Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SALT CURES HAM posted:

How is this weirdo goonlord the loving head of Marvel Entertainment?

Who knows?

The photo in question:

This was taken before he even joined Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Marvel turned him into MODOC (Mental Organism Designed Only for Comics), didn't they?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I hope they adapt Millar's ending to the story, where the REAL HEROES (EMTs and firemen) beat up Captain America before he can kill Iron Man.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is a monumentally stupid idea. Cap 2 had a great sequel hook between SHIELD being completely dismantled, Winter Soldier looking for the path towards being a good guy, Black Widow going up to the government and giving them a big ol' "gently caress you", and we're going to touch on pretty much none of those if you want to shove all of Civil War into one film, not to mention the obvious problem of "no one who anyone gives any shits about has a secret identity (sorry Daredevil we've literally seen one picture of you and that's it)", unless you're planning on stretching it out into Avengers 3, at which point when the gently caress do you stop dangling Thanos over our heads and actually nut up and show the manEternal kicking the poo poo out of everyone we've come to love over the past 7 8 9 10? years until Cap (played by a cut-rate Chris Evans impersonator because Evans wants the gently caress out) calls him out and wins with the power of Will or whatever?

I would like to remind everyone that this movie comes out in under 2 years, and the only things we're getting between now and then are Avengers 2, Ant Man, Daredevil and a couple seasons of a show that no one would watch if the possibility that Samuel L. Jackson might show up in any given episode didn't exist. This screams "we have no idea what we're doing" so hard.

edit: I'm seriously angry at myself for how annoyed I am at this, but it's like the culmination of every negative thought I've had about the Marvel Studios movies since the moment Avengers came out.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 14, 2014

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I doubt they'll closely adapt the Civil War comic storyline. They'll probably just take the basic premise of a schism dividing the main heroes into two opposing factions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

berserker posted:

OH well, sure, I just had always kind of figured that Avengers 3, and in general Phase 3, were going to be the capstone on this "generation" of the MCU. Avengers 4, Phase 4, and everything beyond is where I would expect to find the more esoteric titles, obscure stuff, and new actors.

Phase 4 is Great Lakes Avengers, and/or a Stiltman solo film

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Civil War wouldn't work because The Avengers are already on the government payroll through SHIELD and every movie has been toying with the idea of government overreach and the conflict between the well-meaning heroes and the big grumpy government. Capekillers won't bring anything new to the table after the elevator fight in Winter Soldier. gently caress all of this, more cosmic adventures and punching Celestials in the dick.

The idea of hiring tv directors for the biggest movie of the year is so hillarious and gloomy. Avengers 3: The Age of the Second Unit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fatherboxx posted:

Civil War wouldn't work because The Avengers are already on the government payroll through SHIELD and every movie has been toying with the idea of government overreach and the conflict between the well-meaning heroes and the big grumpy government. Capekillers won't bring anything new to the table after the elevator fight in Winter Soldier. gently caress all of this, more cosmic adventures and punching Celestials in the dick.

The idea of hiring tv directors for the biggest movie of the year is so hillarious and gloomy. Avengers 3: The Age of the Second Unit.

Oh, hey, this is where I get to bring up how stupid the term "cape killer" was diegetically. Aside from Thor (who was dead at the start of Civil War) none of the major Marvel superheroes had capes, and very few of the minor heroes had one. In the Marvel universe there's no reason to associate capes with super powers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Skwirl posted:

Phase 4 is Great Lakes Avengers, and/or a Stiltman solo film

I want the Great Lake Avengers movie to be the MCU's Batman & Robin so badly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's going to be about registering Inhumans, because after Age of Ultron and Doctor Strange it will turn out there's people living amongst us with incredible powers we didn't even know about. Maybe something Thanos does in Avengers 3 will trigger them. Stark will think it's a good idea for these people to come forward because he did as Iron Man and maybe Rhodes or Pepper dies to one of them and Steve will think it's a poo poo idea because it's impeaching on civil liberties. Agents of SHIELD will be about SHIELD and Hydra fighting a ground war to recruit as many Inhumans each as they can and then Avengers 4 will be about the full blown civil war conflict that's been brewing for several years. That's why they said it's going to give them seven years of storylines, probably ending with Steve's death.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is a monumentally stupid idea. Cap 2 had a great sequel hook between SHIELD being completely dismantled, Winter Soldier looking for the path towards being a good guy, Black Widow going up to the government and giving them a big ol' "gently caress you", and we're going to touch on pretty much none of those if you want to shove all of Civil War into one film

-Stark inspired (and helped to build) the deathships in Cap 2.

