Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

UnoriginalMind posted:

Is there something a step up from the Pilot Metro that's got better ink capacity but is still made of metal? The Lamy and TWSBI models look nice, but they also look kind of like, well, toys I guess. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I like my fancy fountain pens to be equally fancy on the outside too.

Price is important, but if I have to shell out something like 40-75 dollars, I can just wait until the end of the month when I get my commission check. Had a good month and a new pen would be a good pat-on-the-back gift, I think.

Better ink capacity than the converter pretty much means stepping up to a piston filler. Goulet Pens doesn't have sorting by body material, but you can see their list of piston fillers here: http://www.gouletpens.com/Fountain_Pens_s/869.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=869&show=30&page=1&f-Piston-Fill=1184

Edit: If it's just the plasticky, transparent/demonstrator look of most of TWSBI pens that turns you off, they now have pens that come in a "classic" opaque color finish: http://www.gouletpens.com/TWSBI_Classic_Black_Fountain_Pen_F_p/tw-m7443660.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

edit: I misread the post like three times. Just ... disregard.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 14, 2014

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

UnoriginalMind posted:

Is there something a step up from the Pilot Metro that's got better ink capacity but is still made of metal? The Lamy and TWSBI models look nice, but they also look kind of like, well, toys I guess. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I like my fancy fountain pens to be equally fancy on the outside too.

Price is important, but if I have to shell out something like 40-75 dollars, I can just wait until the end of the month when I get my commission check. Had a good month and a new pen would be a good pat-on-the-back gift, I think.

I stand by my Lamy Al-Star and highly recommend it.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

404notfound posted:

Better ink capacity than the converter pretty much means stepping up to a piston filler. Goulet Pens doesn't have sorting by body material, but you can see their list of piston fillers here: http://www.gouletpens.com/Fountain_Pens_s/869.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=869&show=30&page=1&f-Piston-Fill=1184

Edit: If it's just the plasticky, transparent/demonstrator look of most of TWSBI pens that turns you off, they now have pens that come in a "classic" opaque color finish: http://www.gouletpens.com/TWSBI_Classic_Black_Fountain_Pen_F_p/tw-m7443660.htm

Thanks so much!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
New massdrop deals:

Pilot Falcon for $105 (as per usual, add a bottle of Iroshizuku for $20)

One bottle each of Iroshizuku, Edelstein and 1670 inks for $65 (no Stormy Grey, unfortunately)

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Noctone posted:

New massdrop deals:
One bottle each of Iroshizuku, Edelstein and 1670 inks for $65 (no Stormy Grey, unfortunately)

The Falcon was at the very top of my wishlist; I was going to shop for one at the Ohio Pen Show, but this was too good a deal to pass up. Got one in SF and a bottle of fuyu-syogun/Old Man Winter to go with. Now I can focus on a Parker 51 or Wahl-Eversharp, and getting the flow on my Lamy 2000 fixed.

We already have all three 1670s in the house, so the three-branded ink Massdrop isn't really for me.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

atholbrose posted:

The Falcon was at the very top of my wishlist; I was going to shop for one at the Ohio Pen Show, but this was too good a deal to pass up. Got one in SF and a bottle of fuyu-syogun/Old Man Winter to go with. Now I can focus on a Parker 51 or Wahl-Eversharp, and getting the flow on my Lamy 2000 fixed.

We already have all three 1670s in the house, so the three-branded ink Massdrop isn't really for me.

Oh poo poo, that is really tempting. I don't see the option for SF however, just the sizes; are all Falcon nibs "S", or did they run out of them already?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
They're all soft.

I'm kinda tempted to buy another one at that price, even though I haven't even gotten my first one yet from Amazon.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Noctone posted:

New massdrop deals:

Im going to regret not picking up a bottle of the cheap Iroshizuku aren't i? :ohdear:

I've had my eye on the metal Falcon for a while, but buying the resin version at half the price should be a good way to see if I actually like the soft nib.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh poo poo, that is really tempting. I don't see the option for SF however, just the sizes; are all Falcon nibs "S", or did they run out of them already?

The S is for Soft, so all the falcon sizes have that prefix.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

howe_sam posted:

The S is for Soft, so all the falcon sizes have that prefix.

Noctone posted:

They're all soft.

Ah, cheers. I was afraid they came in two "softness levels" and I had missed out on the S.

/edit: Just a few more questions then: I'm guessing massdrop is trustworthy, considering I've seen a few previous deals in here, right?
Any idea how long are shipping times after the items are sent?

Aaaaaaaaaand finally... gold or rhodium? :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 15, 2014

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

howe_sam posted:

Im going to regret not picking up a bottle of the cheap Iroshizuku aren't i? :ohdear:

They're actually fairly reasonable on Amazon. For example you can get a bottle of Kon-Peki for 23, Prime eligible too. I think some of the less popular colors can be had for about 21 bucks or so. Better prices than most of the ones I've seen on pen sites, and if you have Prime that's free 2 day shipping to boot.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ah, cheers. I was afraid they came in two "softness levels" and I had missed out on the S.

