Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can confirm Silent Hill works on PSTV through a PS3 transfer. Crappy Vine proof

Both YouTube and Netflix apps won't work. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Yechezkel posted:

I can confirm Silent Hill works on PSTV through a PS3 transfer. Crappy Vine proof

Both YouTube and Netflix apps won't work. :psyduck:

I'm like 99% positive the PSTV PSP/PSX compatibility is the same hosed up deal as it was on Vita when they first came about. It'll work just publishers (Konami) refuse to put a cent towards re-licensing an old game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:siren:Soul Sacrifice Delta works:siren:

Also Akiba'S trip and Mutant Mudds Deluxe

So I'm pretty sure any PSP or PS1 classics work the same as on regular Vita, so if they needed PS3 transfers before, they still do (although if you got them to a regular Vita already you have options from there that don't require a PS3 anymore).

Doesn't Work
Flower
FlOw
Sound Shapes
Surge Deluxe

I just thought of a few more titles to test so will probably do one more pass.

Also I don't own any but none of the Hyperdimension Neptunia games are on the PS TV store so I'm guessing none of those work.

Also not that anyone cares but a few games have English-only and French-only versions, and only the English ones are listed on the PSTV store.

I would pretty much assume at this point that anything not listed on the PSTV store doesn't work at all, and am pretty sure my list is essentially good but if you notice any discrepancies let me know.

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 15, 2014

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
What about Metal Gear Solid?

quote:

Doesn't Work
Sound Shapes
:wtc: I swear, they released an update saying it would work with PSTV.
It doesn't work on my end either, even with the latest update out today.

I hate that quitting a single game or app always leads to the Featured LiveArea, not the bubble menus.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 15, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

What about Metal Gear Solid?

:wtc: I swear, they released an update saying it would work with PSTV.
It doesn't work on my end either, even with the latest update out today.

Might be a Japan-only thing atm, but then again maybe it was just some confusion like a translation error from Japanese news or something. Are you sure the Japanese version works?

I'm going to test MGS to be sure (about to test Peace Walker PSP).

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I just got one of these things. Can I just pop in the memory card from my Vita into this and not have to re-download all those games/save files?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
As long as you activate the PSTV with your PSN account before putting in the memory card, yes.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Nice, thanks! I'd like to get another 32gb memory card, or maybe the 64gb, but they're so drat expensive. Ugh.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Good news on VC2. Keep meaning to do a playthrough on that and this will give me the incentive. I really hope though that SAO gets patched to work soon.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If anyone has any specific testing requests for something not on Sony's compatibility list, feel free and I'll indulge you if I can. Doing a game batch right now but it's probably the last one I'll do without specific requests.

Anyone confirm if SAO launches or not?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Why does the Cruchyroll app work but not Netflix or Youtube? :wtc:

Facebook app does not work
iFruit does not work :qq:
Touch my Katamari does not work
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z does not work

PS1 classic Metal Gear Solid works (transfer from PS3)

Oh crap bad news
Peace Walker PSP DOES NOT WORK
Final Fantasy III PSP DOES NOT WORK

No idea what's so special about these games, but fuckkk.

univbee fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 15, 2014

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
In my mind it all has to do with getting the certification. Take for example Tales of Montezuma Arena - it works but is 100% touch screen controlled. You have to use the DS4 touchpad for everything in it. Tales of Montezuma Blitz however does not work.

With the random supported apps and hosed up game support I'd say publishers were just slow/didn't care to rush it and/or abandoned the game or app.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
univbee, could you test out controller options for the PS1 games. I mentioned it before, but I am curious if it lets you remap buttons and assign the dpad to the analog stick like the Vita does. I loved that option on the Vita, as by default a lot of the pre-DualShock 1 games don't let you use the analog stick for movement on the PS3 for example. Also it handy for those weird games that didn't get the Confirm/Cancel buttons swapped on the English release.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

Touch my Katamari does not work

As I said before, it works on the Japanese version on my Vita TV, but it was patched. So I'm guessing they never patched it here.