-With Nick Fury and Black Widow given highly prominent roles, plus Gary Shandling's cameo, Cap 2 is more of a sequel to Iron Man 2 than it is to the original Captain America.

-The villain asks Steve if Iron Man could show up for his kid's birthday. He pointedly doesn't invite Captain America.

-Stark is Hydra.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The crucial thing here is that they include the vitally important, event-defining moment from the original Civil War crossover.

Yeah, you know the one.

:byodame: "Do you know what MySpace is?"

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
My reaction if the ASM movies become a part of MCU continuity: "Wow New York really takes it up the rear end huh??"

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The best part about Marvel rumors is people posting meltdowns under the assumption that the movies will be attempting to adapt whatever elements are in the comics perfectly, and not just using the name. Why not wait until there's at least an iota of additional info about how they're going to do it?

It's like hearing Iron Man 1 would be adapting aspects of Extremis in 2007 and immediately writing an extended post about how stupid it will be to see the Iron Man suit stored as little metal rods in Tony's bone marrow or whatever.

"Civil War" referring to Stark and Cap finding themselves opposed on some issue arising from the events of Avengers 2 still leaves a ton of room open to fit the characters and universe. It doesn't seem like they've built a fictional universe to support the idea of something like "mutant registration" yet, but it would take like 2 minutes at the beginning of a film to set that up if you're savvy. I sense a weird dichotomy at times, where fans want the MCU to not have to adhere a big interconnected universe lest individual films suffer ("let the movies stand on their own"), but then they wring their hands if previous films haven't set up enough hooks for the next one. I don't see any issue with weaving in Winter Soldier, Cap 2's Congressional hearings, and all that jazz - the only real thing that was announced is that Tony will be involved and will disagree somehow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hey if they need a government enforcer with superpowers, they do still have Blonsky aka the Abomination.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

berserker posted:

edit: 4th Avengers film? Gulp.

2028 dude. Are you ready?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

The same people who did Winter Soldier (which was the biggest film of the year until Guardians) are doing these. They were TV directors. So this argument is hilarious.

This has also been their plan from the sound of it from even before Winter Soldier came out, since they were working on the script before then.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Electromax posted:

The best part about Marvel rumors is people posting meltdowns under the assumption that the movies will be attempting to adapt whatever elements are in the comics perfectly, and not just using the name. Why not wait until there's at least an iota of additional info about how they're going to do it?

It's like hearing Iron Man 1 would be adapting aspects of Extremis in 2007 and immediately writing an extended post about how stupid it will be to see the Iron Man suit stored as little metal rods in Tony's bone marrow or whatever.

"Civil War" referring to Stark and Cap finding themselves opposed on some issue arising from the events of Avengers 2 still leaves a ton of room open to fit the characters and universe. It doesn't seem like they've built a fictional universe to support the idea of something like "mutant registration" yet, but it would take like 2 minutes at the beginning of a film to set that up if you're savvy. I sense a weird dichotomy at times, where fans want the MCU to not have to adhere a big interconnected universe lest individual films suffer ("let the movies stand on their own"), but then they wring their hands if previous films haven't set up enough hooks for the next one. I don't see any issue with weaving in Winter Soldier, Cap 2's Congressional hearings, and all that jazz - the only real thing that was announced is that Tony will be involved and will disagree somehow.

This is a very reasonable post.

I agree, why assume that this is going to be the Mark Millar Civil War from 2006? The Winter Soldier was not an adaptation of the Winter Soldier arcs from the comics, why would Civil War be?

My only concern is that if the issue ends up being Superhuman Registration, there's not that big of an issue since the only characters not already on the main superhero team by 2016 would be Ant Man and Daredevil, and I doubt Tony and Cap are gonna fight that much over them.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Codependent Poster posted:

The same people who did Winter Soldier (which was the biggest film of the year until Guardians) are doing these. They were TV directors. So this argument is hilarious.

This has also been their plan from the sound of it from even before Winter Soldier came out, since they were working on the script before then.

Winter Soldier's understandably popular, but the visual style ranges from 'bland' to 'rather ugly'.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

radlum posted:

My only concern is that if the issue ends up being Superhuman Registration, there's not that big of an issue since the only characters not already on the main superhero team by 2016 would be Ant Man and Daredevil, and I doubt Tony and Cap are gonna fight that much over them.

