Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I kind of want to do the 3.0 because at the very least I've managed to build the RG Gundam, and at least the 3.0 would have bigger parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

BlitzBlast posted:

Sazabi vKa, like almost all of the high profile kits, is pretty much an overengineered mess that is more for display than actually playing with. If that's your thing then go nuts.

Yeah, that was my verdict too. It's kind of a shame because it's ALMOST there. Hands that didn't completely fall apart, wrists with structural support, a better way to connect the shield in its expanded mode.

There's no saving the funnels, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My Build Burning Gundam arrived :bubblewoop:! Should be a fun build later this evening. I'm considering getting an AGE-1 Titus at some point, just to pose the pair of them kung-fu-fighting. It may take some expert timing, and be a little bit frightening.

BlitzBlast posted:

My Exia and X are constantly screwing around. And back when I had them out, Gundam 2.0, Force Impulse and my SEED vRMs were fun to mess around with.

Meanwhile 3.0, Nu vKa, FA Unicorn, and Banshee Norn just stand there in one pose because that's either all they can do or I'm too afraid to move them.

Some of mine just have one or two poses I leave them in because of their general loadout/design (the Virtue, Seravee and my customized Kampfer Amazing), but the RX-78-02 on my desk gets fiddled with and re-posed once a day or so. The BBG probably will too, considering how flexible it apparently is :allears:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Titus can't really pose all that well thanks to weight issues, I'd go with HGFC Shining.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Titus can't really pose all that well thanks to weight issues, I'd go with HGFC Shining.

I'm fine with it just posing mid-punch, shoulder-checking or clotheslining with the wrist blades, I'd just prefer a bit of variety rather than two similar fighty-type kits if that makes sense.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

Spallow's really flexible, and a ninja! It just needs to not be white and blue.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm fine with it just posing mid-punch, shoulder-checking or clotheslining with the wrist blades, I'd just prefer a bit of variety rather than two similar fighty-type kits if that makes sense.

It took me fifteen minutes to get mine to do a good punch pose without him falling over, and another fifteen when I realized I had his feet postioned backwards and had to repose him. Titus is an rear end in a top hat to pose.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BlitzBlast posted:

Any tips on seam welding? I've been welding, applying two coats of Mr Surfacer 1000, and then sanding, but it still doesn't look nearly as good as that first picture.

How long do you let the weld cure? I work a bit wet, but I'll generally wait 3 days at minimum and usually more like a week.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 15, 2014

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
To add on, how long are you letting the primer cure? If you sand it too soon it will keep shrinking and the seam will come back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Build Burning Strike is a nice little kit. The flame effect parts on the back are made of a softer plastic, I think the same kind as the beam blades. The punch and kick comet effects are solid, but the burning trail effect parts are also the softer kind. The only bad thing I have to say about the kit is the arms have a tendency to pop out of the shoulder due to the socket design, but they go back in just fine.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My mg exia is never being reposed, but that is due to finally getting the balance and lineup of parts just right in the pose it is in.

Mg RX 2.0 is my go-to fiddle around one.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

My poses aren't great and I never repose. I stick them on a shelf and move on to the next kit.

It's me, I'm the boring guy.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Man, I gotta get that pose just right, and then I generally never touch it again unless it falls down (it always falls down.) I'm not even sure what people mean when they talk about playing with them?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
If you want a poseable MG, get one of the 00 kits. The 00 raisin is too heavy to stand up fully equipped but the base 00 has more articulation than some people I know.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The Muffinlord posted:

If you want a poseable MG, get one of the 00 kits. The 00 raisin is too heavy to stand up fully equipped but the base 00 has more articulation than some people I know.

Does it come with a stand for the 0 Raiser?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I usually pose my roberts in pairs of 2 battling and redo the action shot whenever i think of a new one. I also setup scenes with 5+ and will probably add some scenery once i can find some i can leave out that is cat safe.

SD talk - i've built about 7 of these now, they are great for testing stuff out and pretty fun builds in there own but like other lines they vary in quality. The early zaku's and blaze wizard/strike noir i have are nice models, samurai sazabi or w/e not that great. The rx-78-2 is really slick and came with detail decals. Shield isn't that hot but w/e it was $10

The build strike full package fell apart when i looked at it so much I actually tossed it out. I was thinking of picking up some of the AGE sd (tidus etc) but they also are from the line that comes with big eye decal like build strike so im kinda hesitant.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 15, 2014

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It does not, and the little wing dingles are a bit flimsy. But both the main suit and the raiser 0 Raisin can fit an action base.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

Does it come with a stand for the 0 Raiser?

