Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Any tips for Banished? There's nothing in the Wiki and doing the thread search thing came up empty too.

I've had one shot at it so far, so I know how all the basic stuff works, but I found that after a certain point I went from having near-full food stores for several years to running out completely, despite the population not growing particularly much. Even after the population dropped due to starvation deaths I still struggled to bring in the food I had coming in before, even with the same number of farmers/fishers/hunters etc. My other game-ending problem was running out of iron completely, despite having a few people working the mine for it, resulting in all my tools running out so no more iron could be mined to make more tools...

Any advice for building placement/efficiency, what to prioritise and so on would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

juliuspringle posted:

After pretty much beating the poo poo out of New Vegas yesterday I've started playing Hitman Absolution again but it's been so long since I've played it I don't really remember anything.

Start on Normal. Play the game until you can level up your stealth some more before moving on to higher difficulties. If you start with a high difficulty right away, you are essentially guaranteed to have a bad time due to your stealth just sucking dick at the beginning.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
Anything for Nuclear Throne? I've only made it past zone 2 once so far.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (3DS).

Just started a game on casual, 2 hours in, don't mind to restart my game. What should I know (beside crying alot with party wipes)? Never played an EO before.

Thanks! :)

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Anyone got anything for Defense Grid: The Awakening? I've been dicking around with it while waiting for the Winter Sale and the hope that the sequel is on sale. I'm not entirely sure I need stuff about it but I love reading goons thoughts on games in this thread even for poo poo I'm not playing or have no interest in playing.

The first tower you get is also the best tower (especially upgraded). The cannon tower is probably the second best tower, build them behind the first.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

The first tower you get is also the best tower (especially upgraded). The cannon tower is probably the second best tower, build them behind the first.

So my standard (when possible) of placing a couple gun towers by a temporal tower with a cannon in back since it can't hit close things isn't terrible, good to know.

In Hitman: Absolution related news gently caress Terminus so hard.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Rage?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

It's a shooter. Yes, it looks like a Fallout-ish open world game, but really it's a shooter with minigames thrown in.

Craft a lot. Wingsticks are awesome. Always have at least one door-grinder. The little walky-guns are pretty good, the turrets and exploding cars not so much. Bandages are almost useless.

The plot will force you to race a few times. Other than that, racing is an ok way to make money, although the hard races are hard.

The MTG-ish minigame is fun and a good way to make money, but you need rare cards. The other minigames are dumb and boring.

Alternate ammo packs a huge punch. Thought that starter pistol had outlived it's usefulness? Load up some fatboy ammo and go nuts!

Yes, that was the ending. Yep, it's over.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Buy the addon so you can get the Nail Gun. Then use Railgun ammo in it so you can snipe people through walls. Oh also you can use it to shoot Rebar that will stick unarmored enemies to things.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Any tips for Banished? There's nothing in the Wiki and doing the thread search thing came up empty too.

I've had one shot at it so far, so I know how all the basic stuff works, but I found that after a certain point I went from having near-full food stores for several years to running out completely, despite the population not growing particularly much. Even after the population dropped due to starvation deaths I still struggled to bring in the food I had coming in before, even with the same number of farmers/fishers/hunters etc. My other game-ending problem was running out of iron completely, despite having a few people working the mine for it, resulting in all my tools running out so no more iron could be mined to make more tools...

Any advice for building placement/efficiency, what to prioritise and so on would be appreciated!

The problem was your population wasn't growing. If your population becomes stagnant you will find that workers will die off faster than they are replaced. If you haven't built a town hall, do it. It allows you to track statistics like food production and population growth.

Every year you should be building a few houses. The biggest problem with a growing a population is you have kids living with their parents and there just isn't enough room for a baby. Plus who wants to gently caress with their parents in the same house.

I usually set up my town with 5 house side by side in a row. I then put another 5 running parallel to them. Farms are directly across from the houses to cut down on walk time. I always try to build the biggest farm you can. I think it is 15x15. I then put down a log cutter, blacksmith, and weaver. Depending on my population and trade I might put down multiples. When you have a surplus of labor and a steady growth going, put down a school. Warehouses are very important. Build a lot of them for the years you don't produce as much.

