Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Yeah, I'm not sure how "It's basically just more Resident Evil 4" is supposed to dissuade me from buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
My only concern about it is the supposed performance issues even on current gen systems. Really hoping the PC port turns out to be decently scalable, as my 560ti is getting a bit long in the tooth :ohdear:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Does The Evil Within have any sort of Mercs-like mode upon game completion?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Convex posted:

My only concern about it is the supposed performance issues even on current gen systems. Really hoping the PC port turns out to be decently scalable, as my 560ti is getting a bit long in the tooth :ohdear:

Do you happen to know how it does on PS4? Because that's what I was hoping to get it on. Right now I've got all of one game for the PS4 and I'm pretty much done with it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lotish posted:

Do you happen to know how it does on PS4? Because that's what I was hoping to get it on. Right now I've got all of one game for the PS4 and I'm pretty much done with it.

I have the PS4 version, it looks nice but the framerate is all over the place and it's managed to develop UE3 style texture pop-in. It's disappointing considering that Wolfenstein ran flawlessly at 60fps so it's not the engine's fault.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Were you able to redeem your preorder code? The one that came in mine won't work, but last time something like this happened it was because they had to update the server before any codes worked.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Worked fine when I tried it, however PSN was up and down all day yesterday and may still be struggling.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I beat RE6 last night.

Overall, I liked the game, but the bad parts are way more memorable than the good parts. I think I enjoyed 4 or 5 more. Is it me or was Ada's campaign complete poo poo through and through?

I think my favorite part was the beginning of Leon's campaign, before the catacombs.

edit:
Leon's campaign was film noir, Chris' campaign was a buddy cop movie, Jake's campaign was a date movie/chick flick, and Ada's campaign was a spy thriller. I still have no idea what the gently caress was going on.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
From what I hear, each of the campaigns was made by a completely different team, with little to no interaction between them. Hence why they feel so wildly different.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Early in Leon's campaign is pretty much a sample of what we could have had with a remake of RE2 (hopefully without all the QTEs and heavily scripted segments though). The section with the other survivors was really cool and could have been amazing if it were more dynamic. Imagine what an incentive to play well it would be if you could get everyone out alive!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

That would make complete sense to me.

If they make a Resident Evil that's essentially Leon's campaign before they hit the catacombs, and way longer, it would be the tightest poo poo ever. Constantly having to be on the run because poo poo's falling apart around you is great.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Early in Leon's campaign is pretty much a sample of what we could have had with a remake of RE2 (hopefully without all the QTEs and heavily scripted segments though)...

Yes, this is exactly what I think too. :zombie::hf::zombie:

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 14, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Anonymous Robot posted:

Early in Leon's campaign is pretty much a sample of what we could have had with a remake of RE2 (hopefully without all the QTEs and heavily scripted segments though). The section with the other survivors was really cool and could have been amazing if it were more dynamic. Imagine what an incentive to play well it would be if you could get everyone out alive!
That part was great. I was playing with a buddy of mine through RE6 and like half an hour after we got past that part he just solemnly asks me "Hey, what happened with those people in the church?" and we realized none of them got out alive.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mogomra posted:

I beat RE6 last night.

Overall, I liked the game, but the bad parts are way more memorable than the good parts. I think I enjoyed 4 or 5 more. Is it me or was Ada's campaign complete poo poo through and through?

I think my favorite part was the beginning of Leon's campaign, before the catacombs.

edit:
Leon's campaign was film noir, Chris' campaign was a buddy cop movie, Jake's campaign was a date movie/chick flick, and Ada's campaign was a spy thriller. I still have no idea what the gently caress was going on.
Her campaign is utterly horrible and I equate her character to a smug emote. I know everything and can't explain anything in detail, because reasons.:smug:
I would not be surprised if she single-handedly takes down the Family off-screen, while you fight a zombified building.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Personally I like the fact that you couldn't save everyone. That part of campaign felt really intense to me, and I think a big contributing factor was the fact that your fellow survivors, despite fighting furiously, were ultimately being picked off one by one with horrifying quickness. The rushed nature of the scene made it all the better: there was basically no time to grieve, or last futile attempts to save anyone's life, because poo poo was happening so fast and you absolutely had to keep moving.