/edit: Just a few more questions then: I'm guessing massdrop is trustworthy, considering I've seen a few previous deals in here, right?

Never ordered from massdrop but I've never read anything about it not being legit. According to their FAQ, shipping should be 3-5 days.

Gold vs rhodium plated gold is purely aesthetic preference to my knowledge. Although for some reason SEF is only available in rhodium.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Noctone posted:

Never ordered from massdrop but I've never read anything about it not being legit. According to their FAQ, shipping should be 3-5 days.

Gold vs rhodium plated gold is purely aesthetic preference to my knowledge. Although for some reason SEF is only available in rhodium.

Thanks. You got a SF Falcon recently, right? Have you had the chance to give it a test run yet? That's probably the one I'll go for.

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011
FFS, I was about to buy a Carene. gently caress it, Carene can wait. No promo on this one soon.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Not yet. I ordered it Sunday from Amazon, hasn't even shipped out yet. Just as well, I'm out of town on business all week anyways.

From what I gather from various reviews, SEF gives the most line width variation (as one would expect) but not as smooth of a writing experience. Which is fine if you mostly want the pen for decorative writing, but if you plan to use it as a regular writer then SF or larger is better.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
So this one's a decent deal, then? I know that Lamy 2000 deal wasn't meant to be that great, but if this is, eh, I guess I've been interested in a fancier pen and a bottle of Fuyu-shogun for a while now.

Edit: also dang, does the rhodium/gold thing make a tangible difference? I usually go for white metal, but that gold accent work is pretty fancy.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 15, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The SF and larger seem to be around $115 on Amazon, but the SEF is $150, so if you want that it's probably worth hitting the Massdrop deal.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meldonox posted:

So this one's a decent deal, then? I know that Lamy 2000 deal wasn't meant to be that great, but if this is, eh, I guess I've been interested in a fancier pen and a bottle of Fuyu-shogun for a while now.

Edit: also dang, does the rhodium/gold thing make a tangible difference? I usually go for white metal, but that gold accent work is pretty fancy.

No, not really it's just writer's color preference. I prefer silver over gold.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I really want to get in on the Massdrop deal for the Falcon, but I am mid-restoration of a Waterman's 3V that I picked up on ebay, and I really want a Vac 700 next. Oh well, there will be more deals in the future.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

No more Stormy Grey at Goulet until December :negative:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Bah what happened to a late October restock?

:negative: :negative: :negative:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Welp, just joined the massdrop, got a SF in Rhodium.

I just hope it makes it on time for a friend of mine who's in the states to bring it over, or I'll have to wait until March to get it. :negative:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Don't remember if I saw this posted here:

Pens and Writing: "The Twenty-Six Old Characters" 1947 W.A. Sheaffer Pen Company

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Anecdotally, I just had two pilot metro I got through mass drop show up the other day, they kept me in the loop the whole time as shipping progressed and it was super easy.

Also, the ink deal would not end up saving a whole lot for me, as amazon has the colors massdrop has that I'd get at similar prices, plus free shipping through prime. I managed to convince myself to hold off for now... that falcon though :ohdear:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I want in on that Massdrop too. Fine vs Extra Fine? I DONT KNOW

I'm getting some Fuyu-Syogun though.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 18, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

strangemusic posted:

I want in on that Massdrop too. Fine vs Extra Fine? I DONT KNOW

I'm getting some Fuyu-Syogun though.

Depends if you like JP Fine nibs on their own. IIRC EF is extremely fine and there will be noticeable feedback if you don't mind during writing.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Alder posted:

Depends if you like JP Fine nibs on their own. IIRC EF is extremely fine and there will be noticeable feedback if you don't mind during writing.

Sounds like I'm in the Fine camp then.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

strangemusic posted:

Sounds like I'm in the Fine camp then.

One of us! One of us! :getin:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

I finished restoring my first vintage fountain pen today! It's a Watermans 3V that I got off ebay because I love the flecked grey/red/black celluloid color. It was not too tough to restore, I got lucky because the lever box is in great condition, and I made sure I cleaned all of the hardened, cracked ink sac out of it before I tried it. The biggest part of restoring it was just a lot of patience and soaking in cold water.

And here's what I currently possess:

and a writing sample:

The inks are Private Reserve Sherwood Green, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Diamine Tyrian Purple, and Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses.

Having bought the Watermans on ebay, I had no idea what to expect with the nib, but holy hell does it write fine, and the difference between flexing it and the Ahab is unreal, it requires so much less pressure, it feels like just normal writing is enough to cause pretty line variation, whereas with the Ahab it has to be very intentional to flex it.

All of that being said, I think I enjoy writing with the Plumix the most. It is a bit dry, I hope when I put the nib in the Metro I can make it write a bit wetter, I think it isn't doing the BSIAR any favors. My next pen (TWSBI Vac 700) will almost assuredly be a 1.1 stub.

edit: Sorry for lovely handwriting.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 19, 2014

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
I envy your handwriting so much.

