Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Harlock posted:

Tuesday
STL/SF 4:07 EST
BAL/KC 8:07 EST

Wednesday
BAL/KC 4:07 EST
STL/SF 8:07 EST

A 1 PM local NLCS game is kind of criminal.

I'm going to have to miss the end of the AL game and start of the NL game on Wednesday thanks to night classes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Per Matheny, Molina had a successful catch and throw session today, but has not swung a bat yet and will not be disabled.

I guess they're thinking he can be a defensive replacement?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FairGame posted:

Per Matheny, Molina had a successful catch and throw session today, but has not swung a bat yet and will not be disabled.

I guess they're thinking he can be a defensive replacement?

This makes some sort of sense but what the hell do you do if you replace him and the game ends up going on long enough that he comes to the plate? Just have him bunt no matter what the situation is or test out your emergency catcher or?

e: Oops you guys are carrying three catchers I guess.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 13, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
he'll just bunt every at bat

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I don't know. I think what they were really trying to get across was that Molina's injury isn't a tear or something else that's really bad--something that would take Molina out for the remainder of the playoffs. I doubt they're thinking of using him as a defensive replacement.

I mean, there's a lot more to being a catcher in a big-league game than just a simple, very carefully controlled, game of catch. Pierzynski and/or Cruz would have to be pretty awful to chance putting Molina in as a defensive replacement, and while neither one of them is as good as Molina (because no one is), they're not terrible behind the plate. I don't think Matheny is stupid enough to put a hurt Yadi in to catch. And I say this unironically: Matheny may be a dummy, but he's also a former catcher. If anyone knows how a certain injury could cause a catcher to become a liability behind the plate, Matheny does.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

tarlibone posted:

Matheny may be a dummy

holy poo poo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

he'll just bunt every at bat

this is better than a tony cruz at bat so I'm cool with it

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

tony cruz sucks, aj sucks, yadi "bunting every ab" molina sucks

heres a timeline that shows all the walkoffs in postseason history that does not suck

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...71bee5175b.html

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Contrary to popular belief, SF is indeed playing in St. Louis tonight.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Akbar posted:

A strained oblique kind of prevents you from swinging a bat or running or much of anything though.

You can still bunt!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Scob posted:

tony cruz sucks, aj sucks, yadi "bunting every ab" molina sucks

heres a timeline that shows all the walkoffs in postseason history that does not suck

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...71bee5175b.html

... they have David Freese hitting a walk-off home run in game 6 of the 2006 World Series vs. the Rangers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WHERE IS MY BASEBALL DAMMIT

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A Cubs fan asking about playoff baseball, that's rich

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just realized if there were a Show-Me Series the Rams would also play at the Chiefs one of those weekends.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Hed posted:

I just realized if there were a Show-Me Series the Rams would also play at the Chiefs one of those weekends.

And St. Louis is playing San Francisco on MNF tonight. Divisions make no sense.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Niners-Rams is day 3 of 5 straight days of SF vs. St Louis. That's pretty neat.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Niners-Rams is day 3 of 5 straight days of SF vs. St Louis. That's pretty neat.

But as opposed to being The Best Fans in Football, Rams fans have to be coached how to cheer

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

But as opposed to being The Best Fans in Football, Rams fans have to be coached how to cheer

If your only experience with pro football was watching the Rams after the Greatest Show on Turf ended, trust me, you'd need to be coached on how to cheer, too.

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.
Steroids Are Bad

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Bregor posted:

Hold on to your butts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGvBl_N3xD0

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Here's a breakdown of the differences between the NLCS and the ALCS from some website I've never heard of.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
If the Royals and the Cardinals play in the World Series, would Kansas City just steal all the bases if Molina is out?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Dingleberry Jones posted:

If the Royals and the Cardinals play in the World Series, would Kansas City just steal all the bases if Molina is out?

They'd certainly try. Adam wainwright and lance Lynn are both ridiculously hard to steal off of though.

Shelby Miller, on the other hand, is ridiculously easy--to the extent that not even Yadi was much of a deterrent. Lackey struggles in that department too.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It'll never happen now, but the Lincecum-Sanchez Circus would have been amazing against the Royals. They'd score 4 runs every inning by Wild Pitches and balls thrown into the outfield.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FairGame posted:

They'd certainly try. Adam wainwright and lance Lynn are both ridiculously hard to steal off of though.

How much of that is Yadi, though? I'd imagine as long as a pitcher is average-above average in holding runners then that's enough with him behind the plate.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I seem to remember a study that showed most of what goes into preventing steals is on the pitcher's time to delivery and that catcher's arm (mainly accuracy) plays a relatively small role.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Happy Steve Bartman Day!

:suicide:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Happy Alex Gonzalez Day!

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.
Lmao Pierzynski is batting 6th today

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Qwertyiop25 posted:

Lmao Pierzynski is batting 6th today

AJP has been virtually the same hitteras 2nd half Yadi. I guess that says more about the lovely offense than anything else, but AJP 6th is fine if Yadi 6th was.

e: what the hell, Oscar Taveras still isn't playing ahead of Grichuk.

HE LITERALLY DID THE BEST THING POSSIBLE IN HIS ONLY PLATE APPEARANCE THIS SERIES

FairGame fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 14, 2014

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

FairGame posted:

AJP has been virtually the same hitteras 2nd half Yadi. I guess that says more about the lovely offense than anything else, but AJP 6th is fine if Yadi 6th was.

HE LITERALLY DID THE BEST THING POSSIBLE IN HIS ONLY PLATE APPEARANCE THIS SERIES

In before allegations of rampant organizational racism.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

FairGame posted:

Uhh he didn't bunt, what are you talking about. Just hit a lovely home run (yawn who cares)
-Mike M

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

toadee posted:

I seem to remember a study that showed most of what goes into preventing steals is on the pitcher's time to delivery and that catcher's arm (mainly accuracy) plays a relatively small role.

The big thing Molina does is prevent people from even trying to steal so going from that to AJP is going to be a huge difference. This year alone people tried to steal 44 times with a 52% success rate in 940 innings against Molina and 38 times with a 79 percent success rate against Cruz and Pierzynski in 510 innings.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FairGame posted:

He has not Earned Mike Matheny's Trust.

Just be happy he isn't still starting Kozma or Descalso over Wong, because you know he wants to.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

tadashi posted:

Happy Steve Bartman Day!

Why would you do this to me :smithicide:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Yadier Molina has caught well over 10,000 innings in his career. His CS% over that time is 45%. That would be 2nd best in the majors in 2014, trailing only Yadier Molina.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Can't believe we're not hearing more about this Molina kid, those are some great stats.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Lord knows this changes everything, what with all the clever baserunning the Giants employ.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
:siren: Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays for the Dodgers :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

nerve posted:

Can't believe we're not hearing more about this Molina kid, those are some great stats.

are y'all still mad about the dumb all star voting

• Locked thread