But yeah, I can see how making it feel like your actions have more of an actual impact by letting you occasionally save people would be good too.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Mogomra posted:

That would make complete sense to me.

If they make a Resident Evil that's essentially Leon's campaign before they hit the catacombs, and way longer, it would be the tightest poo poo ever. Constantly having to be on the run because poo poo's falling apart around you is great.

100% agree, however, I did like the j'avo mutations (but not the gun-toting standard j'avo). Less set pieces, bigger open areas like the subway tunnel encounter, more zombies and varied mutants/creatures, updated controls, ruined city setting, completely awesome.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Backhand posted:

Personally I like the fact that you couldn't save everyone. That part of campaign felt really intense to me, and I think a big contributing factor was the fact that your fellow survivors, despite fighting furiously, were ultimately being picked off one by one with horrifying quickness. The rushed nature of the scene made it all the better: there was basically no time to grieve, or last futile attempts to save anyone's life, because poo poo was happening so fast and you absolutely had to keep moving.

But yeah, I can see how making it feel like your actions have more of an actual impact by letting you occasionally save people would be good too.

It's just annoying in the sense that it really feels like it's Leon/Helena's fault for getting all those people killed in those first couple of chapters. Like, Leon's job is saving people from zombies and pretty much all he does in the first three chapters is get people killed by them by farting around- the people in the church are definitely the worse than the bus and plane since they actively release the monster from the crypt before leaving the other survivors to get nuked.

As for Evil Within: everything I've seen about it makes me really, really interested in how Revelations 2 is gonna work 'cuz it seems like Mikami ended up really hitting the same/similar notes in regards to how they explore the core system design for an action-based survival-horror game.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
You actually can save people in the church if you kill the monster fast enough. There's even an achievement to save two female survivors.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Fereydun posted:

It's just annoying in the sense that it really feels like it's Leon/Helena's fault for getting all those people killed in those first couple of chapters. Like, Leon's job is saving people from zombies and pretty much all he does in the first three chapters is get people killed by them by farting around- the people in the church are definitely the worse than the bus and plane since they actively release the monster from the crypt before leaving the other survivors to get nuked.

As for Evil Within: everything I've seen about it makes me really, really interested in how Revelations 2 is gonna work 'cuz it seems like Mikami ended up really hitting the same/similar notes in regards to how they explore the core system design for an action-based survival-horror game.
It was your fault all along and Helena's. Her going circles around Leon is responsible for many deaths that could have been avoided. All that to fight her goo girl stripper sister.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Scalding Coffee posted:

It was your fault all along and Helena's. Her going circles around Leon is responsible for many deaths that could have been avoided. All that to fight her goo girl stripper sister.

I'll never live to do a Resident Evil 6 LP, but I'd just like to go on record that Helena is the loving worst. The absolute worst. Steve Burnside grade terrible.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Dark Id posted:

I'll never live to do a Resident Evil 6 LP, but I'd just like to go on record that Helena is the loving worst. The absolute worst. Steve Burnside grade terrible.

No, wait, she's not the worst, I can totally explain why she isn't!

But instead I'm going to clamp my mouth shut, be silent and brooding and repeatedly put you at risk for basically no good reason whatsoever.

(She really is. I think she might be WORSE than Burnside, because at least he's just an idiot.)

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Abysmal posted:

You actually can save people in the church if you kill the monster fast enough. There's even an achievement to save two female survivors.

Only those two, though. I tried doing it as fast as possible with all the stupid-good guns on Easy, and it still pans out with only those two living.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Helena at least has a good voice actor, she beats Burnside for that.

As for Ada's campaign, the final boss fight was a thing to behold, holy poo poo.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I actually played RE6 again a few weeks ago and enjoyed it a lot more this time around than I did two years ago. When the game just lets you cut loose and run around fighting monsters, like Jake's third chapter, it's really quite fun. I didn't welcome the gimmick sections but the only one that really pissed me off was the snowmobile one, I managed to get through the humvee chase on one try.