It is possible to fish and hunt the wildlife to extinction. It takes a lot to do that and you should never run into the problem if you don't overlap hunting cottages or fishing docks. After I figure out where I'm putting my next expansion I would find a spot of untouched wilderness and put a gatherer's hut, hunting cottage, herbalist, tree cutter, and a house or two all together in the middle. Hunting lodges don't need to be where there are deer.

There is a removal tool that allows you to just collect a certain resource. If you find you are running low on iron, click the tool and make a huge square over iron. If you are still low on tools, make more blacksmiths.

My year usually starts with me pulling everyone from their usual jobs and making them farmers. When you click on a farm you can adjust how many people can work it. Large farms should have 6 workers, and at least 4. Orchards are luxuries. They take years to see a return and even then it isn't much. When winter comes I reassign all the farmers to various other jobs I need. Most buildings can have the maximum worker count raised, and it should be. Having one fishing dock with max workers is better than 3 with 1 or 2 workers.

It is possible to reach a point where your town becomes self sufficient. A friend of mine tried it. He said there would be years where a large population of the community would die off, but would rebound many years later for a surplus. You will be cursing old people in this game for taking up valuable space for a 20 year old to have a baby with a 11 year old.

I wish I could explain more about where to build poo poo, but without diagrams and screen caps I just can't explain it. Experiment. If you need more info on specific things let me know.

Only had one game where I lost. Had a huge famine where I lost about 250 people out of about 400 in a summer from starvation. The next year I had a tornado rip through my town killing another 50 or so. Still rebounded back from that. Lost many years later when another famine killed 3/4 of my population. Just wasn't enough people left to work.

gently caress tornadoes.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 15, 2014

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for the tips! I think my main issue was not building enough houses; I wasn't aware of how the whole "families" thing worked, I figured I had more than enough space as each house seemed to be able to hold 8 people. So as you said, eventually people died of old age quicker than new kids were born.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Vanquish? Just realized I had this from PS+.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Gynovore posted:

It's a shooter. Yes, it looks like a Fallout-ish open world game, but really it's a shooter with minigames thrown in.

Craft a lot. Wingsticks are awesome. Always have at least one door-grinder. The little walky-guns are pretty good, the turrets and exploding cars not so much. Bandages are almost useless.

The plot will force you to race a few times. Other than that, racing is an ok way to make money, although the hard races are hard.

The MTG-ish minigame is fun and a good way to make money, but you need rare cards. The other minigames are dumb and boring.

Alternate ammo packs a huge punch. Thought that starter pistol had outlived it's usefulness? Load up some fatboy ammo and go nuts!

Yes, that was the ending. Yep, it's over.
additionally, pop rockets pop rockets pop rockets pop rockets

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

beforeiplay.com entry posted:

- Weapons upgrade by either collecting a full weapon upgrade item which is a rarer drop and immediately boosts the weapon a full level or by, when at maximum ammo, picking a duplicate of the carried weapon which partially moves you towards a level up.
- Dropping weapons and switching them does not cause the level to drop, any weapon you pick up will be of the last level that weapon had achieved.
- Boost. Boost always. Boost forever. If you aren't boosting something is probably going wrong. You can play the game like a cover shooter and there are times where it is useful to do so, but keep in mind the game is designed around boosting and murder.
- If one of your squadmates goes down, revive them and they'll give you a weapon drop. Look for the green + sign over their heads.
- Easier weapon levelling (Taking an assault rifle as an example): Don't pick up an assault rifle if yours is half full of ammo. Instead, swap out weapons so you drop the half full assault rifle, pick up the full ammo assault rifle you originally came across, and then pick up the half ammo assault rifle you dropped. Instead of just refilling your ammo, this will help you level up. Note that you can only start doing this once weapons start appearing which are not one of your starting weapons - you can't drop a weapon if there isn't another weapon to pick up.

Additionally, don't run your boost out fully; if you do, you can't use it until it fully recharges.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Abyss Odyssey?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

RatHat posted:

Anything for Abyss Odyssey?
  • Trap enemies in corners to demolish them, this works really well with the first character's rapid special.
  • Monster souls are extra characters you can flip between with your main character. HP is remembered for each character when you swap. Don't forget to use them if things get hairy
  • The black and white stages are chances for you to get a monster soul for free; if you win the black and white stage, you get that monster's soul. If you had one already, it swaps out and you can swap it back in if you liked your old one more.
  • You can only hold so many potions, so choose carefully or use stuff when you find new potions
  • To unlock the third character, you need to go to the middle middle room and donate a bunch of money
  • You can buy camp tokens and set them in those hero altar things to set a respawn point for when you die. Better tokens let you respawn more times.
  • That last guy is a fuckface

holy poo poo i just saw that a patch came out that finally lets you save/resume a game, might need to get back to this sometime

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

duckfarts posted:

Additionally, don't run your boost out fully; if you do, you can't use it until it fully recharges.