An update since I asked how to improve my handwriting:
I didn't really write much before other than scribbling lecture notes, but I've enjoyed journalling and practising with lyrics or whatever (it's really cathartic) that I've already joined the massdrop deals for noodlers pen and ink (Black swan in english roses + Mocassin black) and a falcon (with old man winter). I had no idea 2 weeks ago I'd be spending $200 on pens but this is the poo poo.

Also, I want to try broad script calligraphy and italics now too, is there a goto pen for those? I was thinking pilot parallel but maybe a dip pen is a better choice. I think broad script calligraphy is going to be easier for me until I can get my normal writing up to scratch to pursue Spencerian (using the palmer method at the moment).

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011

Crack posted:

I'd be spending $200 on pens but this is the poo poo.

Wait for the day when a massdrop happen at the same time as a good discount on a watermann carene on amazon....

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.

Crack posted:

I envy your handwriting so much.

An update since I asked how to improve my handwriting:
I didn't really write much before other than scribbling lecture notes, but I've enjoyed journalling and practising with lyrics or whatever (it's really cathartic) that I've already joined the massdrop deals for noodlers pen and ink (Black swan in english roses + Mocassin black) and a falcon (with old man winter). I had no idea 2 weeks ago I'd be spending $200 on pens but this is the poo poo.

Also, I want to try broad script calligraphy and italics now too, is there a goto pen for those? I was thinking pilot parallel but maybe a dip pen is a better choice. I think broad script calligraphy is going to be easier for me until I can get my normal writing up to scratch to pursue Spencerian (using the palmer method at the moment).

I'd recommend using a stub italic rather than a "calligraphy pen" if you plan at all on using it for regular handwriting. Calligraphy nibs have much sharper corners and much thinner material, which lets you get those really thin hairlines, but it also makes them a lot less durable and much scratchier. Stubs generally use better quality materials and still allow you to to get very good lines for italic/foundational/etc. calligraphy, but the slightly more rounded corners make them "flow" much better. Dip pens and calligraphy specific fountain pens are really meant to be used for very slow, deliberate writing/art. They're a lot of fun to use, but would be very frustrating for journaling or any application where you'd need any speed. One advantage of dip pens is that you can use them with pigment-based inks, which again makes them useful for art projects.

As far as a decent italic fountain pen, look on Goulet pens as they have lots of options. You can order any of the Lamy standards with a stub nib, as well as a lot of other brands like TWSBI, Monteverde etc. The Goulets also sell their own brand of nibs that are quite excellent and are compatible with any pen that takes a standard #6 nib, including TWSBI, Noodler's, and Jinhao. I use a Goulet 1.1mm nib in a Noodler's ebonite Konrad and love it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you do decide to get dip pens, which can be kindof fun, I'm gonna recommend against speedball. I have no idea why, but they are a pain to use compared to an ancient set of osmiroid italic nibs a coworker gave to me. From what I've read Brause is a good option—I haven't tried them myself though. The Osmiroid nibs are actually pretty alright for day to day writing if the paper is smooth.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Zadus Rejan posted:

Wait for the day when a massdrop happen at the same time as a good discount on a watermann carene on amazon....

Speaking of Massdrop, my matched-pair Lamy Safari pen & mechanical pencil just arrived today.

The pen is a bit drier than my metropolitans, but that's mostly that I ordered it in EF. This is my first safari and I can see why people like them so much. As long as the writing position imposed by the grip section works for you, they're a really nice pen.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I settled on italic script to learn. I was looking specifically for a calligraphy pen to learn with, as I already have a metro (and an ahab, konrad and falcon on their way) for normal use. Also, I've been browsing the calligraphy and calligraffiti subreddits, I want to get into calligraphy to make some artsy writing with some cool flourishes eventually. I live in the UK so I can't order from goulet unfortunately. I looked around a bit and I think I will end up going for a Parallel as it's a lot cheaper than any decent fountain pen I could find, then if it doesn't frustrate me to hell and I gain some skill I'll grab a quality fountain pen or two and maybe a dip pen.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

It looks like Anderson's Pens has Stormy Grey ink in stock, not sure for how much longer though.

edit: And gone, but he said he'll have some in stock later in the week.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 20, 2014

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Magnus Praeda posted:

As long as the writing position imposed by the grip section works for you, they're a really nice pen.
I hated it at first, but I'm a 32-year old leftie who never really learned to write correctly. I think it's helped me a lot, long-term.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
:negative:

Anderson had Stormy Grey in stock for all of about 30 seconds. In stock when I added it to my cart, out of stock by the time I hit Purchase.

:negative:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Pilot Metropolitans on Massdrop again -- 2 pens for $24 at lowest, plain gold or plain black, medium or fine nibs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man, I really want a Mabie-Todd Swan. Why do they have to be so pricey and only available in the UK :(