Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

LOL well... not exclusively this thread, but I've generally gotten very good results when I want to learn more about a thing, by reading the relevant forums/threads about it on SA. See: how to work on my car (AI), how to keep bees (beekeeping thread), how to do my taxes, how to fix my house's wiring, how to play videogames, what lenses to buy for my camera, how to cook a perfect steak, what to feed my cats, etc.

Past gains do not guarantee future returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

The last time the VIX was this high was over 2 years ago :stare:. I love me some VIX shorting but I'm not even going to try catching a reversal this time and wait for markets to find their bottom.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
SPX 500 here we come

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

Past gains do not guarantee future returns.

Hahaha very nice!

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

DannoMack posted:

What did you decide to do on this one?

I bought some of both.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I have been saying this for ages, but then I look at the yield curve and decide against it. I told myself I may look at the bond market when the 10-year hits 3% again...

Yields are so low, it's absurd, the whole world is dogpiling into our T-bonds. It's doubly absurd when you know, with mathematical certainly, that rates will be going up next year, right? RIGHT!?!? :ohdear:

hopefully today the dip buyers will put on their big boy pants and buy poo poo, especially since earnings are pretty good so far. RUT will definitely be stabilizing imho

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey, messing around with options a bit. By my calcs, I just made $570 - commission and fees by the end of the week (I have an additional 3 contracts worth not pictured, so 18 total), regardless of what happens to the stock price. Can someone confirm that's what's going on?

FYI I think this opportunity's still available as of this edit at 19:30 UTC if I did this right and anyone else wants in.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 14, 2014

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Alas Boobylon posted:

Yields are so low, it's absurd, the whole world is dogpiling into our T-bonds. It's doubly absurd when you know, with mathematical certainly, that rates will be going up next year, right? RIGHT!?!? :ohdear:

hopefully today the dip buyers will put on their big boy pants and buy poo poo, especially since earnings are pretty good so far. RUT will definitely be stabilizing imho

Rates should be going up yeah, i watched a CME presentation that hinted that a big thing keeping them low was the scottish referendum, now that theyve stayed in i think a lot of uncertainty there is gone

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

tbp posted:

Rates should be going up yeah, i watched a CME presentation that hinted that a big thing keeping them low was the scottish referendum, now that theyve stayed in i think a lot of uncertainty there is gone

I have been saying this for literally two years...

Also, INTC beat earnings and revenue. I don't know why everyone was flipping out a few days ago.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 14, 2014

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Dominoes posted:

Hey, messing around with options a bit. By my calcs, I just made $570 - commission and fees by the end of the week (I have an additional 3 contracts worth not pictured, so 18 total), regardless of what happens to the stock price. Can someone confirm that's what's going on?

FYI I think this opportunity's still available as of this edit at 19:30 UTC if I did this right and anyone else wants in.

You'll owe a $734 dividend, so no.

e: You're going to lose $174 + fees, no matter what, unless you close.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 15, 2014

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
re: rates I'll believe it when I see it. happy to be sitting in bonds the last year and a half.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

You'll owe a $734 dividend, so no.

e: You're going to lose $174 + fees, no matter what, unless you close.
Thanks. Got my calcs sorted for dividends now.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
looks like another beatdown today, goodness gracious

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Alas Boobylon posted:

looks like another beatdown today, goodness gracious

No real surprise even, /ES was down 22 points in pre-market trading. It's not always a good indicator, but big movements tend to be on the money.

Lost a huge portion of my portfolio on Iron Condors that looked fairly safe last week. Unhappy but not otherwise too shaken up, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Dwight Eisenhower fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 15, 2014

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

No real surprise even, /ES was down 22 points in pre-market trading. It's not always a good indicator, but big movements tend to be on the money.

Lost a huge portion of my portfolio on Iron Condors that were fairly safe last week. Unhappy but not otherwise too shaken up, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

same, lolin as thousands of my dollars are vaporized, bull dick swings low

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Let me just refresh the stoc- :tviv:

Sure is fun watching this years gains vaporize in less than a week.