Also the only video app I can use (beyond the lovely HTML wrapper ones) is NicoVideo. They never got around to Youtube, so I doubt they will now.

Rirse posted:

univbee, could you test out controller options for the PS1 games. I mentioned it before, but I am curious if it lets you remap buttons and assign the dpad to the analog stick like the Vita does. I loved that option on the Vita, as by default a lot of the pre-DualShock 1 games don't let you use the analog stick for movement on the PS3 for example. Also it handy for those weird games that didn't get the Confirm/Cancel buttons swapped on the English release.

If I recall (I don't have my Vita TV with me, it's stuck back at my parents house in Albany, forgot to bring it with me) it will let you. Same with PSP games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PSP Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles also doesn't work :(

Every other PSP game I own is on the compatibility list.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

It has options but I think maybe not as extensive as you're hoping for, I can "assign left stick" to the D-Pad, and can change "Switch mode" between analog and digital. This is just in Suikoden, though, do options depend on the game?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

univbee posted:

WHELP that blows

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

univbee posted:

It has options but I think maybe not as extensive as you're hoping for, I can "assign left stick" to the D-Pad, and can change "Switch mode" between analog and digital. This is just in Suikoden, though, do options depend on the game?

Well that's better then the PS3, which doesn't let you assign anything to the PS3 at all. The only games where remapping issues really are annoying is Vagrant Story, which has a really odd default control scheme.

I doubt they work, but has anyone tried something like Crash Bandicoot from the Whitelist goof?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

I doubt they work, but has anyone tried something like Crash Bandicoot from the Whitelist goof?

Actually I was able to launch Crash Bandicoot: Warped. I think the PSP titles work via a whitelist (although why Valkyria Chronicles 2 got through I don't know) but the PS1 stuff is pretty much "it'll work as long as it's there".

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

By "transfer from PS3" you mean have a Vita, connect the Vita with the memory card to the PS3, transfer from the PS3 to the Vita, then shut off the Vita, remove the memory card from the Vita, then place it in the PS TV and turn it on, correct?

Which makes the idea of getting it to do stuff I can't do because I don't have a Vita even stupider. I guess I will pass after all.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm not 100% sure on the specifics, but you can use a PS3 as a content manager for the Playstation TV over a LAN. So the steps would be:

- Download game to PS3 so it's in that install bubble mode
- Connect Playstation TV to the PS3 using the content manager
- Transfer games to the Playstation TV

In my case I'd transferred them to my regular Vita, backed them up to a PC using the content manager, then connected to that same PC using the Playstation TV and all my Vita goodies were there and transferrable, including the PS1 whitelist snafu games.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

PS1 classic Metal Gear Solid works (transfer from PS3)
Nice!

quote:

Oh crap bad news
Final Fantasy III PSP DOES NOT WORK

No idea what's so special about these games, but fuckkk.
Ooooh, not nice.

CrashCat posted:

By "transfer from PS3" you mean have a Vita, connect the Vita with the memory card to the PS3, transfer from the PS3 to the Vita, then shut off the Vita, remove the memory card from the Vita, then place it in the PS TV and turn it on, correct?

Which makes the idea of getting it to do stuff I can't do because I don't have a Vita even stupider. I guess I will pass after all.

I just checked this, and PSTV and PS3 can interact with each other through the same local network through Content Manager on PSTV, either wired or wireless. Transfers work exactly the same as with a Vita.

One note though: if both PSTV and PS3 are connected to the router through wireless connections, the transfer speed will be much slower than if one or both of them were connected to the router with a wired connection.

I don't believe a direct wired connection from the PSTV to the PS3 will work.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yechezkel posted:

I just checked this, and PSTV and PS3 can interact with each other through the same local network through Content Manager on PSTV, either wired or wireless. Transfers work exactly the same as with a Vita.
Ohhh, that's not so bad then. I am mentally locked in the old realm of having to plug the PSP in directly to send poo poo. Both would be wired to the network and it wouldn't kill me to turn the PS3 on when I want to load crap.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

So how much does the PS4 remote play suck, when you're on the same network? I have pretty good latency (2-3ms) and a decent amount of bandwidth available. I've seen YouTube vids and technical breakdowns claiming around 100ms latency on a wired connection, but I have no concept of what that would actually feel like with a controller in my hands. It looked ok on the vids i've watched, but when you're actually playing it could be a different story?

