Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kimmalah posted:

Boss fights can be fun or a huge pain in the rear end that can ruin a game right off the bat, which I'm guessing might have something to do with the move away from them. Not everyone thinks they're fun or plays games as some kind of test of how many times they can beat their head against a boss before finally winning.

Oh, that's reasonable, but that seems to be more of an issue on a per-game basis rather than a mark against all boss fights. For example, I beat my head against the last enemy gauntlet in Savannah Citadel in Sonic Unleashed for DAYS because I always lost to the last two or three Egg Fighters. Until you level the Werehog up a bit it's just mindless button mashing and hoping the QTE gods are feeling benevolent, and that just reeks of bad design to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Civ V diplomacy is awesomely bullshit, and 100% an exercise in "gently caress the human".

I once did an effortpost in the Civ V thread about it, but I'm not going hunting. To summarize, Firaxis evidently decided to use diplomacy as a way to disincentivize correctly playing the game, as literally everything you're supposed to do in Civ pisses off the AI. Civ V is stuck in a weird place between being a board game and being a legit Civ game, and you can tell Firaxis were really thrown off trying to balance the thing.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

QuietLion posted:

Tailing missions in all other AssCreeds have nothing on how bad they were in Black Flag. I went for 100% synchro for the full game, and I would rather fight that bullshit legendary armored Spanish man o' war again than do the tailing missions in ships a second time.

Trying to avoid being detected by the target while swerving and doing circles to avoid alerting the ten warships that you have to pass by is not fun.

It was really nice being able to snag bonus money for assassination missions by just shooting the target with a berserk dart, though.

The problem with the AssCreed tailing missions was that there was no room for error or finesse. You didn't have to get creative outside of gameplay mechanics, you just had to assume that every group of civilians was there so you could blend. Most of the time it was because you didn't know you had to hide in X hay cart because Y patrol was coming from a direction. So you basically brute forced your way through the tail by loving up and eventually finished it.

We'll have to disagree on the boats though because El Impoluto was the rage of 1000 suns for me. I beat that thing with a sliver of health after 30 attempts and then I went and did the other 4 ships and turned them into small floating wood communities with little effort. For being the first legendary ship that you would run into and in the starting zone no less you would think they would have used La Dama Negra (3-armored sides, unarmored rear, mortar boat) or HMS Prince (no guides for mortars) for the first area. El Impoluto's naval ram was just brutal and did about as much damage with a glancing blow as it did from hitting head on. That is grade AA bullshit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So Borderlands: The $60 DLC dropped today. Borderlands 2 wasn't broke, and they didn't try to fix it, which is alright. Borderlands 2 was fun for what it was, and I do like a shooter I can pick up and put down again very easily whenever I want to fling some bullets into some assholes. But the few things that they did add are so far pissing me off. Specifically the new "double-jump" mechanic. I put "double-jump" in quotes because it is not a jump and most certainly doesn't double it. What it does do is give a small uptick in momentum in the direction you're already going. Which can be nice for moving around a little faster, but it makes the platforming that they're trying to put in harder because it's not easy to estimate exactly how your boost is going to affect your jump.

And all of this wouldn't be so bad if the game hadn't become even floatier than before. Borderlands has always had high jumping and low gravity, and now it seems like they've just turned the gravity down in one of the physics files. Possibly in a word document while screwing around, and then they said "yeah, let's make a game out of that" without doing any further testing at all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Who What Now posted:

So Borderlands: The $60 DLC dropped today. Borderlands 2 wasn't broke, and they didn't try to fix it, which is alright. Borderlands 2 was fun for what it was, and I do like a shooter I can pick up and put down again very easily whenever I want to fling some bullets into some assholes. But the few things that they did add are so far pissing me off. Specifically the new "double-jump" mechanic. I put "double-jump" in quotes because it is not a jump and most certainly doesn't double it. What it does do is give a small uptick in momentum in the direction you're already going. Which can be nice for moving around a little faster, but it makes the platforming that they're trying to put in harder because it's not easy to estimate exactly how your boost is going to affect your jump.

And all of this wouldn't be so bad if the game hadn't become even floatier than before. Borderlands has always had high jumping and low gravity, and now it seems like they've just turned the gravity down in one of the physics files. Possibly in a word document while screwing around, and then they said "yeah, let's make a game out of that" without doing any further testing at all.

Is the loot and level scaling still terrible?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Moon Monster posted:

Yes. If it was broke they also didn't bother fixing it. But they did add a whole new ammo type! :pseudo:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Who What Now posted:

And all of this wouldn't be so bad if the game hadn't become even floatier than before.