Well we already know that Avengers 2 will be establishing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, presumably rescuing them from wherever they are imprisoned, so you already have the hook of "hey there are more people with powers out there than we thought (and bad guys are trying to use them against us)!"

Then of course the second hook will be Iron Man accidentally creating Ultron (and subsequently(?) the Vision) and causing a giant tragedy, so the idea of him being guilty with his role in creating these super powered conflicts will naturally lead into him wanting more control.

So I am sure it will be less "hey we need to register the 10 dudes we know have powers" and more along the lines of "hey Cap, help me hunt down people with powers; what do you mean that's a violation of civil rights?" I am sure Stark will also have some kind of device which can identify the "metagene" just like the sentinels from the X-Men, and Cap will heroically smash his shield into the mainframe of this thing before the end of the movie.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

computer parts posted:

Or when the actors get bored and start leaving for other stuff (the "National Treasure/Pirates of the Caribbean" effect).
Pirates of the Caribbean 4 still made a billion dollars and I'm honestly shocked 5 is taking so long to come out

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

computer parts posted:

Or when the actors get bored and start leaving for other stuff (the "National Treasure/Pirates of the Caribbean" effect).

Also, the script for National Treasure 3 is reportedly being worked on.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Harlock posted:

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 still made a billion dollars and I'm honestly shocked 5 is taking so long to come out

That's my point, it made a bunch of money but the actors wanted to do other stuff so you're not getting sequels very fast.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Really I think they just think that calling it Captain America: Civil War has more oomph than just Captain America 3. They'll take the basic concept of Cap vs Iron Man and add a bunch of other stuff from different comics.

thrawn527 posted:

Also, the script for National Treasure 3 is reportedly being worked on.
Probably because Nic Cage can't really say no to anything at this point.

Skwirl posted:

Oh, hey, this is where I get to bring up how stupid the term "cape killer" was diegetically. Aside from Thor (who was dead at the start of Civil War) none of the major Marvel superheroes had capes, and very few of the minor heroes had one. In the Marvel universe there's no reason to associate capes with super powers.
Which makes it funny since Marvel is owned by Disney

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Electromax posted:

I'm pretty sure those exact posts were made about Iron Man 3 in these very boards.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

achillesforever6 posted:

Really I think they just think that calling it Captain America: Civil War has more oomph than just Captain America 3.

Captain American: Threedom Fighter

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Grendels Dad posted:

Captain American: Threedom Fighter

If this isn't the title of the film then I have lost faith in Marvel. :colbert:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Was National Treasure 2 any good? I remember enjoying the first.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

It's kind of more of the same but I enjoyed it. It's not that great of a film but if you enjoyed the first one you'd probably like the second.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Agreed with what Jimbot said. I'd say as good as the first. And I mean that as a compliment.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think I prefer it to the first, but they're both insanely stupid movies that I also enjoy.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

achillesforever6 posted:

Really I think they just think that calling it Captain America: Civil War has more oomph than just Captain America 3.

I'm 99% sure it will be something like that. Consider, Captain America:The First Avengers's sequel is Captain America: The Winter Soldier, not Captain America 2.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Always thought it was strange that Iron Man got the numbered sequels but the other films seem to be getting subtitles instead.

Not sure what IM2's subtitle would've been though, that movie didn't really have a Big Idea that sticks out to me. Feels like Iron Man: Subtitle would feel less worn out than IM3 and IM4, but who knows, didn't work for the Pirates movies.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Most suggestions (Iron Man: Armor Wars and Iron Man: Extremis) probably wouldn't help the argument that Marvel is pulling names from comic arcs for their movies without much regard for the corresponding story. And, they don't have the same effect as something like Captain America: The Winter Soldier does over Captain America 2.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Call me sad, but the first thing that occurs to me about calling CA3 "Captain America: Civil War" is that that name is not going to go over well with a certain strand of clueless media and political types in the US.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Captain America: The War of Northern Aggression

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Captain America: Let's Bomb the Russians

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
As long as Cap 3 involves Cap getting killed by Crossbones and the return of Red Skull, I'm happy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jamesman posted:

As long as Cap 3 involves Cap getting killed by Crossbones and the return of Red Skull, I'm happy.

I don't think we're getting any more Hugo Weaving as Werner Herzog as The Red Skull, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ewan McGregor to save us by being rumored for Doc Strange

• Locked thread