I realise it would probably make games like COD suck very badly, but basically my plan is to get one and play GTA5 in my home office when the TV is being used by someone else. I can definitely forgive some lag, but if it makes the experience too lovely then i won't bother.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

So how much does the PS4 remote play suck, when you're on the same network? I have pretty good latency (2-3ms) and a decent amount of bandwidth available. I've seen YouTube vids and technical breakdowns claiming around 100ms latency on a wired connection, but I have no concept of what that would actually feel like with a controller in my hands. It looked ok on the vids i've watched, but when you're actually playing it could be a different story?

I realise it would probably make games like COD suck very badly, but basically my plan is to get one and play GTA5 in my home office when the TV is being used by someone else. I can definitely forgive some lag, but if it makes the experience too lovely then i won't bother.

Just like with PS4 remote play on a vita, there are way too many variables to really tell until you try it.

I think you're probably right though - super twitch intensive games will probably not be great on it, but anything a little slower paced will be fine as long as your network is up to par.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
My PSTV is here, I kinda forgot I ordered it. Holy poo poo, this thing is tiny. I'll set it up in my bedroom for some remote play and for watching movies - somebody said Netflix app doesn't work?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

SubponticatePoster posted:

My PSTV is here, I kinda forgot I ordered it. Holy poo poo, this thing is tiny. I'll set it up in my bedroom for some remote play and for watching movies - somebody said Netflix app doesn't work?

Netflix and Youtube don't work. Basically if you want to do anything else besides play games on it, you'll probably be disappointed.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Drastic Actions posted:

Netflix and Youtube don't work. Basically if you want to do anything else besides play games on it, you'll probably be disappointed.
I'm sort of not surprised they didn't. It probably costs money and they only begrudgingly put this thing out at all. Of course nowadays your goddamn toaster can run Netflix so that's kinda sad.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Trip report: can't access Netflix via PS4 remote, but works just fine through the browser. Didn't try youtube but imagine it's the same. Maybe due to space issues, I dunno.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

Trip report: can't access Netflix via PS4 remote, but works just fine through the browser. Didn't try youtube but imagine it's the same. Maybe due to space issues, I dunno.

Most (all?) video services don't work while streaming because :siren: piracy vector :siren: or something dumb related to content licensing.

The fact that even Netflix wasn't ready for launch doesn't bode well. :smith:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
univbee here's your confirmation that SWO does not work

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/734608-sword-art-online-hollow-fragment/70310770?page=1

Also regarding media if you look in the settings app there's settings for media forwarding of some sort with a passcode option. I would assume down the line some sort of DLNA app will come out from Sony.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Drastic Actions posted:

Wow that's shocking. Very glad I held off on impulse buying one of these to stream PS4 games/Netflix in the bedroom. Looks like plugging my old PS3 in will be the superior solution for now.

Hopefully they can patch the incompatible games/Netflix/Youtube and fix this thing. What a flaming disaster of a launch.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Sorry to double-post but this is just :psypop:

http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showtopic=27722&#entry870997

Wyrdwad posted:

Regular flavor Ragnarok Odyssey and Valhalla Knights 3 are on the compatibility list from Sony, so both should theoretically be compatible on day one (Valhalla Knights 3, incidentally, is the only Vita game we've released that's compatible with Japanese Vita TV).

ACE... should also be compatible on day one? But yeah, I just asked in the office about it, and apparently that one's kind of up in the air as well -- officially, I'm supposed to tell you to ask Sony, because we're not going to be 100% certain *anything* is PSTV compatible until we have a PSTV in the office and can test each game directly. Only Sony knows for sure what is and isn't going to be compatible day one, and their list of compatible titles seems kind of iffy (it has Orgarhythm listed, for example, which is clearly NOT going to be compatible due to its pure touchscreen-based gameplay).