Well, you are on the moon. :shrug:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

Loot hasn't improved too much. Level scaling is definitely better (closer to BL1.)

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I just beat Shadow of Mordor, and I mostly think it's outstanding. So many parts of it are carbon-copied from other games, but it really puts it all together competently.

What I didn't like were all the pointless side-quests. It's the same problem I had with Assassin's Creed 1 - just a lot of repetitive time sucks with no real payoff. The ones where you help prisoners were nearly identical, and I think there were 20 or more that you had to do. There was some variation in the weapon-specific quests, but you don't really get anything from them, and a couple of the stealth ones were really lovely.

I think side quests should really just be mini stories parallel to the main one. Like Torvin's whole arc - I'd consider that a side quest, but it was lumped in with the main one. I hate to whine about any "extra" content, but it just feels like filler.

Either way, I got about 25 hrs until 100%, and I really enjoyed most of it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

To me the biggest thing dragging down Shadows of Mordor (Besides the mandatory stealth sections) is the fact that the game starts easy and gets even easier. This is the way games normally work of course, your hero powers up through the course of the story so he can save the world or take down the big bad. But I feel like a central part of the Nemesis system is your character dying; it powers up the Orc that killed you and changes your future encounters with that Orc. This new powered up orc might challenge his warchief for the title and get even stronger and etc

When you start out having an easy time (I'm comparing the combat to the Arkham games, which had a much stricter timing on your attacks/counters and much less forgiving in flubbed button presses, among other things) and then it becomes even easier (particularly when you reach the last two tiers of the power list), it kind of renders the nemesis system moot unless you start dying intentionally or handicapping yourself.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'd agree with that for sure. I was bummed that I rarely had multiple encounters with the same captain, since I've heard so many cool stories. It only really got hard if I was in a stronghold on alert (basically unending waves of uruks), fighting a captain, and then two more captains show up, AND I decide to not just run.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I've been playing more AssCree:Pirates, and man does the even-more-simplified parkour controls just suck. No Edward, don't jump off the thing, just sit on it looking cool, I'm only pressing the stick forward because it's more comfortable, not because I want you move. No, jump the gap instead of running across the ropes conveniently placed for exactly that reason. I don't want that shanty or anything. Don't run as fast as possible down the street, jump at everything resembling a climbing point, those guards will let you climb in peace.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
F.E.A.R.: there's a section scripted of enemy chatter between Norton Mapes and a bunch of ATC goons late in the game that I can never, ever hear in its entirety because the goons in question hear me and interrupt it as soon as it triggers. Annoying.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

StandardVC10 posted:

F.E.A.R.: there's a section scripted of enemy chatter between Norton Mapes and a bunch of ATC goons late in the game that I can never, ever hear in its entirety because the goons in question hear me and interrupt it as soon as it triggers. Annoying.

Kind of, sort of, similar complaint for Destiny, where there are sections where two enemy factions will be duking it out with each other which is great, except that they aggro on you way too easily. I can be crouched 50m away, not shooting or doing anything and the enemies will totally ignore the dudes standing a foot away to take potshots at me.

I just want to watch alien space marines fight robots ok :smith:

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Mazerunner posted:

Kind of, sort of, similar complaint for Destiny, where there are sections where two enemy factions will be duking it out with each other which is great, except that they aggro on you way too easily. I can be crouched 50m away, not shooting or doing anything and the enemies will totally ignore the dudes standing a foot away to take potshots at me.

I just want to watch alien space marines fight robots ok :smith:

Pretty ironic considering that, if I remember correctly, Halo was one of the first games to feature enemy AI advanced enough to have non-scripted battles between enemy factions.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Once in a while I'll get an urge to replay Okami, especially in its gorgeous HD incarnation, but then I remember about the unskippable cutscenes and tutorials and decide not to. Supposedly you can skip them on a NG+, but I'd have to finish the game in order to have such a save.

Also the Ultimate Blockhead - I envy those who defeated him without cheating and making a photo or something, even using such a method I had a hard time.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Szurumbur posted:

Once in a while I'll get an urge to replay Okami, especially in its gorgeous HD incarnation, but then I remember about the unskippable cutscenes and tutorials and decide not to. Supposedly you can skip them on a NG+, but I'd have to finish the game in order to have such a save.

Also the Ultimate Blockhead - I envy those who defeated him without cheating and making a photo or something, even using such a method I had a hard time.

Ultimate Blockhead taught me how to memorize positions really really fast. This skill only ever works playing Okami.

