Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

muscles like this? posted:

It is supposed to run for an actual year (not just a TV year) and as far as I know it's still running.

They always had it on Fridays and Tuesdays but now it's just on Fridays, puttering about well below 1.0 and giving Fox execs ulcers (the ones that didn't already get fired anyway). There's no way it makes it a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah it won me over last season and now it's really consistently funny. Needs its own thread.

We could just lump it with the New Girl thread, it's much less busy after people bailed in the 3rd season I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hope and vaseline posted:

We could just lump it with the New Girl thread, it's much less busy after people bailed in the 3rd season I guess.

Nah, shared threads mostly suck unless the shows are linked. If you want a place to talk about the show make a thread. We're not running low on space or anything.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

No, Utopia the reality show that was super expensive and bombed like hell.

Oh ok, but aren't they making a remake of the british thing? Someone anyway?

Another dumb reality show still seems like a poor lead in for New Girl but what do I know? As things stand New Girl should be the lead in. And I know how dire that sounds.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, David Fincher is directing every episode of the British Utopia remake for HBO.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, David Fincher is directing every episode of the British Utopia remake for HBO.

Which sounds loving awesome.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
God Marry Me is off to a great start already, almost felt like Happy Endings never ended.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

And he tapped Gillian Flynn to write every episode, so this is gonna be fascinating.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

And he tapped Gillian Flynn to write every episode, so this is gonna be fascinating.

...I don't know if you're loving with me or not. Doesn't help that I just got back from seeing Gone Girl.

e: which is a really good movie you guys.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

...I don't know if you're loving with me or not. Doesn't help that I just got back from seeing Gone Girl.

e: which is a really good movie you guys.

Gone Girl loving wrecked me. Up there with Silence of the Lambs in terms of showcasing an psychopath on film. The ending is one of the most mentally disturbing things I've ever seen.

I watched the first scene of Utopia after the announcement but after what happened with Broadchurch/Gracepoint I realized that I probably wanted to watch the Fincher and Flynn version more.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

He's not loving with you. It's real.

Also dammit BrUtopia's brilliant and everyone should watch the first season at least.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

lelandjs posted:

I watched the first scene of Utopia after the announcement but after what happened with Broadchurch/Gracepoint I realized that I probably wanted to watch the Fincher and Flynn version more.
No, watch the British version.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

whowhatwhere posted:

He's not loving with you. It's real.

Also dammit BrUtopia's brilliant and everyone should watch the first season at least.

Oh don't get me wrong, I thought Broadchuch was good, but when the American version rolled around and it was exactly the same (except with comparatively worse actors) I didn't see the point of watching it again. Fincher's Utopia will probably be somewhat different from the British version, but I'd rather watch it without comparing it subconsciously the entire time. I'm tired of not liking adaptations that don't match up to the originals, I'd rather be disappointed in hindsight then hating it while watching it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Maxwell Lord posted:

Marry Me's pilot is a good one. Some good jokes and the characters are strong. I hope it lasts.

Yea it was great. I already loved the leads coming into it and the rest of the characters were great.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Slamhound posted:

They prematurely cancelled it though, right? I can see people being eager for the remake if it means there might actually be an ending.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

Gone Girl loving wrecked me. Up there with Silence of the Lambs in terms of showcasing an psychopath on film. The ending is one of the most mentally disturbing things I've ever seen.

True anecdote: I saw Gone Girl opening night and the crowd was 70% vapid Long Islanders in their late 20s and early 30s, most of them presumably there less out of a love for the arts and more to hitch onto the latest pop culture bandwagon. (My corner of Long Island is upper-middle class suburbia. Not a whole hell of a lot of introspection to be found there.)

The lights go up almost three hours later -- dead silence.

Everybody just kind of rises and shuffles to the exit. One said out loud "What the gently caress was that ending?"

Fincher would have loved it.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 15, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Slamhound posted:

No, don't. It was cancelled after two seasons and basically nose dived in quality after the first. Wait for the American version to inevitably get everything right that the British one got wrong.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Lycus posted:

They prematurely cancelled it though, right? I can see people being eager for the remake if it means there might actually be an ending.

PriorMarcus posted:

No, don't. It was cancelled after two seasons and basically nose dived in quality after the first. Wait for the American version to inevitably get everything right that the British one got wrong.

Narrative closure is not the be-all and end-all of filmmaking. Utopia was nothing short of amazing on every level. Season 2 had a drop-off in it's last third, but it's still head and shoulders above virtually everything else. Missing out on Neil Haskell's performance, the soundtrack, the direction, and everything else because you think an American version is going to get something more "right" is insane. I'm seriously interested in what Fincher will do with it, but holy loving poo poo, people, watch the original. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

At the very least, watch the first season and assume it was self-contained.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit: wrong thread

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

Niecy Nash on Mindy Project.

