Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

univbee posted:

You're correct, they're dropped to 720p30.

On a small screen like the Vita I wouldn't care, but on a TV set I think I'll pass on that. Maybe I'll scoop one cheap if the thing flops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

BGrifter posted:

On a small screen like the Vita I wouldn't care, but on a TV set I think I'll pass on that. Maybe I'll scoop one cheap if the thing flops.

Just pretend you have Xbox One, problem solved! Also, a whole lot of new games coming out are neither 60fps nor 1080p.

AC - 900p/30frames, DAI - 30 frames, Evil Within - 30 frames, etc... Lets not pretend that even most of new gen games are that top notch on either resolution or framerate.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, let's be fair though, this thing is priced to sit next to last gen stuff and not the current hotness. 720p is enough for PS3 caliber games, and if it's on a smaller TV in another room you might not even notice. And you still probably have more games to pick from than Wii U.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

oblomov posted:

Just pretend you have Xbox One, problem solved! Also, a whole lot of new games coming out are neither 60fps nor 1080p.

Yeah, the problem is it's a device I don't really need so it doesn't take much to deter me. P4:Golden is the only Vita title I really want and I can use my old PS3 in the bedroom for Netflix streaming if necessary.

It's not a bad device, it just doesn't do quite enough to be worth it to me. Maybe I'll get one after a year of PS+ freebies accumulating on my PS3 HD.

I'll give them credit they certainly got the price right. $99 feels really reasonable for what it is.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.
I think a way to look at it is that the Remote Play is for when you really can't use it in the other room. So it's not an all the time thing, if it is... Maybe move the system itself to get the best quality?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

You're correct, they're dropped to 720p30.

Even if the PS4 is set at 480p?

I wonder if streaming performance is improved if the PS4 video setting is set that low. I may have to check this when I have free time.

Maintenance seems to be over. Is the NA store available through PSTV yet?
*update: Answering my own question: somewhere else confirmed it is up.

Looks like the NA compatibility list was updated. Compared to this list copied and pasted from the original list, PSone games Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill were pulled from the list. I bet there are more that are now gone.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 14, 2014

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
This deserves a new post.

Using a handy online list comparison tool, I found these games were pulled from the original compatibility list:

PSP games:
Star Wars the Clone Wars: Republic Heroes
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Super Monkey Ball Adventure
Syphon Filter: Combat Ops
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Thrillville: Off the Rails
Twisted Metal: Head-On
Valkyria Chronicles 2
WipeOut Pure

PSone Classics:
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Sim Theme Park
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Suikoden
Turnabout
Um Jammer Lammy

minis:
TNK III
Time Soldiers
Touchdown Fever
Twin Blades: The Reaping Vanguard
Vanguard

No changes to the Vita game list.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

In my dreams Sony release a UMD drive addon for PSP games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The_Frag_Man posted:

In my dreams Sony release a UMD drive addon for PSP games.

Funnily enough they were seriously considering this with the PSPGo at one point in time. Penny Arcade even had a comic about it.

Also I mentioned this in the Store thread but I suspect those newly-incompatible games will probably work via transfer from a PS3 (or a handheld Vita which previously did the same).

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Didn't the early PS3 mockups actually have a UMD drive?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Startyde posted:

Didn't the early PS3 mockups actually have a UMD drive?

The early PS3 mockups were basically this

They were also going to have two HDMI outs, because the system was going to be powerful enough to be able to drive two displays at full 1080p. I think there was also going to be a built-in router.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So anyone in the US try out any games on the PS TV yet? I am curious if anything missing from the list work like the ones removed the other day or something that should be working like Final Fantasy III (PSP).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Now that the system is out, can anyone confirm that Disgaea 3 is incompatible? That's one of the main reasons I'd want to buy this thing.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

XboxPants posted:

Now that the system is out, can anyone confirm that Disgaea 3 is incompatible? That's one of the main reasons I'd want to buy this thing.

If it's not on the compatibility list it flat out won't work. This is what you're greeted with:

Even if the game 100% didn't use touch controls and isn't on the list it will not work. The Playstation TV consults a PSN server to see if the title should work. If it is not listed this happens.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yechezkel posted:

This deserves a new post.

Using a handy online list comparison tool, I found these games were pulled from the original compatibility list:
Glad to see they are still working on it. Wish it was the other direction though.

Seriously, even Gamestop is not pushing these and every store is listed as "Low Stock". I'm tempted to get one just because it seems like something destined to be discontinued within months.

I still don't see why they knock out games for using touch controls when I have this drat DS4 touchpad that I use for basically nothing, but whatever.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Not really sure what the gently caress is going on here but PS4 remote play is all sorts of hosed up through my Playstation TV

This should be full screen however it has black bars on it which makes everything look squashed. Even the home screen exhibits this strange behavior. Same tv through PS4 it's fine.