So I guess... wait and see? ;)

-Tom

What the gently caress is Sony doing? They didn't even give Marvelous/XSEED a Playstation TV to test their games on. I'm going to guess the same happened to a lot of developers

At least they're trying to get the devs to push the JP patches out so they'll work here.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 15, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Y'all gotta remember that this thing was developed simply as an apology for Japan getting the PS4 four months later than the West. I don't think we can expect much support from it in general.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Y'all gotta remember that this thing was developed simply as an apology for Japan getting the PS4 four months later than the West. I don't think we can expect much support from it in general.

I know Japanese business culture is very different from ours, but I don't see how this makes sense. They're making high-level business decisions based on their Japanese Honor for mistreating their consumers? Is there something the Sony people have said to indicate this?

Even if it really is supposed to be an apology, I don't see how it'd improve their PR standing, since it's not like it's something anyone wanted over there anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it probably won't see much support (especially in the US) but it doesn't really make sense to me as an "apology", since it doesn't really make up for the PS4 delay in any way.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 15, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

I know Japanese business culture is very different from ours, but I don't see how this makes sense. They're making high-level business decisions based on their Japanese Honor for mistreating their consumers? Is there something the Sony people have said to indicate this?

Even if it really is supposed to be an apology, I don't see how it'd improve their PR standing, since it's not like it's something anyone wanted over there anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it probably won't see much support (especially in the US) but it doesn't really make sense to me as an "apology", since it doesn't really make up for the PS4 delay in any way.
They needed something to release in Japan at the same time as the PS4 was being released elsewhere, and they didn't want to spend much time or money on it. The result of that decision is the Vita TV.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I went through every single title I owned, so this is pretty much as far as my testing can go right now.

FIFA 14 has English, French and Spanish editions (I believe the Spanish edition is US only and the French is Canada only). English and Spanish are listed by Sony as compatible but French isn't. Probably an oversight. Lego Batman also has a French-only edition and that's explicitly listed as compatible.

Of the other stuff, I tested every app, and every Vita game I had that wasn't on Sony's list.

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland works (the other Atelier games are listed as compatible)
Crackle works

The following DO NOT WORK
Germinator
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Sine Mora
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD

I think the saddest thing is that I probably did more today for this console than Sony has in a long time. :cripes:

The last thing I'll note is the following oddity: the "what's new" page, for lack of a better term, seems to be permanently set to Japanese on my Vita TV despite binding it to a Canadian account, so that might be hardware-locked.

Updated my INcompatibility list and also reorganized it, so the Japan-only stuff is its own list as are apps. It's probably essentially complete right now. As always, any news, good or bad, let me know and I'll adjust accordingly.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Samurai Sanders posted:

They needed something to release in Japan at the same time as the PS4 was being released elsewhere, and they didn't want to spend much time or money on it. The result of that decision is the Vita TV.

That makes sense. It'd be cool if it caught on enough to keep getting supported for a while. I wonder if there's any chance it could gain any traction as a console for your kids - that seems to be how they're marketing it with the Lego bundle and releasing it on the same day Minecraft comes out, and a lot of the people I've seen talking about buying it have mentioned being interested in it for that reason.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

XboxPants posted:

That makes sense. It'd be cool if it caught on enough to keep getting supported for a while. I wonder if there's any chance it could gain any traction as a console for your kids - that seems to be how they're marketing it with the Lego bundle and releasing it on the same day Minecraft comes out, and a lot of the people I've seen talking about buying it have mentioned being interested in it for that reason.

Honestly the biggest problem with that is that you can get a ps3 for basically the same price, when you factor in the accessories. Maybe as a console that can take abuse, since it has no moving parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I honestly don't know where it fits in the market, and it doesn't seem like they care. Everything screams "ignoring this product we just released" so hard that I can't imagine why they would even bother to localize and ship it. At best you can play a handful of Vita JRPGs on it or something, I guess. Even some of those are blocked. I can't think of another niche where you would get something that isn't also on every other platform already. And then they didn't even go through the effort to make all the PS+ games compatible so they could lure people with the promise of playing a bunch of free games they already got. It's just baffling.

• Locked thread