There are some people you have an irrational like of and she is one of them.

I remember her from Reno 911 and that one HGTV show and drat she lost a ton of weight since then.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

I remember her from Reno 911 and that one HGTV show and drat she lost a ton of weight since then.

Did not recognize her at first, would not have at all if someone on this thread hadn't said she was in it.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Slamhound posted:

Narrative closure is not the be-all and end-all of filmmaking. Utopia was nothing short of amazing on every level. Season 2 had a drop-off in it's last third, but it's still head and shoulders above virtually everything else. Missing out on Neil Haskell's performance, the soundtrack, the direction, and everything else because you think an American version is going to get something more "right" is insane. I'm seriously interested in what Fincher will do with it, but holy loving poo poo, people, watch the original. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

At the very least, watch the first season and assume it was self-contained.

Neil *Maskell is phenomenal in the first season of Utopia. I really don't know how Fincher is going to try and portray Arby in the US version but it'll be pretty hard to top.

edit: he could probably just hire him now that he's out of a job :sigh:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I watched this week's Gotham tonight and that show continues to be a poorly-written mess. This week they replaced the goofy as hell, campy villains that people seemed to like with a generic assassin who uses a hilariously impractical, borderline ineffective weapon and boring land renovation politics that didn't seem to actually have any impact despite the show's insistence that it was totally a big deal. I'll keep watching for a bit longer because I'm an idiot, but I'm honestly not sure what the show is even trying to do at this point, other than head towards the established Batman universe that everyone knows at a weirdly fast pace.

Flash, meanwhile, is loving fantastic and is going to be my favorite new show of the season unless the writing and general feel of the show take a reverse Parks & Rec turn in quality in the next 6 episodes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

VDay posted:

I watched this week's Gotham tonight and that show continues to be a poorly-written mess. This week they replaced the goofy as hell, campy villains that people seemed to like with a generic assassin who uses a hilariously impractical, borderline ineffective weapon and boring land renovation politics that didn't seem to actually have any impact despite the show's insistence that it was totally a big deal. I'll keep watching for a bit longer because I'm an idiot, but I'm honestly not sure what the show is even trying to do at this point, other than head towards the established Batman universe that everyone knows at a weirdly fast pace.

Flash, meanwhile, is loving fantastic and is going to be my favorite new show of the season unless the writing and general feel of the show take a reverse Parks & Rec turn in quality in the next 6 episodes.

Can't imagine why when we are expecting Firestorm and then Captain Boomerang/Arrow crossover in the next 7 episodes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Agents of Shield is really good now, guys.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have to imagine that Fincher's decisions for Utopia are influenced by the success of True Detective, since it did the same thing with the whole one director and one writer for the entire season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The director of True Detective was some nobody though. Probably has more to do with big profile Steven Soderbergh doing it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

with the whole one director and one writer for the entire season.

Is that such a novel idea?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

Gone Girl is amazing, which makes this spoileriffic pissbaby meltdown non-review by an anonymous member of our front page movie review column that much funnier. In which the author gives Gone Girl a 0 out of 50 and claims that it's a movie by and for Men's Rights Activists...even though the writer is a woman.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Gone Girl is amazing, which makes this spoileriffic pissbaby meltdown non-review by an anonymous member of our front page movie review column that much funnier. In which the author gives Gone Girl a 0 out of 50 and claims that it's a movie by and for Men's Rights Activists...even though the writer is a woman.

A spoileriffic pissbaby meltdown non-review in Current Releases?! Say it ain't so!!!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Men's Rights Activists...even though the writer is a woman.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, just like how a man can be a feminist.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm friends with a rape victim who told me that Gone Girl really hosed with them because when she stepped up to say "This happened to me," she was accused of being the sort of conniving bitch that Amy was in the movie. Frankly, I can't argue against that and I don't much want to (though admittedly I've tried in the CineD thread). It's an open nerve of a movie that toys with a horrible issue we have with rape in general, and it deserves a dialogue.

That piece of poo poo review is not interested in a dialogue.

(I apologize for furthering this derail.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 15, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BSam posted:

Is that such a novel idea?

Yes, it's pretty rare that a TV show is written/directed by one person.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

I'm friends with a rape victim who told me that Gone Girl really hosed with them because when she stepped up to say "This happened to me," she was accused of being the sort of conniving bitch that Amy was in the movie. Frankly, I can't argue against that and I don't much want to (though admittedly I've tried in the CineD thread). It's an open nerve of a movie that toys with a horrible issue we have with rape in general, and it deserves a dialogue.

That piece of poo poo review is not interested in a dialogue.

