Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I really don't know why I keep playing Hyrule Warriors. It is literally the most repetitive (sometimes outright obnoxious) game I have ever played - but I cannot stop playing it. Despite how repetitive it is though, it does have some pretty neat nods and other stuff.

Bow-Wow is my favorite weapon. Unlike Link's other weapons, he's actually animated and during his (A) move - he'll chomp into the ground as you flip the world. :3:

Links Great Fairy weapon is also pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Probably my favourite thing about Shadows of Mordor are the orc captains called "The Friendly". One time I was sneaking up on this guy and tried to brutally murder him with my dagger by jumping on his back from above. He just catches me, throws me off of himself, and then spreads his arms, gets a huge grin on his face and goes :haw:: "My lad!"
I don't remember his nickname, but I've got one guy at the moment with the "immune to almost everything" buffs who keeps popping up when I'm fighting other captains... who's only there because he likes to fight me and refuses to kill me when he gets the chance. Just wanders off with a "That was great, see you next time!" line.

I also got killed by some random tiny orc who got promoted to being "the King-Slayer", wearing armour that effectively doubled him in size and must've worn twice what he did.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I really like in Shadow of Mordor that as long as you don't decapitate, the orcs have a chance of coming back again and again. Have killed a particular captain (that ascended to warchief after destroying the first 5 in Udun) that I killed like 7 times, turning his head into mush and being held by a burlap bag and rope. It is great.

Dude cycled from cool headgear (a skull helmet thing), a spiky thing covering a missing eye, to that. Fantastic. Edit: Gonna see if I can brand that particular bastard later on. Can you even brand warchiefs? I know there is an option to brand captains. I'll check that out later.

I really hope that other games ape from the Nemesis system used in Mordor. It is amazing.

Luisfe has a new favorite as of 14:48 on Oct 13, 2014

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

scarycave posted:

I really don't know why I keep playing Hyrule Warriors. It is literally the most repetitive (sometimes outright obnoxious) game I have ever played - but I cannot stop playing it. Despite how repetitive it is though, it does have some pretty neat nods and other stuff.

Bow-Wow is my favorite weapon. Unlike Link's other weapons, he's actually animated and during his (A) move - he'll chomp into the ground as you flip the world. :3:

Darunia's victory dance is the greatest animation in the entire game and I will literally fight anyone who says otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwZFMvyhOpM

Apparently it's a) based off of his dance from OoT and b) longer than anyone else's victory animation by a delightfully awkward amount.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

graybook posted:

Darunia's victory dance is the greatest animation in the entire game and I will literally fight anyone who says otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwZFMvyhOpM

Apparently it's a) based off of his dance from OoT and b) longer than anyone else's victory animation by a delightfully awkward amount.

Yup, that's the dance he does when you play Saria's Song to snap him out of his funk in Ocarina of Time (a remix of which is the song playing in the background).

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Speaking of HOT BEAT's, Sheik plays the temple warping tunes she teaches you in OOT, plus the song of storms.
Also, Ruto's battle intro.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Oct 13, 2014

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Luisfe posted:

I really like in Shadow of Mordor that as long as you don't decapitate, the orcs have a chance of coming back again and again. Have killed a particular captain (that ascended to warchief after destroying the first 5 in Udun) that I killed like 7 times, turning his head into mush and being held by a burlap bag and rope. It is great.

Dude cycled from cool headgear (a skull helmet thing), a spiky thing covering a missing eye, to that. Fantastic. Edit: Gonna see if I can brand that particular bastard later on. Can you even brand warchiefs? I know there is an option to brand captains. I'll check that out later.

I really hope that other games ape from the Nemesis system used in Mordor. It is amazing.

You can absolutely brand warchiefs. Can be a bit of a pain in the tonsils to do it without being interrupted unless you have the combat brand ability because they are often accompanied by so many followers, but you can totally do it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
In fact there are quests where you have to brand all five Warchiefs!

My favorite Shadow of Mordor moment involved me stalking a particularly douchey captain. Every time I'd ambush him, he'd get beat down and run away, leaving me to deal with dozens of Uruks and other captains. There was just nothing I could do - he kept escaping, and worming his way up the ranks. He went from captain, to veteran captain, to bodyguard, before betraying his Warchief and becoming one himself. I branded all of his bodyguards and activated the event, and when I saw him, he was backed up against a building. I activated my branded bodyguards and they cornered him long enough for me to get the drop on him and put a sword through his face. Off went his head, and the most aggravating enemy I've ever fought was finally killed. It took me four days to finally do it and now I feel empty inside. Revenge wasn't worth it.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Revenge wasn't worth it.

That seems to be the only issue here. When you get a genuine Nemesis, and they die, you feel empty. Maybe that's what the whole Batman need Joker/ Joker needs Batman thing is. They like seeing the other one show up, just to fight it out.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Some of the "Uruk I killed keeps popping up" things in Shadow of Mordor may just come down to names eventually recycling through the Nemesis system. During the story missions while helping that loveable idiot Ratbag, there are two high-ranking Uruks you have to deal with, one being a bodyguard to a warchief. The bodyguard is called Brogg the Twin, and somewhat unsurprisingly, the warchief turns out to be called Mogg the Other Twin. I killed both of those Uruks, and yet later on in the story, I encountered two more Uruks with those names, if not those sobriquets.

