Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007
Just ordered an unlocked 1st gen Moto X to replace my smashed HTC One. What will I need to do in terms of SIM cards/activation to get it working with my existing T-Mobile service? Can I just reuse the SIM from my old phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Isurion posted:

Just ordered an unlocked 1st gen Moto X to replace my smashed HTC One. What will I need to do in terms of SIM cards/activation to get it working with my existing T-Mobile service? Can I just reuse the SIM from my old phone?

I think you'll have to cut your sim card down to nano size. It's pretty easy. I've done it with scissors using the sim that comes with the phone as the model.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Isurion posted:

If the som card fits then all you have to do is pop it in and it will work. No need to call anyone. If it doesn't fit then you will need to get the correct size SIM card at your local T-mobile store.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Burden posted:

If the som card fits then all you have to do is pop it in and it will work. No need to call anyone. If it doesn't fit then you will need to get the correct size SIM card at your local T-mobile store.

I picked up a T-mo micro sim activation kit from best buy and just did the online sim update.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It's my first month on the 100 minute plan, so I've been compulsively checking my usage.

#646# has said "Down for maintenance. Check back in 5 hours" for several days, and the website shows that I've used exactly all of my minutes, even though I think I should still have about 50.

...Should I quit worrying and expect the website to reflect accurately once whatever maintenance is done?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

You know, it's my first month on that plan as well. I just checked and had the same two results as you. "Check back in 5 hours", and it shows as my minutes are up and I know I should have some left.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

It's my first month on the 100 minute plan, so I've been compulsively checking my usage.

#646# has said "Down for maintenance. Check back in 5 hours" for several days, and the website shows that I've used exactly all of my minutes, even though I think I should still have about 50.

...Should I quit worrying and expect the website to reflect accurately once whatever maintenance is done?

I just checked my.t-mobile.com on my phone, and it says I'm over 100 and will be charged $0.10/min from now on. There's no way I'm past an hour this cycle, even if a quarter of that is voicemails counting against my time. There's got to be some bug, time for us cheapskates to pester customer service.

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW
T-Mobile loving dropped the ball on the iPhone 6 being unlocked. Pisses me of.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

England Sucks posted:

What? Are you complaining that it is unlocked, or complaining that you think it isn't?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

England Sucks posted:

Don't they only unlock it if you have it completely paid off? Are you on installments?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

England Sucks posted:

T-Mobile doesn't sell unlocked phones. If you purchased the phone in full they will give you the unlock code after you have used the device for 40 days. If you are purchasing the phone in installments they will unlock it after the same 40 days and after you have made two payments on the device and you tell them you are going to be roaming internationally.

Edit: If you want an unlocked iPhone buy a Verizon iPhone. They come unlocked already.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Burden posted:

T-Mobile doesn't sell unlocked phones. If you purchased the phone in full they will give you the unlock code after you have used the device for 40 days. If you are purchasing the phone in installments they will unlock it after the same 40 days and after you have made two payments on the device and you tell them you are going to be roaming internationally.

Edit: If you want an unlocked iPhone buy a Verizon iPhone. They come unlocked already.

Or just a T-Mobile phone direct from Apple (though you lose the ability to use it on Verizon).

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Any news on Nexus 6?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

bryn987 posted:

Any news on Nexus 6?

http://www.google.com/nexus/6/

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2014/10/nexus-6-from-google-and-motorola-more.html?linkId=10037351

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Just saw it, thanks
https://explore.t-mobile.com/google-nexus-6-nexus-9?AID=11031750&PID=6147683&SID=1qus0tgsgu8ve

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
$650 for the nexus 6. Maybe I'm spoiled by the nexus 5 being $350 but this is sad news. Oh well, when is lollipop going to be released for the nexus 5?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

sweart gliwere posted:

I just checked my.t-mobile.com on my phone, and it says I'm over 100 and will be charged $0.10/min from now on. There's no way I'm past an hour this cycle, even if a quarter of that is voicemails counting against my time. There's got to be some bug, time for us cheapskates to pester customer service.

Showing this way for me too, and I know I've barely made any calls at all this cycle. Clicking the "View Plan" link shows that I have 79 minutes which seems about right. Hopefully just a bug on the site display and not anything to do with billing because they do seem to have the proper value somewhere at least.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

sweart gliwere posted:

Goddamn, my account says I'm over. Click view plan details says 96 mins, the first page said 100/100. I hope they are buggered cause I only use google hangouts voice calling and that never counted towards my minutes before, and if it starts now... I'm gonna be pissed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

r0ck0 posted:

$650 for the nexus 6. Maybe I'm spoiled by the nexus 5 being $350 but this is sad news. Oh well, when is lollipop going to be released for the nexus 5?
Gets an updated preview release Friday. Final build probably when the N6 ships.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Any chance the $650 price is inflated and we could see some decent price reductions in the near future?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

bryn987 posted:

Any chance the $650 price is inflated and we could see some decent price reductions in the near future?

Pretty doubtful, it's the price Google is selling it at. Very similar in feature set to the Samsung Note 4 which is $100 more expensive. Gone are the days of the $350 nexus!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Supposedly the T-Mobile version is only the 64GB one, which would be a $50 savings if true. Can't seem to find confirmation on that (or even just availability of the 64 for $50 more).