(I apologize for furthering this derail.)

Fincher really loves his rapey airport fiction huh?

I wasn't going to see it because RLM says it really falls apart in the end, but maybe when it's on DVD.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We need a bitter blood feud with CD I think. TV is the superior medium!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Gone Girl really fails at a lot of what it tries to be (basically I feel like it wants to be a feminist movie but is hurt by a lot of the original plot and fake rape stuff) but it's definitely something that should open a dialogue and not just be like "IT'S AM MRA TRAINING VIDEO THE END" (even though that was my first thought once the credits started rolling).

Everything involving actual filmmaking, however, is impeccable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There are some exceptions to the one writer thing, like Sorkin wrote a ton of The West Wing by himself and JMS wrote the majority of B5. I can't really think of any examples for director though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bown posted:

I feel like Gone Girl really fails at a lot of what it tries to be (basically I feel like it wants to be a feminist movie but is hurt by a lot of the original plot and fake rape stuff) but it's definitely something that should open a dialogue and not just be like "IT'S AM MRA TRAINING VIDEO THE END" (even though that was my first thought once the credits started rolling).

Spoilers for Gone Girl ahead:

Amy has built, and rebuilt, herself completely around other people's expectations of her. She grew up in the shadow of Amazing Amy. Her relationship with Desi was one where she was forced to essentially be a 50's rich WASP wife (going and doing things only he wanted to do and ready for sex whenever he says). With Nick, she was supposed to be the bubbly indie movie girlfriend who laughed at his dumb jokes and ignored some of his worse traits. And when she realized she didn't want to do that anymore, she used popular culture to determine her route out of his life. She read a bunch of true crime books and watched a bunch of true crime TV shows and then did it all because that was what people expected her to do.

Yes, her actions are straight out of the MRA handbook. That's the point. Amy wants freedom and independence but has no idea of who she is without being informed by others anymore. So she bases her actions completely off of what popular culture expects from her, the perfect amazing disappearing wife story.

Additionally, she doesn't know who she is enough to be happy being herself. That's why she goes back to Nick--because she does choose to go back to Nick, at no point was "Kill Self" completely off the table--because she realized that the only was she could be happy is if she controls someone else to the point where she was being controlled previously. And Nick? Nick never had a direction, Nick never grew up. That's why he's still playing boardgames with his best friend growing up (who also happens to be his twin). He stays and allows it because, for the first time in his life, he is truly not in control and therefore not responsible for his actions.

Actually, let's talk about Nick for a second. A lot of people arguing that the film is misogynist because while Amy is presented as straight up evil, Nick doesn't seem nearly as negative as a character. The thing is, he is so, so similar to a lot of guys out there (including myself, alarmingly enough) that I think a decent amount of the male audience missed it completely. Pissing away money on frivolous poo poo while unemployed, being generally inobservant of his wife's emotions and needs, encouraging her to do things I like because I assume she'll like them too (she just doesn't know better)... poo poo, I'm guilty of all those at one point or another. Thankfully my wife is an awesome human being and called me out on those things, instead of just letting it build up, but drat, Nick really isn't a good guy. Not at all. And that's not getting into the violence and refusal to have a kid. After the ending, I have no issue believing that Nick actually did throw her into the stairs, even if it was sourced from her journal. Wanting to have kids? The semen deposit was a smokescreen, basically Nick saying "I don't really want to have kids, but hey, if you do, you can head on down to the clinic and have them stick my jizz in you".

Anyway this is the TV thread, but I realized that way after I was into this post so gently caress it; I'm posting it anyway.

In terms of TV, I am super looking forward to a Fincher TV show that he's directly involved in. House of Cards was close, but at the end of the day all his involvement was to direct the pilot and set the tone for the series.

[Edit: Now with 100% more spoiler tags]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 15, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

Fincher really loves his rapey airport fiction huh?

I wasn't going to see it because RLM says it really falls apart in the end, but maybe when it's on DVD.

I'm not going to see it because a bunch of morons with rather boring non-opinions who got e-famous from making fun of bad star wars movies said it was bad

Bown posted:

It never tries to be feminist or not feminist, it's attempting to tell a story about a concept that unfortunately has some messed up implications solely because mra and redpillers exist

gone girl is an excellent movie and one of fincher's best, behind zodiac and that's really about it but the number of people trying to say it has a political statement, either for or against, miss the whole point of the movie

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lots of Stargate vets are making a new show for Syfy:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/syfy-stargate-producers-take-graphic-740985

Interview with the creater (and ex exec Stargate producer) of the comic that the show is based on:

http://www.newsarama.com/8745-stargate-writers-explore-dark-matter-in-new-comic.html

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 15, 2014

• Locked thread