Tips for fighting Gorgies;
  • Never sit still and just trade shots (see; Boost. Boost always. Boost forever). Unlike most game enemies, Gorgies will coordinate to move on you. While you're trading shots with one from cover, another two are creeping up from the side to shiv you with rifle bayonets.
  • Red Light = Targeting you, Blue Light = targeting Marines.
  • Shoot them in the face if you can. A gutshot can cut them in two, and then you've got a suicidal crawling torso coming at you to try and blow you up.

Tips for fighting Romanovs;

• Blind them before you do anything else. Shoot them in the face till the head pops and you'll have a much higher chance of surviving. They'll only shoot at wherever you last fired from, so you can get behind them and open up on them.
  • The Disc Launcher is the only thing that'll help against them on higher difficulties. Aim at the joints at lop off a few limbs (blue sparks coming off them means the joint's nearly destroyed and about to fall off).
  • Type-F's are hilariously easy to kill. Just shoot the "gently caress me here" tanks of napalm on their backs.
  • Type-G's can be hurt with their own mega-missile. If you time it right with a bit of bullet time, you can blow it up just as it launches and kill the Romanov with the blast.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

When facing larger enemies, boost towards them, flip kick, then shoot them in the face. Doing this in bullet time is quite possibly the most satisfying game mechanic ever created. It also strips a lot of health off of a Romanov.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Flame112 posted:

I just bought the Geneforge series and I don't know where to start. Are any of them incredibly outdated and should be skipped or anything?
The first two are still quite decent. First game is really easy if you play as a pure caster. The third is widely considered to be the worst. The fifth has the most modern UI (including support for windowed mode) and stands alone quite well. It was probably my favorite besides the second game and it was the only one I found rewarding to play as a shaper. You could start with either of those and then work from there, if you really like the story.

juliuspringle posted:

In Hitman: Absolution related news gently caress Terminus so hard.
I just started playing Hitman: Absolution again too. Terminus was a pain at first but it lets up after the first section. I've been playing on normal as suit-only infiltrator heavy and unlocking abilities like crazy. There is an entry on the wiki but it's important enough to reiterate that subduing (not killing) civilians and hiding the body is point-neutral: I found this to be very handy for the Vixen Club assassination.

I also believe that if you see there is a set of infiltrator goals for a mission then it is possible to complete without being spotted but if the goals aren't there, it's not. A lot of the time it's just about waiting for conversations to finish so people will move along. Seems like the game will tell you if a distraction is necessary in order to get a group of guards moving off an area.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

The first two are still quite decent. First game is really easy if you play as a pure caster. The third is widely considered to be the worst. The fifth has the most modern UI (including support for windowed mode) and stands alone quite well. It was probably my favorite besides the second game and it was the only one I found rewarding to play as a shaper. You could start with either of those and then work from there, if you really like the story.

I just started playing Hitman: Absolution again too. Terminus was a pain at first but it lets up after the first section. I've been playing on normal as suit-only infiltrator heavy and unlocking abilities like crazy. There is an entry on the wiki but it's important enough to reiterate that subduing (not killing) civilians and hiding the body is point-neutral: I found this to be very handy for the Vixen Club assassination.

I also believe that if you see there is a set of infiltrator goals for a mission then it is possible to complete without being spotted but if the goals aren't there, it's not. A lot of the time it's just about waiting for conversations to finish so people will move along. Seems like the game will tell you if a distraction is necessary in order to get a group of guards moving off an area.

