Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Drifter posted:

Of course. Why would you think otherwise? Their reason for the notepad substitution was because they want to shoot up until the last minute, apparently.

Ah you were talking about work being cut so I wasn't sure. I guess I look at it as getting the doc and a notebook now so it is even better for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Drifter posted:

Also, I suspect I know why they did it (because they simply hadn't devoted the requisite work hours), but I would have never expected a behind the scenes/documentary to go from inception to release. Nobody cares about that last month or two. That's covered by press interviews and whatnot. It seems to me they could have very well made a perfectly wonderful documentary with all that behind the scenes development stuff and shipped it with the other things had they spent the time doing it. All it takes is planning and understanding the limitations. How does ANYONE else send out these things? They just plan ahead and cut the documentary when it needs to be cut and no quality is lost.

I will not watch the documentary, so I don't really care but a documentary that doesn't cover the last phase until release isn't a very good one.

Drifter posted:

I'm sure it just comes down to money.
Edit:I would expect that it costs more money to make a longer documentation.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 15, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

prometheus12345 posted:

I will not watch the documentary, so I don't really care but a documentary that doesn't cover the last phase until release isn't a very good one.

Aside from a producer flapping his arms in the air and voila-ing away a curtain to reveal a gold master copy of the game, there's not much that happens in the last month that also hasn't happened in the past two years.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

adhuin posted:

It's more that they paid specifically for that Blu-ray/DVD (Valued at $10-20) and are getting a notepad (value for median pledger approaches ~$0).
Its a pretty big drop in delivery. They should have tried for comparable physical/collectible goods (instead of a disposable notepad) or extra game keys as an apology or something.

It will definitely hurt their chances at getting people to pay for higher tiers of any future projects, since "dumb goodies" are the reason people waste money on over-priced versions of the same game to begin with.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

People are actually doomsaying future projects over this and it's both hilarious and a sad example of how consumers live at the margins. It's the poo poo that doesn't matter that makes the biggest stink

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
People are dumb. That notepad is way better than a stupid DVD.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Look I'm very angry because I get a cool notepad rather than a worse version of something in an obsolete format that I'd get anyway.

Hell, Eternity wasn't a kickstarter the last time I used my DVD drive. The last time that thing was opened it was in a different case.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Drifter posted:

Also, I suspect I know why they did it (because they simply hadn't devoted the requisite work hours)
We've* been shooting documentary footage periodically for the entire duration of development.

* The company we contracted.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
i don't want a notepad I want a signed obsidian hockey jersey worn by rope kid and avellone throughout development tyia

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Basic Chunnel posted:

People are actually doomsaying future projects over this and it's both hilarious and a sad example of how consumers live at the margins. It's the poo poo that doesn't matter that makes the biggest stink
Its not doomsaying to make the obvious statement that people will think twice before dropping 250 instead of 30.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ it was basically 100 vs 140 - were that 140 also got you a cloth map and mousepad as well as that physical documentary.

rope kid posted:

We've* been shooting documentary footage periodically for the entire duration of development.

* The company we contracted.

I didn't mean to imply you guys^ weren't shooting your material, just that it possibly wouldn't have been able to be cut in time to meet a pregold date. I'm curious to see what that delay allows as far as more interesting footage from the final month+ of post production.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 15, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

FRINGE posted:

Its not doomsaying to make the obvious statement that people will think twice before dropping 250 instead of 30.
Ahahaha remember when Kickstarter was going to deliver independent developers from fickle and risk-averse publishers

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

xthetenth posted:

Look I'm very angry because I get a cool notepad rather than a worse version of something in an obsolete format that I'd get anyway.

Hell, Eternity wasn't a kickstarter the last time I used my DVD drive. The last time that thing was opened it was in a different case.

Yah, physical media is totally pointless in 2014. Give me something I'll get some use out of. Like sheets of dead tree to scratch notes on. :rolleyes:

The relative value is irrelevant. Disk promised, disk should be delivered. It's just good customer service.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm really quite skeptical of the notion that people pitched in more specifically not for the documentary itself but for the physical plastic container for the documentary data, such that this change would drop the scales from their eyes and cause them to be wiser, more worldly people all of a sudden. Lesson learned, I guess?