But I'm also in boring index funds and not actively trading so not terribly stressed here

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
To be fair we've only regressed back to June over the past week.

Another 200 points before we're back to January. I think it could happen by Friday.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
lol at 10 year T-bonds yields holy poo poo

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
Just wait until the real selling starts. Most of this down move has been cordoned off in the oil/travel/transport section due to oil/ebola. Once it bleeds over to those illiquid tech names trading at 10x sales once people realize the only thing driving the market was the fed's balance sheet the fun will really start.

Take a look at NTCT for an example of whats going to happen to companies like WAGE and GWRE which are even more illiquid than NTCT was. It only took someone selling 3 million shares on a float of 40 million to take NTCT down 25%.

Also if deflation hits watch as all the overleveraged bloat companies like URI are taken out to the woodshed.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 16, 2019

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
I'm like 80% in muni bonds right now, it's odd because they aren't as correlated with treasuries as they used to be. (The spread has widened.) This means either they are oversold, treasuries are overbought, or munis are relatively speaking more riskier than they were 6 months ago. My gut is that munis are oversold, and we'll see a spike if the treasury yields around 2% become the new normal. Also, the CEFs I am in are still sitting on 10% discount factors due to, in my view, the prevalent fear of rising interest rates. If that meme finally dies this'll rapidly correct as well I think.

I'm planning to start assessing the stock market for opportunities if we get back down to SPY 1650 or so. (I still have a $89 QQQ put from a few months ago, still slightly in the red)

edit: Actually looking into it, the discounts have widened, so this is definitely at least some mispricing or "wait and see" pricing in the CEF market.

nebby fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 15, 2014

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Walked posted:

Let me just refresh the stoc- :tviv:

Sure is fun watching this years gains vaporize in less than a week.

But I'm also in boring index funds and not actively trading so not terribly stressed here

Yeah, likewise. I dumped a bunch of cash that had built up into funds last week and the week before, and of course everything has gone even lower since then (buy the dip, but don't try to catch a falling knife?), but overall, this is just how it goes.

I should really go back to entirely dollar cost averaging, since basically whenever I make a deliberate buy, I worry about it to some extent.

onefish fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 15, 2014

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
Holy loving poo poo.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Alas Boobylon posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

-435 :stare:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Oh let's just check whattup today in the stock market toda...

:suicide:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Stock market goes down, will go up again, news at 11.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now

bathhouse posted:

Picked up some TKMR on the dip, ebola ya'll :supaburn:

Stopped at 24.3 from 22's. Was going to hold for PR release today on HBV trials. welp

e. PR data is good, watching.

bathhouse fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 15, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Did all you ninnies retire this morning or what? Enjoy the 3% Off Sale.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I've been fully short for months and scaling into a bigger and bigger position over time... finally paying off big time

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did all you ninnies retire this morning or what? Enjoy the 3% Off Sale.

I don't cAre I haven't sold poo poo in months I just don't understand where the negativity comes from are people expecting a new recession?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Well there's the 10% correction and 30 on the VIX. Took another stab at shorting it and bought XIV at $25/23 stop.

I'm thinking if 1800 doesn't hold then it's :suicide: for the bull market.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 15, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 16, 2019

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So 20% annual returns are not normal?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Time for suckas that started investing in 2012 to realize they don't have the 90 stock/10 bond risk tolerance they thought they did.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Wow, NFLX.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Kal Torak posted:

Wow, NFLX.

Yeah I was coming to say this. Hope whoever was still in it sold off or is selling. Down $105(-24%) right now.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Geez, what the heck happened.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

netcat posted:

Geez, what the heck happened.

good company but ridiculous stock in a bad market... not even remotely surprising.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

HBO announced they're going to do a standalone streaming service (e.g., you don't have to have a cable/sat HBO subscription). That might be part of the netflix decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Earnings report. Bad guidance.