I even found a few things I had no idea about before - when playing as Ada I accidentally countered Deborah when she jumped at me, leading to a QTE where I attacked her weak point with a flurry of punches. I also never knew you could do stuff like microwave the regenerator hands too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

At least Steve got more entertaining in Darkside Chronicles; still an idiot but tolerable. Helena is intolerable and won't be in future games probably.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

At least Steve got more entertaining in Darkside Chronicles; still an idiot but tolerable. Helena is intolerable and won't be in future games probably.

I didn't have a problem with Helena. It was ridiculous that she couldn't get Leon in the loop before she did, but that's what makes his campaign so film noir-ey. Certainly no more ridiculous than the poo poo that happened in other campaigns.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I even found a few things I had no idea about before - when playing as Ada I accidentally countered Deborah when she jumped at me, leading to a QTE where I attacked her weak point with a flurry of punches. I also never knew you could do stuff like microwave the regenerator hands too.
I cackled like an idiot when I got to Maniac Mansion that regenerator hand. Not as much as I did when I played Punch-Out! with the boss in Jake's campaign, but I had a load of fun with that silly game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sony America clarified the RE Rev 2 raid mode bonus deal. Apparently you can only get the Raid Mode Throwback Pack by pre-ordering the digital "complete season".

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I sort of wonder what kind of bonus bonus items you will get with the disc version... why are they charging $15 extra if raid mode is part of the download version?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

abagofcheetos posted:

I sort of wonder what kind of bonus bonus items you will get with the disc version... why are they charging $15 extra if raid mode is part of the download version?

A thin plastic disc that can also be used to play the game, if you're hard up.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is the bonus Raid stuff a Sony exclusive? I got one of those old-rear end PS2 compatible PS3s, and the poor thing's memory is tiny. I was hoping to avoid doing the old delete/redownload juggle if I wanted to play Dynasty Warriors or something, but poo poo, I love Raid Mode :(

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

It's only been announced for Sony platforms so far, but in this day and age I'd be genuinely surprised if it doesn't make its way to Microsoft platforms eventually.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Always knew the snowmobile was buggy as hell.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Helena at least has a good voice actor, she beats Burnside for that.

Yeah. You could bring up every plot reason in the world for her being worse, but she would still win hands down compared to Steve just because of this.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Regarding a plot point in Revelations, is it significant at all that Jill injected herself with the T-Abyss vaccine, or is it solely to let her survive taking a swim through the virus just a few seconds later?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Geight posted:

Regarding a plot point in Revelations, is it significant at all that Jill injected herself with the T-Abyss vaccine, or is it solely to let her survive taking a swim through the virus just a few seconds later?

Yeah, it's pretty much that. I forgot to inject it the first time with predictable results :downs:

edit: vvv I fell in love with Helena the second I first discovered her ridiculous trick-shot combo with the Hydra.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 17, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Momomo posted:

Yeah. You could bring up every plot reason in the world for her being worse, but she would still win hands down compared to Steve just because of this.

I still played Helena because she has exclusive access to my favorite shotgun. As long as you have the Hydra I don't care how stupid you are; I just wish she one-handed it like Chris and Parker.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Helena made me realize just how much plot stupidity I can forgive if you give me the ability to Tornado DDT zombies.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lotish posted:

I still played Helena because she has exclusive access to my favorite shotgun. As long as you have the Hydra I don't care how stupid you are; I just wish she one-handed it like Chris and Parker.

She one hands with her breakdance quickshot :clint:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
So I got a chance to read the Game Informer article about Revelations 2, and the producer's in there saying that if you're really hardcore, you'll recognize the name of the female character who's taunting Claire and Moira through the intercom.

People have been thinking Alex Wesker could be female since RE5, since very little's known about the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crowetron posted:

Helena made me realize just how much plot stupidity I can forgive if you give me the ability to Tornado DDT zombies.

I was gonna say, I didn't find Helena particularly dumber than any of the other one off RE characters (I mean c'mon this is a franchise with Fong Ling, Morpheus, Excella, Bruce McGivern etc. in it) when she has rad moves and a rad shotgun.