Fishing drags every game down. Okami's fishing, WoW's fishing, poo poo Bass Pro Shop Fishfucker 9000 probably sucks, too. It's just so god drat tedious, or in the case of Okami, a huge pain in the rear end. It's okay mechanics wise in Final Fantasy 14, but still boring. I can't even think of a way to not make it boring without also making it annoying.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

You could always just download a save and just rock out NG+

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Szurumbur posted:

I'm pretty sure I didn't get the best score to unlock a certain costume because of this rear end in a top hat.
I just said "gently caress it" and left him.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ultimate Blockhead was a pain back in the day. When I replayed recently I just took a video of him :v:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

MrJacobs posted:

You could always just download a save and just rock out NG+

Saves are locked, and looking it up I couldn't find one and I don't feel like learning how to hack it to be usable - also, it's not that much of an urge, I've done much of the game on a PS2 already. Still, it'd be nice if the alternative was simply allowing one to skip scenes or at the very least fast forward dialogue.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kruller posted:

Ultimate Blockhead taught me how to memorize positions really really fast. This skill only ever works playing Okami.

Fishing drags every game down. Okami's fishing, WoW's fishing, poo poo Bass Pro Shop Fishfucker 9000 probably sucks, too. It's just so god drat tedious, or in the case of Okami, a huge pain in the rear end. It's okay mechanics wise in Final Fantasy 14, but still boring. I can't even think of a way to not make it boring without also making it annoying.

What about the fishing in Nier? I know a lot of people got stuck on the mandatory fishing part because when an NPC told you to fish at the beach he meant a different beach than the one he was standing right next to.

I had to use an online guide to figure out how to fish correctly in Persona 4.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The only good fishing minigame was in Ocarina of Time. And it was mostly great because there wasn't much in the way of rewards (meaning you could skip it pretty safely), and also there was in-built cheating.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Doctor Bishop posted:

Pretty ironic considering that, if I remember correctly, Halo was one of the first games to feature enemy AI advanced enough to have non-scripted battles between enemy factions.

Didn't the HECU troops in Half-Life fight the aliens? And even before that, predatory dinosaurs would hunt other dinosaurs in Jurassic Park: Trespasser. Hell, DOOM could have had it if it wanted to, since the monsters could fight each other; their AI (presumably for co-op purposes) was robustly coded enough to attack whatever entity was causing them damage, which most hilariously caused Cacodemons to commit suicide if they damaged themselves by hitting an exploding barrel with their fireball. Halo was just one of the first games to make a showcase feature of it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Marathon had separate factions, too.

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

SpookyLizard posted:

I've been playing more AssCree:Pirates, and man does the even-more-simplified parkour controls just suck. No Edward, don't jump off the thing, just sit on it looking cool, I'm only pressing the stick forward because it's more comfortable, not because I want you move. No, jump the gap instead of running across the ropes conveniently placed for exactly that reason. I don't want that shanty or anything. Don't run as fast as possible down the street, jump at everything resembling a climbing point, those guards will let you climb in peace.

This forever. I LOVE velcroing into a wall when I round a corner because there's a loving ladder that I can't see while a bunch of guards are charging my rear end.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The day/night cycle in Skyrim. It's neat how the NPCs will be at work during the day and sleep at night and I see how that allows for interesting stuff like the player being a vampire and having to feed on people as they sleep, or I guess sneaking into people's houses and shops at night to steal stuff or whatever. But on the other hand, it's really annoying when I'm doing some alchemy in the potion shop and in the middle of it the owner starts telling me I have to leave. Or when I just want to use a particular shop but it's night.

And for some reason the "wait X hours" thing doesn't seem to work as expected. You'd think that if you skipped forward to midday then the shops would just be open, but it seems like maybe you still have to wait for the NPC to get into position from wherever they were when you started waiting? Or maybe that's not how it works, it's hard to tell. I do know that I tried waiting till daytime to use a shop but it was still shut for some reason, and waiting till 3am to break into someone's house only to find them still awake.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If you are in the same cell as the npc they don't usually move during the waiting. It's just a quirk of the engine.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

AssCreed III, the kill streak changed from "press a direction and a face button once" to "hold a direction and mash a face button". Brotherhood and Revelations were much better about it seeming less like button mashing and more like dominating everyone and everything. Unfortunately I've not yet played Pirates edition and I'm considering getting an Xbone with that as my first game. Any reason not to?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

DStecks posted:

The problem with guards being too good at parkour is that it's pretty much the only workable solution to the design choices they made. They decided that parkour would simply be a matter of holding the parkour button and moving in a direction, which means that the very act of parkour is not engaging to the player, and this, I believe, is the critical mistake that belies the whole system. If parkouring from building to building is not in of itself a challenge, then some challenge must be introduced, since parkour constitutes the majority of playtime.