My problem (and I'm still fighting with this from time to time) is that I was trying to do it absolutely perfectly instead of just trying to get the upgrade. I'm on Birdie's Gift now and I can't seem to get any of the challenges to unlock. Does it lock them if you kill people or what because I'm getting nothing.

edit: Vixen Club happened on accident. I was taking out a guard so I could use his keycard to access the room behind the mirror in the one curtained room and the guy wandered to where I was to see what was going on so I freaked out and murdered him with my bare hands after saying poo poo alot.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 15, 2014

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

juliuspringle posted:

My problem (and I'm still fighting with this from time to time) is that I was trying to do it absolutely perfectly instead of just trying to get the upgrade. I'm on Birdie's Gift now and I can't seem to get any of the challenges to unlock. Does it lock them if you kill people or what because I'm getting nothing.
You can't do challenges on Easy, but that's about it.

Killing non-target civilians (unarmed people) loses you points no matter what you do. Subduing and hiding them doesn't penalize you, so long as you're not spotted while doing so.

In order to maximize points you either have to do "silent assassin" i.e. the very minimum actions needed to complete the map without being spotted or else replay sections a whole bunch to do all the challenges to multiply your final score.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

In addition to the tips already mentioned, the dodge roll grants a brief period of invincibility during the roll, but that period gets shorter with each successive roll. Don't hold the dodge button down.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

You can't do challenges on Easy, but that's about it.

Killing non-target civilians (unarmed people) loses you points no matter what you do. Subduing and hiding them doesn't penalize you, so long as you're not spotted while doing so.

In order to maximize points you either have to do "silent assassin" i.e. the very minimum actions needed to complete the map without being spotted or else replay sections a whole bunch to do all the challenges to multiply your final score.

Good to know, I couldn't find poo poo about it online so I was doing it on easy to snag the technique upgrades but it seems I need a point boost to get the Birdie's Gift one. Does every challenge you did add to your score or is just the ones from that level that count?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

Good to know, I couldn't find poo poo about it online so I was doing it on easy to snag the technique upgrades but it seems I need a point boost to get the Birdie's Gift one. Does every challenge you did add to your score or is just the ones from that level that count?
Yeah, you need Normal or higher for challenges to trigger. Higher difficulties also multiply your points in themselves.

I haven't been paying enough attention/actually tried to "game" the scoring system but from reading a bit of the IGN wiki it looks like every challenge in every level in a larger "mission" will count for scoring purposes for that mission. There's a reference to replaying each level in the mission to get all the challenges to maximize points before you complete the mission.

Oh, by the by, if you're going for Suit Only, if you so much as put on a single disguise in a level, even if you reload from a checkpoint, you're screwed for the achievement unless you go back in via level select. So either try to do all disguises or all suit only but there's not much point in going halfway.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hitting R2 (I think) while in cover makes Sam open up his helmet and light up a cigarette, which he then flicks away after a couple drags and the Russian bots shoot at its heat signature rather than you. This is only situationally useful, but more importantly it's cool as hell so do it all the time.

For some reason though Sam's suit doesn't have enough pockets for a full pack and he only carries three cigs per level.

EDIT: Also, every weapon has its own melee attack. Most are interchangeable, except for three of them:

Assault rifle: If you keep hammering the melee button, Sam does a God Hand-style flurry of punches for more damage.
LMG: It's a backflip kick, and you can aim and go into slo-mo while airborne. There's not a lot of mechanical advantage to this other than again, it's cool as hell.
Disc launcher: Instead of using up your energy, Sam just saws dudes in half and it uses up some ammo. Useful for cutting off Romanov's legs sometimes.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 15, 2014

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

duckfarts posted:

Also, keep a heavy machine gun on you from the start of the game, but try not to usr it ever, just pick up copies to upgrade it to max level ASAP. Once fully upgraded, heavy machine gun is an absolute beast that can carry you through the entire second half of the game.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Anything I should know before I start up Twilight Princess? I'm surprised there isn't anything on the wiki.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

1redflag posted:

Also, keep a heavy machine gun on you from the start of the game, but try not to usr it ever, just pick up copies to upgrade it to max level ASAP. Once fully upgraded, heavy machine gun is an absolute beast that can carry you through the entire second half of the game.

Also never ever drop your Assault Rifle. It's always a useful thing to have, and you really don't want to get caught out with three gimmick guns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Anything I should know before I start up Twilight Princess? I'm surprised there isn't anything on the wiki.