More likely that the trinket never really mattered all that much until it was something being "taken away"

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

FRINGE posted:

I paid $250 because I wanted to support the development of an Obsidian game and it's what I could afford. I couldn't care less about whether or not I watch a documentary about the game from a disk or web address.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Airfoil posted:

Yah, physical media is totally pointless in 2014. Give me something I'll get some use out of. Like sheets of dead tree to scratch notes on. :rolleyes:

I use paper a lot. Like a lot a lot. In fact I have five pices of scratch paper in various states of use next to me on my desk right now and more at my office. Meanwhile I have a desktop that's probably had a civilization of dust rise and fall in it and a work laptop without one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basic Chunnel posted:

More likely that the trinket never really mattered all that much until it was something being "taken away"

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

Also, you do see all the posts about peoples' collections of movies or game boxes and posters and instruction manuals and figurines and whatnot, I'd think there were a lot (statistically significant or no) of people who had a space reserved in their bookshelf for another movie case related to some videogame. I think it's less impressive to the ego to have a notepad and less 'collectible'.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The obvious problem with a notepad is that it will be used up. Whereas a DVD will sit unused and pristine in its case, forever.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Cirofren posted:

I paid $250 because I wanted to support the development of an Obsidian game and it's what I could afford. I couldn't care less about whether or not I watch a documentary about the game from a disk or web address.
Anybody who would pitch that kind of money and become disillusioned over this has far more of it than they have sense, tbh

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anybody who would pitch that kind of money and become disillusioned over this has far more of it than they have sense, tbh

People who spent those high amounts of money probably only got upset after they read comments from other people who were upset.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'd spend 250 bucks on a prime chance to get angry on the internet over trivial things.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

xthetenth posted:

I use paper a lot. Like a lot a lot. In fact I have five pices of scratch paper in various states of use next to me on my desk right now and more at my office. Meanwhile I have a desktop that's probably had a civilization of dust rise and fall in it and a work laptop without one.

And I watch a lot of movies using on an actual BD player. Which is a fact as irrelevant to my point as your love of paper.

I sense not many people see the value of doing what's necessary to deliver on promises, so yah. Giving up the argument and moving on.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm really quite skeptical of the notion that people pitched in more specifically not for the documentary itself but for the physical plastic container for the documentary data, such that this change would drop the scales from their eyes and cause them to be wiser, more worldly people all of a sudden. Lesson learned, I guess?

The dvd was pretty weird and probably forgettable compared to the other actual feelies coming in the physical tier until they took it away last minute. At best we have an example of famous Obsidian project management that results in them not realizing until the original shipping quarter that maybe their ideal filming plan doesn't work with physical media if they want to cut it concurrent with the game. At worst its whitewashing sticker shock at a small batch dvd cut with a "but our artistic vision."

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cirofren posted:

Same here. The only physical object I care about is the autographed box, and only because it's autographed :syoon:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

When I built this PC around 3 years ago I ordered an incompatible dvd drive by accident. I still have yet to bother getting a new one even though they're cheap as dirt and easy to install. I don't think I ever will.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The best thing would probably be to offer to reimburse those people 10$ or something. Some people paid for a physical copy of the documentary, if that is so silly and pointless then Obsidian shouldn't have offered it in the high tiers.
I didn't pledge to get one, but I see no reason to mock the people who did.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
If they are having trouble coming up with the money to make the DVDs they could always open up a kickstarter.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Vargs posted:

When I built this PC around 3 years ago I ordered an incompatible dvd drive by accident. I still have yet to bother getting a new one even though they're cheap as dirt and easy to install. I don't think I ever will.

Me too, for the most part. I have used a dvd player once in the past two years to reinstall Windows. However, the argument isn't "what do you use," it's "I paid for this thing and got this instead."

I can see people being disappointed and can empathize. I wouldn't be all that satisfied with a notepad.

Obsidian made what seems like a good effort to substitute - whether the substitution is of comparable value notwithstanding - for their being unable to deliver the other promise.