It's the worst. I stopped playing that poo poo because everything that looked awesome or fun about it was actually so easy it was trivial, and the challenge came down entirely to tedious little details. This is so weird and bad and such a betrayal of the idea of play in favor of spectacle that I don't want to support it anymore

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

im pooping! posted:

AssCreed III, the kill streak changed from "press a direction and a face button once" to "hold a direction and mash a face button". Brotherhood and Revelations were much better about it seeming less like button mashing and more like dominating everyone and everything. Unfortunately I've not yet played Pirates edition and I'm considering getting an Xbone with that as my first game. Any reason not to?

So many things went wrong with the AssCreed III from the design, mechanics and story viewpoint that I cannot but wonder how that happened to Ubisoft's triple-A franchise. Not going to rewrite my earlier effort-posts in the topic, but to summarize:
-Protagonist is changed to a humorless and clueless dimwit who constantly is conned and/or betrayed, not to mention that in the earlier games loving with the PC was pretty much a guarantee that in the next act, the same people will die.
-Level design goes from impressive, monumental metropolises to two/three-story churches, barns and flagpoles which all look the same. So the colonial USA is not very architecturally interesting place, but why set your game there?
-Any attempt with grey and grey-morality story becomes "Founding Fathers good"/"English bad" since we cannot say any even a slightly critical thing about the FF of USA.
-Story written so lazily that certain gently caress-wits get completely implausible invulnerability, since the story will not change any known dates of death. "You are on a hitlist of a master assassin; lets arrange a meeting with him and taunt the guy in a privacy of separate office, shall we."

Edit: So what I am trying to say here is that the game has (had?) buttload of bugs, bad mechanics, repetitive missions, boring levels and writing that spends too much time insulting the player's intelligence. Go Team Ubisoft!

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Oct 15, 2014

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

As to these two points.

Der Kyhe posted:

-Protagonist is changed to a humorless and clueless dimwit who constantly is conned and/or betrayed, not to mention that in the earlier games loving with the PC was pretty much a guarantee that in the next act, the same people will die.
-Any attempt with grey and grey-morality story becomes "Founding Fathers good"/"English bad" since we cannot say any even a slightly critical thing about the FF of USA.

You eventually understand why they wrote him stiff as a board protagonist. He's idealistic and bent on revenge. Let's see how far that takes him in the real world. :thumbsup:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Oddly enough they do treat George Washington as incompetent and only in that position due to a lot of luck. All the other founding fathers get off pretty good though.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Another thing AssCreed III messed up on was the depiction and handling of important historical events. I've done a bit of studying of the American Revolution, and I was looking forwards to taking part in some very famous events such as the ride of Paul Revere, and the Boston Tea Party.

Instead I got to punch a lot of guys on a boat and ride a horse around as some chuckle-gently caress yelled at me to go left.

To say I was disappointed was an understatement.

Oh yeah, and they totally dropped the ball with what could have been the most imaginative DLC possible. A power crazy George Washington? I was super excited to see how it would play out. Then it was more of the bland content, and more let-downs.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Oct 15, 2014

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Work of fiction inspired by real events and developed by a multicultural team of varying faiths and beliefs.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

im pooping! posted:

Work of fiction inspired by real events and developed by a multicultural team of varying faiths and beliefs.

It also makes me cringe every time I read that because when the first AssCreed came out a bunch of totally oppressed Christians in the US said it was anti-Christian. Now they put that in every single game. :ughh:

Assassin's Creed V: A work of fiction inspired by real events and developed by a multicultural team of varying faiths and beliefs

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

The only good fishing minigame was in Ocarina of Time. And it was mostly great because there wasn't much in the way of rewards (meaning you could skip it pretty safely), and also there was in-built cheating.

Breath Of Fire 3 had a pretty awesome fishing minigame.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

im pooping! posted:

If you like Assassin's Creed in general you'll probably like the pirate one. The one thing I thought was broken about it was the lack of wanted levels (on land). It removes any incentive for stealth (other than full sync but gently caress that) because it's so much quicker and easier to just murder 30 guys and there's no consequences for you to deal with afterwards.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Dark Cloud's was pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
That feeling of pure badassery when your guy hovers across the floor like a roomba while rigor mortising into the form of a man in a leotard covered with ping pong balls stabbing the air with a dowel rod