Edit: false alarm, it appears that this a known issue with systems that are used through receivers because it automatically assumes lowest resolution possible as it cannot find an output source. That's retarded.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 14, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

If it's not on the compatibility list it flat out won't work. This is what you're greeted with:

Even if the game 100% didn't use touch controls and isn't on the list it will not work. The Playstation TV consults a PSN server to see if the title should work. If it is not listed this happens.

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace works and isn't on Sony's list (it's a separate SKU from vanilla). I'm going to do some testing when I get home with my Vita TV, assuming I'm not beaten to it. Going to test the following games:

- Akiba'S trip
- Disgaea 3
- Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP)
- Metal Gear Solid 1 (PS1)
- Crash Bandicoot (PS1 accidental release)
- Soul Sacrifice
- Soul Sacrifice Delta
- Sound Shapes
- Touch My Katamari

Would like to test SAO but haven't picked it up yet.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace works and isn't on Sony's list (it's a separate SKU from vanilla). I'm going to do some testing when I get home with my Vita TV, assuming I'm not beaten to it. Going to test the following games:

- Akiba'S trip
- Disgaea 3
- Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP)
- Metal Gear Solid 1 (PS1)
- Crash Bandicoot (PS1 accidental release)
- Soul Sacrifice
- Soul Sacrifice Delta
- Sound Shapes
- Touch My Katamari

Would like to test SAO but haven't picked it up yet.

I got Soul Sacrifice and it doesn't work either. Neither does Ys. Ragnarok Odyssey HK works though. Anyways downloading D3 right now, will let you know in 2 hours :shepface:

The store did say quite clearly "THIS DOES NOT WORK ON PLAYSTATION TV: CANCEL/DOWNLOAD" when downloading it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

I got Soul Sacrifice and it doesn't work either. Neither does Ys. Ragnarok Odyssey HK works though.

Yeah, I already knew about Ys from testing the physical card, all those other games I only have digitally. Want to see if I can do a restore from the content manager.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Yeah, I already knew about Ys from testing the physical card, all those other games I only have digitally. Want to see if I can do a restore from the content manager.

It still lets you download the game if it isn't compatible it just has a warning in the store before you commit.

Funny enough, if you do the download from your download list instead of through the store it doesn't even say the warning.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

It still lets you download the game if it isn't compatible it just has a warning in the store before you commit.

Funny enough, if you do the download from your download list instead of through the store it doesn't even say the warning.

Yeah, this is exactly what happens with the Vita TV (just with Japanese error messages).

By any chance, do you own Ragnarok Odyssey Ace digitally? I'd like to see if the message shows up there.

EDIT for that matter, does it warn you if you try to buy an incompatible game?

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 14, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

flyboi posted:

Oh great, so I have to go poke through the store listings in order to find out what games I own that I can actually use? Ugh.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CrashCat posted:

Oh great, so I have to go poke through the store listings in order to find out what games I own that I can actually use? Ugh.

I think my incompatibility list is essentially complete and includes everything of significance that won't work, just need to confirm the titles I mentioned: http://physicalgames.wordpress.com/pstv/

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

univbee posted:

I think my incompatibility list is essentially complete and includes everything of significance that won't work, just need to confirm the titles I mentioned: http://physicalgames.wordpress.com/pstv/
I appreciate the effort, but even then I'm still looking at printing out a copy of your list and staring at it while I look at the download list, which is just silly. It's as if they actually want to discourage people from buying this thing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CrashCat posted:

I appreciate the effort, but even then I'm still looking at printing out a copy of your list and staring at it while I look at the download list, which is just silly. It's as if they actually want to discourage people from buying this thing.

No, this is fair enough, their implementation is definitely wonky and weird (also poo poo like the Vita listing everything including PS3 stuff :wtc:). Hopefully this list won't expand any further in future.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Yeah, this is exactly what happens with the Vita TV (just with Japanese error messages).

By any chance, do you own Ragnarok Odyssey Ace digitally? I'd like to see if the message shows up there.

Nope, only on PS3. From your list I can confirm these don't work though:

Disgaea 3
DJ Max Technika Tune (obviously)
Guacamelee!
Silent Hill: Book of Memories
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
LittleBigPlanet Vita
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
OlliOlli
Soul Sacrifice (US/ENG)
Super Stardust Delta
Tearaway
Unit 13
Ys: Memories of Celceta (US/ENG)

Also correction on your list -
Super Dangan Ronpa 2 (Chinese/Japanese version, English version DOES NOT WORK) - The US release "Dangan Ronpa 2" works fine and is even on the supported games list.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Soul Sacrifice doesn't work? It's one of the handful of reasons I even wanted a Vita TV

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

Also correction on your list -
Super Dangan Ronpa 2 (Chinese/Japanese version, English version DOES NOT WORK) - The US release "Dangan Ronpa 2" works fine and is even on the supported games list.

Yeah, that's from a deprecated list, I should get rid of that section.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's a Vita, but on the TV :psyboom:

Local Gamestop said I was the only one picking one up. I figured this would be hard-to-find quickly, which was the main reason I pre-ordered it.

