't make it to any of his son's baseball games. Anyways, my cousin brought an early script of Hook home for Christmas 1990/89? All I can really remember from it was that it was a lot more violent than the movie.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Not going to lie, I'd love to see a hard-R version of Hook.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Well, there's almost certainly a XXX version of Hook, so...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lincoln posted:

Well, there's almost certainly a XXX version of Hook, so...

Hooker?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

Watching Hook just now and noticed that the voice over the intercom on the plane at the beginning of the movie is actually Captain Hook.

Most people probably know this but the pirate that gets put in the Boo Box is actually Glenn Close. I don't think she's even credited for the part, but it's her.

Hah! I looked for the clip and found this: Pretty sure everyone knew Gwyneth Paltrow played the young Wendy's but Phil Collins played the inspector that comes when they report the kids missing. That one I didn't know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ar4x-hXIic

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

syscall girl posted:

Something I've always wondered about in Peter Pan and Hook is why Peter is (seemingly) the only person who can fly on happy thoughts alone.

Everyone else requires happy thoughts AND fairy dust.

One thing I did like about Hook was that you can tell that the Lost Boys are all from different time periods by their clothes. Most seem to be in the range of late 19th to mid 20th century, but at least a few (Rufio among them,) are from the later 20th century.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

DrBouvenstein posted:

Something I've always wondered about in Peter Pan and Hook is why Peter is (seemingly) the only person who can fly on happy thoughts alone.

Fairy dust is actually cocaine.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LoonShia posted:

Fairy dust is actually cocaine.

If anything that makes it even weirder that Robin Williams' character didn't have any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

DrBouvenstein posted:

Peter gets fairy dust thrown on him by Tink the first time she comes to London to get him.