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

sweart gliwere posted:

Any update on this issue? Should I just wait until the bill comes due?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

If your phone hasnt stopped working (or taking extra dimes out of your balance) its fine.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I went to a store to get the the router. Instead got a signal booster. Tried to return it and the store couldn't take it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

r0ck0 posted:

Any update on this issue? Should I just wait until the bill comes due?

Calling 611 and asking for "dollars and minutes balance" seems to be accurate for me even though the site and #646# are broken. I'm taking 611 as official.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

eddiewalker posted:

Calling 611 and asking for "dollars and minutes balance" seems to be accurate for me even though the site and #646# are broken. I'm taking 611 as official.

Ok, thanks!

edit: yep all good, stupid webpage.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 17, 2014

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Dr Tran posted:

I went to a store to get the the router. Instead got a signal booster. Tried to return it and the store couldn't take it.

T-Mobile has proper signal boosters? I was not aware of this. If it was the $25 deal, customer care should be able to assist your return of it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Anybody do the trade in through the mail that knows how long it takes for the phone to go through their system? I put my old phone in the mail two weeks ago, and they said it needs to be post marked by the last day for trade ins so it is good. I get an email this week saying they still have not received my phone. Do they notify you when they receive your phone?

The mailing label that came with it said "no additional services", so I wasn't allowed to do tracking or anything like that with it. Now I'm sort of getting worried that my phone was lost in the mail... two weeks seems too long for it to still be getting to them.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Someone said earlier it takes 2 months.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Took me 3 weeks and you have to enter the RMA info in the trade-in status page to check on it. I'm still waiting to get my account credited, which they said would take a billing cycle or two.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Finding a T-Mobile store that will take my old T-Mobile phones for the ETF deal has been really frustrating. They all insist I bring in a Verizon phone (since I'm switching from Verizon). If I just do this online, I won't have any trouble from T-Mobile when I ship in my old T-Mobile phones, right?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Resonance22 posted:

Finding a T-Mobile store that will take my old T-Mobile phones for the ETF deal has been really frustrating. They all insist I bring in a Verizon phone (since I'm switching from Verizon). If I just do this online, I won't have any trouble from T-Mobile when I ship in my old T-Mobile phones, right?

I brought the oldest, shittiest flip phone I could find and he was like, "Sure, no problem."

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Hey wait, we can just drop our phones off at a T-Mobile store for the ETF deal? I'd much rather do that than ship them and wait.

On a related note it looks like they got some 6+ in stock, they shipped mine last night! :dance: Hopefully the rest of you on back order get them soon!

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Beefstorm posted:

I brought the oldest, shittiest flip phone I could find and he was like, "Sure, no problem."

Believe me, I've tried. I've went to several different t mobile stores several times each over the last 20 days and every single time they've refused to take my phones. The best I've gotten was "We don't care what carrier it's from as long as it's not T-Mobile."
I've given up on retail stores but am now crazy paranoid that T-Mobile online isn't going to take my phones and I'll be stuck with Verizon etf. Can anyone who's done it online and turned in tmobile phones reassure me?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
I want to use the LTE radio on my iPad 4 (A1460) with the "Free Data for Life" thing (it says you get 200 MB of data for free per month). Am I right in understanding that all I'll need to do is buy this micro SIM?

I'm not currently a T-Mobile customer, but if all I need to do is essentially pay $1 for free monthly data I'm willing to give it a try. Is there anything else I'll need to do?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Bought a new phone that came with a T-Mobile SIM, took that out and put the SIM from my old phone in the new one, I'm up and running fine. There's not really any reason to hang on to the new SIM, is there? The only thing I could think of is having it in case I ever manage to lose my existing SIM but not my phone so I'd have one in a drawer to get them to switch my account to.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Resonance22 posted:

Believe me, I've tried. I've went to several different t mobile stores several times each over the last 20 days and every single time they've refused to take my phones. The best I've gotten was "We don't care what carrier it's from as long as it's not T-Mobile."
I've given up on retail stores but am now crazy paranoid that T-Mobile online isn't going to take my phones and I'll be stuck with Verizon etf. Can anyone who's done it online and turned in tmobile phones reassure me?

Call them out on their BS. Sadly I don't have a better suggestion.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Resonance22 posted:

The promotion is paying for ETFs for switching from another carrier. Personally, I can see why they won't accept T-Mobile phones. My argument as a rep would be "well, you had 2-3 lines on Verizon, where are those phones?" And if its that you sold them to get more money than the trade in, I think you can afford to buy some cheap non T-Mobile poo poo phone so you can also get the ETF credit. Unless I'm missing something I don't think that extra effort being requested from you is unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

The promotion is paying for ETFs for switching from another carrier. Personally, I can see why they won't accept T-Mobile phones. My argument as a rep would be "well, you had 2-3 lines on Verizon, where are those phones?" And if its that you sold them to get more money than the trade in, I think you can afford to buy some cheap non T-Mobile poo poo phone so you can also get the ETF credit. Unless I'm missing something I don't think that extra effort being requested from you is unreasonable.
This. T-Mo isn't the party being the dumbass in this case, if you are trying to use an old t-mo phone for the trade from another carrier offer.