No it doesn't. An action base 1 (clear sparkle green preferably) is really needed to max out 00 Raiser's posing potential.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So I retried my nub cleanup methodology and lo and behold, the tweezer sprue cutters + nice sharp Xacto blade + thumbnail scrape rubbing did as good of a job as non-tweezer sprue cuts + close non-tweezer trimming + Xacto shaving + progressive sanding and saved me tons of time.

Below is how the methods compare on the MG Delta Plus leg with bonus shiny piston action, which only shows about 2cm at most once I had all the parts together, goddammit.

Given that this picture was taken with a CFL bulb about 4 feet up, shining directly on the part, with zero flat topcoat, I'm willing to bet the discoloration is so minor to be unnoticeable once it's on display.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I got my MG Buster Gundam 1/100 kit in the mail yesterday, dam that box is huge! Also what the gently caress Build Fighters, I went from 0 kits to 3 in the space of like 15 episodes. Still gotta finish my RG RX-78-2. Now I need to exercise some control lol before this poo poo gets out of hand

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

I got my MG Buster Gundam 1/100 kit in the mail yesterday, dam that box is huge! Also what the gently caress Build Fighters, I went from 0 kits to 3 in the space of like 15 episodes. Still gotta finish my RG RX-78-2. Now I need to exercise some control lol before this poo poo gets out of hand

Please do post a lot about the MG Buster. It's on my list after MG Blitz.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG Buster is a very solid kit. It's only got two weapons, but Bandai went all out on them. The heavy armor on the arm gets in the way of articulation a bit, but I can't think of any other problems besides that.

MG Blitz, though... it's a very cool update to the design, but there's a lot of fiddly bits that keep falling off. The shield is too heavy for the arm to really pose, and the flared shoulders actually get in the way of the shield's movement. The rocket claw also doesn't close up perfectly.

Bimmi posted:

I'm not even sure what people mean when they talk about playing with them?

Basically just constantly reposing them for pictures.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

madpanda posted:

I usually pose my roberts in pairs of 2 battling and redo the action shot whenever i think of a new one. I also setup scenes with 5+ and will probably add some scenery once i can find some i can leave out that is cat safe.

SD talk - i've built about 7 of these now, they are great for testing stuff out and pretty fun builds in there own but like other lines they vary in quality. The early zaku's and blaze wizard/strike noir i have are nice models, samurai sazabi or w/e not that great. The rx-78-2 is really slick and came with detail decals. Shield isn't that hot but w/e it was $10

The build strike full package fell apart when i looked at it so much I actually tossed it out. I was thinking of picking up some of the AGE sd (tidus etc) but they also are from the line that comes with big eye decal like build strike so im kinda hesitant.

I just finished my first SD Robert since my lhs just started stocking them. Adorable little strike noir. I'd post a pic but I'm on the train.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Razzled posted:

RG RX782 is a bastard.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Razzled posted:

Also what the gently caress Build Fighters, I went from 0 kits to 3 in the space of like 15 episodes. Still gotta finish my RG RX-78-2. Now I need to exercise some control lol before this poo poo gets out of hand

It's worse than Code Geass and Pizza Hut. poo poo is wallet poison.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My Build Burning Gundam and Powered-GM Cardigan came in a little while ago.

You know how GBF kits have those little "One Point Technic" boxes where the character who owns/pilots the kit gives you advice on how to do detailing for them?

The One Point Technic box for the Build Burning Gundam is done by Yuuma instead of Sekai. I thought that was a nice attention to detail.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Buster is a very solid kit. It's only got two weapons, but Bandai went all out on them. The heavy armor on the arm gets in the way of articulation a bit, but I can't think of any other problems besides that.

MG Blitz, though... it's a very cool update to the design, but there's a lot of fiddly bits that keep falling off. The shield is too heavy for the arm to really pose, and the flared shoulders actually get in the way of the shield's movement. The rocket claw also doesn't close up perfectly.

I'll be honest - despite the fact that it's basically an enlarged HGCE or equivalent, if I wanted a 1/100 Blitz and Buster, would I be better off saving the money and time and doing the 1/100 kits that exist of them if I plan on just doing straight builds, cleaning up nubs, and cementing seams?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MJP posted:

I'll be honest - despite the fact that it's basically an enlarged HGCE or equivalent, if I wanted a 1/100 Blitz and Buster, would I be better off saving the money and time and doing the 1/100 kits that exist of them if I plan on just doing straight builds, cleaning up nubs, and cementing seams?