That said, I agree that some of the captains you think you killed do come back to haunt you. I had one with the nickname Slashface, who after his first encounter with me lost an eye and got one of those spiked eyepatches to cover it. I blew his drat head up later on, and yet, while I was busy fighting my way out of a stronghold, up pops Slashface with a bag over his head, and the spiked eyepatch sticking out of it.

So I branded him and made him a warchief.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

scarycave posted:

I really don't know why I keep playing Hyrule Warriors. It is literally the most repetitive (sometimes outright obnoxious) game I have ever played - but I cannot stop playing it.

Welcome to Dynasty Warriors & spin-offs. I see you're new.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Does it count if I didn't play the game myself?

Clock Tower 2 (American version): Bates, a spirit that possesses the main character. Its like someone sat down and went "How do I write a character that is sick of horror tropes?" This guy gets outright pissed off at people, calling them shits, boots a possessed samurai suit in the dick and grabs the knife that a possessed doll has been chasing you with and stabs her with it (and boots her several times in the face prior).

Its loving great, you almost forget that the game is actually trying to be a legit horror game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The design of the Strogg bases in Quake 4 are surprisingly interesting. Usually with groups in the vein of the Strogg (the Cybermen and Borg come to mind), it's always about replacing the Organic with Machine. But in Q4, you see the Strogg using some giant creature's heart to pump fluids around, some mutilated alien to digest organic parts into slime, and organic guts pumping poo poo around. It's just different enough to be interesting, and it implies that the Strogg have been doing this sort of thing for a long time.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I don't know why I like this so much but in Alien Isolation Ripley will stand on her toes to lean forward :3:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm sure people are tired of hearing of it by now but man, the amount of stuff Shadows of Mordor remembers is nuts. I killed one captain by hurling him off a cliff. He comes back from the dead and when locking swords he says "You think that fall could kill me? Not bloody likely!" and I was just floored.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm sure people are tired of hearing of it by now

I am, but only because it sounds loving amazing and I'm massively jealous because I can't afford a copy right now. :(

I love game mechanics like the Nemesis system, it sounds superbly well-done.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
I can't remember if this was asked yet, but is their a huge difference to playing this on PS3 instead of a PS4?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Boofchicken posted:

I can't remember if this was asked yet, but is their a huge difference to playing this on PS3 instead of a PS4?
The PS3 version isn't out yet, but apparently the Nemesis system (what everyone's talking about here) will be neutered in it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Urdnot Fire posted:

The PS3 version isn't out yet, but apparently the Nemesis system (what everyone's talking about here) will be neutered in it.

How about the 360 version? Is it gimped?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Len posted:

How about the 360 version? Is it gimped?
Both the PS3 and the 360 versions will have the same (currently unspecified) limitations regarding the Nemesis system, as they focused on the PS4, Xbone, and PC and had a secondary team do the port to last-gen.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The game will not be good without the Nemesis System. There's nothing in the combat, the light RPG mechanics, the stealth gameplay, or the story that makes it stand out. At best, it will be incredibly average.

Buying the 360 or the PS3 version is buying the inferior version of the game.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I don't understand why they would simplify the Nemesis system for the last-gen ports. It's not a computationally expensive thing; you could implement it on a Ti-83 if you were so inclined.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

scarycave posted:

I'm in the same boat and I can't figure it the gently caress out. Usually I'm really uninterested in grinds and have zero issues tearing myself away from games, but I can't for the loving life of me get myself off the Hyrule Warriors bandwagon. I had to literally delete it from my console because I'm in school and I can't spend hours each day mashing x to smash up a dozen guys at a time, and it's just SO loving ADDICTIVE.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Male Man posted:

I don't understand why they would simplify the Nemesis system for the last-gen ports. It's not a computationally expensive thing; you could implement it on a Ti-83 if you were so inclined.

It may be resource-intensive if all the various traits have unique models, textures, audio, or other assets associated with them. The older consoles also probably have a lower cap on the total number of units that can be onscreen which would ruin a lot of the stories people have been telling about the game.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Since this thread is about 50% shadows of mordor chat can someone fill me in on how they handle the voicing for your Nemesis-es? It seems like they have a pretty impressive variety of things to say and also all the videos I've watched have had them speaking in different-sounding voices. I'm just curious how they managed that, really.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

haveblue posted:

It may be resource-intensive if all the various traits have unique models, textures, audio, or other assets associated with them. The older consoles also probably have a lower cap on the total number of units that can be onscreen which would ruin a lot of the stories people have been telling about the game.