This article pointed out that all of the games pulled are found from M through Z. It sounds like Sony forgot to finish the compatibility list review until yesterday.

I wish I could switch between panels with L2/R2 instead of L1/R1. I still have to check the memory card for compatibility.

When does this stop being interesting to play about with?

Wait, are wired USB keyboards compatible with this or not? Mine is not working. Don't tell me it only supports Bluetooth keyboards. :ssj:

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 14, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Looking down the list it's almost unnecessary for me now that I think about it. Basically if I got the game free, it's incompatible. If I got it through cross buy, it's incompatible. There's pretty much nothing left but PS1 titles I bought to play on the PS3.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So if you got the game via PS Plus it's incompatible?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kirios posted:

No, he's just saying that most of the freebies he's gotten happened to be incompatible games, how much you paid (or didn't pay) for the game has no bearing on compatibility.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kirios posted:

No they guy's making a broad statement.

To be honest a vast majority of unsupported games are Konami. Not very surprising because they're awful about updating games and well, gently caress them.

Some of them though however will likely see support once the US publishers bring the patches from JP/Asia over (Ys: Memories of Celceta and Soul Sacrifice both work in JP as an example after a patch was released.)

Who knows if the publishers will actually bring them over though. Also univbee you list UMvC3 as not working but it works fine.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

Also univbee you list UMvC3 as not working but it works fine.

I fully fixed my list, refresh the page.

EDIT Anyone know if Nidhogg works?

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 14, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kirios posted:

Not inherently, just seems like if I see anything on my own download list I want to play, it's not available. It's actually only like maybe a fourth of them that don't work. Here's the Wikipedia list of Instant Game Collection with the games on univbee's list struck out (by hand, so i probably missed some):

Jet Set Radio
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Gravity Rush
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Wipeout 2048
Retro City Rampage (cross-buy)
Chronovolt
Foosball 2012 (cross-buy)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Plants vs. Zombies
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
Zombie Tycoon II: Brainhov's Revenge (cross-buy)
Knytt Underground (cross-buy)
Germinator
The Pinball Arcade (cross-buy)
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Dokuro
Zen Pinball 2: Star Wars Pinball (cross-buy)
Machinarium
Rayman Origins
Hotline Miami (cross-buy)
Sine Mora
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
Soul Sacrifice
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Urban Trial Freestyle
Smart As...
Street Fighter X Tekken
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut (cross-buy)
Unit 13
Thomas Was Alone (cross-buy)
Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark (cross-buy)
PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD
Velocity Ultra
Surge Deluxe
Limbo
PixelJunk Shooter: Ultimate (cross-buy)
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (cross-buy)
Terraria
Mutant Mudds Deluxe (cross-buy)
Doki-Doki Universe (cross-buy)
Muramasa Rebirth
Dragon's Crown (cross-buy)
Fez (cross-buy)
Metrico
Proteus (cross-buy)
Joe Danger
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (cross-buy)
TxK
Velocity 2X (cross-buy)
Pix the Cat (cross-buy)
Rainbow Moon (cross-buy)
Spelunky (cross-buy)

That leaves... maybe Muramasa that I actually want to play and would have needed a Vita to access. And I think I have that on Wii already. There's still a lot to pick from though.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Dang, Suikoden doesn't work? That's sad.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure someone here mentioned Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth;1 not working.

Pretty much all the games I would still fire up the Vita and play are incompatible. No Atelier Rorona Plus (of course I have the PS3 version for TV,) No Neptunia Rebirth (or PP, but I don't have it anyways,) Akiba's Trip, or Shinovi Versus.

Sure. Conception II, DOA 5, Mind Zero, and Persona 4 all work but I've burned out on them.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

CVagts posted:

Dang, Suikoden doesn't work? That's sad.

I think it's just it didn't have enough time for them to do certification on all the old stuff M-Z or again, Konami are assholes.

Suikoden works fine here.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
So vanilla Soul Sacrifice doesn't work. Does Delta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

G-Prime posted:

So vanilla Soul Sacrifice doesn't work. Does Delta?

I just got my Vita TV converted to my Canadian account and am copying a bunch of stuff over to test with.

On the plus side it's recognizing the stuff I backed up from my regular Vita without issue so that's something.

EDIT
Pix the Cat works
:siren: NIDHOGG WORKS :siren:

Valkyria Chronicles works (needs to transfer from a PS3)
Suikoden works (needs to transfer from a PS3)
Crash Bandicoot Warped works (one of the accidentally approved games)

Doing a restore of a pile of other things but it might be a while. Things seem to mostly correllate with store listings, Nidhogg is the only unlisted game I can find that works so far.

Akiba'S trip is listed in the store so will try that.
Soul Sacrifice Delta isn't but I'm restoring it anyway to check, along with Sound Shapes and a few other things.

univbee fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 14, 2014

• Locked thread