Unless you must 100% complete the game don't bother with the magic armor, golden bug, or poe souls sidequests. The magic armor is not unneeded for how easy the game is and requires progressing at least half-way into the golden bug quest. The golden bug quest gives you money for each bug where you will almost guaranteeably be at max currency after the first few dungeons but its only rewards are holding more money which again is only meaningful if you must have the magic armor. The poe souls questline grants you infinite money in a game where there is nothing to buy and rupees are shoved in your pocket constantly.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Playing Super Metroid for the first time, other than there being an assload of semi-hidden areas what should I know?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bushmaori posted:

Playing Super Metroid for the first time, other than there being an assload of semi-hidden areas what should I know?
Exploration is part of the game, so feel free to wander around for a while, just goofing off. That said, if you aren't sure where to go next, and are getting frustrated, start with the first area, and work your way newer, looking for places to use upgrades you've gotten since you last got there. It isn't always the fastest way, but it's guaranteed to keep you from wandering around aimlessly because you're pretty sure you already checked somewhere you actually haven't.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The most important thing is learning the wall jump which you should practice when you can because it's really unintuitive. You basically have to be pressing against the wall then immediately press the opposite direction. When Samus' animation changes to her clinging against the wall you immediately jump.

If it feels like you can't advance in a room when you should be able to, shoot the walls. You'll usually blow up blocks or reveal blocks you need to bomb.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

The wall jump is very useful, but it's definitely an advanced tactic so don't spend too much time on it if you don't want to. You might get into a situation where you need it but then you'll have all the time in the world to practice heheh

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Bushmaori posted:

There is a run button.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

The most important thing is learning the wall jump which you should practice when you can because it's really unintuitive. You basically have to be pressing against the wall then immediately press the opposite direction. When Samus' animation changes to her clinging against the wall you immediately jump.

If it feels like you can't advance in a room when you should be able to, shoot the walls. You'll usually blow up blocks or reveal blocks you need to bomb.

The jump I have no problem with once I figured it out, first you have to be doing a spin jump it seems and then when you are near the wall press the opposite direction and a split second later the jump button. I can do that without issue but I've been playing a bit more and the move I have problems with is a sprint jump one where you have to push down after sprinting to start flashing and then you can super jump. I can never get this one to trigger, it works maybe one out of ten times I try it. Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Bushmaori posted:

The jump I have no problem with once I figured it out, first you have to be doing a spin jump it seems and then when you are near the wall press the opposite direction and a split second later the jump button. I can do that without issue but I've been playing a bit more and the move I have problems with is a sprint jump one where you have to push down after sprinting to start flashing and then you can super jump. I can never get this one to trigger, it works maybe one out of ten times I try it. Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

I got that game when it was brand new, but if memory serves it's just a pain in the rear end to do right.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

duckfarts posted:

• Trap enemies in corners to demolish them, this works really well with the first character's rapid special.
  • Monster souls are extra characters you can flip between with your main character. HP is remembered for each character when you swap. Don't forget to use them if things get hairy
  • The black and white stages are chances for you to get a monster soul for free; if you win the black and white stage, you get that monster's soul. If you had one already, it swaps out and you can swap it back in if you liked your old one more.
  • You can only hold so many potions, so choose carefully or use stuff when you find new potions
  • To unlock the third character, you need to go to the middle middle room and donate a bunch of money
  • You can buy camp tokens and set them in those hero altar things to set a respawn point for when you die. Better tokens let you respawn more times.
  • That last guy is a fuckface

holy poo poo i just saw that a patch came out that finally lets you save/resume a game, might need to get back to this sometime

I'll add on to these.
  • Another fact about the black/white room is that your base character will also give you a full heal. Don't be afraid to burn potions in these if the soul/free heal works out in your favor hp wise.
  • The first upgrade priority should be cancel points. These max at three and are how you cancel the animations of your moves into specials and dodges.
  • You capture souls by filling your mana bar and performing the attack it prompts. Anything hit by the blue orb will become a soul after it dies. Be warned you have to hit a minimum level to capture most souls, and you can find this out by using the mana attack on an enemy.
  • drat near anything, including boss characters, can be captured.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is the wiki still being regularly updated?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Is the wiki still being regularly updated?

Not since Saturday so it's probably been abandoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zushio posted:

There is a run button.
This is the only big one. I'm amazed at how many people I've met who've gotten stuck because they can't get past this part early on in the game because they didn't realize you could run.