Right, but surely axing the unique models but keeping the reactivity with minimal footprint would be preferable to slicing up the entire system.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Surely the developers might have a good understanding of that the game can and cannot do well on last generation's hardware and are doing what they can to salvage the experience given they are running on mid-tier hardware from 2007.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

The design of the Strogg bases in Quake 4 are surprisingly interesting. Usually with groups in the vein of the Strogg (the Cybermen and Borg come to mind), it's always about replacing the Organic with Machine. But in Q4, you see the Strogg using some giant creature's heart to pump fluids around, some mutilated alien to digest organic parts into slime, and organic guts pumping poo poo around. It's just different enough to be interesting, and it implies that the Strogg have been doing this sort of thing for a long time.

One of my favorite things in Quake 4 was how your gun wouldn't target your squadmates. A lot of games do this, but one of the little blurbs during the loading screen says " Thanks to the acme friendly fire prevention system friendly fire is down 98%!"

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm in the same boat and I can't figure it the gently caress out. Usually I'm really uninterested in grinds and have zero issues tearing myself away from games, but I can't for the loving life of me get myself off the Hyrule Warriors bandwagon. I had to literally delete it from my console because I'm in school and I can't spend hours each day mashing x to smash up a dozen guys at a time, and it's just SO loving ADDICTIVE.

When my residence hall got a Wii U last week, we took a moment a couple days afterwards to check the total time played and all that.

Total time: 101 hours
Hyrule Warriors: 60 hours

God drat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Babe Magnet posted:

The game will not be good without the Nemesis System. There's nothing in the combat, the light RPG mechanics, the stealth gameplay, or the story that makes it stand out. At best, it will be incredibly average.

Buying the 360 or the PS3 version is buying the inferior version of the game.

And that's why it's in a game fly queue. Well that and I'm still convinced in a week these forums will have moved on to another game and it's just so prominent because it's the flavor of the month.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Don't get me wrong, it's fun, it's just nothing special. Batman does combat better, Assassins Creed does stealth better, and there's many games that have better writing, so if you want any of those just buy a different game.

They don't hold the Nemesis system back or anything, but it's definitely the main draw of the game.

Male Man posted:

Right, but surely axing the unique models but keeping the reactivity with minimal footprint would be preferable to slicing up the entire system.

The Nemesis system would not be as good without the unique models, voices, and personalities. It sounds really shallow, yeah, but the reason it's something special instead of just a neat novelty is because each uruk feels like their own character instead of just a bunch of dudes with stats. These stories aren't about Orc That's Immune To Arrows, they're about Asgug Ranger Hunter who returned from the gave with a plate over his eye, threatening me with vengeance while his buddy Nom Fathead drools all over himself in the background.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Rad as hell music plus really colorful graphics plus old school zelda references out the rear end plus lots of rewards and easy to understand mechanics make it hella addicting

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Small thing about Shadow Of Morder I like is that the combat is brutal as gently caress. I like a little brutal sometimes and Talion does it so drat well.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

carry on then posted:

Surely the developers might have a good understanding of that the game can and cannot do well on last generation's hardware and are doing what they can to salvage the experience given they are running on mid-tier hardware from 2007.

Alternatively nerfing things is quicker and easier than optimizing them and you won't piss of the console manufacturers by providing no incentive to buy their latest platform.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

TontoCorazon posted:

Small thing about Shadow Of Morder I like is that the combat is brutal as gently caress. I like a little brutal sometimes and Talion does it so drat well.

Brutalize looks like a prison shanking. Having seen one of those on video it makes me just a tiny bit uncomfortable, but you can't argue that the result isn't glorious.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

mng posted:

Brutalize looks like a prison shanking. Having seen one of those on video it makes me just a tiny bit uncomfortable, but you can't argue that the result isn't glorious.

What I love about Brutalize is that it's not just a fancy animation, but it also has a distinct mechanical niche: It's not quiet, like a stealth kill, but it's specifically for murdering someone in such a grotesque fashion that the other orcs watching it get scared and back off, giving you some breathing room. The best one is when you're hanging: Talion jams his dagger into the orc's arm and uses it to pull himself up, stabbing as he goes. :black101:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's also one thing I really liked about Sleeping Dogs. When you do something especially brutal enemies jump back and go WUAOHH because holy poo poo you just bent a dude's leg 180 degrees or speared a dude on a swordfish head.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The main problem with Shadow of Mordor is that once you've played it for four hours or so the only difficult parts are the insta-fail stealth sections. If the Nemesis system really is neutered on the last gen version you shouldn't bother with it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

CJacobs posted:

That's also one thing I really liked about Sleeping Dogs. When you do something especially brutal enemies jump back and go WUAOHH because holy poo poo you just bent a dude's leg 180 degrees or speared a dude on a swordfish head.

Goddamnit Wei I told you to try the move on my students, not snap their loving legs the wrong way!

Shadows of Mordor blows me away with the amount of content and the overall design. It's a game built on systems and mechanics and almost never feels like a linear game that happens to be open world. Its some raw as gameplay and systems and mechanics wrapped up in a polished mainstream AAA package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chinaman7000 posted:

Goddamnit Wei I told you to try the move on my students, not snap their loving legs the wrong way!

What? He told me to practice that arm-snapping move with his students, so I'm going to practice it on all his students! Twice! :colbert: