Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Looking forward to seeing how awkwardly MLB's attempt is to make Lorde KC's theme song for the world series. I'm hoping they have her appear on a stage for the opening with fireworks or something and nobody in the stadium has any loving clue who she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My lasting memory of Music+Baseball is Pitbull's awkward ASG performance where:
  • Nobody knew who he was
  • Nobody cheered
  • The announcers praised how well-dressed he was
  • He had like a 15-piece band that awkwardly mimed behind him as though there's actual instruments in Pitbull's music, but they were all like "so we've come to this" and nobody could even limply waggle their hand in time to the song.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Um no the best Music+Baseball was in 2006 when John Cougar Mellencamp was trotted out to sing THIS IS OURRRRRRR COUNTRY before Game Two and the players didn't even bother to stop warming up and stuff.

There was a great picture of Placido Polanco and his ridiculous "it is only like 40 degrees out but I'm dressed like it's the Antarctic for some reason" outfit just looking quizzically at Mellencamp as he continued to warm up and toss balls and poo poo.

e: seriously, what the gently caress was up with Polanco and remotely cold weather? Guy would be so bundled up all the time!

FairGame fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 15, 2014

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

and nobody in the stadium has any loving clue who she is.

I don't know, that song was, like, super popular

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

FairGame posted:

seriously, what the gently caress was up with Polanco and remotely cold weather? Guy would be so bundled up all the time!

It's because you lose body heat through your head

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

angrygodofjebus posted:

I don't know, that song was, like, super popular

Yeah pretty sure most people know who Lorde is.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alan Trammell posted:

It's because you lose body heat through your head

I wonder if Polanco has the biggest head:body ratio of any player in mlb history. Other than Eddie Gaedel, I guess.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MourningView posted:

Even old white people who can afford world series tickets?

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

im sure they do in kc. i bet they beat people over the head with that song being about george brett or whatever.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Alman posted:

Guthrie wearing the "These O's Ain't Royal" shirt to post-game presser. Owns

edit: and Moose with the Moose Dinger shirt god drat

gently caress the Royals and any Orioles fan who supports them in the World Series.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Even old white people who can afford world series tickets?

I would assume. Provided they're the same old white people that have gone to the ALDS/ALCS/Wild Card game, they've already heard the song played at the K over the PA.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

Yep. Randy Marsh.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Royals now the 3rd team to ever start a post season with 7 straight teams. (Granted, it wasn't possible until 1969)

Unfortunately (Actually, completely unrelated.) the last to do it was the 2007 Rockies. Gettin' ready for some Cards Magic / Even Year Bullshit.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Orioles are in panic mode, lineup has Cruz in LF, Young at DH. save_us.PostseasonLegendDelmonYoung.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

armoredgorilla posted:

Orioles are in panic mode, lineup has Cruz in LF, Young at DH. save_us.PostseasonLegendDelmonYoung.

I'm okay with this. If we're going to lose I'd like to lose in a fury of dingers

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Bringing in Delmon against a left handed starter is definitely the right move.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Groucho Marxist posted:

Bringing in Delmon against a left handed starter is definitely the right move.

I actually agree, but you can be assured that the majority of bullshit singles will be landing in left field today.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Haha check out this rube

quote:

After the national anthem, players and coaches who were lined up on the field began returning to their respective dugouts. One player remained until the giant U.S. flag in the outfield was completely folded: St. Louis infielder Pete Kozma.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is Cruz actually better than Delmon in the OF? I agree that both should be in the lineup, but I always thought Delmon was the less bad of the two defensively.

e: Pete Kozma is the fuckin' best, but he's not as good as Joe Kelly and Scott Van Slyke having a staredown

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Young has no business being on a baseball field with a glove.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Kind of surprised that Delmon_Dogg could never learn to be a serviceable first baseman since he's fat and can't move well

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Walked posted:

I'm okay with this. If we're going to lose I'd like to lose in a fury of dingers

They're playing in Kauffman Stadium.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Delmon has a better arm than Cruz but this isn't RF, and Delmon is super terrible at every other aspect of fielding.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
The Royals have been using that Lorde song all season. "Be Royal" was their marketing slogan this season. Pretty sure enough people know that song that an appearance by her wouldn't be completely unwarranted even if grandpa doesn't like it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If it's not Trey Parker in drag, it's not worth the time.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

zakharov posted:

For gently caress's sake you don't assume you're going to win. This is baseball, crazy poo poo happens here LIKE THE ROYALS GOING 7-0 IN THE PLAYOFFS

A 3-0 lead in the ALCS isn't safe I don't think

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

armoredgorilla posted:

I actually agree, but you can be assured that the majority of bullshit singles will be landing in left field today.

Cardinals fans owe a lot to Nelson Cruz's elite defense.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Cue the Benny Hill music any time the ball is hit to LF

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Cue the Benny Hill music any time the ball is hit to LF

I can't shake the feeling Yost will see this as a challenge and put Ibanez in right.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Why don't MLB stadiums have house bands? Better yet, why don't MLB teams have bullpen bands?

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Akbar posted:

Haha check out this rube

He's no Joe Kelly

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Grittybeard posted:

I can't shake the feeling Yost will see this as a challenge and put Ibanez in right.

Much to my sadness, Ibanez did not make the playoffs roster for the Royals :smith:

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

DeepDickPizza posted:

The Royals have been using that Lorde song all season. "Be Royal" was their marketing slogan this season. Pretty sure enough people know that song that an appearance by her wouldn't be completely unwarranted even if grandpa doesn't like it.

That's really bizarre, do they alter the song at all?

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

The O's were so enjoyable to watch this year, and it's all coming down to an unfortunate end tonight after being poo poo-talked by a pinch runner who didn't really do anything this series and having to start Nelson Cruz out of necessity in a spacious outfield. Adam Jones will also record 3 strikeouts on 9 pitches that are not in the same universe as the strike zone.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Why don't MLB stadiums have house bands? Better yet, why don't MLB teams have bullpen bands?

They used to:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Zythrst posted:

Why would they? It was supposedly literally inspired by a picture of George Brett wearing a Royals jersey.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^ beaten by one second.

Zythrst posted:

You know the story of the song right? That Lourde wrote it after seeing a picture of George Brett in a Royals uniform and then met the team earlier this year?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

toadee posted:

Why would they? It was supposedly literally inspired by a picture of George Brett wearing a Royals jersey.

"and we'll never be royals"

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So apparently people from Baltimore were so offended by Jeremy Guthrie wearing the "These O's aren't Royal" t-shirt last night that he felt the need to apologize during a press conference today? Get some thicker skin folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

fknlo posted:

So apparently people from Baltimore were so offended by Jeremy Guthrie wearing the "These O's aren't Royal" t-shirt last night that he felt the need to apologize during a press conference today? Get some thicker skin folks.

Play better or shut up.

• Locked thread