No. With only a few exceptions, the 1/100 NG Seed kits are mediocre at best. The MGs are worth the money. The NGs are not.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

W.T. Fits posted:

My Build Burning Gundam and Powered-GM Cardigan came in a little while ago.

You know how GBF kits have those little "One Point Technic" boxes where the character who owns/pilots the kit gives you advice on how to do detailing for them?

The One Point Technic box for the Build Burning Gundam is done by Yuuma instead of Sekai. I thought that was a nice attention to detail.

Did you ever find out where to get translations for those things?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

No. With only a few exceptions, the 1/100 NG Seed kits are mediocre at best. The MGs are worth the money. The NGs are not.

How bad am I going to be with the Lunamaria version of the Gunner Zaku Warrior? Not gonna lie, I always liked that kit, and if it's just polycaps and externals I'd rather have the bigger one, unless the HGCE version is for some reason a better buy/better build.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Luminaflare posted:

Did you ever find out where to get translations for those things?

Sadly, nope. :(

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MJP posted:

Absolutely not. There is a world of difference between the old MGs and the 1/100s, and the SEED vRM MGs are so cheap I don't see you really saving that much more money/time.

MJP posted:

How bad am I going to be with the Lunamaria version of the Gunner Zaku Warrior? Not gonna lie, I always liked that kit, and if it's just polycaps and externals I'd rather have the bigger one, unless the HGCE version is for some reason a better buy/better build.

HGCE Destiny kits still don't exist. :smith:

The 1/100 Destiny kits were fine. Not comparable to a MG, but nothing like the old Wing or X 1/100s. The worst I can say about them is that they stick a little too closely to the original lineart, which is bland as hell to say the least. But if you like it, pick it up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bimmi posted:

Man, I gotta get that pose just right, and then I generally never touch it again unless it falls down (it always falls down.) I'm not even sure what people mean when they talk about playing with them?

I used to pose them more before the 10 HGs invaded my desk and took over. I change their poses on some of the action bases, how they are fighting or attacking the other side of the desk. If I do anything I just pick up wing and fly him around, they should of really used the fight form more in the show. Really just need like a tower showcase to put them in to give them more room and keep a few on the desk. Action bases are pretty amazing at posing and keeping them up(make sure the screws are very tight, so they cant slip).

signalnoise posted:

Can you link me to the specific purchasing link

http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-RGM-79-HGUC-144-Scale/dp/B00030EU4E

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ouch, they wanna take a month to ship :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There is most likely a prime site for that. That was the first kit I built, it came in 2 days.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Razzled posted:

Also what the gently caress Build Fighters, I went from 0 kits to 3 in the space of like 15 episodes. Still gotta finish my RG RX-78-2. Now I need to exercise some control lol before this poo poo gets out of hand

A love of Build Fighters, a steady paycheck, and an Amazon Prime account do not a small gunpla collection make.

Only got the Knight and Command Gundams because I liked their BF appearances.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yarrrrr!!!!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Build looks fine, and I'm glad you have a camera that can focus, but you really have to get a better pose than that.

This is your pose.

This is what you were probably trying to do. Admittedly I'm using the RD X1, which is more articulated than the HG Crossbone Maoh, but I don't think I did anything here the HG wouldn't be capable of. In fact, you'll note that the primary difference between this and the previous picture is mostly the camera angle; everything else was just minor details (tilted the head towards the camera, rotated the arm so it would face forward, switched which knee was bent, pointed the feet down so it looks like it's floating, etc) you could get by just trying to do the pose yourself.

Really, you have such a good camera setup that I'd like to focus more on photography tips. You don't have to take a picture of your whole model, though I understand you did it to show off the GP base. Zooming in on the flashiest part of the pose helps direct the eye and opens your camera up for more interesting photos.

Here's the same shot from two different angles as an example.

And as a final note, if you intend to take a full body shot I wouldn't recommend action poses like lunges or the SEED pose. Go for something more relaxed, with the limbs at less stiff angles.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

No I was putting him in a fencing stance. I will keep those tips in mind though! That's my first effortbuild that got to completion too so I'm happy to hear there's no glaring flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

signalnoise posted:

No I was putting him in a fencing stance. I will keep those tips in mind though! That's my first effortbuild that got to completion too so I'm happy to hear there's no glaring flaws.

That pose IS a glaring flaw. :v:

Seriously though, you generally want to keep the weapons in mind when you're doing a pose. Crossbone basically has a curved greatsword, so putting it in a fencing pose doesn't make much sense. It also doesn't help that you have his waist and shoulders almost popping out of their joints. It just results in looking super clunky.

• Locked thread