*I actually wonder if people would have been satisfied (more) had Obsidian just sent out empty (but artistically complete) Bluray packaging so people could burn a copy of their own on a disc if they wanted. It sounds like people want packaging to show off more than the disc inside considering they'd have internet access to watch the documentary online (and probably not watch it more than once or twice).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 15, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Send a dvd that opens the web page, that should satisfy them :laffo:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Airfoil posted:

I sense not many people see the value of doing what's necessary to deliver on promises, so yah. Giving up the argument and moving on.
They also promised and reneged on two different release dates, so you should really be more frustrated with the project as a whole

Drifter posted:

*I actually wonder if people would have been satisfied (more) had Obsidian just sent out empty (but artistically complete) Bluray packaging so people could burn a copy of their own on a disc if they wanted. It sounds like people want packaging to show off more than the disc inside considering they'd have internet access to watch the documentary online (and probably not watch it more than once or twice).
I thought about this - there was a music-related Kickstarter a few months ago that funded the limited digital release of an album but, because of byzantine copyright laws, they were not permitted to press physical copies. So in addition to the KS they sold a (optional) custom CD sleeve, the whole retail works, with a blank CD inside of it, so that you could burn it and have a physical copy if you wanted. But I don't think Obs would be smart to do that, given that the DVDs were listed as gratis rewards. Better to leave it in the "poo poo happens" pile and let people just stream it.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 15, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basic Chunnel posted:

They also promised and reneged on two different release dates, so you should really be more frustrated with the project as a whole

I thought about this - there was a music-related Kickstarter a few months ago that funded the limited digital release of an album but, because of byzantine copyright laws, they were not permitted to press physical copies. So in addition to the KS they sold a (optional) custom CD sleeve, the whole retail works, with a blank CD inside of it, so that you could burn it and have a physical copy if you wanted. But I don't think Obs would be smart to do that, given that the DVDs were listed as gratis rewards. Better to leave it in the "poo poo happens" pile and let people just stream it.

Reneging a release date is fine if the product appears at a later date. A timing issue is an inconvenience, not a renege. Reneging on a release would be a different matter.

What do you mean free rewards? You pay for a tier with certain elements, the difference in tier pricing means it's not free, by default.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
The really hardcore fans who really want the Bluray/DVD should get a speck of rope kid's chest hair in a plastic bag instead.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

Reneging a release date is fine if the product appears at a later date. A timing issue is an inconvenience, not a renege. Reneging on a release would be a different matter.

What do you mean free rewards? You pay for a tier with certain elements, the difference in tier pricing means it's not free, by default.
In that it wouldn't do to charge twice for something that has (ostensibly) already been paid for. They could just put up the blank DVD package out of pocket, I guess.

As for the release date, someone getting ornery over revised dates wouldn't be unjustified, even if they would be tedious to listen to. Investors (of which we obliquely are, through KS) are under no obligation to understand how hard game development is or be sympathetic to the trials of the devs, they have every right to hold them to their word and deliver what they promised when they promise it (which, up until a few weeks ago, was very clear and firm regarding release within the year). Most simply don't because their calculus (quite accurately) tells them that being inflexible will net them a poorer product. People can be cross over the DVD but it's clearly small potatoes stuff.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Furism posted:

The really hardcore fans who really want the Bluray/DVD should get a speck of rope kid's chest hair in a *DVD-case* instead.

FIXED!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

There's a Superman: Quest for Peace joke in there somewhere.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

They should just send out a beta DVD and patch it later once it's fully done.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I just hope that the staff at Obsidian managed to successfully coach their team through the fact that they won't be playing Santa Claus this year.

My thoughts are with you and your fellow developers and designers through this dark period in history, Rope kid. :ohdearsass:

Batham fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 15, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Krowley posted:

They should just send out a beta DVD and patch it later once it's fully done.

Joke aside, I imagine that if it was possible to release a version of the documentary that didn't include the final days of the development first and then release another episode covering the last stretch of development, they'd do it. In practice, I imagine that'd mean more and pricier work on part of the company that's working on the documentary. The notebook *is* kind of a disappointment. I personally don't see it as a big deal, but the perceived value is undoubtedly less than an actual physical copy of a documentary.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Send them a t-shirt instead. "I backed for a DVD documentary and all I got was this lousy t-shirt." With a ligatured font.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
As long as you can actually download the Documentary in 720p/1080p mkv then that's fine.

OT but Serpent in the Staglands is pretty sweet, atmosphere 10/10 ... and combat is better than Pillars of Eternity atm ;) perhaps a bit slow though.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 15, 2014

• Locked thread